Teenage Rebellion

Ptd

HxC
I'm making this thread to get your guys opinions on what exactly gives teenagers the feeling inside of them in which they must rebel.

I, myself am a 16 year old, and I get these feelings all the time, and I am not exactly sure why, but it is just an urge to do things that are not exactly "the right thing to do." First off, I smoke, but that started when I was 12 years old. It started because I was hanging out with this older crew that happened to smoke, and I guess I wanted to impress them (yes, I was stupid). I guess that was somewhat a form of rebellion. Now though, I no longer do it to feel rebellious or "cool", I do it because I am now pretty heavily addicted to the nicotine, and if it were easier, I would probably stop smoking in a heartbeat. That is only a minor form of rebellion compared to some of the things I have done since then. At about 13, I smoked weed for the first time, partly because I wanted to experience this high that everyone seemed to be talking about, and partly because I wanted to feel "dangerous" or "rebellious" in doing so. In the past years I have also snuck out of my house numerous times for various reasons, to hang out with friends, drink with friends, simply take walks, and simply go to the store at mid hours of the night. I've also skipped class many times, and worn clothing to school with profane language and obscene gestures. I am fully aware of all of the consequences, but in the situations I still choose to do these things...and that gets back to my question, why do teenagers feel the need to take part in rebellious actions?

I personally believe it's a mixture of a few things. One of them being, feeling the need to get back at all the stress parents or teachers may give you. At some points, you might just feel like saying fuck you to it all, and feeling like you are going to do whatever you please. The other reason I feel this may all happen (especially in my case) is to experience all that you can while you are young. Think about it for a second, take for example a teenager sneaking into a graveyard, just to mess around. If one was just to see a teenager messing around during the late night in a graveyard, they would probably just think, "Oh, it's just a damn teenager messing around trying to cause some trouble." But, lets say theres a 40 year old man sneaking into a graveyard to mess around at night. If one were to see that, they will most likely think to themselves, "Wow, theres something wrong with that guy, doesn't he have something better to do, does he have some sort of problem?"

What are all of your guys thoughts on this?

I, myself am a 16 year old, and I get these feelings all the time, and I am not exactly sure why, but it is just an urge to do things that are not exactly "the right thing to do."

Just about every young person feels that way. I still feel that way and I haven't been a teenager in a few years. Alot of it has to do with the fact that you're brain and body are growing by leaps and bounds. With more intelligence comes more awareness and understanding. This is how I was led down a "rebellious" path, through wanting to fight injustice. But there's always the flip side that you just want to piss off your parents/impress people. That's about as rebellious as a Bowler hat.

First off, I smoke, but that started when I was 12 years old. It started because I was hanging out with this older crew that happened to smoke, and I guess I wanted to impress them (yes, I was stupid). I guess that was somewhat a form of rebellion. Now though, I no longer do it to feel rebellious or "cool", I do it because I am now pretty heavily addicted to the nicotine, and if it were easier, I would probably stop smoking in a heartbeat. That is only a minor form of rebellion compared to some of the things I have done since then.

I wouldn't really consider smoking to be a sign of rebellion, you're kind of blowing that far out of proportion. I mean, I suppose if you consider the incredibly minor law being broken by smoking under the age of eighteen to be a form of minor rebellion then sure. I'd consider something more along the lines of serious law-breaking to be a case of actual "teenage rebellion" if there is such a thing.

At about 13, I smoked weed for the first time, partly because I wanted to experience this high that everyone seemed to be talking about, and partly because I wanted to feel "dangerous" or "rebellious" in doing so. In the past years I have also snuck out of my house numerous times for various reasons, to hang out with friends, drink with friends, simply take walks, and simply go to the store at mid hours of the night. I've also skipped class many times, and worn clothing to school with profane language and obscene gestures. I am fully aware of all of the consequences, but in the situations I still choose to do these things...and that gets back to my question, why do teenagers feel the need to take part in rebellious actions?

