Strong Enough Track Lists

Mr. TM

Throwing a tantrum
Today I heard about the announced new version of Rock Band. They plan on having a Green Day set for the new game, coming off of the hit Beatles version. This follows Rock Band rival Guitar Hero's set lists for Aerosmith, Van Halen and Metallica.

Now it got me thinking. As this is not about the games, but rather the quality and quantity of music produced by a group or singer with enough quality to be replicated in video game format.

First off, Van Halen? I never liked any of the 4512 different versions of Van Halen. And now Green Day? I don't think either of these follow well with The Beatles, Metallica... or even Aerosmith.

But a few bands I think would make great guitar games are these

1.) Led Zeppelin. Nothing says incredible like ending the game with Stairway to Heaven. Not only that, but Led Zeppelin has some incredible tracks for many different instruments. You can play drums through moby dick, play guitar on Kasmir, or sing on Ramble On.

2.) AC/DC. I could have swore they had made one for them, or were making one for them... But anyways, I think AC/DC's set list is perfect for a bunch of frat boys playing while half intoxiated. You can even start with all the Bon Scott songs first.

3.) Red Hot Chilli Peppers. Thery have become incredibly popular over the last few ... decades. Not only that, but I would love to get the chance to sing some of the Peppers songs, like Under the Bridge, Sir Sexy Psycho, or Give it Away to really show the versatility on mic. They have enough incredible hits that the game would be a breeze. And since they are still recording, they can add a lot of new tracks.

Reading through this I must admit the first thought that caught me was "what in the world.. green day!?"

Then I read further, and I must agree, there are certainly some games i would much rather see, and I completely agree with Red Hot Chili Peppers, seeing as I'm a fan, AC/DC and Led Zeppelin are bands I wouldn't buy their Guitar Hero games although cause I've never had interest in them (yes hate on me, your choice, my music taste)

An other thought would have to be Joe Satriani, simply because, well he's an instrumental artist, haven't heard him do much lyrical stuff, if any, and I think I would really enjoy playing some of his songs on Guitar Hero.

A final choice would be some of Carlos Santana's songs throughout his career, I think the variation of singers he's worked with and the talent he has would make for amazing material in a game like Guitar Hero.

Red Hot Chili Peppers would be a great choice. Their songs are catchy and pretty well known. The band itself is legendary in the music and rock industry. It would be fun to actually play some of their songs, then again I am biased seeing as I am a big fan of RHCP.

Another band that should be in consideration is Nirvana. They were just as big as Metallica or Aerosmith in my eyes. They influenced the music business greatly in the 90's and were one of the driving forces in the change in the rock industry. They are still pretty big today and have a big following to my knowledge. The only problem I see is complaints that it degrades Nirvana's legacy and makes them appear as sell outs, even though that isn't possible seeing as Kurt Cobain is dead.

These are the two bands I would most like to see get their own Rock Band or Guitar Hero games. They both have big followings and were very very successful. They are pretty much the only bands I would even consider buying those big ass instrument sets for.

Reading through this I must admit the first thought that caught me was "what in the world.. green day!?"

Then I read further, and I must agree, there are certainly some games i would much rather see, and I completely agree with Red Hot Chili Peppers, seeing as I'm a fan, AC/DC and Led Zeppelin are bands I wouldn't buy their Guitar Hero games although cause I've never had interest in them (yes hate on me, your choice, my music taste)

An other thought would have to be Joe Satriani, simply because, well he's an instrumental artist, haven't heard him do much lyrical stuff, if any, and I think I would really enjoy playing some of his songs on Guitar Hero.

A final choice would be some of Carlos Santana's songs throughout his career, I think the variation of singers he's worked with and the talent he has would make for amazing material in a game like Guitar Hero.

Well I am glad you agree with me choice of Red Hot Chilli Peppers, but I have to disagree with Santana and Satriani. The games now adays are about an entire band playing together. Santana and Satriani have had some band work, but their music focuses more on guitar work. Also, I doubt they have the fan support to sell well.

Red Hot Chili Peppers would be a great choice. Their songs are catchy and pretty well known. The band itself is legendary in the music and rock industry. It would be fun to actually play some of their songs, then again I am biased seeing as I am a big fan of RHCP.

Another band that should be in consideration is Nirvana. They were just as big as Metallica or Aerosmith in my eyes. They influenced the music business greatly in the 90's and were one of the driving forces in the change in the rock industry. They are still pretty big today and have a big following to my knowledge. The only problem I see is complaints that it degrades Nirvana's legacy and makes them appear as sell outs, even though that isn't possible seeing as Kurt Cobain is dead.

