• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Symphonic Metal - Buried in America, Mainstream in Europe

RicoLen

Wise Guy
If you don't want to read this just skip to the next section, it's cool, I understand.

So I've been a long time rock fan. Started kinda late with Rock, sadly, I was 13 before I really got into music at all, and that band that did it for me was Nirvana. Over the years I've scoured everything I could find on hard rock & metal to find bands I could love, and I've found dozens and dozens (I don't think I'd go so far as to say hundreds yet though).

However, come say 2001-ish, new music seemed to die out, unless you like death growl, which is simply not my thing. And I like talent. Some bands have a great sounds and I can enjoy brainlessly for a while *cough*Korn*cough*disturbed*cough*godsmack*cough* but they get old quick. However some bands, like Metallica, Megadeth, AC/DC, Ozzy, Alice in Chains, and others become perenial favorites and after having listened to them non-stop for weeks at a time, I can take a short break, spice things up with something else, and then come back and listen to them again and enjoy.

By about 2004-ish it got to the point where there was simply NOTHING out there I could find that I liked that was new. I mean really, slipknot is just not my thing. In the meantime I'm branching out to other genre's, I picked up swing/jazz, classical music, and other crap. And I like it just fine, I do, but damn I really needed some kind of testosterone infused music to rock out to, and Metallica, god I love them, but they were getting OLD. I couldn't find ANYTHING and nothing seemed to help. People kept suggesting bands they liked, and anything I listened to never really grabbed me.

So now comes 2009, and by this time I'm thoroughly convinced good metal, and rock in general was dead, D. E. D. dead. :p So in a last ditch effort I decided to go to youtube, and go through their suggestions. I started with Metallica, generic, everyone knows and loves metallica, but I figured the suggestions would be good. I went through suggested video after suggested video not finding crap, and then suddenly I found something I almost liked, it was an old video of Kamelot. They weren't quite right, but it struck a chord with me.

Suggested video there was a song with some bazillion views called Amaranth, by a band called Nightwish... Great, I'm thinking another Opeth type band that's all about worshiping satan, and dark and dismal and whatever, not really my thing, but I hit it anyways... SOB though, that sound was incredible, a little too uh, I don't know, still don't have the word for it, not quite what I'd like, I didn't care for the female singer that much, but it was definitely looking better, so I hit a related video from the same band. A song named Bye Bye Beautiful, and then I heard something else new (to me at least) callback. That same female singer and then a male singer taking turns singing the song, not a duet, but callback, and the male was awesome!

Nightwish, as it turned out had just gotten a new singer, and this new album was the first with her, and people hated her, at least according to the youtube comments. So I picked out an older one, "Wish I Had an Angel" OMFG this was it. This dark, gothic looking band was making music that was not your cliche blood drinking devil worshiping bulls**t, it was melodic, the singers were amazing, the lyrics were palatable. I looked them up on Wikipedia to learn a little about them, found their other albums listened to their singles, eventually bought their albums.

2 years later I'm hooked, and am still finding new bands in this genre. This brings me to why I'm making this thread.

I've found that at least in America, Symphonic Metal is a completely buried sub-genre of Metal, all but never played on radio stations (surprise surprise), everything is rap or pop or oldies anyways. This genre is huge in Europe, and I just wish it were here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now, how many people have listened to much music in this genre?

What are your thoughts about the genre?

This genre is a mix of a classical-sounding symphony orchestra (unfortunately frequently synthesized) and power metal, and frequently has both a male and female lead singer.

Are there any bands you can suggest (that I'm not about to list myself)? Or one hit wonders, Nuclear Blast Europe has some cool little project songs where members of different bands get together and write and perform a song together, and some of those are absolutely incredible.

Here's a list of bands to start off with if you've never really gotten into it for one reason or another.

