• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Strongest Roster in Wrestling History

Tastycles

Turn Bayley heel
The question is simple: What is the strongest roster any company has had at any given time in wrestling history?

There's plenty of different options, either side from different points the Monday Night Wars, WWE after it took the lions share of the wrestling talent in the early 21st century, or even something much older such as the New York territory from way back when.

For me though, the answer would be early 1990 in the WWF. From a main event perspective you had Hulk Hogan, the greatest face of all time, and arguably the greatest heel of all time in Ted DiBiase. These two were ably assisted in the main event by Randy Savage and Ultimate Warrior, guys who themselves would be considered, or at least should be considered, big deals in wrestling history.

In terms of popularity, these guys were assisted by a number of ageing, but nonetheless loved wrestlers in the shape of Dusty Rhodes, Andre The Giant, Roddy Piper and Jimmy Snuka. The midcard is where the strength in depth can be truly seen though.

The midcard consisted of 80s stalwarts like Jake Roberts, Tito Santana and Bad News Brown, but these had been joined by some of the most able wrestlers of all time, in the midcard at once - people like Bret Hart, Mr. Perfect and Rick Rude are today considered hall of fame material, and they were all in the midcard, the third tier below a veterans contingent.

Even the lower midcard, traditionally the cesspool of any company comprised of still well known faces like Greg Valentine, Brutus Beefcake, Rick Martel and Koko B. Ware. The tag division was also strong, with huge teams like Demolition, The Powers of Pain and the Twin Towers wrestling alongside smaller, more agile teams like The Rockers and Orient Express. Sure, there's weak links, but if you look at the cards of WrestleMania VI and that year's Royal Rumble, the least significant guy on there is probably the Red Rooster, a famously under appreciated wrestler.

DO NOT JUST LIST THE ROSTERS, GIVE REASONS FOR YOUR SELECTIONS.

I think you're going to be hard pressed to beat WWF at the time the Radicalz showed up. That gave you (on the roster although not active at the time):

Austin
Rock
HHH
Foley
Undertaker
Kane
Eddie
Benoit
Malenko
Venis
Edge/Christian
Hardys
Dudleys
Taz
Angle
Jericho

And I could go on. That is STACKED to say the least. You had from top to bottom an incredible roster with all kinds of guys ranging from tag wrestlers to midcard guys to main event guys and everything was compelling. The shows were good, the matches were good, everything was exciting, the youth movement was in effect, you had the drama going on in the main event and some DAMN good matches in the midcard with guys like Benoit and Jericho and Angle holding court. Great time and some of the best talent ever assembled.

I'll have to agree with Klunderbunker here. It's long been my contention that the Attitude era was great because of all the great stars that the WWF had at the time and not because of the over the top antics, The Rock, Stone Cold, HHH, Angle, Foley, Taker, they were just an incredibly deep and interesting group of guys to work with. People always harp on about strylines and all that other stuff, but with that pool of talent you couldn't go wrong and thats why it was the greatest period in wrestling history.

It's a toss up for me.
WWF in 1992 with Hogan, Flair, Taker, Sid, Piper, Jake, DiBiase, Perfect and up and comers like HBK, Bret and Owen.
It was such a star studded roster but it didn't last as long as it should and a lot of great feuds were missed out on when Flair left.

The only other roster I can think of that can compare is WWF in 2002 right after the invasion ended. I just watched Royal Rumble 02 and the roster was incredible.
You had Austin, Rock, Taker, Kane, HHH, Angle, Big Show, Jericho, Benoit and then the whole NWO... Hogan, Hall, Nash. Great in ring workers like RVD, Booker T, Edge and Christian, The Hardyz and Lance Storm...Add in the return of Mr. Perfect and Goldust and it was stacked.
Granted, some of the guys listed were past their prime by 2002 but wow, what an amazing group.

i don't feel like typing out the whole roster, but this has to be one of the strongest of all time and two of the most stacked cards EVER

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivor_Series_(1987)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivor_Series_(1988)

you have macho man, jake the snake, steamboat, warrior, harley race, HTM, hogan of course, sherri and moolah for the women, andre, omg, bundy, rick rude, bam bam, and then look at that LEGIT tag team division with the harts, bulldogs, rockers, powers of pain, demolition, strike force, twin towers, mega powers etc. These were the biggest rosters filled with hall of famers and future superstars. And for most of us it is this roster that got us to be the lifelong fans we are today. Also, look at this roster these are all ppl who could play their role perfectly... bad gimmick or not there weren't any guys who couldn't get you to suspend disbelief and just get lost in the match and storyline, something that is definitely missing these days in the wwe

You need to look deeper to see why a roster is stronger than a particular time... the strongest rosters are those where the whole was more than the sum of its parts.