These are the two bands I would most like to see get their own Rock Band or Guitar Hero games. They both have big followings and were very very successful. They are pretty much the only bands I would even consider buying those big ass instrument sets for.

Nirvana eh? You want the game to last an hour tops, dont you? Yeah, they are popular and all, but besides on a few tracks, they are pretty vocally led. And by a few tracks, I mean half their work, considering they only released two albums. I reall do noty think they have the body of work to release an entire game, however, I think a Grunge Rock Band or Guitar Hero would do well, with bands like Pearl Jam, and Alice in Chains on it.

Well I am glad you agree with me choice of Red Hot Chilli Peppers, but I have to disagree with Santana and Satriani. The games now adays are about an entire band playing together. Santana and Satriani have had some band work, but their music focuses more on guitar work. Also, I doubt they have the fan support to sell well.

I completely agree with you on that, knowing that they'll probably find some odd way to turn it in to a rock band game rather than a guitar hero game, it's a shame really seeing as these two guitarists have left quite a mark in the industry if you ask me, especially Santana, and if it was to focus on a guitar side of the game, I'm gonna have to hold onto my opinion.

But knowing I'm an incredibly bad player on the Guitar Hero console, I have my doubts I would get to enjoy the full potential of the game anyway.

So I'm guessing if I really had to choose a band as opposed to a guitarist, I would love to see something along the lines of either Genesis (I know they probably don't have many good guitar songs, but still, they have some good songs, like "Land of Confusion") or Bon Jovi perhaps, (yes I like Bon Jovi..) which definitely has some good guitar songs, such as "Wanted Dead or Alive", "It's my life" and "Everyday" etc.

The biggest problem is you have to narrow it down to bands who have enough of a discography to even have a dedicated Guitar Hero/Rock Band game for themselves only. Not only do they have to have a big enough discography, but within that discography they have to have enough memorable tracks to make it worthwhile. You don't want a bunch of filler songs from a band that had maybe 5 or 6 good songs in the band's lifetime. So with that being said:

1. Led Zepplin - Wholeheartedly agree with TM here, Led Zepplin would make an excellent choice to have their own GH/RB game made for them. They have the legendary feel to them, as well as a plethora of great songs.

2. Jimi Hendrix - This is debatable. Most of Jimi's work was released after his death, but I would like to see this just based on the fact that Jimi was an outstanding guitarist.

At the moment I only have two on the list, as I properly can't wrap my head around who else would be an excellent choice. There are a lot of great bands out there, and I'm sure many would be deserving of their own GH/RB game, but I would like to see it geared towards more outstanding guitarists than just popular bands.

2.) AC/DC. I could have swore they had made one for them, or were making one for them... But anyways, I think AC/DC's set list is perfect for a bunch of frat boys playing while half intoxiated. You can even start with all the Bon Scott songs first.
Yeah AC/DC had a release of one of their live shows for Rock band. So fun to play with mates, and it has some killer tracks, like Thunderstruck, Highway to Hell and For Those About To Rock (We Salute You). Awesome fun trying to sing like Bon or Brian, and trying to follow Angus' guitar solos is fucking hard.

Red Hot Chili Peppers and Led Zepellin are both awesome choices. I would love to see a band play Sir Psycho Sexy, just to see if the vocalist gets nervous. :D Both bands have heaps of good tracks, and they are not all just focusing on the one instrument. Under The Bridge, Snow Hey Oh, Black Dog, Kashmir, all their songs would be awesome to play.

A band I think could be good for Rock Band is Dream Theater. Like the other two bands, the songs are not just focused on one instrument, and I know I for one would love to play song like A Change Of Seasons and Octavarium. They also have an extensive discography, with many awesome songs to pick from, and it would expose them to a wider audience which can never hurt the band.

Nirvana eh? You want the game to last an hour tops, dont you? Yeah, they are popular and all, but besides on a few tracks, they are pretty vocally led. And by a few tracks, I mean half their work, considering they only released two albums.

Just it clear it up TM Nirvana released three studio albums, one album of demos and they had the Unplugged one. I would like a Nirvana Rock Band/ Guitar Hero but being a die hard Nirvana fan my opinion is skewed, they only really had ten commercially successful songs so a game dedicated entirely to them might not be to good.

I reall do noty think they have the body of work to release an entire game, however, I think a Grunge Rock Band or Guitar Hero would do well, with bands like Pearl Jam, and Alice in Chains on it.