Skipping classes, wearing "punk" clothing and getting high isn't exactly rebellion man. That's your typical teenager's story.

I personally believe it's a mixture of a few things. One of them being, feeling the need to get back at all the stress parents or teachers may give you.

It seemed to me too like I was being given so much shit by school and at home when I was a teen. I thought my life sucked and that things couldn't get much worse. Now that I'm out on my own, I can tell you (and TRUST me on this one) that you will be yearning for that stress once you're out of high school and on to the beginning of your adult life. I miss those "awful" days constantly, I'd trade in my college degree to go back to High School any time.

The other reason I feel this may all happen (especially in my case) is to experience all that you can while you are young. Think about it for a second, take for example a teenager sneaking into a graveyard, just to mess around. If one was just to see a teenager messing around during the late night in a graveyard, they would probably just think, "Oh, it's just a damn teenager messing around trying to cause some trouble." But, lets say theres a 40 year old man sneaking into a graveyard to mess around at night. If one were to see that, they will most likely think to themselves, "Wow, theres something wrong with that guy, doesn't he have something better to do, does he have some sort of problem?"

That seems like a kind of strange explanation, but I understand what you're saying. Coincidentally I lived around the corner from a large graveyard that was always empty which was a favorite smoke/party spot. We used to skip school in their and smoke up while waiting for my mom to leave my house for work in the morning so we could retreat back to my house and smoke/watch movies. So I can totally relate to the grave yard thing, spent many an hour in the one next to my mother's house.

It's a part of growing up. Kids do stupid things. It's as simple as that. But, to avoid an infraction for spam, I'll further answer the question.

I myself am a 16 year old. But, unlike you, I've never felt the urge to smoke, drink, sneak out, cut class, etc. I believe it all comes down to discipline. I'm not saying that your parents are bad parents, but I firmly believe that if they had instilled better morals in you, gave you stricter guidelines, payed attention to where you were going and who you were hanging out with and the like, you'd be in a better position. Now, again... there are cases where the parents are great and the kid is just screwed up... Shoot. Not making friends with you here am I...

Let's transition to school. At school, you're away from your parents and can basically do whatever you want. Well, to an extent. They could have no idea what you're doing. You could very easily say you're going to hang out with Jimmy after school and then go have sex with Jessica in her car behind the movie theater.

Typically, those who majorly rebel have either not been disciplined or raised well enough, or they had bad influences around them. I say it's typically a combination of both. I'm lucky enough to have been raised in church and have had a strong Christian mother. I've gone to private school most of my life. Those have been big helps. I still rebel, but it's simple things like talking back and blowing off teachers and stuff.

Skipping classes, wearing "punk" clothing and getting high isn't exactly rebellion man. That's your typical teenager's story.

Well, I know some of those examples that I gave aren't exactly key on to what some rebellious things are. Trust me, I have done some far worse things in the past few years, I just don't feel like they are needed to be mentioned on a forum, or make it seem like I'm bragging about "things I've done" or anything.

How isn't that rebellion? You're breaking the law, likely disobeying your parents, not attending school, and wearing clothing to be "different" and stand out. If that's not rebellion, I'm not sure what is. Just because a whole bunch of people do it, doesn't mean it's not rebellion. In Iran, a whole bunch of people got very angry about the election results. They went through town and burned things and broke things. A lot of them did it. It's still rebellion.

How isn't that rebellion?

Depends on what you consider rebellion. I'd hardly consider common teenage experiences as "rebellion". By that standard not brushing your teeth is a form of rebellion. I won't be a corporate slave to your Crest police state!

You're breaking the law, likely disobeying your parents, not attending school, and wearing clothing to be "different" and stand out.

The reasons he gave for doing those things are hardly rebellious, he pretty much stated that he does those things for attention/because he want's to be cool. Not exactly rebellious.

Setting a building on fire, that's rebellious.

If that's not rebellion, I'm not sure what is. Just because a whole bunch of people do it, doesn't mean it's not rebellion. In Iran, a whole bunch of people got very angry about the election results. They went through town and burned things and broke things. A lot of them did it. It's still rebellion.

