• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Smoking in a car

My$terio_Fan

I can do whatever I want
This is beginning to become a big issue where I live. The goverments/municipalities want to create a new law where it is illegal to smoke in your car when you have children under the age of 16 in it with you. There are two real sides to this and I'm torn on the issue. For one if a parent is smoking in the car with a child, the kid is basically being poisoned and we all know how bad second hand smoke is for a child. The child can choose whether or not they drive with their parents so why should they have to suffer.

The other side of the argument is that if the goverment makes this illegal, what's next, no smoking in your house if theirs a child? Should the goverment be able to control what we do in our own house?

Me as a known non-smoker would be fine if this law passed, becuase it dosen;t affect me negatively but what do you people think?

The law is stupid for two reasons. Why is it ok for a parent to smoke in a car with a 16 year-old? The 16 year-old is still too young to decide for himself if he wants to smoke, but it's ok for parents to "poison" him, but not his 14 year-old sister. Setting an age limit like 16 is stupid if the 16 year-old is still underage. But that's semantics, and I find it funny.

Next, people smoke with windows down. Smoke goes out the window. Sure a little bit stays in the car, but that smoke settles into seats and carpet up front pretty quick. If I'm smoking with the windows up, it's not a cigarette, and there's no 16 year-olds.

But not everyone smokes with the windows down. What about if it's raining or snowing? Or when people are using air conditioning? And I for one who can contest to the fact even when the windows are down sometimes the smoke just blows back into the backseats and not out the window(personal experience). And I'm not completley shure if its 16 that is the limit(could be 18...i will check later).

You're probably right about the smoke blowing into the back if it rains or snows. I livee in a seaside tropical paradise. No snow, and it rarely rains.

Ok, it's not paradise, but the weather is pretty good.

I just think that it's another example of over-legislation. I hate that governments, local ones at that, need to tell people how to live. I am a smoker, and I really don't think my behavior is leading to the downfall of the world. Now I understand that it might annoy some people, but their preaching about the dangers of smoking annoys me, so we're even.

It's pretty sad when a parent doesn't care enough about their children that they'll smoke around them and make them breath in their smoke. Now I don't care if someone wants to smoke or doesn't as long as they don't make their kids, or any other kids breath in that nasty stuff.

That is just plain absurd. There is absolutely zero evidence whatsoever that proves second hand smoke kills or causes cancer. Is it uncomfortable for a child to have his parent puffing away in his or her face? Obviously. That's why you don't be a douche and if you do smoke in front of your child you make sure that your child isn't having your smoke blown on them. Smoke of any kind is bad for your lungs, but the astoundingly miniscule amount of smoke that your lungs take in from second hand smoke is just ridiculious. Maybe we should start outlawing people from grilling in front of their children? Or how about we make camp fires illegal?

The nature of this law just doesn't work for me. The idea of the law is the car and the age. Yes, smoke is bad for you. If nothing else just for the smell of it getting on you. The problem that I have with this is one thing. The first of these is that a person can't smoke in their own car? It's THEIR car, not the governments. Is smoking somehow bad for children? More than likely. Is it something that is absolutely necessecary for the parents to survive? No. But it's their decision on what they should be allowed to do in their vehicles. Like someone already said, what's next? No smoking for people in their houses? It's their decision, not the governments.

I think that everyone is missing the point of this potential law. I believe that there are two parts to this. The first is second hand smoke and the second is driving hazard. The government's main duty is for the protection of its citizens, and allowing people to smoke while driving creates a potentially life-threatening situation. Especially if someone is smoking while going 70 down a highway. It distracts a person from paying complete attention to the road.

This is beginning to become a big issue where I live. The goverments/municipalities want to create a new law where it is illegal to smoke in your car when you have children under the age of 16 in it with you. There are two real sides to this and I'm torn on the issue. For one if a parent is smoking in the car with a child, the kid is basically being poisoned and we all know how bad second hand smoke is for a child. The child can choose whether or not they drive with their parents so why should they have to suffer.