I would definitely get a grunge Rock Band seeing as that is one of my favorite kinds of music. Tracks from Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden would definitely be one to get.

Yeah AC/DC had a release of one of their live shows for Rock band. So fun to play with mates, and it has some killer tracks, like Thunderstruck, Highway to Hell and For Those About To Rock (We Salute You). Awesome fun trying to sing like Bon or Brian, and trying to follow Angus' guitar solos is fucking hard.

I thought they had one, just wasn't sure. I haven't played it yet, so I am glad "MY" idea was so marketable:).

A band I think could be good for Rock Band is Dream Theater. Like the other two bands, the songs are not just focused on one instrument, and I know I for one would love to play song like A Change Of Seasons and Octavarium. They also have an extensive discography, with many awesome songs to pick from, and it would expose them to a wider audience which can never hurt the band.

Dream Theater would be incredible to play, as the band themselves release some of the greatest put together music out there, I just question their marketability.

Just it clear it up TM Nirvana released three studio albums, one album of demos and they had the Unplugged one. I would like a Nirvana Rock Band/ Guitar Hero but being a die hard Nirvana fan my opinion is skewed, they only really had ten commercially successful songs so a game dedicated entirely to them might not be to good.

Ahh, I forgot Bleach. But yes, I agree on the limits the band could have made.

Another idea I have just going off of Tim's sig there is an entire Guitar Hero or Rock Band game going off of the story of Coheed and Cambria's The Amory Wars. As many of you should know if you are CoCa fans, their albums form the story of Claudio. Putting the songs together to reveal the story would be an incredible during.

Reactions: Tim
Another idea I have just going off of Tim's sig there is an entire Guitar Hero or Rock Band game going off of the story of Coheed and Cambria's The Amory Wars. As many of you should know if you are CoCa fans, their albums form the story of Claudio. Putting the songs together to reveal the story would be an incredible during.
I agree with this. Surprised? :p Some of their songs would transfer well over to Rock Band as well. Songs like No World For Tomorrow, Faint of Hearts and Junesong Provision just to name a few. Where there would be easy guitar parts, there would be sweet lead lines to play over them. And each instrument would transfer well to the game, with some nice bass lines and sick drumming to add to the guitars and vocals. And trying to sing like Claudio would be awesome for anyone, even if you might get laughed at a bit. Unfortunately, most people wouldn't even realise there was a story going on. :( At least they have the great tracks to play along to, and to any fan who knows about the story, it would be like a dream come true.

Im glad people still play music games, Alot of magazine and fans write it off as a past trend, I still thoroughly enjoy them, i love listening to music, so why not ''play'' along while listening.

The bands that to me have a strong enough tracklist:

Led Zepplin: Obvious, CLiche choice, but its the truth and we all know it.

White Stripes: I can see this being controversial, as Meg has a large amount of haters. And the fact that they're is only two of them. But I find they're whole catalog and they're covers (Ex: Jolene by Dolly parton) could be amazing as a full game

Judas Priest/Iron Maiden: Its unfair to always match them together, But could you imagine a mashed up Maiden/Priest Set list. A Vs. Series of Rock band. Not mash up meaning two songs blended into one, but a song from each back and forth in the setlist.

Tool: They have a great range of epic length songs, with difficulty. Great animated portions or even the videos of the songs in the background would work perfectly.

Another problem with Nirvana is that you have to remember, Heart Shaped Box is on Guitar Hero Smash Hits and Guitar Hero 2, About a Girl (Acoustic) is on Guitar Hero World Rour, Smeels Like Teen SPirit is on Guitar Hero 5, In Bloom was in Rock Band, Drain You is in RB 2, and DLC available for Rock Band includes almost all of Nevermind, 3 songs from Bleach, and 2 live songs. So really, there isn't enough content not already available to use, even if you thought you could make the game with the 3 studios, rarities collection, and live stuff.

As for my pick for a band that could work, I'd say AC/DC. Yeah, there's the Rock Band AC/DC Live expansion, but that doesn't count. They deserve a fully fleshed out game with more thsn 18 songs. They've got more than enough songs and popularity to warrant a full game, and the Rock Band AC/DC was really just a DLC track pack released on disk for whatever reason.

I'm probably a loner on this. But, I currently own Rockband 1 and 2 for PS2(Before I got the Xbox). And there is a few songs that I've never heard of. But My ultimate Rockband or GH would be A Three Days Grace version. And TDG fans here? Just wonderin'. Yes, they are too new. Just I would like ot see it in a few years. I know it will never happen though.

Another band that should be in consideration is Nirvana
'

That = FTW:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back