Success, Bust or In-Between [Legends]: Scott Steiner

Succes, Bust or In-Between [Legends]: Scott Steiner

• Success

• Bust

• In-Between

Results are only viewable after voting.

It's Damn Real!

The undisputed, undefeated TNA &
With a relative success rate for these in the TNA and WWE sections, I figure it can't hurt to try an expansion into a larger market with a legendary series in the Old-School section as well.

Just as was done with the series in the other sections, legendary talents in the industry will be critiqued (by you) regarding their work over their careers. You can vote them either a success, a bust or in-between if you don't feel they deserve either extreme.

In addition to your vote, I'd like to know why you feel the way you do. Why was this particular charater a succes, a bust or in-between?

Next in the Legendary Series is Scott Steiner.

----------

ScottSteiner.jpg

--------------------
Scott Steiner
--------------------

Years in the industry: 24 (WWA, CWA, Jim Crockett Promotions, WCW, WWF/E, ECW, TNA, UCW, WWC)

Number of titles runs: NWA United States Championship (x1), NWA World Tag Team Championship (x1), WCW United States Championship (x2), WCW World Heavyweight Championship (x1), WCW WOrld Tag Team Championship (x6), WCW World Television Championship (x2), IWGP Tag Team Championship (x2), TNA World Tag Team Championship (x1), WWF Tag Team Championship (x2), WWC Universal Heavyweight Championship (x1)

--------------------
Notable Feuds:
--------------------
• Fabulous Freebirds via The Steiner Brothers (1989)
• The Midnight Express via The Steiner Brothers (1990)
• Ric Flair via The Steiner Brothers (1991)
• The Headshrinkers via The Steiner Brothers (1993)
• Money Inc. via The Steiner Brothers (1993)
• The Heavenly Bodies via The Steiner Brothers (1993)
• The Quebecers via The Steiner Brothers (1993)
• The Eliminators via The Steiner Brothers (1995)
• Harlem Heat via The Steiner Brothers (1996)
• Buff Bagwell (1997)
• Goldberg (1999)
• DDP (1999)
• Rey Misterio, Jr. (1999)
• Booker T (2000/01)
• Triple H (2002/03)
• Test (2003)
• Sting, AJ Styles, Ron Killings, Samoa Joe and Rhino via Jeff Jarrett (2006)
• Kurt Angle via Christian's Coalition (2007)
• Team Angle via Team Cage (2007)
• Team 3D via The Steiner Brothers (2007)
• Petey Williams (2007/08)
• TNA Frontline via The Main Event Mafia (2008/09)
• Samoa Joe (2009)
• Beer Money, Inc. (2009)
• Bobby Lashley (2009/10)

--------------------
Other Accomplishments:
--------------------
• Broke into the business in 1986 as Scott Rexsteiner with the Ohio-based World Wrestling Association.
• Original member of the infamous Steiner Brothers tag-team.
• Original member of the nWo (New World Order) in WCW.
• Was managed by Buff Bagwell, Ted DiBiase, Eddie Gilbert, Missy Hyatt, Stacy Keibler, Midajah, Rhaka Khan, Vincent and Tojo Yamamoto.
• Almost died at a house show in Puerto Rico when he sustained a stiff kick to the throat that tore his trachea.
• PWI Tag Team of the Year (1990, 1993)
• Is well-known for the infamous steroid scandals in which the request he be tested was dropped after he noted that he would go in and test with Triple H.
• Put out a workout DVD called Scott Steiner's FREAK SHOW: The Big Poppa Pump Workout in 2009.

--------------------
Previous Polls:
--------------------

• Scott Hall – 73.91% Success, 19.57% In-Between, 6.52% Bust
• Diamond Dallas Page – 80.00% Success, 16.00% In-Between, 4.00% Bust
• Scott Steiner – In Progress

Scott Steiner has accomplished a lot in the business, mostly known for being an incredibly athletic wrestler for his size, and for being a great tag team with his brother Rick Steiner.

The pure list of people that Scott feuded with, and the championships he held should be more than enough to scream Success if you ask me, he's held all kind of championships, Mid-card championships, tag team championships and World championships.

