• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Summerslam 2002: A Retrospective Look

Dagger Dias

One Winged Admin
Staff member
Administrator
This summer I'll be looking back on each of the previous Summerslam events, one by one. Every few days I will submit a new topic until we reach 2014's edition of the 2nd biggest brand in WWE.

This thread will be for discussing.... Summerslam 2002!

SummerSlam_2002.jpg

Summerslam 2002 took place on August 25, 2002. It was held at Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum in Uniondale, New York. Here are the results of the matches from this show:

0. Spike Dudley defeated Steven Richards singles match (02:35)

1. Kurt Angle defeated Rey Mysterio by submission in a singles match (09:20)

2. Ric Flair defeated Chris Jericho by submission in a singles match (10:22)

3. Edge defeated Eddie Guerrero in a singles match (11:47)

4. The Un-Americans (Lance Storm and Christian) (c) defeated Booker T and Goldust in a tag team match for the WWE Tag Team Championship (09:37)

5. Rob Van Dam defeated Chris Benoit (c) in a singles match for the WWE Intercontinental Championship (16:30)

6. The Undertaker defeated Test in a singles match (08:18)

7. Shawn Michaels defeated Triple H in an Unsanctioned Street Fight (27:20)

8. Brock Lesnar (with Paul Heyman) defeated The Rock (c) in a singles match for the WWE Undisputed Championship (16:01)

Now, here are some discussion questions concerning the event:

What was your favorite match on this show, and why did you like it the most? What about the worst match of this show, why did you like it the least?

If you could change a few things about Summerslam 2002, what would it be and why?

You may only use wrestlers who were available at the roster at that time or make changes that could have realistically taken place in August 2002. Please keep in mind the situations going into the show such as who could actually have been pushed into a title match, or what songs existed back then if you wanted to change the show's theme music, and so forth.

You may only discuss Summerslam 2002 in this thread. The remaining Summerslam events will be getting their own retrospective threads, any posts regarding other events will be considered spam and you risk getting an infraction.

Discuss! :)

We have arrived at what many, myself included, consider to be the greatest SummerSlam. This was an awesome show. Just about every match on this show delivered. Angle vs. Mysterio, Edge vs. Guerrero, and RVD vs. Benoit were all very strong matches. The tag title match was a good one as Booker T and Goldust had some unexpected chemistry together. Jericho vs. Flair was a bit disappointing but I can forgive that as Flair had only had a handful of matches over the past couple years and was obviously several years past his prime. The main event was intriguing with Lesnar becoming the top guy so quickly.

The match of the night was Triple H vs. the returning Shawn Michaels. It felt like 1997 again. I felt like I was in high school again watching another HBK classic. HBK was away from the ring for over four years and he didn't miss a beat. I thought Michaels would be able to deliver a good match but I wasn't expecting a classic. Not only was it a classic but it may have been even better than anything Michaels ever did before. This is one of my all time favorite matches. HBK and HHH told an awesome story in the ring and the crowd was way into it. I literally popped out of my chair from home when Michaels got the pin. That hardly ever happens. This is one match I never get tired of watching and if you've never seen it you need to go watch it right now.

My least favorite match was Undertaker vs. Test. I just wasn't buying Test as a good opponent for Taker. Taker was having such a good year in 2002 and this just felt like a throwaway match. I guess it was done to turn Taker face again but Test was underwhelming.

Once again I'm having a hard time thinking of any changes. I'd like to find a better opponent for Taker. Maybe Jeff Hardy? Hardy and Taker had an awesome ladder match on Raw in July which Hardy almost won. Maybe they could have don a rematch at SummerSlam. Hardy should have really benefited from that ladder match but for some reason he was left off SummerSlam. Then if there was enough time maybe do Test vs. John Cena. Cena was new to the WWE and got off to a nice start by almost beating Kurt Angle in his debut and then beating Chris Jericho at Vengeance. He could have kept his momentum going by going against the UnAmericans.

An absolute amazing PPV. The match quality was outstanding & so was the storytelling.

Angle v Mysterio is always a highlight for me, but two (really obvious) things really standout from this Summerslam; HBK's return & Brock's title win.

I'd never seen HBK wrestle so this was a treat. That Street Fight had everything you could want from a PPV standard brawl. Shawn & Haitch probably stole the show with that one.

The title match is somewhat more poignant for me. This for me was the climax of the "People's Champion" Rock in his absolute prime as a face. It even feels that way with the poster, as though he's done it all & is now looking into the sunset, which in a way almost foreshadowed the Hollywood Rock heel turn. I hated the change as a kid & as such never really warmed to Lesnar even when he turned face (kid logic) but the match was great & the storytelling on Rock & Heyman's part was decent.

Overall, a PPV that you simply have to go back & see.

THis is my favorite PPV of all time. I have watched it three times on the WWE Network already. From top to bottom the entire card was great.