Nightwish

This is THE symphonic metal band. They're one of the earliest bands out there, and with Tarja Tarunen (remember that name) they were pretty much unique for years. They've grown and changed as time goes on. At this point their best singer is Marco Hietala the male lead and the guy with the epic viking beard, as Tarja was booted for being a diva. However Tarja is quite simply the best metal singer I've ever heard.
[YOUTUBE]ueiOqaSvHp0[/YOUTUBE]

Haggard
This band is actually more like neo-classical metal. Just listen to them, you'll understand why. Not a fan of the growl, as usual, but damn if this band isn't incredible anyways.

[YOUTUBE]2iTlu3STCdI[/YOUTUBE]

EPICA
True to the name, they really are epic. This is the only female singer that (IMO) give Tarja a run for her money, and in many ways I feel is on par with Tarja. Simone Simons is f**king hot too, I put her on my exceptions list. I promised my wife I won't cheat, but if it's Simone all bets are off. :p To which she said: "Fine, I'm f**king Ben Afflack." Deal.

[YOUTUBE]UAlRf9qf9d0[/YOUTUBE]

Within Temptation
Whenever I think of this band, I think of their infamous Black Symphony concert. Sharon Adele is an incredible singer and their music is fairly straight forward compared to some other bands, but their quality is top notch.

[YOUTUBE]JwWRUVVadQg[/YOUTUBE]

Sirenia
This band has had a number of different singers, but almost anyone who likes the genre can find at least one of their albums that they really love.

[YOUTUBE]ouZQ7rgAq-I[/YOUTUBE]

Therion
This is the band that put the genre on the map. Basically the one and only band older than Nightwish. Nightwish may have brought the genre into the mainstream in Europe, but it was Therion that pioneered the genre and they're by no means slouches themselves, in fact, they are arguably the best band in the genre.

[YOUTUBE]-ZtCRJld08c[/YOUTUBE]

Sonata Arctica
This is another one of the biggest bands in the genre. I myself have never really gotten into this band too much, but they have a massive following, so I'll link this song and you can decide for yourself. You'll probably like them, and call me stupid. So be it.

[YOUTUBE]G1zkXdqcajk[/YOUTUBE]

The Diablo Swing Orchestra
This band, technically speaking isn't really Symphonic Metal. They're far more avante guard than Symphonic Metal, however. The singer is almost a dead ringer for Tarja, vocally speaking, and the band is pretty badass. Their sound though is more what I would call Swing-Metal. It's got that 1950's swing band bounce with the bass (violin, not guitar) and the trumpet playing. F**king love this band to death. (BTW this is their only song sung in Latin, the rest is English)
[YOUTUBE]gsmAF9cVPm4[/YOUTUBE]

OK well this is getting to be a huge post, so I'm gonna call it quits here for now. If you want I can add more, and if you want, please do add more. I'm sure there's more bands out there I haven't found. But this will give you a good place to start if you like the genre.

Did you read this "subgenre" on wikipedia or something? A few black metal bands (e.g. Dimmu Borgir) and, even to a small extent, death metal (e.g. The Monolith Deathcult) bands add "symphony" to their music. The term is too broad, but I'm not going to nitpick and allow the music elitist in me to surface. I'll add Symphony X and Apocalyptica to the list just for kicks. And just 'cause I like to namedrop, Beyond Twilight. I'll add more someday 'cause I stopped listening to most metal a while back.

Also, what mainstream radios play "trve metal" anyway? Not black metal (hint hint) but, um, metal beyond the thrash basics or what people call '80's bands "metal"?

Did you read this "subgenre" on wikipedia or something? A few black metal bands (e.g. Dimmu Borgir) and, even to a small extent, death metal (e.g. The Monolith Deathcult) bands add "symphony" to their music. The term is too broad, but I'm not going to nitpick and allow the music elitist in me to surface. I'll add Symphony X and Apocalyptica to the list just for kicks. And just 'cause I like to namedrop, Beyond Twilight. I'll add more someday 'cause I stopped listening to most metal a while back.

Well metal is just such a huge genre, that everything is a subgenre. You could say it's a genre all it's own... really I just don't f**king like to play word games. It's all heavy metal to me.

