• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Superstars who remind you of Legends?

Ruthless-RKO

F*ck Friends, Rather die wiv ma AK!
It's obvious, sometimes WWE like to bring the old legend back to life but with different superstars...

So which superstar wrestling now, reminds you of any legend of the past or a wrestler that has been wrestling for over 10 years??

I have a few picks..

Randy Orton to Stone Cold: We have all seen the comparisons as of late, with the way they act, viper vs rattlesnake, tweeners, attack random people etc..

John Cena to Hulk Hogan: An obvious one, Cena is this PG era's face as Hogan was the 80's PG era face!!, both are more liked by the little kids, they main event every wrestlemania..

Don't just agree or disagree with me, let me know who you think are alike??

i think Cena reminds me of Austin a little bit, but he tries to act like the rock.

Morrison and Kendrick both remind me of HBK because of their look and move sets.

Sheamus reminds me of HHH.

John Cena and Hulk Hogan: They both win no matter what. They both job the entire match and suddenly come back to win in the end. They both have a total of 5 real moves. They both capture the fans that are looking to ride the WWE product. They are both well known for their mic work and intense promos. They're both "real American" superstars. They are both in the main event a whole lot more than the "smarter" fans would like. All Cena needs to complete the package is "Hulkamania". Hulkamania was more than Hulk Hogan. It was the state of the wrestling back in the 80s and early 90s. It was a monster of it's own. I thought Cena had something with the "chain gang", the Cenation, and all the other things he's come up with over the years. But, they've never really caught on as much as Hulkamania. Cena just needs that one thing to immortalize him in the business forever.

The Miz and Chris Jericho: I know, Jericho is still around, but he's a living legend in the business. Jericho made his debut interrupting the Rock and mouthing off to the Great One. He was well known for questioning authority, being an ass, and speaking his mind. Miz reminds me of a young, heel Y2J. His famous "really!?! really!?!" line is totally something Jericho would have said. I can't make the same comparisons that I can with Cena and Hogan, but the similarities are there.

I have never fully understood the Austin/Orton comparison. I think people are reading into it to take what they want, but I really don't think the WWE are trying to book him as a new Austin. Orton is more of a viper than Austin was ever a rattlesnake.

Morrison for HBK, hes exactly like a young HBK only Morrison isn't that young and he doesn't *currently* have the mike skills, but the moves JoMo pulls off are totally reminiscent of HBK

I see a similarity between Randy Orton and Shawn Michaels. Although they don't have really any moves alike, Randy Orton is currently taking a path that HBK sometimes took. You know, really over superstar which many people love heel or face, yet not THE face of the company, merchandise seller, unique gimmick, nice finisher with a lot of ways to taunt it up and a surprising one at that, and both talented on the mic. While they are also very different, Randy Orton is really getting the HBK treatment from the fans, because you could compare John Cena to Hulk Hogan, like a previous person has, and get this product:

John Cena/Hulk Hogan: THE Face of the company, young people and old alike like this wrestler for their Average Joe yet super gimmick, nice guy tactics, clean victories, and innovative techniques (John Cena's Spinner Belt and "You Want Some, Come Get Some!, Hulk Hogan's "Hulkamania" and "Brother!), and various kinds of merchandise.

Randy Orton/Shawn Michaels: The possible second biggest face/biggest heel for the flagship at different times, yet when heel, everyone seems to like the gimmick, and when face it's just all out riot as far as cheers go. People tend to like them for their unpredictable and surprise strikes (Shawn Michaels' Superkick on his friend ex: Hulk Hogan, Marty Janetty; Randy Orton's RKO out of nowhere on some of the most respected and biggest faces in the company, ex: John Cena, Vince McMahon at one time) and their typical badass attitude.

It's just there between Randy Orton and Shawn Michaels as far as fame goes for me.

Randy Orton reminds me of Stone Cold Steve Austin. He is a loner, he can pull off his finisher out of nowhere, and he doesn't seem to have any fears. Now, even though Randy Orton doesn't drink beer non-stop, I still think they are very similar.

John Cena reminds me of Hulk Hogan. He is the face of the company and he is very "superhero"-like. What I mean by that is that he isn't easily beaten and he prevails against all odds.

If I had to choose a current WWE superstar and a legend he reminded me of, I would put my neck on the line and say that Kofi Kingston reminds me of Koko B.Ware. I guess the main comparison I make between the two is that they are two high-flying, fast-paced faces who genuinely look like they enjoy themselves in the ring. Bar Kofi's feud with Orton towards the back end of '09, Kofi is always presented as a fun-loving dude who is extremely enthusiastic about his wrestling. When he comes down the ramp with that huge grin on his face, I can really see a lot of Koko coming through him.
Another comparison I feel could be made depending on how they are utilised on SD!, is between The Dudebusters and Edge and Christian. Just the way The Dudebusters come across on the mic as a pair of young, arrogant 'dudes' draws a lot of parallels between E&C's old '5 second pose' shtick and reminds me of a time when your heels didn't have to be totally void of humour. Again, I must stress that this is only a minor comparison as I don't think it's fair to compare a tag team that barely get on SD! to one of the greatest tag teams of the '00s.