Never liked his backstage attitude, he seemed to be hating a lot on Triple H and Ric Flair, especially Ric, but that's not gonna influence the fact that I think he's a success.

I voted success.

Scott helped build the Tag team Division in WCW, and along with his brother Rick, he had some memorable moments.

I enjoyed the Steiner Brother's first WWE run, but it was nothing special.

Scotty really became a success in WCW after turning on his brother and joining the nWo. His look was great w/ the blond hair and dyed goatee w/ the black stripe. He was the Big Bad Booty Daddy. He reached the top of the mountain as the WCW World Heavyweight Champion! WCW in the late 90's is where Scott flourished and really became a success.

Scott's 2nd WWF/E run was nothing great. A feud w/Triple H and a feud w/Test.

TNA was ok for Scott. It got a little sad hearing him say the same lame things over and over and over again. It worked in 1999, but it's just sorry now

I am a huge Steiner mark, personally, so I'm sure at least one or two users will consider this a biased vote, but based sheerly on the fact he held as many titles as he did and feuded with names as big as Triple H, Ric Flair, Sting, Goldberg, DDP, Harlem Heat, etc. absolutely screams success.

While his attitude, as you noted Ferbian, was a cause for concern for most of the companies he worked for, I don't think it should really influence whether or not he was a success or bust (or in-between) in terms of the industry itself. Had he been repeatedly fired for it, then maybe.

I'm a huge scott steiner fan also, but this isn't even debatable considering the championships he has won, he is a tag team legend alongside his brother, and again one of the original members of the single most deadliest faction ever in professional wrestling: The New World Order. I realize that last statement is debatable, because we definitely can't forget about the 4 horseman.

Scott Steiner IMO is one of, if not, the best there is when it comes to giving promos. I mean seriously, the guy is hilarious, especially when he was in wcw where his promos were not scripted.

In WCW: Success. Nobody in their right mind could claim otherwise.

Post WCW: Complete bust. Over the last decade, Scott Steiner has done nothing of note in wrestling.

Scott Steiner is wrestling's poster child for "resting on his laurels." So, I'm forced to split my scores here, and rate Scott Steiner as being "In-Between."

I’ll go with in between. The early years were definitely a success. The Steiner Brothers are one of the most respected tag teams of all time. When I was young Scott introduced me to moves I’d never seen before. He was ahead of his time in the states. Check it out.

[YOUTUBE]tzMfJc9lqAQ[/YOUTUBE]

Then he became Big Poppa Pump and it was like he was a different person. I didn’t follow WCW much toward the end so I can’t really judge him. However, his WWE run in 2003 is the definition of bust. He came in with big hype. He immediately feuded with Triple H for the world title. Steiner went into that match as the clear fan favorite. It only took about ten minutes of horrible Steiner offense for the crowd to turn on him. Four months after coming in with all the hype Steiner was left off WrestleMania. After one year he was gone and no one noticed.

This is how I remember Steiner in the WWE in 2003:

[YOUTUBE]T_s8pbNyIfg[/YOUTUBE]

I don’t follow TNA so I can’t comment about that. So my vote is in between. The Steiner Brothers were a success. The Big Poppa Pump I saw was a bust.

Scott Steiner was a success. He wore gold everywhere he went. Made money everywhere he went. Sure the latter day Big Poppa Pump wasn't great, but he worked that same gimmick for quite a few years.
He can be called nothing but a success whether you liked BPP or not.

In WCW: Success. Nobody in their right mind could claim otherwise.

Post WCW: Complete bust. Over the last decade, Scott Steiner has done nothing of note in wrestling.

Scott Steiner is wrestling's poster child for "resting on his laurels." So, I'm forced to split my scores here, and rate Scott Steiner as being "In-Between."

Funny you never mentioned his first run in 'WWF'...because then he would have said he was a success...
I think he was success..everywhere he went, title reigns..even in TNA, he was an okay character...had the tag titles...He has ruled tag teams...he in known for being 1 half of argubly the greatest tag team in the world...

So i voted a success..

Scott Steiner = success, from WCW dying he did a tour or two with the WWA promotion, I've never watched any of his matches from them so I can't comment HOWEVER I believe Scott Steiner's downfall was his time in WWE 2002-2004, from March 2001 - January 2003 his match quality and went down hill, maybe to much downtime, ring rust who knows maybe his injuries come back to haunt him.