Without a doubt the greatest SummerSlam of all time and one of the greatest wrestling PPVs of all time. All the matches on this show are to notch and the fact that matches like Chris Benoit V. RVD and Edge V. Eddie Guerrero are forgotten just shows the sheer quality of wrestling this PPV provided. The opening match between Kurt Angle and Rey Mysterio in my opinion is the greatest opening match in WWE history, maybe only topped by Bret Hart V. Owen Hart at WrestleMania 10. The main-event between Brock Lesnar V. The Rock had a similar atmosphere to Hogan and Rock at WrestleMania 18, where the fans were booing The Rock out of the building. You also had HBK returning, and other great stuff throughout the night. It's hard to argue that this is not the greatest SummerSlam of all time.

Hands down the top three Summeslam card of all timez.. Very great matches,awesome story telling from top to bottom.. Angle vs Rey one of the best matches ever,great story telling and both of them battled their hearts out! Angle underestimated Rey,and almost paid dearly for it..

I personally would have changed one aspect,I would have had Edge go against RVD,and had Eddie go against Benoit.. When Benoit and Eddie battled,it was pure genius and just something special to watch.. God I miss those two battling,we just dont see technicians like those anymore..

HBK vs HHH again was something special,HBK missing four years from the ring,he came back and didnt miss a single beat.. That was a brutal brutal battle from beginning to end.. They put on some amazing matches,and i still go back and watch their encounters..

The Rock vs Brock match was something special as well.. We all kinda knew Brock was going over,as this was the first time the Rock went Hollywood on us with Scorpion King! Still though the Rock trained for Speed and Quickness while Brock just trained for just brute strength!

It was something unique to see the Rock RockBottom Paul Heyman,while Taz is screaming Thank you,Yes there is a God

SummerSlam 2002 is far and away the best ppv event of this series. top to bottom, the matches delivered in a big way. only a few minor changes for this, a great ppv for the biggest party of the summer.

Angle/Mysterio as the show opener is a forgotten classic and a perfect way to kick off the event. i'd leave this exactly as is.

the Tag Team Titles Match was surprisingly fun between the UnAmericans and Booker/Goldust. no changes here either.

Flair/Jericho was not the classic that it could have been had both men been in their primes. obviously that was not gonna happen with Flair at this point in his WWE career. i really enjoyed his Street Fight against Vince McMahon at the Royal Rumble and his brawl with Taker at Mania, but this match with Jericho just kinda fell flat. i think a big part of that was the build up. i'm not sure why they were fighting. maybe give this match a build similar to Jericho's storyline against the legends for Mania 25 and this would've delivered a bit better. still, i enjoyed seeing Flair win a match via submission.

Test was not a good opponent for Taker at SummerSlam. not the second biggest show of the year. not for any of the Big 4 really. Test vs. John Cena as Brain suggested works for me. give Test an opponent still and keep Cena's momentum rolling.

RVD/Benoit was very solid but seems kinda lacking to me. not sure what it was or why that is, but i'd switch this around. i'm guessing that RVD was the face, since he almost always is, and Benoit was the heel. assuming that's correct, i'd pair up RVD with an ECW alumnus. because i never watched ECW during its pinnacle, there are numerous matches and feuds that i had not seen at that point. since then, thru dvd collections and the Network, i've been able to see those matches but it would've been a treat to watch at this show. thus, i'd do RVD vs. any one of the following opponents for the Hardcore Title: Jerry Lynn, Rhyno, Sandman, Tommy Dreamer, Sabu, etc. i'm saving Benoit for later.

Edge/Eddie was a great feud and i loved their matches together. they had a Street Fight on Smackdown around this time that involved a ladder in the finish, so i'd do a Ladder Match at SummerSlam to settle the feud. make it for the IC Title too.

now for Taker, since i'm ditching his actual opponent of Test, i'd give him a match against Benoit. i can't remember a one-on-one match that these two ever had, and certainly never on a big stage. Taker was really coming into a new phase of his career as a versatile competitor and technical powerhouse combo. a match with Benoit would have been fantastic. i get the whole American Badass vs. UnAmerican that they did with Test, but it was a very underwhelming match. do Taker/Benoit instead.

match of the night, bar none, is absolutely Triple H/HBK in the Unsanctioned Street Fight. the build up and the mic work and the ring psychology and everything in between was so perfectly done. just epic. these two had so many great matches together in a multi-year feud, but this one might be their best. and SummerSlam gave it that big match feel and certainly gave HBK the right kind of stage for his return.

Rock vs. Brock for the WWE Title was amazing. the match wasn't a masterpiece by any means, but the build was good with Rock and Heyman interacting with each other on the stick and Rock's training videos, etc. i was surprised at the finish with Brock winning and becoming THE guy so quickly in his WWE career, but it was the right call.

again, overall this was a great card and is my favorite SummerSlam ppv event thus far. but i would have done a few switches to capitalize on some of the missed opportunities and talent that was available.

This was a phenomenal PPV and in my opinion this is the greatest Summer Slam of all time by far.Only 2 changes I would have made to the PPV will be having following matches:
1.Jeff Hardy defeating The Undertaker instead of Undertaker vs Test.
2.Have John Cena defeating Test and get a big Four victory in a quick upset.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back