So I'm starting to watch a lot more football

So I'm surfing the web, and somehow I end up researching the United Football League, established last year. And as soon as I found out there was a new local team in Hartford with a few games on my local sports network, I made the decision to watch a lot more football than just the NFL and NCAA. Are there any other leagues I should be on the lookout for? I mean, I know there's the UFL and CFL, but if there are any others that you know about, let me know, because I'll be willing to watch any kind of football by now. Except soccer, but that's for a different thread.

The arena league is always an entertaining one. A team's coming to Pittsburgh next year even. Pretty excited. I think the season is something like April to August, so that gives you something in the summer. They did lose their TV deal after a lockout a few years ago, but I'm sure you could find it somewhere. It's really high scoring, fast paced, etc. The players are pretty shit though.

Personally, a million football games on Saturday and Sunday is enough for me though. Overexposure is never a good thing.

Arena Football airs every Friday night on the NFL network, during its season. The NFL also shows some CFL games, in addition to airing replays of NFL games. I don't know if they still do it, but ESPN Classic occasionally shows USFL games from the 80s. (not great football all the time, but entertaining as hell).

If you are only concerned with current leagues, as far as I know, the only football you can see on TV is NFL, NCAA, AFL (and AFL2, depending on region), UFL and CFL.

The arena league is always an entertaining one. A team's coming to Pittsburgh next year even. Pretty excited. I think the season is something like April to August, so that gives you something in the summer. They did lose their TV deal after a lockout a few years ago, but I'm sure you could find it somewhere. It's really high scoring, fast paced, etc. The players are pretty shit though.

Personally, a million football games on Saturday and Sunday is enough for me though. Overexposure is never a good thing.

Yeah the Arena Football isn't that bad if you like watching passing offenses, not geared toward the 3yds in a cloud of dust. It's fairly entertaining and there has been a few Arena league players that played their way into the NFL.

If I'm not mistaking, isn't this the second time we've had a team in PGH?

If I'm not mistaking, isn't this the second time we've had a team in PGH?

I think that was a women's team, possibly of the same name. They were freaking beasts, pretty sure they won the title like 3 years in a row.

That brings up another point, you can watch women's football. Saw a commercial for the "Lingere Football League" or something like that the other day. It's supposed to be serious action though, not like the Lingere Bowl. Then again, I think it's on Spike, so it'll likely just be a bunch of tits.

Not that it matters in the slightest, but PGH was one of the original cities for Arena Football

Inaugural season
Following the successes of his trial-run games, Foster moved ahead with his idea for arena football. He founded the Arena Football League with four teams: the Pittsburgh Gladiators, Denver Dynamite, Washington Commandos, and Chicago Bruisers.[4] The first game in Arena Football League history was played between the Gladiators and Commandos at Pittsburgh Civic Arena in front of 12,117 fans.[5] The game was deliberately not televised so that it could be analyzed and any follies and failures would not be subject to national public scrutiny. Following the inaugural game, tweaks and adjustments were made, and the first season continued.[3] Each team played six games, two against each other team. The top two teams, Denver and Pittsburgh, then competed in the first-ever AFL championship game, ArenaBowl I.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back