Before his last WWE run, he was pure success, he was multi time TV, US and Tag team champions in WCW he was their last World Champion (Booker T only got the belt because he was going to WWF).
Steiner's persona/character in WCW was top notch ultimate badass and backed his shit up, his mic work was shock value and 9/10 pretty good stuff, over all he'd created a unique look for himself (yes Superstar billy graham and hogan probably helped a little but come on the chain mail stuff was pretty good).

The roids? who knows sure the guy was a freak of nature but you can't say he was riods without proof, generally I think he's the most accomplished star to go from accomplished tag team to singles star.

Steiner is a huge success in my book. I still remember back in the early 90s arguing over who was the better team between the Steiners and Legion Of Doom. One of the best tag team wrestlers of all time and the creator of the Frankensteiner (I refuse to call it a hurricarana) and was majorly over. Admittedly he died a death in WWE but I'd put that down to the lasting results of his foot injury and some shitty material after the Triple H feud (if he'd arrived now they'd have a kick ass feud as Triple H was bang in the middle of his complete shit working period when Steiner arrived in WWE)

Success all the way to me

Between 1988 and 1996, I'd definitely have to say Scott Steiner was a success. The Steiner Brothers are among the best tag teams in pro wrestling history. They've got the feuds and title reigns to back it up. They were two time WWF Tag Team Champions, two time IWGP Tag Team Champions, one time NWA United States Tag Team Champions, one time NWA World Tag Team Champions and six time WCW World Tag Team Champions. In tag team wrestling, the Steiner Brothers pretty much did it all.

However, starting in 1996 after he stopped teaming with his brother, I definitely have to say In-Between. Steiner wasn't nearly the same caliber of performer that he'd once been. His singles title runs during this time, beginning in the late 90s, took place when WCW was really going downhill and the entire company was a shell in and of itself. By the time Steiner won the WCW United States and World Heavyweight Championships, they were devalued to the point of worthlessness.

In the end though, I think the bright spots outshined the dark ones. I'm going to say success overall because Steiner was part of something special for the first seven or eight years of his career and accomplished a lot.

success.

as stated by DL23 before me:
"generally I think he's the most accomplished star to go from accomplished tag team to singles star"
this is not a true statement as i can think of others that fit this kind of title. for example, Bret Hart, HBK Shawn Michaels, even Edge.

but still, Steiner was very successful in transitioning from Tag Team to Singles and does have the feuds and titles to back this up.

his mic work was priceless, his look was great (also stated that it was inspired by Superstar Billy Graham, Hulk Hogan and, though not mentioned earlier, Jesse "the Body" Ventura) with the shades and chain mail, and his move set was phenomenal. not too many guys can claim to have invented or reinvented so many moves. his Steiner line, Frankensteiner, Steiner Recliner and Steiner Flatliner were all amazing.

this guy was a success. he had some rough matches and angles and feuds, but with the longevity that he's had, that can only be expected. i've not loved every match, feud or angle with Ric Flair either, but that doesn't take away the fact that Flair is an absolute legend and a success. same can be said of everyone in pro wrestling: Undertaker, HBK, Stone Cold, Rock, Foley, Triple H, Bret Hart... the list goes on and on, but yet that doesn't take away from their success or legend status. Steiner belongs with the aforementioned names.

Scott Steiner is a complete success. I grew up on both him and Rick. Scott was always a favorite of mine, even towards the end of his career. I say that, because I think he finally gave it up. Do I think he has a shot at the HOF? Not as BPP, but with Rick in tag team form.

Allot of posts have been that Scott fell, after WCW went under. Inaway yes he did. But let be honest, how many of the big WCW guys did Vince really give a chance to? Not many. So his failur in WWE was really no suprise.

In TNA, from what I have seen, he didn't do much more then be a mouth peice. Especially after he almost died in a match. The last good run he had though was his angle with Petey Williams.

Funny you never mentioned his first run in 'WWF'...because then he would have said he was a success...
I think he was success..everywhere he went, title reigns..even in TNA, he was an okay character...had the tag titles...He has ruled tag teams...he in known for being 1 half of argubly the greatest tag team in the world...