The other side of the argument is that if the goverment makes this illegal, what's next, no smoking in your house if theirs a child? Should the goverment be able to control what we do in our own house?

Me as a known non-smoker would be fine if this law passed, becuase it dosen;t affect me negatively but what do you people think?

Are you from Queensland? Cause the State govt. just passed a law exactly the same as this.

Pretty much I see this as an ok thing, I mean unless you are going on a really long drive than I think you can wait 30 minutes to have a cigarette. The other side of this is that the police already have a hard enough time policing the other umpteenth laws and police numbers are already stretched so thin that chances are you will be able to do it and get away with it. Also I dont have any kids so this doesnt really affect me in the least.

Please note that I am a smoker, but I dont smoke inside my own home and either do the other two people who live there, so I dont see that as a big deal either.

But at the end of the day we are turning into a nanny state with the governments imposing themselves into our private lives more often telling us what we can and cant do. Furthermore more and more people are whinging that the government needs to step in and moderate more things on a day-to-day basis where it feels like it has gotten to the point where people can no longer think and act for themselves without someone telling them what to do and its kinda sad to be honest.

As someone who doesn't smoke, I really dont mind this law being put in place. It's safer for the person smoking, the kids and other people in the car, plus everyone else on the roads. Smoking while driving can be a distraction. Granted it may not be as big of a distraction as talking on the cell phone, but it is still a distraction.

The thing is though, it is also depriving people of their rights. Some people love the right to smoke when they choose. I personally dont smoke, but I dont mind when people smoke around me. Its a double edged sword. On one hand its a great law, but on the other it is taking away people's rights. I am neither for or against it. If it happens, great. If it doesnt, oh well.

I don't mind this law being put into place, as I don't smoke and if I did it would be weird. I'm only 14, so this would affect me and I think this is a good idea. It can distract you from your driving and it should be stopped.

But its a persons right, and we shouldn't be able to take away a eprson's right. And if they are stupid enough to do it in front of their kids in the car and risk their own health and their kid's health, then they should go ahead and do it nd they can only blame themself. But I think they put too much emphasis on these little things when they should be putting more emphasis on things like poverty.

Smoking shouldn't be allowed when driving, the same as speaking on the phone shouldn't. It makes you take your hands off of the wheel, as well as taking up your concentration. Someone in England got fined for eating while behind the wheel, I see smoking as no different. It's not takingaway rights when you think about the fact you could save lives and are making the roads safer for other people.

Personally, I want this to come into force in England. I hate people smoking around me, as I have asthma and smoking is the only thing that makes it bad. As well as the fact smoking is killing people and makes them stink. People do smoke when I'm in the car with them. And not only me, my 6 year old sister. I think it is awful. People shouldn't even be allowed to smoke anywhere around a child. It's a fucking awful habit and they are horrible parents if they don't care that they're killing their child.

People shouldn't even be allowed to smoke anywhere around a child. It's a fucking awful habit and they are horrible parents if they don't care that they're killing their child.
It hasnt been proven that second hand smoke is harmful for kids.

The one thing people have to remember is What about the kids. There are a shit load of kids under this age that smoke. It shouldnt be a law for this shit. Little kids yes it should be illegal to smoke in the car but if they are over five then whats it going to hurt.

Xfear but it best, this is saying we should stop doing everything that causes smoke infront of children. Grilling, Camp fires. A camp fire, is more dangerous then a fucking smoke. This law is in place in tasmania and its bullshit. its taking peoples right away from them, yes by all means ban people for smoking in public places. but the government has no fucking right to tell people what they can and cant do in thier own car.

What you do in your car and your own house as long as it aint breaking the law should be your own buisness. if you dont want smoking in your house then dont but if you want to its ok.

I dont think your a bad parent if you smoke around your kid. My mum has smoked all through her pregnacy with four of her five kids. the one she didnt smoke during she was pregnate with ended up with asthma. so Smoking the only person it is doing any harm is yourself. People have been smoking for years around people. and nothing has been said before the last year or so

People are only saying second hand smoke is dangerous for people are around them is becouse they dont like it. People need to grow up and start acting normal.

