Talk Show Segments Are Shit

Uncle Sam

Rear Naked Bloke
There are a fair few tropes in professional wrestling that get my eyes rolling like The Undertaker having a seizure - super heel stables, characters with magical powers, the police being called in. Another one to slot into that list, I've recently realised, is talk show segments.

The little logo in the bottom left changes, the lights get dimmed and the ring gets a fancy rug thrown on it. Sometimes there's a televison in the ring, often there's some stools (which are rarely actually used). They're shit. That's what all talk show segments have in common.

Most recently, we've had MizTV, the Cutting Edge and whatever that one Jericho had was called. Oh yeah - The Highlight Reel. That's not me trying to craft an 'authentic' voice, I genuinely remembered as I was typing. Turds, the lot of them.

I've tried to think what, on a fundamental level, is the use of a talk segment. At the end of the day, I've decided that they are no use. Less than no use - they pull me out of the show. Even in the bizarre reality of professional wrestling, they seem contrived. Just why do wrestlers have their own chat show segments? Real sports have interview segments, so that makes sense, but they never had David Beckham come on at half time and interview Thierry Henry before the second half of Man U/Arsenal got under way.

And, despite them just being promo segments with an extra contrivance slapped on top, they still seem to have an uncanny knack for being shit besides.

The latest Cutting Edge was... fine. If Edge had just come back and cut a promo, you'd have had the exact same thing just with different lighting.

MizTV has The Miz in it and, well, The Miz is dislikeable enough without his face credibility being further damaged by the fact that he's the host of a fucking talk show. Nothing says rebellious badass like following in the footsteps of Piers Morgan.

Further to that point, they are particularly useless for faces. You might as well reveal that they own their own fucking beauty salon. RAW TONIGHT: The Miz and Big Show settle their differences... by painting each other's nails, having a nice cup of tea and, perhaps most thrilling of all, asking each other some frank questions.

This is my point about Randy Orton reversed. Randy Orton as a face cut good promos because they were always an attempt to get his opponent out and/or get into a fight. That fit his character and got him over with the fans because it made him seem like a badass. Talking for the sake of talking just makes you look like a pussy.

If you've got a well-groomed, self-obsessed, cowardly heel to get over, let them host MizTV.

The worst was the Flower Shop.
Very few in the history of wrestling have even led to memorable moments.
Piper's Pit and The Barber Shop are the only two I can really think of off the top of my head. Maybe The Funeral Parlor where Hogan was attacked.
I agree they're completely useless for a face. Historically when I think of the talk show segments they're run by heels to bait a face into an attack or for a face to stand up to the host and make them look like a coward. (Bret Hart on The Heartbreak Hotel comes to mind.)
I could do without them.

I agree that these segments are pretty bad and don't seem to make a lot of sense. What's worse is the way they hype these up as if they were some kind of big attraction. The problem is they are the opposite. They are more like an interlude.

If they are to be kept, they should at least make them good. I could suggest that if the host will be "interviewing someone" then have the guest be some not on the regular roster. Perhaps a legend or perhaps just someone whoe wrestled in the past ten years and has since left the company. If edge brought HBK in to ask him about the bryan/corp angle, it would have at least been someone entertaining because of the relationship he has with those involved. If Miz TV was to have SCSA as the guest, then people would give a damn, I'd think. I do think that the whole talk show bit works better with a heel as the host as well.

For the most part they are basically worthless filler/

I wouldn't say they are all shit. They serve their purpose. It's a great way for an injured/retired wrestler to make an appearance without possible injury or getting treated to them on just a Titantron in the back. The fans eat it up and as long as they eat it up WWE will keep spoon-feeding them.

Personally, I feel a talk-show segment only works out right if the wrestler conducting it is a flamboyant heel like "Rowdy" Roddy Piper. That way you know someone is about to get hurt, and you're not just watching two dudes stare each other down as if they were about to ask one another if they wanted to go to the prom. Piper's Pit delivered many memorable moments, so as long as a talk-show is done with more than just "Wrestler A talks to Wrestler B about PPV", than it won't look like entirely like shit.

I get your sentiments, though. But there are worse angles they use to hype up interest. Like contract signings.

They're a mixed bag for me. For every memorable and worthwhile segment there are three or four that feel like a complete waste of time. For me they do help with establishing a character's personality, especially when they're not necessarily being used in a particular storyline (MizTV springs to mind).

I think it's unfair to say there have only been a few memorable moments, as immediately I can think of a few I enjoyed off the top of my head (Jericho smashing Shawn Michael's face through the tv screen in a 'Highlight Reel' segment was brutal and original, Brock Lesner looking dangerous by almost injuring Miz with an F5 near the sofa and when he was throwing objects at him, as well as your classic Piper's Pit and Barber Shop scenes). When done right they can be a real addition to a storyline, they just need to be more consistent in quality for me.

Writing one episode of wrestling is difficult. But then you have to do that 50 times a year. Then you had to do that for the the last 15 years, and then the next 15 years,

Talk shows are just another way to have a variety of entertainment. There are various other benefits, like giving exposure to a worker, or reward someone.

