Summerslam in UK again/PPV's in UK?

Dilligaf

Topic Killer
Wrestlezone News said:
The Sun in the UK has an article out referencing Dave Meltzer's report about WWE officials in secret talks with London officials about hosting a major pay-per-view in a stadium. The article mentions SummerSlam 1992 as well as England native Wade Barrett's comments on the situation.

The following is an excerpt from the article:

Dave Meltzer reports that officials are due to meet with representatives of Cardiff’s Millennium Stadium today and have already spoken to Old Trafford and ‘a stadium in London’, believed to be Wembley.

The original Wembley Stadium hosted SummerSlam in 1992, arguably the most important wrestling event to ever occur on these shores.

Along with featuring the likes of Randy Savage and the Undertaker, the pay-per-view was headlined by one of the greatest matches in history – Bret The Hitman Hart v The British Bulldog Davey Boy Smith.

It’s thought that if WWE can hammer out a deal with a British venue for 2013, SummerSlam would return for the 21st anniversary of that memorable show.

More than 80,000 fans attended SummerSlam 92, which is officially WWE’s second-highest recorded attendance ever, behind WrestleMania III, for which the genuine number is often queried.

Despite the huge gate, WWE have never produced an international PPV outside of North America since then, largely due to a mix of a poor domestic buy rate, logistical costs and time-zone issues.

For a time, WWE produced UK-only PPVs such as Rebellion and Capital Carnage for Sky Box Office, but stopped in 2002 as sales dwindled.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/wrestling/4636232/WWE-eye-UK-return-for-SummerSlam.html

If this were to happen, for me it would be a welcome return, especially as WWE & TNA are really popular over here in the UK, it was a shame WWE couldnt do it this year, as it would have been the 20th anniversary of Summerslam 92.

A mate of mine who works a delivery driver, asked me about this today, and if it were to happen would I be interested in going (as he has a car) I said "Damn Right"

The only problem is, it would have to be in a stadium with a closed roof, as the summers have been crap the last 10 years or so, with the rain washing out our summers.

So, what are your thoughts if WWE & UK meetings can pull this off?

Was it Capital Carnage that had Vinnie Jones appear on it?

Just get Joey Barton for this one. I would pay good money to see Triple H pedigree Joey!

I'd definitely go especially as I've yet to go and see any live WWE show :(

I would've gotten myself a ticket if I knew RAW was gonna be in my area last week. I marked a little bit when they showed a shot of Selfridges/The Bullring.

If it's a big one they would as you also have the Europeans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back