So close, Michael Cole.

HeenanGorilla

Championship Contender
I am not a fan of Michael Cole and some of his stats (Jericho's 14th Mania ties him for 6th with Bret Hart????) leave me wondering who he thinks cares at all. I guess if Jericho comes back next year, it will be a huge moment as he takes sole possession of 6th place. Or does he then tie for 5th place? I can't imagine anyone cares about either.

At the end of the Fatal Four-Way Women's match, I thought he was about to give a good note...and then he swung and missed as only he can. (I don't care if Vince is in his ear, this guy is the mouthpiece and gets the credit and blame)

Bayley won the match and retained her title by pinning Charlotte with a "Macho Man" elbow. At this point, it occurred to me that it was kind of a fitting finish and as I was thinking it, Michael Cole--referring to the "Macho Man" elbow--said something along the lines of "How fitting.." (at which point, I was starting to think 'Good for you, Cole!') and then finished his thought with something like "...that it was 30 years ago that Randy Savage had a match with Ricky Steamboat that some people still consider one of the all-time WrestleMania classics." (Again, something like that--I don't remember what he said word-for-word)

So close, Cole! Yes, that Savage/Steamboat match was 30 years ago and yes Bayley used a "Macho Man" elbow to win. But THAT is the match you think of to compare the two moments?? A clearly more "fitting" note would have been that 25 years earlier, Macho Man--who Bayley had just emulated-- beat Ric Flair--Charlotte's dad--for the WWF title, just as Bayley just won her title match. Macho Man's move to beat Ric Flair's daughter...and he thinks it's fitting because of the Steamboat match?!

I admit I can't stand Cole and, like I said, I know he is fed a lot of his info. But, come on! The guy has been an announcer forever and he never improves. Irrelevant stats and phony excitement...he just doesn't have it and it boggles my mind that he has been around for so long. I did enjoy some of the other announcers last night. And it was so clear Cole is nowhere near the announcer JR still is.

Anyway, I thought Cole had a good note to add...and he swung and missed. It was right there for the taking. An earth-shattering note? Not by any means. But a more relevant comparison than of the Steamboat match...that not only didn't end with a Savage elbow, didn't even end with a Savage victory. Nice try, Cole. But close only counts in hand grenades and horseshoes, as Gorilla Monsoon would repeat to quote Mean Gene Okerlund--two other greats whose talent Cole's is nowhere near.

You're missing what he meant by it. He compared it to a match that is considered one of the greatest 'Mania matches ever. He was putting the match over.

You're missing what he meant by it. He compared it to a match that is considered one of the greatest 'Mania matches ever. He was putting the match over.

No.

I'm sorry, that was not at all what he was doing. There is no way that even clueless Michael Cole thought that Fatal Four-Way was anywhere good enough to be compared to Steamboat/Savage. He was making a Macho Man comparison, missed the common Flair link and used an inferior example.

I know I am probably too hard on Cole for most people's taste; but, to suggest he was simply comparing last night's match to an all-time classic in order to put it over is absolutely false.

No.

I'm sorry, that was not at all what he was doing. There is no way that even clueless Michael Cole thought that Fatal Four-Way was anywhere good enough to be compared to Steamboat/Savage. He was making a Macho Man comparison, missed the common Flair link and used an inferior example.

I know I am probably too hard on Cole for most people's taste; but, to suggest he was simply comparing last night's match to an all-time classic in order to put it over is absolutely false.

It's not false. You're just allowing your hatred of Michael Cole to cloud your judgment.

After one of the greatest 'Mania's in recent memory, a night on which the Harry's returned, Goldberg got put in his place, Kurt Angle returning to 'Mania and The Undertaker retiring you don't decide to make a multi paragraph thread on any of this things.

You attack an announcer over a line nobody paid attention to. What's your problem?

You need to get over yourself.

After one of the greatest 'Mania's in recent memory, a night on which the Harry's returned, Goldberg got put in his place, Kurt Angle returning to 'Mania and The Undertaker retiring you don't decide to make a multi paragraph thread on any of this things.

