• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

So Kiyoshi Is Suicide? Dandy

ABMorales787

Lord And Master
Staff member
Administrator
Last Thursday during the iMPACT! broadcast, a video package of the TNA wrestlers promoting their toyline (and breaking kayfabe big time) aired. During the package, of all people, Suicide was there. Now on Wrestlezone.com, it's being reported the man wearing the oven mit-clad suit was.... Kiyoshi. Huh. Weird choice really. The plans are to roll with him. The reason this bugs me is because Suicide has shown that he talks. With a thick and easily imitable voice. But can Kiyoshi even speak English? Can he emulate the Suicide moveset, like Kaz and Daniels were able to? What are they gonna do about the voice thing? Are they gonna Shockmaster it and have Kaz voice over it? That would be a creepy coincidence seeing how he's in the "Fortune" stable. Only thing missing is the Ole Anderson comparison.

I for one wouldn't mind seeing the Suicide character back on TV. He had some potential. Plus we could use some more X Division guys in the fold. But Kiyoshi? I don't care. just be sure to stick a gun to his head if he does those chops during his matches. People would sniff it out in a heartbeat. Your opinion on this?

Kiyoshi?

Kiyoshi hasn't really been a success story in TNA. He has been given little to work with since he entered the company and has only been a filler. Sure, he was in World Elite but only due to him being an international competitor. They needed somebody to work the job from their stable, as well as pan out some tag team matches so the other relevant guys can get better spots on the card.

It'll give him something to do by donning the mask and he's decent enough of an X-Division wrestler to learn Suicide's moveset. Why let another talent go to waste when a similar position is clearly vacant? Kaz is Kaz now and he can't do it twice over, Daniels isn't with TNA anymore and anyone else is either busy, not the right build or can't pull it off. So really.... it could be said that Kiyoshi is the best option at the moment.

The only problem with re-introducing suicide is the video game was a bust in sales.

If the game did tremendous sales it would make sense to have the character actually debut, but it didn't and it felt forced.

it was reported on another site last week, that the new Japanese guy they signed, Okada is playing the Suicide Gimmick not Kiyoshi they did consider him tho

Sorry, Riaku, but this is one of the rare cases when I couldn't possibly disagree with you anymore.

Suicide is, was and always will be an utter and complete failure because his very existence was based off an absolute failure of a video game. The your foundation is flawed, so too are you.

I don't want to see him return at all. I'd sooner ask for the return of Shark Boy than the return of Suicide, to be honest, and I fucking hate Shark Boy.

But hey, for all you consistency freaks out there, at least TNA was consistent with this... if it is in fact Kiyoshi playing Suicide and a reveal is to be done at some point with him under the mask, just remember that Homicide called it when he found out who he was all those months ago – "You one ugly dude, Suicide". ;)

I don't deem Suicide as a failure. Sure the TNA Impact Videogame wasn't a success but out of the game, they got an original TNA character that is now TNA branded. I think it's cool. Yeah the name Suicide might not be the best name but the look of the character and the wrestling style of the character makes the character very marketable and dare I say PG 'kid friendly'. The colors, the outfit, the mask, it has children will love me written all over the character. Suicide is like a wrestling comic-book character. I believe Suicide is even 1 of the most anticipated toys next to Sting in TNA's new Jakks-Pacific toy brand collectable. So imo, the character is doing it's job. Suicide=Another marketing technique that I can't fault TNA for sticking it out with. Hell his glow in the dark T-shirts were even sellign well according to some house show reports.

As for Kiyoshi, Kiyoshi is doing nothing. He's talented enough to pull off the character. Kiyosh as himself did nothing for me and probably did nothing for most people anyway. Win/Win. He gets to work and TNA gets to push their TNA original product out there.

it was reported on another site last week, that the new Japanese guy they signed, Okada is playing the Suicide Gimmick not Kiyoshi they did consider him tho

That report has been put to rest. It's Kiyoshi that will play him not Okada.

I don't deem Suicide as a failure. Sure the TNA Impact Videogame wasn't a success but out of the game, they got an original TNA character that is now TNA branded. I think it's cool. Yeah the name Suicide might not be the best name but the look of the character and the wrestling style of the character makes the character very marketable and dare I say PG 'kid friendly'. The colors, the outfit, the mask, it has children will love me written all over the character. Suicide is like a wrestling comic-book character. I believe Suicide is even 1 of the most anticipated toys next to Sting in TNA's new Jakks-Pacific toy brand collectable. So imo, the character is doing it's job. Suicide=Another marketing technique that I can't fault TNA for sticking it out with. Hell his glow in the dark T-shirts were even sellign well according to some house show reports.

His name is Suicide, man. Suicide.

"the act or an instance of taking one's own life voluntarily and intentionally especially by a person of years of discretion and of sound mind"

How in the fuck is that even moderately marketable to kids?! Talk about a moral crisis in the making...

