#ThankYouKobe

BringThePain834

Getting Noticed By Management
Well, it has come to this.

After 20 years in the NBA, Kobe Bryant has certainly and undoubtedly left his mark on the Lakers and the rest of the league and tonight will be on the court for the final time in his career. During his time, he won five NBA championships, had a career total of 33,464 points, and made the very best of the difficult task of acquiring the torch from the likes of Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, James Worthy, the now head coach Byron Scott, Jerry West, Wilt Chamberlain, Elgin Baylor, and of course, Michael Jordan. I remember Kobe’s first point on a free throw in his second game against the Knicks. I saw in this kid the same things Jerry West saw, skills and no fear. I could see his killer instincts and desire to be great. Kobe played limited minutes his first couple years and his third year he started. I remember a game in Orlando where Kobe went off in the second half but it wasn’t that he got hot, it was how I finally saw the smarts applied. He pulled up in the key instead of trying to dunk on everyone. He could get any shot he wanted and not the one the defenders wanted him to take. Then the first championship, the second, the third, fourth and fifth, his greatness each year was getting even better. He could cover any 1, 2, or 3 in the game and lock them up. The clutch shots became routine. The rim-rattling dunks and amazing contortion layups and his ability to draw contact and finish in the key. And he rarely back then got knocked off his feet.

Through pain, through injuries, through multiple surgeries, he just kept getting better and better. He literally became unstoppable although Bowen, Patterson, Kirilenko, Prince, Bell, Christie, and Allen all tried. The 30 point games, the 40 point games, the 50 point games, the 60 point games, the 81 point game, triple doubles, etc. He always made you feel he was going to do something you’ve never seen before and did not think was possible, like the three point shot against Portland over Theo Ratliff. He could adjust his shot by arching it higher over long-armed defenders. He had the best mid-range touch I’ve ever seen. I’ve seen him hit left handed three point shots, reverse dunks, 35 footers, hook shots, etc. He could do it all and even the improbable. He did all that not from god given ability but from the best work ethic in the game. The highest basketball IQ in the game, study of the greats before him and his peers. He loves everything about basketball. His fundamental perfection made all the impossible possible. 20 years I’ve enjoyed every moment Kobe has taken the court and although I love the game and it’s in great hands with the players today, it will never be the same. The process of the end was there since the beginning and it’s time, so after tonight Kobe Bryant will turn the lights out. And for me the game will always be slightly dimmer without him. All I can really say is good luck with all you do after basketball and thank you for helping me find the game that much more enthralling.

Do you know how you know if someone is a great player or not? It's if everyone outside of their fan base hates them or not. I'm not a Laker fan and I absolutely hated Kobe Bryant. My all time favorite player is Allen Iverson and who spoiled Iverson's MVP season and kept him from winning the championship? Kobe and the Lakers. Who kept the Nuggets, who I was rooting for in 2009 out of the Finals? Kobe did. Who ruined Steve Nash's last great season in Phoenix when they finally made it past the Spurs in the playoffs in 2010? That damn Kobe did. I hated Kobe so much that it was ridiculous, but I be damned if I didn't respect him.

For this era of basketball, Kobe has been like our Michael Jordan. He truly is one of the greatest to ever do it and I'm actually going to miss seeing him light teams up for 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, or hell even 80 on any given night. He definitely went out like Kobe should have gone out, scoring an amazing 60 points last night in his final game.

Kobe definitely left his mark on the NBA and I wish him nothing but luck and happiness in the next phase of his life.

Thank You Kobe. You were my favorite player. Even when most people hated you, you always made me glad to be your fan.
Scoring 81 against Toronto
Winning championships with and without Shaq. (Couldn't win without Fisher)
To the game winning shots and the heartbreaks
I'm going to miss your smile and snarl.
Great way to end your career!
Thank you again Kobe

I'll be the guy to rain on the parade.

Kobe is overrated, made a career of bloated stats. Never had a season win share over 15, he didn't even deserve the MVP trophy the one year he won it (Lebron James had a better season, and one could argue Chris Paul was also more valuable than Kobe as well), and his impressive shooting numbers are less impressive when you realize that he ranks third all time for field goal attempts, first all time in missed shots, and a career field goal percentage of .447.