Rebellion and conformity hardly go hand-in-hand 48. Consider his actions "rebellious" if you want, I'd hardly consider buying black clothing from a major corporate chain store to showcase how punk you are to be rebellious.

It's all up to interpretation really. This kid isn't exactly making plans from the Anarchist's Cookbook though.

Rebellion and conformity hardly go hand-in-hand 48. Consider his actions "rebellious" if you want, I'd hardly consider buying black clothing from a major corporate chain store to showcase how punk you are to be rebellious.

It's all up to interpretation really. This kid isn't exactly making plans from the Anarchist's Cookbook though.

Like, I said before, the things that I listed are just things I felt comfortable listing on this here forum as forms as rebellion. I know that they are all very minor, and there are a whole lot of more major things I could have listed, just not on here for the whole world to see. I don't mean to make it look like I'm backing myself up so I don't look like "some kid who just thinks he is rebellious", I just don't like to be viewed that way.

And buying black clothes from a major corporate chain store? Thats laughable to describe me with. Sure, I may have a few shirts or so that I have bought off the internet just because I like the band, but besides that and a few patches an buttons, I basically make all of my own stuff. I buy cheap jeans, rip them up, write some shit with white out onto them, and put a few patches on them, as for shirts I do wear some band shirts, but I have plain black an white t-shirts I'll put buttons or patches on. As for my vest, it is my grandpas very old leather vest, I just threw some spikes, patches, buttons, and white out onto it. But I try to retain myself from giving my money to large corporations as much as possible.

It's both physiological and psychological; I believe it's a mix of pubescent hormones and wanting to escape the previous generation's shadow, it's normal, almost predictably so. For me I went the straight edge route as a matter of natural fact, but I eventually logic'd into the idea that everyone else is getting high, drunk and doing stupid shit so the highest form of rebellion against both people my age and "adults" was to be clean, sober, and smart so they couldn't pull the wool over my eyes or dismiss me for being a know-nothing teenager. Other than that I never did stupid shit because it was well, stupid. Just never saw a point in it. When I did "rebel" it was always by questioning authority or social structure etc. just because I saw it as flawed. The more I look back the more I find even my own experiences rather cliche but hey that's life...

I've never had the Rebellion thing in any sense. I've never smoked, never done drugs, and never even been really drunk. Mostly because I don't feel the need to do any of those things. I don't understand the point of 'Rebellion' at all. It's not cool to act like an ass just because you want to rebel against your parents or school. The whole thing is pointless and the only one losing out is you.

Rebellion is all apart of growing up & almost everybody during their teen years become rebellious in some sort of fashion. I pretty much rebelled during my school days as I cut class alot, I hung with my crew alot to smoke weed & vandalize shit, I sold drugs, I stole a bunch of shit, getting into fights & I pretty much pissed people off in every way shape or form(I've done more rebellious things, but I ain't listing the major shit i've done as I feel that I shouldn't mention those incidents on the forums).

Typically, those who majorly rebel have either not been disciplined or raised well enough, or they had bad influences around them. I say it's typically a combination of both. I'm lucky enough to have been raised in church and have had a strong Christian mother. I've gone to private school most of my life. Those have been big helps.

While the first part may be true, it's also just as likely to be a rebellious person even if you have been raised in a church & have had strong christian influences in your life.

I still rebel, but it's simple things like talking back and blowing off teachers and stuff.

Your opinion is your opinion & I respect that, but I don't necessarily find talking back & blowing off teachers to be rebellious or anything like that. I find that more as a cry for attention or an act of proving that you're a bad ass, but that's just my take on it.

Your opinion is your opinion & I respect that, but I don't necessarily find talking back & blowing off teachers to be rebellious or anything like that. I find that more as a cry for attention or an act of proving that you're a bad ass, but that's just my take on it.