As for Kiyoshi, Kiyoshi is doing nothing. He's talented enough to pull off the character. Kiyosh as himself did nothing for me and probably did nothing for most people anyway. Win/Win. He gets to work and TNA gets to push their TNA original product out there.

That report has been put to rest. It's Kiyoshi that will play him not Okada.

Presuming there's never a reveal done, I guess. :disappointed:

His name is Suicide, man. Suicide.

How in the fuck is that even moderately marketable to kids?! Talk about a moral crisis in the making...

TNA made Suicide glow in the dark T-shirts. You think that's marketed towards adults? Besides the name Suicide, Suicide is a complete PG cartoon character.

It's Damn Real! said:
Presuming there's never a reveal done, I guess. :disappointed:

I don't get this.

TNA made Suicide glow in the dark T-shirts. You think that's marketed towards adults? Besides the name Suicide, Suicide is a complete PG cartoon character.

In what sense? He's dark, creepy and talks about being a savior a la the Ministry version of the Undertaker. His name is derived from the act of someone killing themselves. How on earth is this geared toward kids in the slightest?

I don't get this.

It's Kiyoshi, man – what could you possibly get out of revealing to the world that a masked man few care about is actually a man no one cares about?

Factor in that Kiyoshi probably knows six words of English, and it even less sense to ever do so.

I always found it funny that Suicide the wrestler was more successful than the video game. However the fact that who's playing it is totally irrelevant as himself allows the character to return without having to remove somebody. The X Division may be getting some buzz lately, but that doesn't mean a little more can be added. Suicide has a fan base and yes he can be quite marketable. If parents are dumb enough to buy kids "Suicide gear" that's them. However I recall Destination X 2009 having the entire front row decorated in Suicide Glow-in-the-darks. So there is some money to be made. He doesn't have to be based on the video game. He clearly found his own life when the game bombed. Its a nasty thing that will follow the character for life, but it doesn't mean he can't entertain or wrestle. He doesn't have to be a champion.

My ten year old little brother loves Suicide just as much as Rey Mysterio "And his mask is cooler."

IDR, I think you are making too big a deal over his name... It's just a name... He looks like a comic book hero and that's what kids see when they look at him... It may not be exactly WWE's version of "PG" but, that doesn't mean kids can't be into it...

I agree that Suicide is a great character for TNA and he should be on TV in some way... He Kiyoshi doesn't really have to talk... He could just be silent and mysterious and the kids would still love him and make their parents buy the shirts... I know, my little brother made me get him one...

And if their was ever a need for Suicide to be in a bigger angle where he did need to speak, you could always switch the guy behind the mask again... Kids will never know or care the difference...

Just seems a little morally irresponsible to be selling a character this dark and serious with a name like Suicide to me, is all. I realize the idea of a cartoonish-type masked super-hero is a marketing playground, but I'm not sure this playground isn't being built next to a graveyard all things considered.

Too late for a name change now, but I just wish they'd have given it a little more thought.

Even the older Lucha Libre masked wrestlers rarely carried names as socially damaging as his – Psycosis was probably the worst, in that vein. Even Abyss, Kane and Mankind – all masked – didn't carry such a destructive title, though they certainly acted the part.

Just seems a little morally irresponsible to be selling a character this dark and serious with a name like Suicide to me, is all. I realize the idea of a cartoonish-type masked super-hero is a marketing playground, but I'm not sure this playground isn't being built next to a graveyard all things considered.

Too late for a name change now, but I just wish they'd have given it a little more thought.

Even the older Lucha Libre masked wrestlers rarely carried names as socially damaging as his – Psycosis was probably the worst, in that vein. Even Abyss, Kane and Mankind – all masked – didn't carry such a destructive title, though they certainly acted the part.

Well, think of it this way. At least he's alive. I fail to see why they picked sucha lousy name, but I really don't see it as something that's too wrong. We do have Suicide Dive's. We have a wrestler named Homicide and we had Dr. Death. If anything, at least Suicide sends a good message as a character and not because of his name. But as far as the latino wrestler names goes, they can be very, very outlandish. So really naming his Suicide isn't the worst thing to do. Not when you have guys called Damian 666, El Satanico, El Asesino (The killer) or my favorite, El Culo (the asshole).

Well, think of it this way. At least he's alive. I fail to see why they picked sucha lousy name, but I really don't see it as something that's too wrong. We do have Suicide Dive's. We have a wrestler named Homicide and we had Dr. Death. If anything, at least Suicide sends a good message as a character and not because of his name. But as far as the latino wrestler names goes, they can be very, very outlandish. So really naming his Suicide isn't the worst thing to do. Not when you have guys called Damian 666, El Satanico, El Asesino (The killer) or my favorite, El Culo (the asshole).

But those guys aren't marketed in the US to as wide a fanbase as this. It's simply accepted vernacular/circumstance down there, because they understand the difference between wrestling and real life, which a lot of children in the US do not. Our kids are much more impressionable, which is why you read about our kids mimicking wrestling moves and killing their friends and siblings far more than you read of it coming from places with as rich a history in pro-wrestling as Mexico.