That would be like me becoming prime minister and making it illegal to eat Mushrooms at a restuarant simply becouse i dont like the smell.

It hasnt been proven that second hand smoke is harmful for kids.

nhs.com said:
Even if you open a window, secondhand smoke will still be present in a room after two and a half hours! Even if you can't see or smell any smoke, it's probably still there. Smoking in a car is even worse because all of the smoke is concentrated into a small space.#

People that breath secondhand smoke are at risk of the same diseases as smokers, including cancer and heart disease, because secondhand smoke contains 4,000 toxic chemicals. It is estimated that secondhand smoke causes thousands of deaths each year.

Children are particularly affected by secondhand smoke because their bodies are still developing, and around half of all British children are growing up in homes where at least one parent is a smoker.

Passve smoking IS a big problem, made even worse when it's children who are the ones taking in the smoke. It is unfair for a parent to subject their child to smoke. Everyone has a right to smoke. But everyone should also have a right to be in a smoke-free envireonment. That's the problem with smokers. All the talk about is their rights to smoke, and don't think about the fact non-smokers have a right NOT to breathe in your smoke.

The one thing people have to remember is What about the kids. There are a shit load of kids under this age that smoke. It shouldnt be a law for this shit. Little kids yes it should be illegal to smoke in the car but if they are over five then whats it going to hurt.

This is just ignorance. I'm 16, and if there is too much smoke in the air around me I could have an asthma attack. statistics show at least one in 10 children have asthma. Unless you have it you won't realise what a big problem it is. Furthermore, a child is much more likely to take up smoking after seeing their parents do so.

Xfear but it best, this is saying we should stop doing everything that causes smoke infront of children. Grilling, Camp fires. A camp fire, is more dangerous then a fucking smoke. This law is in place in tasmania and its bullshit. its taking peoples right away from them, yes by all means ban people for smoking in public places. but the government has no fucking right to tell people what they can and cant do in thier own car.

And you have no right to force a child to breathe in smoke. Stop banging on about YOUR rights and think about your children. Isn't that what being a parent is all about?

The camp fire argument is stupid. Are you lighting 10 campfires a day around yout child? Are you forcing them to breathe it in in such a small area such as a car?

What you do in your car and your own house as long as it aint breaking the law should be your own buisness. if you dont want smoking in your house then dont but if you want to its ok.

But what about your children? They may not want smoking in the house. But their right don't matter, right? :rolleyes:

I dont think your a bad parent if you smoke around your kid. My mum has smoked all through her pregnacy with four of her five kids. the one she didnt smoke during she was pregnate with ended up with asthma. so Smoking the only person it is doing any harm is yourself. People have been smoking for years around people. and nothing has been said before the last year or so

I've already given you evidence above that second hand smoke DOES harm people. Laws wouldn't be passed trying to protect children if this was all made up. Did you know that if you're a child living with people that smoke your Carbon Monoxide levels can be double that of a child living in a smoke-free environment?

People are only saying second hand smoke is dangerous for people are around them is becouse they dont like it. People need to grow up and start acting normal.

So because I don't want to die from someone elses choice that's me being immature and not normal? Please, explain how this could possibly work.

That would be like me becoming prime minister and making it illegal to eat Mushrooms at a restuarant simply becouse i dont like the smell.

How the hell is that endangering anyones life? You're ignorant to the fact people CAN die from second hand smoke. That people do get affected by it. You need to grow up, and realise yoru choices affect other people as well, and if you cared tha much for your child you wouldn't want them subjected to anything harmful.