Kobe was a great player, but not an all-time great in my opinion. I feel like the fanfare is a little overdone, though. He's not his era's Michael Jordan (not by a long shot), and he's not the best Laker ever (Magic has him beat hands down).

What kind of career do you want to celebrate? A selfish, narcissistic, pathetic excuse for a teammate. The statistics that matters show that he was never the best player in the world, that he ran the Lakers into the ground because nobody wants to play with him, and that his whole career was a cheap MJ imitation.

He was a good player who played selfish basketball and could have become one of the greatest of all time had he just decided that the Lakers were not all about him.

What kind of career do you want to celebrate? A selfish, narcissistic, pathetic excuse for a teammate. The statistics that matters show that he was never the best player in the world, that he ran the Lakers into the ground because nobody wants to play with him, and that his whole career was a cheap MJ imitation.

He was a good player who played selfish basketball and could have become one of the greatest of all time had he just decided that the Lakers were not all about him.

Being the worst teammate ever would be imitating MJ as well because Jordan once told Luc Longely they he will never ever pass to him in a game because he dropped a pass at training once. So anyway Kobe is bad, MJ is worse. People seem to forget that about MJ, so I hope the bad teammate thing for Kobe is dropped in a few years.

As a Lakers fan, I wouldn't of wanted Kobe to play any other way. Dude was straight out vicious, he didn't care about anything but winning, and there is no one I would rather play with than that. I never was one to think Kobe was a ball hog. Takes a lot of tough shots I know, but apart from Shaq/Gasol , no one could generate their offense by themselves. Sorry I tell a lie, Bynum and Jeremy Lin could've as well but would anyone pick them to take a shot over Kobe. Kobe averaged 4 assists a game for his career, more than enough for a shooting guard.

Dude is a great defender which no one gives him credit for. In his first ten years he was a lock in the all defensive first team. So you might of not wanted to play on him defensively but you definitely didn't want him to play on you. The most clutch player to ever play the game, third greatest scorer, 5 time champion and should have more than 1 MVP award.

The only thing I wish I could change in Kobe's career was the off season Lakers acquired Ron Artest. We had just come off a championship against Orlando and now we were going into the off season with a few players coming off the books. Kobe, Ariza and odom (I believe it was odom) all need extensions and we didn't have heaps of money at the time. Odom was easily signed and there was no worries there. Kobe signs next but for a ridiculous amount, forgot what it was but it was like 119 million or something. Lakers then have to pick between Artest and Ariza and we go Artest. Helped for that year but I wouldn't of got rid of Ariza. I would've asked Kobe to take 2-4 million less, chucked that on Ariza and then have a starting line up or Fisher/Bryant/Artest/Gasol/Bynum with Odom/Ariza/ Vucjevic/ Farmar/ Brown. So yeah I wish Kobe took a little less so we could of gotten Ariza as well.

Hard to say he is the greatest laker of all time but the argument is there. Kobe you are the man and basketball won't be the same without ya.

Lakers then have to pick between Artest and Ariza and we go Artest. Helped for that year but I wouldn't of got rid of Ariza. I would've asked Kobe to take 2-4 million less, chucked that on Ariza and then have a starting line up or Fisher/Bryant/Artest/Gasol/Bynum with Odom/Ariza/ Vucjevic/ Farmar/ Brown. So yeah I wish Kobe took a little less so we could of gotten Ariza as well.

The Lakers never had the option of keeping both players because Ariza was traded to Houston for Artest. So yes, they chose Artest over Ariza, in the long run it was a bad call, but they never had a chance to keep both players

The Lakers never had the option of keeping both players because Ariza was traded to Houston for Artest. So yes, they chose Artest over Ariza, in the long run it was a bad call, but they never had a chance to keep both players

No Artest was never traded. He signed willingly for the Lakers on a five year deal. Ariza said he wanted a decent enough pay, Lakers couldn't offer that once we took Artest. Hell we couldn't do it if we didn't sign Artest but I'm confident Ariza would've signed for the mid level exemption. Funnily enough Ariza and Artest both signed 5 year deals for 33 million. If Kobe took less money then we could've had both really if all parties wanted it to happen.

I love when people bash Kobe because everybody all says the same bullshit and they're all wrong.

