• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Success or Failure - Alex Riley

Ultra Awesome

Im standing in Brooklyn/
Success. The result every wrestler wants to achieve in their career. There are those that obtain it, and there are those that fail miserably and end up complete failure. We have seen both types of wrestlers before. You have your wrestlers that succeed in the business (John Cena, Randy Orton, Chris Jericho, Edge, Triple H, Kurt Angle, Brock Lesnar, Bill Goldberg, Eddie Guerrero, etc.) and you have your wrestlers that ultimately fail in trying to do the same (Charlie Hass, Jamie Noble, Shelton Benjamin, Carlito, Mike Knox, Matt Hardy, etc.).

Not everyone succeeds in the WWE. Whether it be fair or not, it happens anyways. There’s no use in denying that. But here you have someone…someone who still begs the question, “will they succeed or will they fail?” And that person is… Alex Riley

A few months ago, we saw this guy debut on the second season of NXT. While on NXT, he competed in a series of matches against a good number of the other wrestlers and participated in the challenges hosted by Matt Striker. After a good 3 or 4 months, NXT season 2 had ended with Kaval becoming victorious, whereas Alex RIley was not. Even still, Alex Riley ended up on the main roster. Unfortunately, Alex Riley just ended up being the Miz's lacky, something we all [should have] noticed by now..

So now this leads me to the point (question) of this thread...

Based on what we have seen so far (or based on what you think of the guy), Do you see Alex Riley's career being a future SUCCESS or a future FAIL?

Pretty simple, straight-forward question. There have been talks before of this guy becoming a future star. But as of late, that satement is rather arguable. Therefore, I would like to hear the opinion you guys have over Alex Riley. Do you think that his career will ultimately get better and eventually become a success... Or is he doomed to being another jobber (low-carder) and/or future endeavored just as many before him have become...

based on whats he has done so far its a bit too soon to judge. but for the sake of it, i believe he'll be a success. his mic skills far surpassed everyone on nxt 2. he also has a great look and good moveset. good enough to be dominant imo. if he drops the varsity villain high school gimmick along with breaking away from the miz, he might go places. we shall see.

First off, I'd like to say that of the guys you cited to be failures, most of them were successful. Those guys all had multi-year runs in the wwe and at that Shelton/Haas made a great tag team in an era where tag team wrestling is pretty much forgotten.

But on to Alex Riley. This guy is great on the mic and pairing him with The Miz was a good idea to expose him. What will make or break him though is if he can break away from being The Miz'es lackey. If they keep him in this role for too long, he'll type-cast himself as essentially a cheerleader for him and will never be seen as a legit wrestler.

Like others have stated, it's just too early to tell. At this point I think Riley is the only one benefiting from his alliance with The Miz. I think Miz needs to drop this guy but not necessarily because I don't like Riley, but he's just tainting his awesomeness and I think Miz would be much better off by himself. Like when Sheamus interrupted them talking backstage on RAW last night my first thought was something along the lines of, "Excuse me Alex Riley but the credible ones amongst us need to have a word." It's not like I don't want to see where Riley could go but I wish it were somewhere else then where he is.

It's amazing how people want to judge someone's entire career based off what, 6 months of appearances, and at the same time all you hear is the need for longer, slower builds and how terrible it is to rush someone into a spot they're not ready for or pushed into the main event too quick. You can't have it both ways. Of COURSE it's too soon to tell.

You know there's nothing wrong with being somebody's lackey to get mainstream exposure before they're ready to be on their own. Many good superstars started off this way. None really in recent memory but Diesel is someone who comes to mind. He was HBK's bodyguard when he first started appearing on TV. Thus gaining exposure and experience alongside one of the best at the time. Eventually they breakaway from their duties and it leads to a pretty decent feud.

Riley is doing exactly what he needs to be doing right now. Riding the coat tails of the Miz's very good promos and segments while picking up from one of the best heels going right now. When Riley's and The Miz's alliance is done they will BOTH be better and bigger names because of it.

As for the success/failure aspect it is way to soon to tell. This kid however has the talent and overall package to be a great success eventually but not for some time down the road.

You know there's nothing wrong with being somebody's lackey to get mainstream exposure before they're ready to be on their own. Many good superstars started off this way. None really in recent memory but Diesel is someone who comes to mind. He was HBK's bodyguard when he first started appearing on TV. Thus gaining exposure and experience alongside one of the best at the time. Eventually they breakaway from their duties and it leads to a pretty decent feud.

Riley is doing exactly what he needs to be doing right now. Riding the coat tails of the Miz's very good promos and segments while picking up from one of the best heels going right now. When Riley's and The Miz's alliance is done they will BOTH be better and bigger names because of it.

As for the success/failure aspect it is way to soon to tell. This kid however has the talent and overall package to be a great success eventually but not for some time down the road.
Good point.

Batista was Brother Devon's lackey.

Orton and Batista was HHH's lackey's while in Evolution.