This is just ignorance. I'm 16, and if there is too much smoke in the air around me I could have an asthma attack. statistics show at least one in 10 children have asthma.
But does that mean that the one child that has it was around Smokers? There is no way to prove that. Asthma is set off by many things. And you cant stop all things that cause it. I am not going to tell my neighbour to use a catcher when he mows the lawn becouse it sets my asthma off. I suck up and put up with it.
Unless you have it you won't realise what a big problem it is.
I have it I have a bad case of asthma. I know what it is like having it. Smoke never set me off, Im not saying that i welcome smoking all through the house. but you should be aloud to smoke in your own house. Just becouse you smoke dont mean you have to be punished by having to leave your own house.
Furthermore, a child is much more likely to take up smoking after seeing their parents do so.
Thats pure BS. I know kids that parents smoke and they dont smoke becouse they dont want to be like that. I think its more of a deterrent for most kids.

And you have no right to force a child to breathe in smoke. Stop banging on about YOUR rights and think about your children. Isn't that what being a parent is all about?
Yes it is, but I dont think it should be illegal to smoke in your car, Its not illegal to drink infront of your kids its not illegal to spray poisinous chemicals in a room with your kids. I honestly do NOT think smoking harms kids via Second Hand Smoke. its not like i am holding the kid down putting blowing smoke into his mouth. When i smoke in a car I have the window open and blow the smoke outside the window. it is not hurting the kid in anyway
But what about your children? They may not want smoking in the house. But their right don't matter, right? :rolleyes:
If my kid was to tell me they didnt like it i wouldnt do it. I walk into a house or a car and light a smoke up until i got permission to from the owner I respect other people but in my car i expect to be able to do it.

But does that mean that the one child that has it was around Smokers? There is no way to prove that. Asthma is set off by many things. And you cant stop all things that cause it. I am not going to tell my neighbour to use a catcher when he mows the lawn becouse it sets my asthma off. I suck up and put up with it. I have it I have a bad case of asthma. I know what it is like having it.

Smoking is NOT a necessity. It serves no purpose. All it does is kill people and guess what? They're paying to be killed. It's like a slow suicide. How a parent can not care that they're poisoning their child is beyond me completely.

Smoke never set me off, Im not saying that i welcome smoking all through the house. but you should be aloud to smoke in your own house. Just becouse you smoke dont mean you have to be punished by having to leave your own house. Thats pure BS. I know kids that parents smoke and they dont smoke becouse they dont want to be like that. I think its more of a deterrent for most kids.

It's statistically proven that children who come from a family where smoking is present, take up smoking themselves.

kidshealth.org said:
Kids are quick to observe any contradiction between what their parents say and what they do. Despite what you might think, most kids say that the adult whom they most want to be like when they grow up is a parent.

You're making this so easy for me. All the answers to disprove what you are saying are right there on the internet. It's common knowledge. I took Health and Social care for 2 years, and passed the exam with an A. I know all about what smoking can do to a child.

Yes it is, but I dont think it should be illegal to smoke in your car, Its not illegal to drink infront of your kids its not illegal to spray poisinous chemicals in a room with your kids. I honestly do NOT think smoking harms kids via Second Hand Smoke.

And I've given you plenty of evidence to show it does. Please, google it. People can DIE from seconf hand smoke. Face the facts and stop worrying about yourself and how you feel about not smoking.

its not like i am holding the kid down putting blowing smoke into his mouth. When i smoke in a car I have the window open and blow the smoke outside the window. it is not hurting the kid in anyway

This debate is going around in circles. Passive smoking is real. It affects children every single day. If you can't accept that I don't understand how you can post in this debate.

If my kid was to tell me they didnt like it i wouldnt do it. I walk into a house or a car and light a smoke up until i got permission to from the owner I respect other people but in my car i expect to be able to do it.

Firstly, what about your child? It's the question you're avoiding. What makes smoking so important to you it means more than your childs health?

Secondly, it's something that distracts a driver at the wheel. They're taking their hands off of the wheel, as well as possibly being distracted. With your opinion that it's your car and you can do what you want, does that also mean you should be allowed to speak on the phone while driving?

You're being completely selfish in that you're only thinking of yourself. Not your child, or other road users.

Smoking shouldn't be allowed when driving, the same as speaking on the phone shouldn't. It makes you take your hands off of the wheel, as well as taking up your concentration. Someone in England got fined for eating while behind the wheel, I see smoking as no different. It's not takingaway rights when you think about the fact you could save lives and are making the roads safer for other people.