I see a lot of Triple H in Drew McIntyre, Drew is Vince's right hand man just like Triple H was in 2000. Both received heavy pushes at the beginning of their runs which stalled, and to me the Future Shock looks like the Pedigree kind of.

Very nice thread Ruthless-RKO, very nice thread indeed. Anyway it's time for me to answer your topic question.

John Cena is very similar to Hulk Hogan in terms of how he is booked and how remains to keep himself as over as he is. However Cena's witty humor and great work when it comes to the stick is something that makes him more entertaining than Hogan was. Even though Hogan was great at cutting a promo as well. The only other similarity between Cena and Hogan are the eras these two wrestled in, which were for the most part family friendly wrestling eras. They were the two top faces because kids idolized them as heroes, they sold the merchandise and where the biggest draws while on top.

Another similarity in legend to current superstar would be between "Ravishing" Rick Rude and "Dashing" Cody Rhodes. The two gimmicks being very similar therefore getting themselves over in a similar fashion. Rude was leaps and bounds better on the stick than Rhodes, and don't get me wrong Cody isn't that bad of a talker but when it comes to a gimmick they both have similar characteristics to it. Both are self pro-claimed ladies men, make ladies confess on how attractive they are, and are always about looking their best and sexy at all times. two completely different wrestlers, with a very similar gimmick.

The similarities between Orton and Austin are very vague. The two men didn't care about anyone, or they don't care about any consequences they may receive for their actions. The two just go down to the ring to get a job done and that would be kicking some ass. Other than their priorities Orton and Austin aren't nearly the same and when I think of Orton or Austin I just think of one or the other without thinking that either of them remind me of each other.

The Orton/Stone Cold comparison is obvious. They both have the heel characteristics while still remaining a huge face. They play the loner role great and even their finishers are just about the same. The Cena/Hogan comparison is also obvious. The biggest face and overall face of the company. But another comparison I see is The Miz and Chris Jericho.

The first and most obvious similarity is the mic skills. They are both fantastic on the mic and greatly excel on the mic as a heel. Both of them are great heels and their heel gimmicks are very similar. I would imagine that The Miz as a face would be similar to Jericho as a face as well. Even their builds are the similar. I know Jericho is still active, but he is still a legend. The only thing that I see different between the two of them is ring skills. Jericho is miles ahead of Miz, but other than that, I see a lot of Jericho characteristics in The Miz.

Randy Orton/Stone Cold : The whole viper thing reminds me of the rattlesnake thing. and the rko kinda reminds me of the stunner. both have similar personalities. not giving a shit about anything but winning the wwe championship and kicking whoever pisses them off's ass.

John Cena/Hulk Hogan : Back when the wwe was pg Hogan was the face. and now its pg with Cena as the face. and they both have personalities of a strong guy who kids cheer for all the time.

Edge/Bret Hart : I know this sounds wierd. but the way edge returned as a face and then turned heel by being jealous of how the fans are behind orton. is really similar to the Hart/Austin feud.

The Miz/Chris Jericho : The're both great on the mic. and can really get the crowd to boo them. and now Miz uses Y2J's old finisher The Breakdown and calls it The Skull Crushing Finale.

Dolph Ziggler/Mr. Perfect : Dolph has the "Perfect" thing going on but not as good as Perfect used to do. but he still reminds me of Henning because of the whole cocky blond young perfectionist Personality.

John Morrison/Shawn Michaels : John Morrison's in-ring ability, good looks, and "Hot Shot" personality reminds everyone of a young, up and coming HBK.

Drew McIntyre/Triple H : Drew has that "Gentlemen" persona that HHH had when he first came to the WWF. and now i see drew becoming a Badass like HHH was when he was heel.

i can go on and on, but thats all i have for now.

Mvp/ D'Lo Brown: Ok on the mic the crowd likes him but everybody knows he will never be champion. John Cena/ Stone Cold: ppl seem to forget that Cena is a loner a merchandise machine and although he is pg he still bad ass because he always gets his revenge. Orton only has the similarity in nickname and finisher he doesn't have the charisma of STSA.

There have and are heaps but people have already named the one I was going to say so I will just name a couple that have bot being mentioned.

Big Show And Andre The Giant
Just there whole giant but face thing, people go to shows just to see how big they are, both were ok wrestlers for their height Big Show probably better.

Ted DiBiase and Ted DiBiase
Duh!

They are just two but I am sure there are more, again I wanted to name two that hadn't been mentioned so that's why I named two kind of ridiculous ones.

Cena/Hogan: Both big, strong, and can unrealistically beat anyone (superman). They are both role models for kids, bot faces of the company, etc. What would make them even more alike is if John Cena has an amazing heel turn like Hogan, which will eventually happen.