So i voted a success..

To be completely honest, I had forgotten about that tag team run until after I hit the "Submit" button. But, even then, at that point, he wasn't really "Scott Steiner." Until his time in the nWo, Scott Steiner wasn't really his own character. He was "Rick's little brother." So, I still can't say that I see Scott as a total success in wrestling. I do understand your vote, though.

The answer to the question is Success. Even though his last 5 plus years in the business has been crap, and with his size, he lost the ability to do most of his famous moves. However, The first 10 plus years of his career he was a tag team legend.

The Steiner brothers are one of the best tag teams to ever walk through the ropes of the door. In my opinion they were up there with LOD and the Hart Foundation. They got the belts wherever they went, and it was great. The crowd loved them.

Scott went on to turn on his brother, join the nWo. It was awesome. His mic skills were great. A lot of heat, but people really drew to him. A lot of great feuds.

The sad thing was, as he got bigger, his abilities went away. His early day work was amazing, and the things he could as a power house just made the crowd go nuts. But he got slower, and couldn't do most of his moves. It wasn't an age thing at first, it was more of his arms getting to big, and the same with his legs.

His 2nd run with the WWE and his TNA job in my opinion did lower his stock value. But his previous success, and former style of wrestling is should really be considered a success.

I think overall he's had a successful career not many people have held as many titles. Or have had a lengthy career as he has. His last run in WWE was complete bust. So was his last run in TNA. To be fair he's not the only top WCW guy who had a less than stellar run in WWE i.e. Goldberg and DDP. His last TNA run came after a almost fatal injury. He's just another wrestler that hung on to long, but he still had a great career.

I'm pretty much of the opinion of Jack Hammer, mostly gonna repeat what he said.

First part of his career was undoubtedly a success...Scott Steiner may have been one of the very best wrestlers PERIOD when he was with his brother Rick. The Steiners in the NWA/WCW were must-see TV. They were one of the elite tag teams and their matches with all the top teams in the late 80's-early 90's were incredible. I started watching around the time the Steiners just started teaming together. IMO, that was the last great era of tag teams, as even as soon as the mid-90's, tag teams were nowhere as near as prevalent. Nobody was doing the frankensteiner back then, and Scott was not a cruiserweight.

Sadly, all the things that made him so great seemed to shorten his career with all the injuries he endured.

I remember the WWE run, and understand why they went, but they never should have. When the Road Warriors came to WWE, at least they kept 8/10th's of what they were in the NWA. The Steiners were maybe 5/10th's. And both were faces, so if I remember correctly, they never fought in WWE....which they should have.

Now his singles career. I know Scott was so messed up that the pure fact that he even was able to wrestle again is a success in itself, especially for how long he was able to do it. However, he was a completely different person, wrestling a completely different style, talking a different way, acting a different way. I never liked it, even though the character was amusing at first. Always wanted the old Scott back, never got him, never could get past that. With Shawn Michaels, he was the same as he was in the Rockers, just enhanced and better. Scott was just 100% completely different. Then, after a short while, he ended up in booking hell like many others in the later-WCW and it was just a joke.

I'd have to say undoubtedly his singles career was an in-between. Had he not had the injury problems before hand and done everything exactly the same, I'd say he was a bust. Had Scott not been injured so much, stayed exactly the same as he was with Rick, but wrestled singles full-time, he could have been one of the best face champions there was. It's a shame.

I gotta go with success on this one. Back then when Scott Steiner was a part of The Steiner Brothers, he was big. They were known worldwide, competed against the best tag teams of all time, and paved the way for future tag teams. But when Scott Steiner became a singles wrestler, he became even bigger. He had a look and a half, he won World titles, made a ton of money, and took over every wrestling promotion he was in by storm. He was a big deal..

He may have been of the most controversial wrestlers of all time, someone who has a questionable rep, or someone who won't be looked back in the most positive way by peers and fans but he's done everything that a professional wrestler would accomplish. To me, he has quite a legacy..

steiner was a success just based on his tag team career. the steiner's are one of the best tag teams ever. and then you add the solo career on top of that, of course he's a success.

if you want to do one of these were it's not such a landslide vote, try jeff jarrett.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back