People once had the right to smoke in their car. Now they don't. How again is that not taking away a right?

Personally, I want this to come into force in England. I hate people smoking around me, as I have asthma and smoking is the only thing that makes it bad. As well as the fact smoking is killing people and makes them stink. People do smoke when I'm in the car with them. And not only me, my 6 year old sister. I think it is awful. People shouldn't even be allowed to smoke anywhere around a child. It's a fucking awful habit and they are horrible parents if they don't care that they're killing their child.

I'm so fucking sick of this crap, if thats how you feel HBK_aholic, then you damn well better be ALL FOR banning camp fires and grilling, because both cause more second hand smoke to those around you then a fucking cigarette does. The absolutely mind-numbingly miniscule amount of smoke that enters your lungs from second hand smoke off of a cigarette is astounding. You could sit in a room with someone who smoked 5 packs a day and not leave that room for 20 years, and you'd leave with absolutely no consequence to your health. And if you disagree with banning campfires and grilling in front of your children, then you're simply a hypocrite.

Smoking is NOT a necessity. It serves no purpose. All it does is kill people and guess what? They're paying to be killed. It's like a slow suicide. How a parent can not care that they're poisoning their child is beyond me completely.

How the fuck are they "poisoning" their child? THERE IS ABSOLUTELY ZERO HARD EVIDENCE WHAT SO EVER THAT PROVES SECOND HAND SMOKE CAUSES OR IS LINKED TO CANCER OR ANY OTHER SMOKING-RELATED ILLNESS. FUCKING ZERO.

What purpose does chocolate serve? None. Guess we should ban that as well, after all it's very fattening and bad for your body. What purpose do cigarettes serve? Enjoyment? Pleasure? Relaxation? The same exact purpose as the arts? Should we ban the arts as well? They after all serve no real purpose.

It's statistically proven that children who come from a family where smoking is present, take up smoking themselves.

I'm going to assume that you simply made a mistake in writing this sentence, because what you've just said is that every single child who's parents smoked will smoke. Not that they have a better chance, but that they 100% always will.

It doesn't matter if smoking is bad for your health, that's why it's a fucking CHOICE and not something mandatory. The person who starts smoking after their parents did? Guess what! That was his/her choice.

You're making this so easy for me. All the answers to disprove what you are saying are right there on the internet. It's common knowledge. I took Health and Social care for 2 years, and passed the exam with an A. I know all about what smoking can do to a child.

ROFLMAO...this quote is so damn funny I honestly just had to sit here and laugh nonstop for a good 5 minutes. "I took a class, so I obviously know everything there is to know about the subject!". ROFLMAO. I took a driver's education class, guess that makes me qualified to race in NASCAR.

You don't know shit about what second hand smoke does to a child, and your posts have quite clearly proven that thus far. Again, ZERO HARD EVIDENCE linking second hand smoke to cancer or any other smoking-related illness. Christ the world's general population are so stupid it disgusts me, no one is willing to do research for themselves any more. They just see that some government agency or watchdog group said "Second hand smoke kills and stuff!" and immediately assume, "Hey! They said it, so obviously it must be true! Evidence? We don't need any of that crap!".

And I've given you plenty of evidence to show it does. Please, google it. People can DIE from seconf hand smoke. Face the facts and stop worrying about yourself and how you feel about not smoking.

What evidence have you shown? A quote from an anti-smoking organization? Yeah clearly an anti-smoking organization is the one to trust for all of your smoking information, there's obviously no bias of interest there right? That's no better then quoting a tobacco company. Anti-smoking campaigns = millions upon millions of dollars in government funding.

Please, PLEASE show me ONE case in which someone died from second hand smoke from cigarettes. One case. You won't. Because it's never fucking happened.

This debate is going around in circles. Passive smoking is real. It affects children every single day. If you can't accept that I don't understand how you can post in this debate.