But see, in my life, that is rebellion. That's commonplace for many others, but the way I was raised and the way the people around me in my school were brought up, doing things like that is rebellion. I can't speak for all those at my school, but we, as in my close friends and I, would never consider smoking, having sex, vandalizing things... If we're fed up with something and just want to be rebels, we stand in the face of a teacher and argue with them, tell them no, and walk away. That's a pretty big deal here. It may not be extreme or seem like much at all, but it is.

But see, in my life, that is rebellion. That's commonplace for many others, but the way I was raised and the way the people around me in my school were brought up, doing things like that is rebellion.

I suppose by technical definition it's rebellion. But it's about as miniscule and minor a form of rebellion as you can get. Jaywalking is a form of rebellion by that standard.

When the "rebellious" things like using drugs and skipping school become the norm, they cease to be very rebellious. LigerBomb and his straight-edge viewpoint is much more rebellious.

I can't speak for all those at my school, but we, as in my close friends and I, would never consider smoking, having sex, vandalizing things... If we're fed up with something and just want to be rebels

A) The majority of people don't smoke in order to be cool rebels. They do because it's enjoyable.

B) How is having sex rebellious? By definition it's the most anti-rebel thing you could possibly do, it's the one staple of life that is universal across the entire globe and which is responsible for life itself. I'll give you vandalization though.

Trust me man, telling your teacher off may seem super rebellious now, but it's really not in the grand scope of things. Protesting, that's rebellious.

I suppose by technical definition it's rebellion. But it's about as miniscule and minor a form of rebellion as you can get. Jaywalking is a form of rebellion by that standard.

When the "rebellious" things like using drugs and skipping school become the norm, they cease to be very rebellious. LigerBomb and his straight-edge viewpoint is much more rebellious.

I don't see how following the law is rebellious. :lmao:

A) The majority of people don't smoke in order to be cool rebels. They do because it's enjoyable.

What the fuck ever. That's the main reason people begin smoking.

B) How is having sex rebellious? By definition it's the most anti-rebel thing you could possibly do, it's the one staple of life that is universal across the entire globe and which is responsible for life itself. I'll give you vandalization though.

Pre-marital sex. Religious thing.

Trust me man, telling your teacher off may seem super rebellious now, but it's really not in the grand scope of things. Protesting, that's rebellious.

I know. I mentioned it earlier that it's hardly anything compared to what the others in this thread have mentioned doing. But it's still a form of rebellion.

I don't see how following the law is rebellious. :lmao:

When the majority of your peers use drugs, and you reject that lifestyle completely, that is rebellion. Going against the grain/conformity isn't rebellion? Okay then.

What the fuck ever. That's the main reason people begin smoking.

It's really not. Not many people begin smoking so they can fit in with the crowd, most do it because they are curious as to why adults smoke and what it feels like to. The only people who crumble to minor peer pressure like that are feeble minded fashion victims.

Pre-marital sex. Religious thing.

Opposition to religious "morals" is what this country was founded on.

I know. I mentioned it earlier that it's hardly anything compared to what the others in this thread have mentioned doing. But it's still a form of rebellion.

I agreed with you that it is a form of rebellion, just extremely miniscule.

When the majority of your peers use drugs, and you reject that lifestyle completely, that is rebellion. Going against the grain/conformity isn't rebellion? Okay then.

When the majority of society obeys the law, and you reject that lifestyle completely, that is rebellion. Going against the grain and breaking the law isn't rebellion? Okay then. ;)

It's really not. Not many people begin smoking so they can fit in with the crowd, most do it because they are curious as to why adults smoke and what it feels like to. The only people who crumble to minor peer pressure like that are feeble minded fashion victims.

I suppose you'd know better than I would on this matter, xfear.

Opposition to religious "morals" is what this country was founded on.

This made me smile. Then again, this country was also founded on Biblical morals. I follow what the Bible says.

I agreed with you that it is a form of rebellion, just extremely miniscule.

Then we agree.