Music isn't something I go out and enjoy socially. For me, it's really pretty personal. Forum posting is almost the full extent of my socializing about music. So I'm really not up what things may or may not be more commonly called among more socially active fans. Besides that, everyone has their own opinions and I've found that most people are very snarky and snobbish about metal in particular. I mean I've been called a pop-fanboy because I like Nightwish... wtf ever man, I don't give a crap what some snob that probably will kill himself before 40 thinks anyways.

Also, what mainstream radios play "trve metal" anyway? Not black metal (hint hint) but, um, metal beyond the thrash basics or what people call '80's bands "metal"?

That's just it, I've got a few friends that live in Europe and the local radio stations apparently often have 3 or 4 or more stations dedicated to specific genres of metal. Man I can't even fathom that.

I don't believe it's buried as much as you think. I would just rather label it as unheard of. Alot of what I call Niche metals in Europe get little to allmost no play over here unless they are on tour with a bigger metal band in the states.

Both America and Europe have niche metal, it's just europe in my eyes seems to be pushing out from the stereotypica lheavy metal banner. In countrys like Finland and Sweeden metal is very common. That is sort of the bread basket of the metal community of Europe. New groundbreaking and pushing the envelope shit is allways coming out of that area. I enjoy some of it, I won't lie.

It's also about getting the right contacts, alot of bands don't get their cd's shipped to the states. They don't get promoted in the states, because they don't have a distribution contract with a big enough record label to send numbers of cd's outside of their standard area. I believe Roadrunner records does some buisness with Nucular blast records to get American bands over there, and I believe Nb sends some material to the states. Don't quote me on that I've read it someware, but I'm not sure.

So the only way they get their music outside of their "Niche Area" is by doing extensive touring. That's hard for alot of smaller labels to do, so for the most part they don't do it. The festival scene in Europe is fantastic for smaller label and independent metal bands to get found. I love hearing new bands so I check out alot of the festival live video's and lineups every year.

So basically it's not that they are buried in the states. It's just that we haven't got the scene for that stuff over here yet.

But the only real Symponic band that I will lisiten to is Dimmu Borgir. I'm a fan of Black Metal, and no matter what people will say about Dimmu it is very much so Black metal. It's not your tipical I hate got, devil devil devil bullshit. But it's great fucking music, I played in a concert band in school and I've allways had a love for clasical music. Alot of clasical shit is played with Symphonies so when I heard Dimmu I allmost instantly fell in love. The Norwegian Radio Orchestra and the choir they had on their last album was flawless and just made the album in my eyes 10 times better. Great shit.

First off just out of curiosity which band hadn't you heard of yet of the four I mentioned? Now back onto subject. Here's a band that doesn't really fit the sub-genre but some of their songs do.

Iced Earth
[YOUTUBE]Uj5JSYiNrcc[/YOUTUBE]
This is a really good song. Another song that is very similar to this song is
[YOUTUBE]9ZyE2V-BQqc[/YOUTUBE]
The girl on background vocals I originally thought was Tarja from Nightwish but she's not. Her name is Yunhui Percifield

I was looking on line and apparently they have gone through multiple members. The only one that has stayed constant is their rhythm guitarist Jon Schaffer. I have two of their albums "Something wicked this way comes" and "Horror Show". Both of these albums have Matt Barlow on lyrics. Haven't really heard anything from any of the other lead vocalists. Also a station that you should check out Rico is 88.1 out of Akron Ohio. They have a program called Night Rock that plays from 8 to 4 in the morning and they play some of the stuff that most other radio stations don't play. We used to have a station called 107.9 The End and they would play songs that would be considered "underground." I have a few stations I listen to but they mostly only play what is popular in the rock genre. Now I'm not saying I don't like that but sometimes I want to hear something I've never heard before. I just downloaded two apps for my phone that let me listen to other radio stations that aren't in Ohio and I'm going to see if I can find another station from another state that plays some of the more unknown artists.

It's also about getting the right contacts, alot of bands don't get their cd's shipped to the states. They don't get promoted in the states, because they don't have a distribution contract with a big enough record label to send numbers of cd's outside of their standard area. I believe Roadrunner records does some buisness with Nucular blast records to get American bands over there, and I believe Nb sends some material to the states. Don't quote me on that I've read it someware, but I'm not sure.

