Syria

Cena's Little Helper

Mid-Card Championship Winner
In case you've been living under a rock for the past week, the Obama administration is contemplating an attack on the al-Assad regime in Syria. This contemplation comes on the heels of a US intelligence report that claims with "high confidence" that the Syrian government orchestrated last week's chemical weapons attack that killed more than 1,400 people (story link).

I want nothing to do with Syria. I, like many other Americans, am tired of US military involvement in other countries. If the UN can't convince Syria's biggest ally, Russia, to approve of a UN-led intervention in Syrian affairs, then so be it. I find it tragic that al-Assad would do this to his people, but it should no longer be America's job to be the world's big, bad hegemon.

Some of the stories have been pretty horrific and terrifying to try and imagine. I know that a lot of the refugees are flooding into Iran at the moment with a big reason being that Syrians in Turkey aren't looked upon fondly by the Turks, so it seems like a desperate all-round situation for these people.

The UK Parliament had a vote on this issue last night and also decided not to go into Syria to intervene. This came as a huge shock as it was believed that the majority party would get their way which obviously isn't the case.

What I keep thinking about is that after all the "we will not tolerate terrorism" and "we will seek out those using chemical weapons" that were used as a way to kick off the Iraq conflict, now that there seems to be a more genuine threat and possibility of a country having and using chemical weapons against their own citizens, both the UK and US have let it be known that Syrian citizens are on their own. Of course a lot has changed in the 10+ years since the whole Iraq thing kicked off but we are seeing now just how dangerous a precedent was set back then.

I have to agree with you for the most part. Unfortunately, an unnecessary military intervention is ill adviced given our weak economy. While my heart goes out to the innocent in Syria being subjected to such barbaric treatment, jeopardizing ourselves for the sake of a nation that is not currently our ally and located in such a volatile region of the world can only lead to more obstacles down the line. We are not the police of the world, and attempting to be only comes at the expense of innocent American citizens.

As much as I dislike what's happening in Syria, I believe it's time that the leaders of the United States stopped deciding that we're supposed to police the behavior and actions of the rest of the world. We've been involved in major military conflicts for over a decade now. Some have been justified, such as going after terrorists in Afghanistan & surrounding countries, and some unjustified, such as our leaders fudging the truth as it pertained to Iraq having chemical weapons. I know, accept and agree that America has to be vigilant and on guard at all times now when it comes taking on terrorism.

As I alluded to, we've policed the world long enough and Syria is a situation we don't need. Americans are tired and weary of all the fighting now as it is, so Syria is just more of a strain. Let the UN step in. Let some of the other 190+ countries that are members seriously kick in for a change instead of 99% of it everything put on our troop's shoulders.

Isn't this why we have a United Nations? I mean didn't we make that to stop wars and genocide and shit. So instead of the US intervening it really should the UN showing some backbone.

BUT, as you all will point out, the UN is a eunuch. All it really does these days and has for years is talk. Correct me if I'm wrong but did Obama really say that the UN doesn't decide for them and they will go into Syria regardless?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back