That is correct.

Michael Cole takes away from the broadcast, so I addressed the part that bothered me the most.

This forum is full of repetitive posts and opinions, so I went for something original. If someone also noticed Cole's misstep, they can respond to me. If someone doesn't care, they can move on. The person who needs to "get over themselves" is the one who feels the need to share his opinion on a topic that is of no interest to him.

Thank you for reminding me what else happened last night. I hadn't forgotten. I am sure those topics are discussed elsewhere.

That is correct.

Michael Cole takes away from the broadcast, so I addressed the part that bothered me the most.

This forum is full of repetitive posts and opinions, so I went for something original. If someone also noticed Cole's misstep, they can respond to me. If someone doesn't care, they can move on. The person who needs to "get over themselves" is the one who feels the need to share his opinion on a topic that is of no interest to him.

Thank you for reminding me what else happened last night. I hadn't forgotten. I am sure those topics are discussed elsewhere.

There were 5 other commentators to satisfy your needs. Maybe you could learn another language as Wrestlemania is now broadcast in over 50 different countries.

So you form your opinions to be different? You devil.

How did he misstep? Because he didn't say what you wanted?

He doesn't measure up to your godly level of old school wrestling knowledge and so he is beneath you?

It's because he's younger than you, never stepped in the ring and hasn't 'paid his dues' isn't it.

I'm interested in the topic and your delusion of grandeur you feel you hold over Michael Cole.

There were 5 other commentators to satisfy your needs. Maybe you could learn another language as Wrestlemania is now broadcast in over 50 different countries.

So you form your opinions to be different? You devil.

How did he misstep? Because he didn't say what you wanted?

He doesn't measure up to your godly level of old school wrestling knowledge and so he is beneath you?

It's because he's younger than you, never stepped in the ring and hasn't 'paid his dues' isn't it.

I'm interested in the topic and your delusion of grandeur you feel you hold over Michael Cole.

No, my opinions form themselves. I post original topics, however, for the reason I already explained.

No, his misstep was in referencing the wrong Savage match. This was also explained earlier.

Out of curiosity, while waiting for your response, I looked at some other posts of yours. Not much quality there. That, plus you ask questions for answers I've already provided. You are boring and bring nothing to the table. Nothing another name change can't fix, right?

Your incorrect assumptions also prove what was already apparent. I see you also always need to get the last word in, so feel free. I couldn't be less interested in your poor writing skills.

If you didn't like cole's commentary, you probably were happy that mauro ranallo is still sick leaves because mauro is even worst at doing meaningless fact then cole is.

Personally i don'T mind either one, i think the both bring their own still and i really enjoy Cole on commentary last night. He did a really good job, so did tom phillips on the smackdown side.

To answer your point, Savage didn't beat Flair with an elbow... so the point doesn't really fly... He was putting the quality of the match over rather than the rivalry between Bayley & Charlotte - as they're probably not continuing it...

Cole actually did the right thing, he put a womens match in the same bracket as one of the all time classic Mania matches... even a year ago that would be unheard of.

It seemed more of a "Wow Bayley retained and had her dream wrestlemania moment. Awesome that she loves macho man who just happened to have that legendary match against Steamboat 3 decades ago". Cole really isn't that awful as a commentator. If you're over critical of wrestling product just don't even bother watching WWE.

To answer your point, Savage didn't beat Flair with an elbow... so the point doesn't really fly... He was putting the quality of the match over rather than the rivalry between Bayley & Charlotte - as they're probably not continuing it...

Cole actually did the right thing, he put a womens match in the same bracket as one of the all time classic Mania matches... even a year ago that would be unheard of.

I never said Savage beat Flair with an elbow. Sorry that your rebuttal is based on something I didn't write.

And no, he did not do the right thing. These women have had great matches; this was not one of them. And to say this is a classic on Steamboat/Savage's level is overdoing it with praising the women.

You guys are ridiculous. He had a better match to reference and he didn't. Telling me to not watch WWE is childish.

Still baffled by the Mania IV bracket? Work on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back