Suicide dives, Homicide (stupid name, too) and Dr. Death aside, I just think it's a lousy name, is all.

It's Damn Real! said:
In what sense? He's dark, creepy and talks about being a savior a la the Ministry version of the Undertaker. His name is derived from the act of someone killing themselves. How on earth is this geared toward kids in the slightest?

What do you mean in what sense? Maybe you skipped childhood and went straight into adulthood or something but kids love characters that look like Suicide. Suicide is colorful and bright as hell. What is there for kids not to love. He looks like Spiderman and Rey Mysterio all in one, 2 characters that are big with kids. His name doesn't mean a thing. What do you think that's going to stop a kid from liking him because of his name when 8 out of 10 times, an innocent kid might not even know what suicide means? You see Suicide as dark and creepy but are you going to tell me dark & creepy characters haven't been marketed towards kids in the past. Look in comic books. Fact is that most kids love the Suicide character. He's from a freaking video game. How much more kid can you get than that?

It's Damn Real! said:
It's Kiyoshi, man – what could you possibly get out of revealing to the world that a masked man few care about is actually a man no one cares about

Unless you've polled every TNA fan and viewer in the world, I don't know where you come off saying that few people care about him? Your opinion doesn't necessarily represent 99.99 percent of TNA viewers.

And then you go again saying few people care about Kiyoshi? Again you have no data to back this up? Since when did TNA ever say they would announce/reveal to the world that the person playing the Suicide character would be Kiyoshi? Maybe you know something I don't know but I've never heard TNA say they would announce that Suicide would be played by Kiyoshi.

And you seem to miss the point. No one may care to see Kiyoshi as you claim but people may care about the character Kiyoshi will be playing which is all that matters.:shrug:

It's Damn Real! said:
Factor in that Kiyoshi probably knows six words of English, and it even less sense to ever do so.

Kiyoshi knows 6 words of English (according to your knowledge) but how many times has Suicide spoken? Suicide is not the Miz or Anderson. He's not an outspoken character required to talk. The character is very quiet and mysterious. And if Suicide was to need a voice, it's not like TNA can't do a backstage segment with someone talking underneath the costume. You're overthinking a bit too much It's Damn Real!

Honestly my reaction to this whole thread is "Kiyoshi"???? Not the most avid TNA fan but watch it most of the time and really can't say he's left any impression on me what so ever so, perhaps the gimmick change might do him good.

For those that're saying suicide isn't that bad a name as it's a super-hero type character. Say they'd called him "The Rapeinator" same costume, same moves, same t-shirts etc, it'd be shit on quite rightly, yet suicide is ok? The day I hear a crowd of kids shouting out "I love Suicide" is the day I just give up on common sense

Honestly my reaction to this whole thread is "Kiyoshi"???? Not the most avid TNA fan but watch it most of the time and really can't say he's left any impression on me what so ever so, perhaps the gimmick change might do him good.

For those that're saying suicide isn't that bad a name as it's a super-hero type character. Say they'd called him "The Rapeinator" same costume, same moves, same t-shirts etc, it'd be shit on quite rightly, yet suicide is ok? The day I hear a crowd of kids shouting out "I love Suicide" is the day I just give up on common sense

Worse yet, just chanting "SU-I-CIDE! SU-I-CIDE! SU-I-CIDE!" There's something incredibly objectionable – morally speaking – about the idea of that happening to me.

Superhero or not, the idea of basing some type of heroic atmosphere around a guy named after the concept of killing yourself combined with the attitude he has of being a "dark savior" doesn't exactly have me first in line to buy the child-sized t-shirts TNA would be selling anytime soon.

While on the subject of dark names don't forget TNA also had Rellik which is Killer spelled backwards, just ask Mike Tenay, he'll tell ya.

And I'm happy for the possible return of Suicide. I thought the character was interesting enough for an X-division wrestler and maybe work into the mid card. And I'm pretty sure most people don't relate the character to the video game anymore. Plus it gives guys like Kiyoshi something to do. Lucha libre has done this sort of thing many times in the past with replacing the athlete under the mask of a character. I see nothing wrong with it.

Honestly, I always thought Kiyoshi was good in Japan. When he came over here, he got the treatment most stars get coming into a big brand; he got pushed into the midcard, and disappeared. Playing Suicide, while probably the best thing Kiyoshi has had since coming to TNA, is not good for Kiyoshi. The character is a mediocre character from an even worse video game. It was good at first, as this mysterious superhero who came and saved the day every once in a while. Then again, didn't Super Eric do the same thing? Nuff said.

Personally, I stopped caring about Suicide about the same time as I stopped caring about the video game. To me he'll always be linked to the game, so I don't really see any reason to bring him back regardless of who's in the suit. If you want to showcase the X Division, use the guys you've got (there's a few of them more well known than Kiyoshi) or if you really want to bring in "new" blood, bring back Petey Williams. Either way, repackaging Kiyoshi as Suicide doesn't really accomplish much IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back