The early 1990 period Tastycles refers to was a strong time, no doubt but much of the lower card such as Paul Roma, Koko B. Ware, Hercules etc were not of the standard of the rest of the roster.

Fast forward to 2 years later and you had the most stacked main event in history, one of the better mid cards and a far more talented undercard than ever before with several former World Champions helping new talent get over.

Your main event was Ric Flair, Hulk Hogan... the 2 biggest names ever, that Vince chose not to use this is forever his shame...

Add to this, Randy Savage, Sid, The Ultimate Warrior, Taker and Roberts... These were your 3 top feuds for most of 1992...

By now, your singles midcard featured Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Roddy Piper, Davey Boy Smith, Rick Martel and later in the year Curt Hennig. 2 former AWA champions, working mid card and supporting roles to younger talent such as Shawn Michaels and Razor Ramon. Both men's talents kept the mid card interesting. That Summerslam could be held in a new country, with the IC match headlining and it being match of the night proved that not only Davey Boy and Bret were among the best, but the guys who had put them both over in the months previous were too...

In the tags you had Money Inc ruling the roost. Ted DiBiase's best run in the WWE was during this time, that a "tag team" could be the ones to draw Hogan back... that they could keep The LOD, Nasty Boys AND later the Steiners away from the tag belts showed their importance to the WWE. It was the final time that the Tag belts would be truly meaningful until the early 2000's. New teams coming in were also former top teams elsewhere, The Headshrinkers and Beverly Brothers were both former Tag Champions elsewhere...

Now onto your lower mids... This was made up of guys on the way up, like Tatanka, Owen Hart, Papa Shango , The Mountie and Yokozuna and guys on the way down but still relevant to fans such as Big Bossman, Hacksaw and Sgt. Slaughter, Greg Valentine and Kerry Von Erich. Again 2 former world champions putting over talent regularly. Some like Earthquake got more success later in tags... some like Slaughter had reached the end of their road at that time... but on the whole they underpinned the development of several top stars of the 90's... Would Yoko have been a credible Rumble winner and Mania main eventer without the squash over Virgil at Survivor Series?

Finally your openers...

These are guys who for the main part had had careers and were now on the outs with the WWE... WWE magazine had a beautiful way of describing them as signing "open contracts"... basically if you read that about a wrestler they were now a jobber...

So guys like Warlord, Barbarian, Tito Santana, Jim Neidhart, Koko B. Ware, Skinner, The Berserker and by years end... yep Former World Champion Bob Backlund!... the guy who had the belt for 7 years... again putting talent over...

That is a stacked roster... those who had won accolades had earned them in an era where they meant a great deal... far more than later rosters where rookies can earn 4 world titles in their first 2 years of being in the WWE...

I'm going to go with WCW in the late 90's(from 96-99). You had guys like DDP, Lex Luger, Sting, Hulk Hogan, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Syxx, Randy Savage, Ric Flair, The Giant, Goldberg, Bret Hart, Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Dean Malenko, Perry Saturn, Sid Vicious, Jeff Jarrett, Booker T, Scott Steiner, Rick Steiner, Curt Hennig, Lance Storm, Juventud Guerrera, Ultimo Dragon, Chris Jericho, Billy Kidman, Psicosis, William Regal etc. That was a hard roster to compare with . Granted some the the mentioned names were in the twilight of the careers, but the name value was there and most of the bouts were great and quite entertaining.

WWE wasn't comparing with WCW at that time period.

Great answers guys! I think WCW had great talent from 1996-1998. WCW also had great talent from 1989-1992. Sting, Flair, Lex Lugar, Pyscho Sid, Road Warriors, Steiners, Doom, SkySkrapers, Stan Hansen, Samoans Swat Team, Steve Austin, Dustin Rhoades, Ricky Steamboat, Rick Rude, Harlam Heat, etc....

WWF had great talent also in late 80s-1993. And WWF also had great talent right around 1998-2000. This is my idea.

You need to look deeper to see why a roster is stronger than a particular time... the strongest rosters are those where the whole was more than the sum of its parts.

