• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Survivor Series On Black Friday?

The Brain

King Of The Ring
From 1987-1990 Survivor Series was held on Thanksgiving night. It was kind of cool to have that Thanksgiving tradition, but even at a young age I thought putting a ppv on a major holiday where people were preoccupied with family obligations was kind of strange. From 1991-1994 it was held the night before Thanksgiving. This seemed even stranger to me since that is the biggest travel day and possibly the biggest drinking day of the year. In 1995 Survivor Series was moved to Sunday. It is often, but not always, on the Sunday before Thanksgiving and the Thanksgiving theme has disappeared over the years. The move to Sunday seems to make more sense but I kind of miss the Thanksgiving atmosphere that used to come with Survivor Series.

I’ve always felt the night after Thanksgiving would be an ideal night for Survivor Series. A lot of people who travel for Thanksgiving remain at their location through the weekend. Families may be looking for something to do and many people want to just kick back and relax that night. Those who participate in the Black Friday shopping madness would probably love to unwind for a few hours in front of the tv at night. The people who love to go out drinking on a Friday night would probably not mind sacrificing a Friday considering they most likely got their fill on Wednesday. The Thanksgiving atmosphere is still in the air and people can enjoy their leftovers while watching the ppv.

Ultimately it probably doesn’t matter on which day the event is held. I just always thought Black Friday was more appropriate. What do you think? Agree? Disagree? Who Cares? Let me know.

everyone is out shopping on Black Friday... not to mention Smackdown! what would you do with that show??? you still need the pre PPV build up for that brand..when the SS was on Thursday or even Wednesday SmackDown! didn't exist so they didn't have to worry about building storylines for that show. Just keep it on Sunday.

I figure most people are done shopping by ppv time. I admit I didn't even think about Smackdown, but it can be skipped for one week. SummerSlam was on Monday for the first few years so Raw/Prime Time was skipped. I realize it won't happen. Just an idea.

Yeah totally, its not a bad idea I too loved the Thanksgiving concept..then again I loved the original concept of the SS with all the teams instead of the crappy one "traditional" SS match we get now.

Like Legendkiller said it wouldn't really make sense to overwrite a Smackdown taping once a year for the sake of producing Survivor Series on a Friday. WWE takes pride in their weekly episodic shows and often brag about being a long running show. If they skip one show a year not only does it ruin the chance of getting a bit of payment for a one night rating draw, including the tickets for the Smackdown tapings that they have during those nights. But it also ruins the very achievement of it being a weekly show.

I do get the fact that you like to have the Thanksgiving atmosphere back around. Yet you still need to take into consideration that as you mentioned with the whole "Who would be watching on ....". Well, Survivor Series has been very up and down in terms of attendances every year throughout it's existence more or less. The only years it was truly on top was 97-99. But the rest of the years have been very "inconsistent" back and forth and has been balancing the same kind of attendances as they did back in the 90-94 period of time. So, really it wouldn't make a difference whether it was placed on the week before Thanksgiving or the very week of it. However Friday wouldn't be the solution if you ask me. If they need to implement the thanksgiving atmosphere again, they might as well move it back to the Sundays like in 87-90 or the Saturdays like 91-94.

I disagree. Having it on Black Friday would not be a good idea because people are going to be too busy with shopping. I'm against having a PPV be on any day but sundays. Even though Survivor Series used to be on Thanksgiving, it was still weird for it to not be on a sunday back then. People are for the most part going to be spending that evening with their families. I highly doubt any of us belong to families where every single person likes wrestling. My wife and I do, but on my side of the family everyone else hates wrestling, and on her side her two brothers do but the parents don't. So no matter which side of the family we visited, the parents would be against watching a wrestling match during Thanksgiving. It was unique for its time to have a show on Thanksgiving, but it makes more sense to keep it on a sunday due to that being when WWE's PPV's always are and it's what the fans are used to. Therefore, that's what they are going to expect. Changing it to be on Black Friday would be a bad idea although it's something to think about, as it has come on at even worse days like The Brain pointed out in his post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back