Sonic...What happened man?

Lee

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
History lesson, the year is 1991, Mario is kicking ass and out of nowhere is a blue blur. A hedgehog, with attitude.

Sonic 1 appears on the Meagdive/Genesis he storms is, Sonic 2 blurs past, 3 and Knuckles WOW and erm that's really it. The childhood hero to many has been lackluster for the past 10 years so what went wrong?

The 3D games

With Sonic 3D Sonic lost his key thing, speed. Whilst I loved Adventure it didn't go down too well from what I hear.

Bringing it to the real world

Remember in Adventure where Sonic is getting shot at by the police in the rain?

Too many characters

Tails, Knuckles, the rouges, Amy, Big, Blaze, Rouge the bat, Chaotix, Shadow, Silver, Fang/Nack, Tikal, Manix, Sonia.

Need I say more, as IGN once said "They should rid all the extra characters and just stick to Sonic/Robotnik"

What do you guys think? Does Sonic work in 3D? Are there too many characters? Or is it because Sonic was cool when roller blades were cool'?

Sonic can work extremely well in 3D. Go look up Sonic Robo Blast 2 for an extremely well-done 3D fangame.

I think that we need characters like Tails, Knuckles, and Metal Sonic but the others are unnecessary.

The main problem with the series now is that Sega is trying to move away from what made it so successful, instead of going the Mario route and simply trasitioning it into 3D with added features. The fact that they just don't seem to care about bugfixes, etc. isn't helping.

It's sad, really.

I think they-re focusing more on platforming than speed, and speed is what made sonic

Are there to many characters, i don't think so, mario has him, luigi, peach, toad, yoshi, wario, waluigi, bowser etc, so I don't think there's to many, should they all be in one game no.

Sonic needs to go back to speed, they nearly got it with sonic unleashed but they messed it up with the werehog bits, if they want all the other characters have them in multiplayer

I don't think Sonic can work well in 3D. His key thing is speed and the games where he's just sprinting along and bouncing from pillar to post has a pretty limited audience and will never be critically praised no matter how well they pull it off. I definitely don't care for them.

What most fans will generally say they want is a new 2.5D Sonic; as in, a 2D game with 3D graphics a la New Super Mario Bros. for the DS. Release it on either, well, the DS or on the online arcades.

Sonic Team seem to have recognised this and keep saying they're going back to Sonic's roots with each questionable instalment. Remember in the first game when Sonic turned into a werewolf? Remember in the first game where Sonic drove a jeep? Remember in the first game where Sonic battled the knight of El Casa Doome using his Infinity Gauntlets? No, didn't think so.

Otherwise, Sega are becoming increasingly notorious for producing games that are good, but only when Sonic isn't in them.

Regarding characters:

In the Mario games though you just play as Mario or Luigi whereby in Sonic you play as pretty much anyone now.

Regarding 2.5D games

Yeah they do have a 2.5 game on the DS, two in fact: Sonic Rush and Sonic RUsh adventure. The first was pretty good, second one was alright.

My main concern is they've tried to do a Mario and try and be innovative but it's just not really worked. Or maybe it's the fans expecting too much? Neh it's just fail of epic proportions.

I think a new Sonic adventure in 2.5D would work well. Get rid of all the ridiculous characters and just keep it as Sonic, Tails and Knuckles vs Robotnik and his metal cronies. I have been hoping they would make a sonic 2D again for a long time and im sure I'm not the only one, I'm sure fans of the franchise want to see it get back to its best and its best was when it was 2D. I've been playing the original 2D games recently and have been having a blast remembering how good these games were. So yeah bring it back in 2D or 2.5D and drop the stupid characters who were not there in the original 2D games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back