Surprise Of The Year

Discussion in '2014 Wrestling Awards' started by klunderbunker, Dec 8, 2014.

?

What Was The Surprise Of The Year?

1. Daniel Bryan Main Events Wrestlemania

2. Eric Young Wins TNA World Title

3. Lucha Underground Is Awesome

4. CM Punk Walks Out

5. Sting Debuts

6. The Streak Ends

7. New Age Outlaws Win Tag Team Titles

8. Seth Rollins Turns On Shield

9. Stephanie McMahon Can Wrestle

10. Daniel Bryan Is Not In The Royal Rumble

11. Paige Debuts, Wins Divas Title

12. Dolph Ziggler - Sole Survivor

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. klunderbunker

klunderbunker Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House

Bet you didn't see this coming.

2. Bagpipes

Bagpipes Top Guys Out

21-1 has got to be the biggest mark out moment in the history of WWF/E, but not in a good way for so many fans.

3. SpoodBeest

SpoodBeest City Dweller, Successful Fella

If this were any other year Sting debuting in WWE would have been the biggest surprise but with the streak ending at WrestleMania 30 this year, it had to be one of the most shocking moments in all of pro rasslin' history.

4. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Rear Naked Bloke

That the streak ending came at the end of such a shit match and such a meaningless feud was what made it all the more surprising. Perhaps it shouldn't be.

Daniel Bryan not even being entered in the Royal Rumble was amazing for its idiocy. Again, surprising. Again, perhaps it shouldn't have been.

5. jmt225

jmt225 Global Moderator

I voted for Sting, even though the internet tried to ruin it.

Just ask yourself this question... 2 years ago, 5 years ago, 10 years ago, 15 years ago, what would you said was more likely, Undertaker's Wrestlemania streak coming to an end, or Sting debuting in WWE? Most people would have to answer Sting finally debuting in WWE.

For that reason I'm voting Sting (well if I'm being honest with himself, I'm also voting for Sting because his debut was awesome and 'Taker's streak ending sucked ass).

6. DontshowfearBunny

DontshowfearBunny Dark Match Winner

Undertaker's streak ending, it probably wouldnt have been that much of a surprise if it ended anywhere between 25 and 28.

7. The Holy One

The Holy One What's really good?

Dammit, why must I agree with you? However, you're right as I've given thought that the Streak may end one day, but Sting debuting in the WWE was just a fantasy booking or so I believed. Even that night at Survivor Series, I was expecting Voices to hit and Orton to be the vengeful hero in his hometown. Then the caw sounded, and everything I thought I knew about wrestling was destroyed.

8. Bernkastel

Bernkastel Reaper of Miracles
    E-Fed Mod

Sting's debut. I told myself that I would not believe anything written about it until I actually saw it, so I stopped putting faith in dirt sheets. And honestly I didn't see his debut coming. Had a big giant smile on my face when I saw him walk out.

9. L@RISANO

[email protected] R.I.P Mustang Sally :( :( :(

I actually curse myself for reading the updates on him being backstage...like you, I also had given up hope he would ever appear, but the update on the dirt sheets going into Survivor Series had me half-expecting him at the event. Sort of spoiled it for me...

That said; the Streak Ended... :icon_cry:

10. Mr. Artistic guy

Mr. Artistic guy Better Off This Way

Once we'd all seen Sting partner with WWE on various projects, his debut was less of a surprise, which is why it can't win here. Not that that, in itself, is anything of a surprise.

The Streak being broken would win this category every single year for the rest of wrestling time.

11. Radical Canadian Goose

Radical Canadian Goose Getting Noticed By Management

Eric Young TNA champ. Who would have ever thought that would happen? I already picked the Streak for moment, and I don't want to relive my anger again, so I pick Young. Sting was ruined by my inability to stay off wrestling websites leading up to Survivor Series

12. Papa Pillman

Papa Pillman I've got more Ho's than Jim Duggan

Aside from Brock ending the streak:
    Brock Squashing Cena at SummerSlam, and Jay Briscoe and AJ Styles' title wins were all FAR bigger surprises than everything else listed by a wide wide wide margin.

So since the streak ending is the only real viable choice given the poll options it wins by default with no real contemplation required.

13. FitFinlay4Life

FitFinlay4Life What's the craic?

Many of you who partake in the WZT will know how much of a Sting fan I am... but I can't vote his appearance at Survivor Series as "Surprise Of The Year". Being an in-ring performer at the start of this year, appearing in the promo video for 2K15 and his appearance on a WWe stage at comic con alongside Hogan, D-Bry and Heyman were massive hints that it was just a matter of time.

Taker's streak ending was jaw droppingly shocking though (irrespective of the quality of the match)... possibly even more so because rumors were already circulating about a possible Taker / Sting match in 2015.