Because that's what a debate is? You can't just say "This is true because I say so and know so, and I don't need to provide you a single shred of evidence to prove it cause duh it's just so obvious" and expect people to say "Oh okay, you're right! What a fun debate!". It doesn't work like that.

Firstly, what about your child? It's the question you're avoiding. What makes smoking so important to you it means more than your childs health?

Second Hand Smoke (for the billionth time) has never been linked to any smoking related illness in someone as a direct result. Never. N-E-V-E-R.

Secondly, it's something that distracts a driver at the wheel. They're taking their hands off of the wheel, as well as possibly being distracted. With your opinion that it's your car and you can do what you want, does that also mean you should be allowed to speak on the phone while driving?

Well then lets ban radios from cars as well! Doesn't a person use their hand to change the station? That's a distraction! Or maybe we should ban windows? Can't have people rolling them up and down all the time, that could be a distraction! And of course this means drinking any sort of liquid in a car is illegal now as well. Infact you're not allowed to even scratch your nose anymore. Don't all these things distract you from driving? What about people who blare their music, is that not a distraction? Ban music!

Do you see where this is going? The absurdity of this law is astounding. What if I were to come to your home after you've just gotten some sort of fast food and are sitting down to eat after a crappy day, and I took that food out of your hand, threw it out the window, and closed every fast food restaurant in the country. Because it's basically the same situation. It's none of the government's business what someone does in their own personal property if it doesn't break the law. This is no different then an anti-sodomy law, who the fuck is the government to tell it's people that they can't have anal sex? How is that relevant to public safety whatsoever? It isn't. Just like this law isn't.

If you support this law, then you damn well better support the laws to ban radios from cars, and the laws to ban campfires and grills. Because if you don't, you're a hypocrite.

People once had the right to smoke in their car. Now they don't. How again is that not taking away a right?

So you're for people being able to talk on a phone while driving as well? And hey, let's allow people to kill someone, because then we're not taking away a right!

I'm so fucking sick of this crap, if thats how you feel HBK_aholic, then you damn well better be ALL FOR banning camp fires and grilling, because both cause more second hand smoke to those around you then a fucking cigarette does.

If you read the thread you'll see I discussed this already.

The absolutely mind-numbingly miniscule amount of smoke that enters your lungs from second hand smoke off of a cigarette is astounding. You could sit in a room with someone who smoked 5 packs a day and not leave that room for 20 years, and you'd leave with absolutely no consequence to your health.

Please, evidence for this? Children who live with parents as smokers have higher levels on Carbon Monoxide in their body. That is PROVEN. Cigarette smoke has over 400 chemicals in it. How do you not expect that to harm a child?

And if you disagree with banning campfires and grilling in front of your children, then you're simply a hypocrite.

1 campfire, what? Once a year. 20 cigarettes a day. Furthermore, a campfire doesn't have all the chemicals a cigarette does.

How the fuck are they "poisoning" their child? THERE IS ABSOLUTELY ZERO HARD EVIDENCE WHAT SO EVER THAT PROVES SECOND HAND SMOKE CAUSES OR IS LINKED TO CANCER OR ANY OTHER SMOKING-RELATED ILLNESS. FUCKING ZERO.

Lawls. Well, I guess it's true they say ignorance is bliss.

bbcnews said:
Passive smoking kills more than 11,000 a year in the UK - much higher than previously thought, a study shows.
The British Medical Journal study also gives a figure for people dying from second-hand smoke in the workplace - 600 a year - for the first time.

Leading doctors said the findings proved a complete ban on smoking in public places was needed.

Researchers at University of Queensland in Australia compiled the report from UK databases of causes of death, employment, structure of households and levels of active smoking and exposure to passive smoking.

They found 2,700 deaths among people aged 20 to 64 could be attributed to second-hand smoke and 8,000 in 65-year-olds and over.

A further 617 deaths were caused by workplace passive smoking, including 54 in the hospitality industry.

And this was 3 Years ago. Who knows what the numbers are now. I'll wait for you to say this source is baised. Anything, yano, to make you look right whilst provding no evidence for anything you're saying. Nice try though.