Cody Rhodes and Ted jr were Orton's lackey's while in Legacy.

Hell, HHH was HBK's lacky for a short while, wasn't he?

I personally see him as a success, but I also love the Miz-Riley duo, I think Riley has tons of potential. In the ring I'm sure he'll improve but he's very solid on the mic, by far the best on the mic from the NXT Season 2 cast. McGullicuty (sp?), Harris, Kaval, and Riley are the standouts from NXT, and I can def. see them using Riley more in the ring as he continues to develop and progress in the ring, for now being with the Miz is great because Miz brings so much attention as a heel, MITB holder, and a future champion.

Alex could become a quality face if he turns on the Miz. If he has the Miz start treating him like a bit more of an underling and truly feels he's a bigger better version of Miz and finally goes after him he'll be totally over.

I think that if Riley is going to be a success, he needs to separate himself from Miz as soon as possible. The reason I say this is because of history. In general, lackeys tend to eventually turn on their arrogant masters, usually setting them up for face status for a while.

When that happens, it seems as though powerhouse lackeys (batista, diesel, ezekial jackson, mark henry, etc.) typically tend to do well for themselves on their own. Lackeys who don't fit the powerhouse mold seems a lot more iffy and much more likely to be future endeavored.

Right now, Riley is Miz's yes man (something that did not really seem to fit with his persona, but whatever) and basically follows him around and becomes a punching bag. Unless he breaks out of this soon and makes a name for himself on his own quickly, I fear we are destined to see the eventual turn against the miz and once that storyline runs its course he'll be left squashing or appearing on superstars, like other more recent lackeys like hawkins and ryder.

Good point.

Batista was Brother Devon's lackey.

Orton and Batista was HHH's lackey's while in Evolution.

Cody Rhodes and Ted jr were Orton's lackey's while in Legacy.

Hell, HHH was HBK's lacky for a short while, wasn't he?

My only concern with A-Ry is that for all those pairings, there are ones like CM Punk-Gallows, Christian-Tomko, etc. where the second banana seemingly faded into obscurity. I hope that will not be the case with Riley, as I think he has potential

My only concern with A-Ry is that for all those pairings, there are ones like CM Punk-Gallows, Christian-Tomko, etc. where the second banana seemingly faded into obscurity. I hope that will not be the case with Riley, as I think he has potential

One thing you should note is that Gallows and Tomko couldn't cut a decent promo to save their lives. They needed their leaders to be relevant. Riley has the charisma and mic ability to stand out on his own. But I think keeping him in Miz's shadow for too long will ruin him. That being said, I don't think he's that great in the ring, but most of the WWE roster sucks in the ring so that's not a problem, really.

I don't believe its too soon to see if Riley will be a focal point at some stage in his career- everything is in a row for that transition. The true test is going to be how he is received, over time, in the locker room, how he plays the politics game, and how he deals with the world-wide exposure. It can definitely be seen he has the intelligence and ambition to make it in the wrestling business. Morever, you can see that as Miz's partner, he is holding back. Return to NXT II- Remember the "Starbucks" segment. Pretty swift. I actually like his post right now, it is getting him into primetime spots without losing anything along the way. Look at Bryan and Kaval- both have a title- NXT II winner and US champion- both have been in squashes and lost matches, but also have been embarrassed in the face of wrestling public. Playing the night sky to a Miz's star doesn't seem so bad afterall..

I doubt we're anywhere near the point where we can predict if Alex Riley will become a success or a failure in the future. However I would most likely lean towards a success due to the fact that he is more or less a total package. Good looks, great on the mic and rather good in the ring. He has a future shine over himself, and the fact that he shines next to The Miz really says a lot about the potential of Alex Riley.

However I'm a little torn to what exactly is in the future for the guy. After all he is nothing but a lackey right now, a bodyguard if you will. There's absolutely no saying what there is next for the guy. An United States reign? Lost in the shuffle for a period of time? Draft to Smackdown? There's absolutely nowhere that we can truly read what there is gonna happen to this guy, due to the fact that he is nothing but a lackey to The Miz right now.

Dude its way to early to tell and everybody can't have a push at the same time. This business is all about opportunities and what you make of them and there is nothing wrong with being a lackey for a guy that's being pushed hard. Now if he was santino's lackey i'd worry, he's getting the much needed tv time so even if he doesn't compete much he is still drawing heat.

Also he didn't win his season of NXT so if he got a big push right away, people would be crying about why Kaval isn't getting a push. When you think about it he is doing more than Kaval right now so be cool, he should be fine. It's ultimately up to him to make the most out of every opportunity.

Dude its way to early to tell and everybody can't have a push at the same time. This business is all about opportunities and what you make of them and there is nothing wrong with being a lackey for a guy that's being pushed hard. Now if he was santino's lackey i'd worry, he's getting the much needed tv time so even if he doesn't compete much he is still drawing heat.