I appears Nuclear Blast opened a branch here in America, I don't know how recently they did it, but I only recently found it. I feel like a detective trying to find new music I can enjoy. lol

So basically it's not that they are buried in the states. It's just that we haven't got the scene for that stuff over here yet.
I fail to see the distinction. That scene has been around since 1997-ish. That's almost 15 years now. It had a chance to grow when Metallica released their S&M album, and again when Evanescence got big. And I don't believe that it's simply not popular enough to be carried here, I think it's more of a case where radio stations just carry things for the little teens. Any mainstream outlet a musician can use to get recognized will not take music as an art seriously. So they just play crap, and because it's mindlessly repetitive and boring it gets over with mindless people, but maybe I'm just jaded and cynical.

It just seems like anything you could hear on the radio is just soulless crap or 20 years old. That's a state of condition that just pisses me off, because even 20 years ago it wasn't THAT bad. You could still get Pearl Jam, or Alice in Chains or Megadeth or Smashing Pumpkins, as brand new bands with brand new music coming out and it was popular, not because it was mass produced garbage but because it was cutting edge music. The whole music scene has taken several steps back over the last 15 years. My opinion at least, for what that's worth.

But the only real Symponic band that I will lisiten to is Dimmu Borgir. I'm a fan of Black Metal, and no matter what people will say about Dimmu it is very much so Black metal. It's not your tipical I hate got, devil devil devil bullshit. But it's great fucking music, I played in a concert band in school and I've allways had a love for clasical music. Alot of clasical shit is played with Symphonies so when I heard Dimmu I allmost instantly fell in love. The Norwegian Radio Orchestra and the choir they had on their last album was flawless and just made the album in my eyes 10 times better. Great shit.

I've heard their name (Dimmu Borgir) a number of times, and I can't honestly say whether I've given them a chance yet or not. When I find a band with several albums out, and I decide I like them, I get all their albums at once and then just live in them for a few months until I know the ins and outs of all their songs. So I've had plenty to listen to for the last 2 years with all these bands. I just kinda go at my own pace.

Don't suppose you could post a popular song of their here to use as a jumping on point?

First off just out of curiosity which band hadn't you heard of yet of the four I mentioned? Now back onto subject. Here's a band that doesn't really fit the sub-genre but some of their songs do.

The Gathering, was the band you mentioned, I haven't listened to yet.

Symphonic Metal is an awesome genre. I like it because it combines two great sounds, symphonic music and heavy metal rock! My favorite band in the genre is Nightwish, who I have been listening to a lot lately. I am still new to the genre other than Nightwish, but am always looking for more to listen to. My recommendations to any who are unfamiliar are a couple of Nightwish tracks: "I Wish I Had An Angel", "Bye Bye Beautiful", and their cover of "Phantom of the Opera". All are great tracks and a good introduction to the genre for people who might not have heard anything in it yet.

I've heard their name (Dimmu Borgir) a number of times, and I can't honestly say whether I've given them a chance yet or not. When I find a band with several albums out, and I decide I like them, I get all their albums at once and then just live in them for a few months until I know the ins and outs of all their songs. So I've had plenty to listen to for the last 2 years with all these bands. I just kinda go at my own pace.

Don't suppose you could post a popular song of their here to use as a jumping on point?

The Serpentine Offering
[YOUTUBE]eAmMcBQavKE[/YOUTUBE]

Progenies of The Great Apocalypse
[YOUTUBE]e5VmZK3FcLw[/YOUTUBE]

Chess With The Abyss
[YOUTUBE]Q-pHh3_HnY4[/YOUTUBE]

Endings And Continuations
[YOUTUBE]9KyLh69uzZU[/YOUTUBE]

I can't say that this will be your taste, they aren't a totaly symphonic band. Alot of their songs have a backing symphony and some of them don't. They are a great band thought imo. They have evolved from the simple black metal label so much since their first album For all Tid. Good shit if you want to get into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back