• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Survivor Series 1990

The Brain

King Of The Ring
Whenever there is a discussion of the best Survivor Series I see 1990 mentioned a lot. What am I missing? I thought this was a pretty bad show. Is it just because Taker debuted? A lot of people seemed to like the idea of the grand match of survival at the end. That didn’t work for me. I thought it was pretty pointless. I would rank this near the very bottom of the Survivor Series list, and this is coming from a guy who grew up during and loved the Hulkamania era.

It's not any specific lists. It just seems whenever a discussion of the best Survivor Series comes up 1990 gets mentioned a few times. It's not mentioned a ton but honestly I'm surprised it's ever mentioned at all. I've seen it in a few old school threads in here over the years and just in some other discussions elsewhere.

Terrible show, but I love it.

- The Undertaker makes his debut

- The Gobbledy Gooker

- Awesome teams of The Ultimate Warrior, Kerry Von Erich & LOD vs. Mr. Perfect & Demolition. The Visionaries were cool as well.

- Survivors Returning for a final match

How can you not like the show that debuted the Gobbedly Fn Gooker?!!

I thought the PPV was awesome. You had the mystery man that everyone was anxious to see...but above all else, just look at the card it was stacked. It was an actual Survivor Series with the 4 on 4 elimination matches, not another B-ppv produced by the WWE with a bunch of singles matches in the card with the "Survivor Series" name given to it.

Then of course you had the grand finale which was a cool concept as a kid...but looking back on it now the teams were made only because of faces and heels lol.

I thought the PPV was great because I was so excited watching it as a kid. You cant compare PPVs from then to now. Apples and oranges.

Why is it slways mentioned as a great show? Because you cant go wrong with "1990" and "Pro Wrestling"....it was all great back then!

Looking at some of the figures from a thread I started a few months back in the old school forum on everyone's favorite big 4 ppv's (not the same thing as best but for the most part people are going to like events they perceive as good) and for Survivor Series out of 21 votes, 1990 was tied with 1996 with each event getting 3 votes. The leader was 98 which got 4 votes. Between the three of them, 90, 96 and 98 accounted for nearly half the votes.

1998 wasn't a great wrestling show either. So if WWE give you something to talk about, seemingly all if forgiven.

1998 wasn't a great wrestling show either. So if WWE give you something to talk about, seemingly all if forgiven.

As a whole the wrestling at that event wasn't great, but it was all about the tournament with the two big swerves we got. Rock and Mankind put on a hell of a match in the finals though.

Looking at some of the figures from a thread I started a few months back in the old school forum on everyone's favorite big 4 ppv's (not the same thing as best but for the most part people are going to like events they perceive as good) and for Survivor Series out of 21 votes, 1990 was tied with 1996 with each event getting 3 votes. The leader was 98 which got 4 votes. Between the three of them, 90, 96 and 98 accounted for nearly half the votes.

That was one of the places I saw people prasing 1990. It may have gotten only three votes but considering I think it may be one of the worst of all Survivor Series events I was surprised to see it get any votes. The grand match of survival was a cool idea but it just didn't work. It was terrible and pointless.

I guess I'm not surprised 1998 got some votes since it was right in the middle of the attitude era and the Rock won his first title but that was a pretty bad show too. 1996 is one I can get on board with as being the best. Either that or 1987.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back