The early 1990 period Tastycles refers to was a strong time, no doubt but much of the lower card such as Paul Roma, Koko B. Ware, Hercules etc were not of the standard of the rest of the roster.

Fast forward to 2 years later and you had the most stacked main event in history, one of the better mid cards and a far more talented undercard than ever before with several former World Champions helping new talent get over.

Your main event was Ric Flair, Hulk Hogan... the 2 biggest names ever, that Vince chose not to use this is forever his shame...

Add to this, Randy Savage, Sid, The Ultimate Warrior, Taker and Roberts... These were your 3 top feuds for most of 1992...

By now, your singles midcard featured Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Roddy Piper, Davey Boy Smith, Rick Martel and later in the year Curt Hennig. 2 former AWA champions, working mid card and supporting roles to younger talent such as Shawn Michaels and Razor Ramon. Both men's talents kept the mid card interesting. That Summerslam could be held in a new country, with the IC match headlining and it being match of the night proved that not only Davey Boy and Bret were among the best, but the guys who had put them both over in the months previous were too...

In the tags you had Money Inc ruling the roost. Ted DiBiase's best run in the WWE was during this time, that a "tag team" could be the ones to draw Hogan back... that they could keep The LOD, Nasty Boys AND later the Steiners away from the tag belts showed their importance to the WWE. It was the final time that the Tag belts would be truly meaningful until the early 2000's. New teams coming in were also former top teams elsewhere, The Headshrinkers and Beverly Brothers were both former Tag Champions elsewhere...

Now onto your lower mids... This was made up of guys on the way up, like Tatanka, Owen Hart, Papa Shango , The Mountie and Yokozuna and guys on the way down but still relevant to fans such as Big Bossman, Hacksaw and Sgt. Slaughter, Greg Valentine and Kerry Von Erich. Again 2 former world champions putting over talent regularly. Some like Earthquake got more success later in tags... some like Slaughter had reached the end of their road at that time... but on the whole they underpinned the development of several top stars of the 90's... Would Yoko have been a credible Rumble winner and Mania main eventer without the squash over Virgil at Survivor Series?

Finally your openers...

These are guys who for the main part had had careers and were now on the outs with the WWE... WWE magazine had a beautiful way of describing them as signing "open contracts"... basically if you read that about a wrestler they were now a jobber...

So guys like Warlord, Barbarian, Tito Santana, Jim Neidhart, Koko B. Ware, Skinner, The Berserker and by years end... yep Former World Champion Bob Backlund!... the guy who had the belt for 7 years... again putting talent over...

That is a stacked roster... those who had won accolades had earned them in an era where they meant a great deal... far more than later rosters where rookies can earn 4 world titles in their first 2 years of being in the WWE...

Your sig picture...that's the strongest roster. And that's not even showing Hogan, Warrior, Demolition and the Hart Foundation (among others). All of which were working for the WWF in 1990.

Edit: Actually I take that back. The only one in your picture that I'm not sure about is the Bulldog...I think he was still in Japan in 1990.

Well this one is an easy one. Sorry WWE lovers, the strongest roster belonged to WCW between Sept 1997 to Sept 1998. WCW had: Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, Bret Hart, Randy Savage, Sting, Goldberg, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Roddy Piper, Chris Jericho, Curt Henning, Lex Luger, Ultimate Warrior, Rick Rude, Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Booker T, Psycho Sid, The Big Show, Steiner Brothers, Dallas Page, Davey Boy Smith, Arn Anderson, Dean Malenko, Rey Mysterio Jr, and Villano #3. For the poster who said the Invasion period was stacked, well this is triple stacked.

Tastycles, saying Randy Savage and Ultimate Warrior assisted Ted Dibiase as the greatest villain in 1990 is essentially rewriting history. Ted Dibiase was one of the best 10 heels when he wrestled but he definitely wasn't a draw. Even Sgt. Slaughter was a bigger draw/better villain. Savage was the top heel in 1990, get your facts straight. Savage is one of the best wrestlers of all time. Ted Dibiase wouldn't even crack a top 50. Savage and Warrior were the draws, along with Hogan, Dibiase was nothing more than a strong midcarder, weak main eventer. Savage and Warrior never assisted Dibiase at all, he wasn't even in their league. Curt Henning, Rick Rude and Jake Roberts were better heels than Dibiase. What's with this crap on wrestlezone of fans looking back and making Dibiase out to be more important than he ever was?

The next best period after the one I stated would be WWE in 2002.