The statics that matter, WINNING, show that Kobe was among the greatest players of all time. Idc if he took a lot shots or what have you, the man got it done one way or another. Also, I like all this revisionist history that goes on with MJ. His teammates have said numerous times that MJ was the hardest person in the world to play with, but if you wanted to win, you listened to him and played with him. Same goes for Kobe. Also, Kobe isn't the reason people didn't go to L.A. to play, Jim Buss was the reason that no free agents went to L.A. and that the Lakers are now ran into the ground.

Kobe Bryant is one of the greatest players of all time and deservedly so. He was great on offense and people don't give him enough credit on defense. He made the NBA all defensive team 9 times. Kobe Bryant is easily the second best 2 guard of all time behind MJ and probably the 2nd greatest Laker of all time.

I guess some of us will ignore the fact that Kobe has been to the finals 7 times and won 5 titles, has a regular season MVP, 2 finals MVP, was in the playoffs all but his final 3 seasons (only the last one he played over half a season) and is 3rd on the all time scoring list. I'm sorry but you have to be one stupid mother fucker to think a guy like that is overrated or is a cancer to his team because EVERY piece of evidence outside of what you may have heard on ESPN or sports radio says the contrary. Was he selfish? At times yes. Was he a bad teammate? Hell no. He may have been hard to play with at times but he still more than carried his weight and he was the leader of a Laker team that made it to 3 consecutive NBA finals not to mention he was Shaq's right hand man the other 4 finals appearances he was in (the worst of which had him averaging 22 points a game and making plenty of big baskets).

If you look past what you hear on television and sports radio and simply look at his career as a whole it's very obvious he's one of the greatest to ever play the game. The amount of success this guy has had in his career would make LeBron James envious and he played at a level for over 13 seasons that most players (as in every player outside of maybe 5-10) could only dream of. You can talk about him being a shitty teammate and you can talk about him running Shaq out of LA all you want but the fact is when it was time to play Kobe did it and did it at level very few could reach. At the end of the day that's what matters, not all the other BS that really doesn't mean jack shit in the long run.

A lot of people my age or people, who are a little bit younger or older grew up watching Kobe Bryant, so I can understand the sentiment with all the memories and the nostalgia buzz for watching Kobe's last scoring spree. If you consider the circumstances (i.e. Kobe playing a meaningless game on a shitty team), the ending to the game itself was about as close to a storybook ending as you'll get, with the timing for Kobe's run in the fourth quarter, and ESPN constantly cutting back and forth to shots of the crowd going nuts, the celebrities, and Kobe's wife and his daughters.

You also have to consider a sympathetic reaction for Bryant playing a major part in the fanfare for Kobe's last hurrah. Before he made the announcement official, speculation surrounding Bryant's possible retirement was building for a few years, with a list of injuries piling up and it was clear Kobe's body was breaking down. You'll have that crowd that slaps Kobe with the selfish asshole label, but others see an aging and banged up veteran, who's willing to give it his all to help his awful team, because he's a prideful old school guy, who won't quit.

As far as Kobe being an asshole goes, well it's one of the reasons why he's celebrated and praised as a polarizing figure. There's a belief that you need to be this merciless and abrasive assassin, who's not afraid to rub people the wrong way to succeed in sports, in life, or whatever career path you might choose. Love him or hate him, Kobe Bryant is a future Hall Of Famer with numerous accolades to his name, including championships, so of course he'll have a hefty amount of people, who respect him no matter what, and a fan following with supporters, who respect and admire him, because they believe he's a living success story for the take no prisoners attitude and mindset.

With all that said, ESPN and other sports media outlets really had to pump a lot of hype into Kobe's final game, with highlight reels, stats, and flashy video packages. Everyone can't have the perfect, grand send-off, because Kobe Bryant had to take a backseat on ESPN 2 during a layup game for the Warriors to break the Bulls' record.

After 20 years in the NBA, Kobe Bryant has certainly and undoubtedly left his mark on the Lakers and the rest of the league and tonight will be on the court for the final time in his career. I remember Kobe’s first point on a free throw in his second game against the Knicks. I saw in this kid the same things Jerry West saw, skills and no fear. I could see his killer instincts and desire to be great. Kobe played limited minutes his first couple years and his third year he started.

But you're 23. How did you see this in him?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back