Good vs Evil can only be done so many ways. This one is time-tested and vince-approved.

For the most part, they don't bother me all that much. Sometimes, I find them pretty entertaining. In the grand scheme of things though, I don't think they're at all necessary. The only real reason I can see to do any sort of talk show segment is on the rare occasion when legends like Piper or Edge show up on Raw and/or SmackDown!. Other than that, I don't really see a purpose in having a wrestler, former wrestler or occasional wrestler stand in the ring and either ask them questions or agitate another wrestler. But, in the grand scheme of things, talk show segments don't bother me since they're not used very much.

I find most of them boring considering they are designed to work around heels but for some reason Jericho, Edge, & Miz are running the recent shows as faces... Hell Ryback as the host (If you seen Smackdown, you'll know why) was funny & annoying enough to get the job done. But with that being said. I think the WWE uses talk shows because the norm is played out. Having one guy come out & start talking only to be interrupted will forever happen in the WWE. So why not add something to the table. I think that's where their coming from... It makes it easier on the writers night in & night out.

Don't have anything for these 3 guys to do. Put them on MizTV & in 5 minutes you've got an IC triple treat at the next PPV. Still doesn't mean I like the laziness but it does work.

Agreed. I've never liked talk show segments. Not one. That includes Piper's Pit, The Barber Shop (with the exception of Janetty through the window), Cutting Edge, etc. Then again, Bischoff's talk show on WCW was entertaining because it was just such a train wreck that I couldn't take my eyes off it.

Wrestling talk shows exist more out tradition than necessity, and I'm fine with that. In a bygone era of wrestling, talk shows played an important role in the proceedings. There weren't as many hours of programming, and there wasn't nearly as much talking in general. Back when Piper's Pit, The Snake Pit, The Brother Love Show, etc. were semi-regular segments, they provided a relatively simple platform for angle and character advancement while also offering much needed variety, as OutsiderDX pointed out. If one didn't come up on that, it's much harder to appreciate the trope.

These days, they're superfluous. I'm with Jack-Hammer in that they don't bother me and are occasionally entertaining to me, but again, I entered wrestling during a time when they were something you looked forward to. With Raw and SmackDown often opening and/or closing with long-winded promos along with numerous backstage and in-ring talking segments, talk shows aren't special and rarely add anything that couldn't be added in another way. They don't really add variety anymore because when a good portion of the show is talking, more talking isn't special. The talk show hosts and venues aren't as colorful as they used to be, so they don't do a great job of advancing characters. Their time may have passed, but because they're reminiscent of the past, I've got no qualm with them.

Most of the time you are correct. But they are still typically harmless and sometimes, when they are done right, they can be used to sell PPVs and can be downright effective.

The Bryan/Cena MizTV segment before MITB says "Hello". You can't deny that that particular segment added buys to the show. Maybe the MizTV setting was unnecessary, maybe it could have been done with a similarly contrived vehicle like a "contract signing" or a "debate"- whatever. Either way its an example of turning a talk show segment into a way to sell PPVs which proves that they aren't always "of no use".

You have a lot of shit ones, then you've got Piper hitting Snuka with a coconut (should've hit him harder) Lesnar decking Miz, Jericho smashing Shawn Michaels throught the Jeritron, and the whole Snitsky punting a baby doll thing and then smashing Jericho on the ring post (Jericho's post ring smashing "AAH FUCK" is a special highlight).

Three out of four of those could probably have been accomplished without the talk-show element, but then I doubt anyone would've been creative enough to think of them without the talk show element, also, if we didn't have the highlight reel, we wouldn't have something called the Jeritron, so no, talk shows can stay.

I'm not much of a fan. I think people look more fondly back on the old talk shows for two reasons:

1. Nostalgia
2. The setting felt more imtimate as a tv viewer. It felt like the characters were in a small space. That lack of space put the characters in a situation where both appeared to figuratively and literally have their backs against the wall. Now that they're in the ring it feels no different than any other in ring promo.

I see why they don't use that type of staging anymore. The current set up gives the all the paying fans a chance to take in the show. I just think going back to the smaller set would improve the intensity of the segments.

I think they're fine. Most non-WWE Title feuds get established on these Talk Shows it seems nowadays so you know at the very least you're going to get storyline progression and probably some sort of physical altercation. Truthfully when I hear Miz TV I actually feel like I should watch that part just to see where the particular storyline is going.

I'll put it this way Miz TV vs Mizco Inferno Dance Off... I think we'd all take Miz TV then sit through 9 minutes of a dance competition where the face always wins and where the heel ends up getting beaten up.

Sure I can concede the point that the difference between a Talk Show Segment and a normal promo are pretty slim however there is still value to be found in a Talk Show. For example if Heyman ended up with a talk show interviewing wrestlers would anyone complain?

It's all in the delivery.

They're pointless these days bc most of raw is verbal content, it's seem like everyone is on the mic. Back in the day, things like Pipers pit, Barber shop and Funeral Parlor were used to build angles bc the show were putting on wrestling matches not, just talking for a hour and half on a 2 hour show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back