I think you're going to be hard pressed to beat WWF at the time the Radicalz showed up. That gave you (on the roster although not active at the time):

Austin
Rock
HHH
Foley
Undertaker
Kane
Eddie
Benoit
Malenko
Venis
Edge/Christian
Hardys
Dudleys
Taz
Angle
Jericho

And I could go on. That is STACKED to say the least. You had from top to bottom an incredible roster with all kinds of guys ranging from tag wrestlers to midcard guys to main event guys and everything was compelling. The shows were good, the matches were good, everything was exciting, the youth movement was in effect, you had the drama going on in the main event and some DAMN good matches in the midcard with guys like Benoit and Jericho and Angle holding court. Great time and some of the best talent ever assembled.

yeah thats about it in my opinion every single one of those guys were and sum still are just unique and very fun to watch the heavy weight and mid card and all the rest seemed very balanced in terms of entertainment when this was the roster altho i notice u didnt mention any female wrestlers in your list maybe lita and trish should have some sort of mention aswell:)

I think the strongest roster in history is the 2002-2003 year right after the merger of WWE and WCW and into Wrestlemania 19 Look at some of the rosters.

The Rock, Steve Austin, HHH, Angle, Michaels, Hogan, RVD, NWO, Steiner, Lesnar, Booker T, Undertaker, Kane, Jericho, Benoit, Edge, Mysterio, Batista, and Orton.

Add in the Tag Team Division.

Dudleyz, Hardyz, Un-Americans, Edge and Mysterio, 3 Minute Warning, Billy and Chuck, Booker T and Goldust, APA, Hogan and Edge, Christian/Y2J, Angle and Benoit, Team Angle, and Los Guerrero's.

The tag team division was amazing that year with the 4 way title picture on Smackdown and then the mid carders could also be considered for the main event like Chris Jericho, Chris Benoit, Kane, Booker T, RVD, and the NWO. There were the amazing main events with Angle/Lesnar, Austin/Rock feud into Wrestlemania 19, Evolution, and the eventual debut of Goldberg making an impact. It was such a strong roster that they literally could put anyone any where.

I will go way back to around 1987, Jim Crockett Promotions. They were stacked with talent.

The Original Four Horsemen,
Dusty Rhodes,
Magnum TA,
Rock N Roll Express,
the Road Warriors,
Nakita Koloff,
Dick Murdock,
Barry Windham,

There are 10 Hall of Fame caliber performers. If I missed anyone I appologise. Then a very strong supporting cast around those 14 guys. If Crockett knew how to treat his guys he would still be around today. Ric Flair said their was no way they should have lost to the WWF, they were too good. The front office just blew it. That roster top to bottom was the best I have ever seen.

I would be hard pressed to disagree with KB's choice of late 1999-2001 WWF. When you look at that roster it is absolutely stacked from top to bottom.

In the main event scene you have; Stone Cold the second most popular man in wrestling history, The Rock arguably the third most popular man ever, HHH who was absolutely on fire as a heel during this time period, probably the best he ever was, Mankind who was still putting on great hardcore matches and the fans loved him and The Undertaker even though this was a pretty bad time for him with the Badass gimmick it is still Taker.

You have what is probably the second best time ever for WWE's tag division with the Edge and Christian, The Hardys and The Dudleys continuing to have fucking unbelievable chemistry with one another with the likes of The APA, The Radicals and Too Cool providing ample support.

Then you have an amazing mid card to top it all off with the likes of Chris Jericho, Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit and Eddie Guerrero all floating around in the mid card area putting on phenomenal matches as you would expect out of them. How often do you look back on a mid card scene from any given time period and see four future world champions all floating around in it. Then of course you have the likes of Dean Malenko, Val Venis and Taz providing some good support.

There is a reason this was possibly the best time period ever for the company and it wasn't just the fact that there were edgier gimmicks and a TV 14 rating. They had a phenomenal roster and with the quality of stuff they put on in this time period it really shows.

Your sig picture...that's the strongest roster. And that's not even showing Hogan, Warrior, Demolition and the Hart Foundation (among others). All of which were working for the WWF in 1990.

Edit: Actually I take that back. The only one in your picture that I'm not sure about is the Bulldog...I think he was still in Japan in 1990.

Actually, Davey Boy was signed to replace Beefcake at Summerslam 1990, but the car crash with Benoit killed it and they brought Kerry Von Erich instead... and he didn't debut till October 90... but he was there as of then...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back