When the majority of society obeys the law, and you reject that lifestyle completely, that is rebellion. Going against the grain and breaking the law isn't rebellion? Okay then. ;)

40% of American's have tried marijuana at one point in their lives. Just tried, and that's ONLY pot. That's nearly 100 million people. Yeah, drug use isn't prevalent at all in our society.

I suppose you'd know better than I would on this matter, xfear.

You're right, I would.

This made me smile. Then again, this country was also founded on Biblical morals. I follow what the Bible says.

No, this country was not founded on Biblical morals. Ever heard of seperation of church and state? This nation was founded as a secular one.

Shit being rebellious isn't even rebellious anymore. Does that make sense? Let me explain (I stole the phrase I know, gimmick infringement). A lot of people nowadays are so worried about getting stuck in the norm that they go out and do things to rebel against normal society. But the problem is when one person does it just to say fuck it, I'm doing this for the hell of it, and suddenly more people see that and think it's cool do so, then it's not being rebellious anymore, it's following a trend. True rebellion is fighting for something you believe in that is almost to completely the opposite of what the government or society represents. Smoking weed isn't rebelling, smoking cigarettes isn't, neither is drinking. They're very minor rebellions, if you could consider them to be one at all. Going through high school damn near our entire class drank, a lot of us smoked, and a good percentage of us were blazing up. I don't think of that as rebelling, that was just us going out and getting fucked up and having a good time. Big difference is we didn't do it to piss anybody off. Now when we had a sit down protest over some shit the teachers tried pulling on us, that was rebelling. We were standing up for something we believed in and fought against the system.

A lot of these teenagers today are (and I'm gonna use a RATM song for this) a rebel without a cause. What that means is that they think that doing all this shit is rebelling, but what cause are they supposedly rebelling for? That's the big key between teenagers just having fun and doing what they want against people that rebel for a cause they believe in and will fight for.

Ugh, this is why I dont get into discussions like this, becuase you get a bunch of convulted teenie boppers talking about how much they rebel, and how anti anti they are.

Who the fuck DOESNT experiment with drugs, have sex, cuss out teachers, the like, such and such? How is something that most everyone does or has done at some point, considered rebellion? The second you start looking for a means to define terms like "rebel" and "punk" you defeat the purpose, of those things.

Lets see. I have tons of tattoos, most of them very strong expressions of faith in Jesus. I dont have sex with girls im not in serious relationships with. I dont drink alchohol, or do any drugs. How many people you know like that? Isnt THAT going against the grain, going against the established order? Is that Punk, Rebellious?

None of the shit you guys are talking about has fucking anything to do with what clothing, or what music you like. Its about going against the grain, being your own man. I wouldnt call what teenagers do "rebellion" I would merely call it trying to find your own way. XFear pointed it out earlier, when you begin to become more aware of your universe, you begin to question things. So kids try to find their own way, their own opinions. Its not fucking "rebellion" its just growing up.

The whole rebellious teen thing is becoming such a cliche. And speaking as a teenager, I find it annoying as hell when anybody claims I do what I do because I'm trying to rebel.

I smoke and I drink.
I don't do either for the sake of rebelling. I enjoy both things. I dress the way I want to dress. I swear when I feel it's necessary. I listen to music I like, it's just a coincidence that it's heavy and angry.
Why the hell should I base such aspects of my life based on what other people like or dislike? That's such a waste of time.

And who have I got to rebel against? My parents, who raised me and helped me to become a decent person? My teachers who taught me and helped me know things so I can get a job in the future? The police who lock up people like chavs that would kick the crap out of me if they got the chance? Or perhaps society and the population in general who I have no right to rebel against since I don't know 99.999999% of them? Or perhaps relgious folk like priests? A few years ago I would've gladly rebelled against priests. But now I've learned if that they won't annoy you with their preaching unless you go to them first.

Rebelling is stupid, and there's no real point to it. It never amounts to anything. And most teenagers don't have any reason to rebel and have good lives but are all hopped up on puberty so they get pissed off at people and things that don't deserve it.

Prepare to call Penn and Teller, because -- are you ready for this? -- Teenage Rebellion is Bullshit.