As for the Miz/Jericho comparison, I don't see it. Chris Jericho, IMO, is one of if not the best wrestler(s) in the world. Miz just doesn't cut it.

Orton/Austin: There will never be another SCSA ever. End of story. Just like there will never be another Rock.

Sheamus/HHH: I see it a lot.

I am going to go with new comparisons that many are not making. I figure because most of the WZ community are too young to remember the Original Legends.

Husky Harris / Dusty Rhodes
- Similar Body, Crazy Agility and Able to move in ways a big person is not usually accustomed to. Dusty had a unique look and style that made him a legend. Husky has alot of those same qualities but also has a bit of his grandfather - Black Jack Mulligan - Interesting fact. Husky's Granddaddy and Dusty were tag team champions in Texas.

Rey Misterio / Mil Mascaras
- Mil was the original luchador that broke into the WWF as a major star and legend. When he came to MSG to wrestle Billy Graham, the match sold out even though WWF wouldn't allow Mascaras to win the belt because they had a rule that stated masked men couldn't be world champ. But Rey embodies Mil although his nephew [ Alberto Del Rio ] is in WWE.

Percy Watson / Johnny B Bad - Both had little Richard Gimmicks with the same southern soul music. Percy ripped this gimmick directly from Johnny B Bad. Johnny was wrestled in WCW and had a great run as US Title. I think percy will go far since he gets the crowd going like johnny.

Let see who else can go old school.

interesting, well I could say all over again all the Orton/SCSA or Cena/Hogan but I'm going to say one that isn't AT ALL obvious, but for me it makes sense:

Randy Orton/Triple h: first of all HHH is one of the "living legends" of the E, and I mean that he is still active, injured but not retired. now HHH has meant a lot for Orton's career obviously but just for that they have similarities. when Orton was heel, he was a loner. but the similarites are in gimmicks: the cerebral assasin and the sadistic viper. I mean both looked like crazy fucks!being very sadistical, having egos as big as the MSG, always wnated the title and if it was necessary they would kick the ass of their ow mothers. oh and obviously evolution/legacy the same concept, the future of the biz.

Gotta agree with the austin/orton comparison. the similarity is gettin more n more obvious. both have the snake connection, both have the finisher out of nowhere on anyone face or heel. both having the same connection with the fans although austin will never be topped for fanbase.

might get flamed for this but cody rhodes always got me as a throwback to the days gone by in wrestling with the way he sold in the ring and acted out of it. not so much he reminded me of a legend more of an era in the biz.

This might sound odd. But I somehow see a comparison between Wade Barrett and Triple H. Both have this kind of calming kind of heel talk. The promos Wade has been cutting on John Cena compared to some of the promos Triple H would cut when he was with Stephanie in the McMahon-Helmsley era.

And one I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned. One of the most obvious ones would probably be Jack Swagger to Kurt Angle. They both have the backgrounds. Hell WWE seemingly is copying Kurt Angle in Swagger. Not that I have a problem with it. But it definitely shines through. The only thing that probably has these two set apart is the fact that with or without the lisp - Kurt Angle is better on the microphone. Probably overall a better talent as well. But they're both very alike nonetheless.

I think Chris Jericho and the showstopper. The move set has its similarities and mic work was also close - the best in the world at what you do seems a bit similar to the showstopper and main event, for instance. it goes further if you consider Y2J circa 2000, visually, he had a touch of the HBK. More importantly than anything though, both guys can make you in the WWE by putting on a stellar performance that only those two are capable of.

John Cena- Hogan: Obvious reasons

Randy Ortyon- Stone Cold- Badass faces who do what they want

JoMo- HBK: Moveset

Miz- Jericho: Heels who care about themselves and are greaton the mic and ring

Cena/Hogan - Agree with all above. Hell they power up almost the same way.

Orton/Stone Cold - Definately playing the tweener and are able to hit there finishers out of no where.

JoMo/HBK - There a friggen spitting image of each other. The only thing is Morrison is lacking that unpredictable finisher.

Miz/Jericho - Miz has taken Jericho's old gimmick and I'm loving it. He doesn't care whoyou are and he's got enough of a mean streak in him to back up any threat.

Evan Bourne/Rob Van Dam - Okay, okay, I know that RVD isn't a legend or recognized by WWE for that matter. But to say that Evan Bourne doesn't fill the shoes that RVD left is absolutely wrong.

And as far as in ring ability goes.

Randy Orton/Bret Hart - Again hear me out. Bret Hart was the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be, because of his in ring presence and his ability to do and counter almost any move. And if you don't think Randy fits the bill then I personally think that you havent been watching Orton's matches...or Last monday's Raw. lol.

Cena - Hulk Hogan: Because they both lose very little matches and have been faces in different Eras,Hogan: 80's boom and Cena: PG Era but one difference between them is Cena can wrestle,Hogan can't wrestle out of a paper bag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back