Also he didn't win his season of NXT so if he got a big push right away, people would be crying about why Kaval isn't getting a push. When you think about it he is doing more than Kaval right now so be cool, he should be fine. It's ultimately up to him to make the most out of every opportunity.

Doing more than Kaval? A-Ri is just a lackey whereas Kaval is putting on good matches and getting a push (they are clearly going somewhere with his losing streak and the match against Big Show made him look really good).

I'm not criticising the booking of Riley though. I think he is absolutely perfect in the role of Miz's lackey and the two of them as a comedy double act have me laughing out loud a lot of the time. I didn't like him much whenever I tuned into NXT 2, and the mistake he made on the season finale was comical, but I think they're really onto a winner pairing him with Miz and he should remain in this role for the foreseeable future. Good stuff.

Well, we havent seen much of him honestly. Personally, i HATE the idea of him being a bodyguard/manager/learner from The Miz. I WANTED him to sign with Smackdown (maybe by Vickie) and have him with his gimmick of a high school jock and maybe find a girlfriend and take over Smackdown as Champion. Hopefully, sometime, he does go to Smackdown because i think if he goes there, he can be a World Champion ASAP. Anyways, i think (if he stays on RAW or Smackdown) he's going to be a success, but if he stays on RAW, it will take about 2 or 3 years, but if he goes to Smackdown, he could be champion fast because of the lack main eventers there.

It's hard to tell right now, since he hasn't had a complete feud or title run to judge by.

I do believe he's going to be a success though. Being under the Miz's wing provides him with a lot of observational experience which he can use for himself in the future. He's already stellar on the mic. That alone has already made him a keeper for the WWE. The guy is believable when he talks and draws heat, like the Miz. He has a lot of potential in the ring too. He also has the size/look to be a good top mid-carder/occasional main eventer in the future. Of course that depends on how the WWE books him.

Riley is a default success because he's associated with MIZ. I find it ironic though that the one thing riley is good at, mike work, is the same as MIZ. It would perhaps have made more sense to have Kaval be taken 'under the wing' of MIZ, as while Mike can only beat cena for quality and variety of offence, he can talk, and talk and talk. I am a huge Kaval fan, but even i'll admit he needs work there to become 'wwe mold good'. Would even have been in character for Miz to dump Riley, take the NXT winner and allow them both to grow - god knows Miz needs help in the ring.

As for Riley, I think if it were anywhere other than the E, his ring skills would send him back to fcw. But like Miz when he emerged from the shadow of JM, I think VKM will keep him around. If nothing else, if Riley learns the politics skills of Miz and how to follow the Cena route to the top, he'll do OK. But regardless of whateva mic or ring skills he does or doesnt have, booking could kill him - a la Benjamin.

Waaaaaay to early to make a judgement on Alex Riley as a success or failure.

I am a bit disappointed he is currently just the lackey for The Miz (who I literally cannot stand), as I always found Riley entertaining on NXT, and saw a big future for him in the WWE. However, as WWE are trying to push The Miz as a future world champion right now, I could see a storyline develop where Miz fails to win a match (either No.1 contenders match or a title match itself), and blames Riley for his loss. This could lead to Riley breaking away from Miz and forging his own path to success.

Plus, it would give us a ready-made storyline if anf when Riley becomes an established star, and The Miz is world champion.

I do believe that Alex Riley will have a decent WWE career, he is too talented to give up on just because his post-NXT career has been a bit slow in starting

I could see a storyline develop where Miz fails to win a match (either No.1 contenders match or a title match itself), and blames Riley for his loss. This could lead to Riley breaking away from Miz and forging his own path to success.

Plus, it would give us a ready-made storyline if anf when Riley becomes an established star, and The Miz is world champion.

I definitely could see this happening. More specifically, Miz could be the first person to fail to successfully cash in his Money in the Bank chance and then blame Riley for the loss, possibly because of botched interference or a DQ something. Then they can feud, then Riley can go out on his own and Miz can complain he didn't really lose and get another title shot to keep elevating him to main event status.

Based upon what Ive seen so far of Riley, I think he's bound for success.

They've paired him with the Miz for a reason, and I don't think it's just to be his punching bag, as he's been so far. Remember, that's what Wade Barrett was for Jericho during his feud with Edge, and he's arguably the company's top heel now.

I feel they've paired him with the Miz to help him polish his already impressive mic skills. He's shown the ability to bully/intimidate on the mic, but he's not as well rounded as the Miz is. But in time, I feel he will be, as this pairing can only benefit him.

As for his in-ring ability, we've only seen it on a limited basis, but he seems to have a decent moveset, good agility, and good aggression in the ring. It's something else that needs to be polished, but that takes time, even for the best of them. Again, i think the pairing with The Miz and him constantly being on Raw with other top stars and(in the future) getting into the ring with them will only help that.

The fact that he was the first NXT season 2 member to officially be on Raw says something about what the WWE thinks of him, I believe. While it's too early to tell if he'll be a main event player, I think he'll definitely have a successful career.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back