Sonic Colors (DS): A Review by Sean Valjean

Sean Valjean

Lets Bitch About This Thing We Love
SonicColorsBA-1.jpg

Developers: Sonic Team/Dimps
Publisher: Sega
Platform: Nintendo DS
Release: November 16, 2010

You know, being a Sonic fan in this day and age is like being an old prospector searching for gold. I just sift through the mud and dirt in a river of mediocrity hoping to find that one precious metal. I’ve been chastised by doubters saying that all gold is gone; that it’s time to move on. While worthwhile resources on consoles have long been depleted, developer Dimps has found a fortune in the handheld arena, the home of several solid games starring the speedy hedgehog. They’ve struck gold again in Sonic Colors, the most inventive Sonic game I’ve ever played.

This time, the story is set on an amusement park in space built by Dr.Eggman, whose goal is to gain control of a colorful alien race called Wisps. Naturally, that doesn’t sit well with Sonic and Co. (and by “Co.” I mean Tails, since the other characters are just kinda there for some reason) who set out to stop the good doctor with the help of his newfound extraterrestrial bff's.

Sonic’s signature speed, spin dash and homing attack already made for smooth, solid gameplay. That winning formula has been made better by the introduction of the new Wisps powers. Each Wisps grants Sonic a different ability. Sonic can turn into a drill that can burrow through solid rock, rocket ship that shoots you skyward, obliterating any enemy in your way. My personal favorite is becoming a black hole capable of sucking up enemies as well as rings, becoming larger with each object absorbed. These powers are integrated seamlessly into the gameplay allowing for fast, fluent platforming and add depth to a well-worn formula. The Sonic 2-style half-pipe special zones return with some new twist and were probably the most fun I’ve ever had collecting chaos emeralds.

SonicColors1.jpg
SonicColors2.jpg
SonicColors3.jpg
sonic_colors-30.jpg

Boss fights combine the 2D with 3D elements to give new elements of strategy. Running a full 360 degrees around a giant robot while dodging its strikes or dismantling a giant spaceship piece-by-piece. The changes in perspective during these battles add depth and freshness to the standard boss formula of Sonic games past.

However, once you get all of these cool powers, the game basically ends. While you can re-visit previous stages and use your new powers to locate previously hard-to-reach secrets, I would have liked to have at least one last zone that would require the use and mastery of all of the Wisp powers to complete. Side quest like collecting a set number of rings or destroying a number of enemies can be fun distractions, but are far too repetitive. There are also time trials and usual extra fluff you’d expect from these types of games but don’t expect it to hold your attention for more than a few minutes.

While I can’t speak for its console companion, this version of Sonic Colors provides fun and, dare I say, colorful Sonic goodness in a time where the Blue Blur struggles to produce a quality game. If you’re as big a fan of Sonic as I am or just looking for a decent platformer on the DS, Sonic Colors is worth a look.

Final Score: 8.5/10

Random Thoughts

-The Wisps are more charming and useful than any of Sonic’s friends since Tails. I say a replacement is in order.
-The Black Hole: The only thing capable of sucking more than Sonic '06.
-If you feel you have too many friends, this game also came with a snazzy Sonic hat that is still for sale. Wear it while playing for maximum dorkage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back