Biological fact: our brains keep maturing until we reach, what, 25 (or something around that age)? As a result, we are biologically inclined to make slightly less-than-logical-and-sensible decisions.

However, coming up with some sociocultural craze and then making it "the norm" for a mass number of young individuals to experience? Something is wrong here, folks. Teenage Rebellion has become an excuse to do stupid shit left and right during the growing up period.

Mind it: I am not saying that teenagers don't do 'stupid' things, they do. It's how they learn, through experience because it is the greatest teacher. However, there is absolutely ZERO set rules for what someone's teenage years SHOULD/HAVE to be. There are glorified exagerrations, and idiotic behavior promoted by the media and encouraged constantly by our society through the ages, but in no way shape or form should, does nor can an individual's experience conform to these ideas and expectations.

I am sick of people saying "it's a phase to talk back to your parents," or "once this teenage phase is over, s/he'll listen," etc, constantly excusing idiocy and disrespect or covering shortcomings.

Bullshit.

Some people cannot get their shit together well into their late 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s, and even later. Some people never "grow out of it," and what do we say or do with those folks? It's ridiculous the lengths society will go to to shift responsibility from itself.

The parents should be able to rear a child so that the kid respects the mother and father, and understands what is okay to do, what is okay to try, in what circumstances, what consequences occur, etc. Inform you kid and then let them make their own INFORMED decisions. And if we want to call that "rebellion," fine. But what we're stuck with today is not rebellion, it's stupidity and a lame ass excuse.

Lousy fucking invention of the teenage cult and craze. Son of a bitch...

I'm late 14 soon to be 15, but I don't rebel. I am young in teenage years, of course, but rebellion doesn't appeal to me.

Where Xfear says smoking, drinking, and soing drugs is not rebellion, I have to disagree. Where smoking and drinking is usually done to be and look cool, it is also done to rebel. Do you honestly think that your parents approve of you drinking, smoking, or doing drugs? I don't think so. So, by doing these things, you rebel against the your parents. Now, telling off teachers, wearing punk clothing, and skipping classes/school, is also rebellion. The school is the system, and it has rules. It is like a government, a system that rules over you. By doing th things I mentioned above, you rebel against them. So, you are basically rebelling against the system.

Now, I myself do not feel the attraction to rebelling, but the subject interests me and I can see what makes people want to rebel. I believe it is a thing in our brains, in our systems, where we don't want to be controlled, which occurs especially in the teenage years, which is why it seems to occur so often in teenage years. We, as humans, want complete freedom, to not be controlled by any laws, rules or regulations. We would rather rule ourselves, have complete anarchy and decide what is right and what is wrong. And I do agree with this to an extent. I believe we have a right and should express ourselves, but not by having anarchy, smoking, drinking, or doing drugs. it is things like these that harm people. But I do believe in freedom, which is why I think I enjoy music and poetry. It is a good way to express youself, to let out you rebellious feelings. but to keep it inside limits. Jim Morrison did it, Jimi Hendrix did it, Kurt Cobain did it, Michael Jackson did it, and even today great minds like Marilyn Mansoin do it. They may sometimes overstep boundaries and indulge too deeply, but all it boils down to is wanting to change the world, make it better. Micheal wanted to, Jimi wanted to, Kurt wanted to, Jim wanted to, Marilyn wants to. But there are boundaries that are needed. Do I believe those boundaries could be better, that some rebellion is needed. Yes, but some rebellion, like teenagers do, isn't the best way. I believe that's why it doesn't appeal to me. The world could be better, but just rebelling in small ways and rebelling by yourself won't change it. We have to change it together, and together means rebellion and anarchy doesn't work.

So what it is is that rebellion and anarchy are done because people want more freedom, want to be controlled less, and want to make the world better. To an extent, it needs to be done, but not by people's own selves, together, and not by overthrowing governments, harming yourself, and going against systems. I'm not quite sure what the right way is, but I know it's not what's considered the norm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back