What purpose does chocolate serve? None. Guess we should ban that as well, after all it's very fattening and bad for your body. What purpose do cigarettes serve? Enjoyment? Pleasure? Relaxation? The same exact purpose as the arts? Should we ban the arts as well? They after all serve no real purpose.

But they don't harm anyone else, which is my point. People should have the right to smoke, yes. But they shouldn't be allowed to smoke around children, especially young ones who haven't made their mind up about smoking. Do you really think it's fair to subject them to it?

I'm going to assume that you simply made a mistake in writing this sentence, because what you've just said is that every single child who's parents smoked will smoke. Not that they have a better chance, but that they 100% always will.

Yeah, I apologise, I wrote that wrong.

It doesn't matter if smoking is bad for your health, that's why it's a fucking CHOICE and not something mandatory. The person who starts smoking after their parents did? Guess what! That was his/her choice.

A child doesn't choose to breath in smoke second hand. What about that 2 year old in her car seat while the parents are busy smoking and not giving a shit what it does to their child.

ROFLMAO...this quote is so damn funny I honestly just had to sit here and laugh nonstop for a good 5 minutes. "I took a class, so I obviously know everything there is to know about the subject!". ROFLMAO. I took a driver's education class, guess that makes me qualified to race in NASCAR.

Yet I believe it'd cause me to know more than someone who hadn't. And I'd know the basics. Right? Just like you took a drivers ed lesson so you'd know more than me and know the basics, yeah?

You don't know shit about what second hand smoke does to a child, and your posts have quite clearly proven that thus far. Again, ZERO HARD EVIDENCE linking second hand smoke to cancer or any other smoking-related illness. Christ the world's general population are so stupid it disgusts me, no one is willing to do research for themselves any more. They just see that some government agency or watchdog group said "Second hand smoke kills and stuff!" and immediately assume, "Hey! They said it, so obviously it must be true! Evidence? We don't need any of that crap!".

Oh right. Yeah I'll just conduct my own experiment on it. Oh no wait, you won't listen to that either will you. Because you don't want to face it. And go on, where's the evidence for your claims? I've seen nothing from you at all that would suggest you're right. Unles swearing to get your point across makes you right.

What evidence have you shown? A quote from an anti-smoking organization? Yeah clearly an anti-smoking organization is the one to trust for all of your smoking information, there's obviously no bias of interest there right? That's no better then quoting a tobacco company. Anti-smoking campaigns = millions upon millions of dollars in government funding.

Why do you think people are against smoking? If it makes so much money why do you think they wanted it banned in public places? Why is it illegal? for the fun of it, right?

Please, PLEASE show me ONE case in which someone died from second hand smoke from cigarettes. One case. You won't. Because it's never fucking happened.

I've just shown you an article in which it says the number is in its thousands. But I'm sure you'll find a way to say it's biased, because as I said you just won't admit you're wrong.

Please, tell me what 'proof' you want.

Because that's what a debate is? You can't just say "This is true because I say so and know so, and I don't need to provide you a single shred of evidence to prove it cause duh it's just so obvious" and expect people to say "Oh okay, you're right! What a fun debate!". It doesn't work like that.

Funny how you say I have a lack of evidence, yet I haven't seen evidence for ONE thing you've claimed. And if he isn't going to accept passive smoking exists, I don't expect him to understand whyt his law was passed. Which was what that comment was directed at.

Second Hand Smoke (for the billionth time) has never been linked to any smoking related illness in someone as a direct result. Never. N-E-V-E-R.

Proof?

Well then lets ban radios from cars as well! Doesn't a person use their hand to change the station? That's a distraction! Or maybe we should ban windows? Can't have people rolling them up and down all the time, that could be a distraction! And of course this means drinking any sort of liquid in a car is illegal now as well. Infact you're not allowed to even scratch your nose anymore. Don't all these things distract you from driving? What about people who blare their music, is that not a distraction? Ban music!

Do you see where this is going? The absurdity of this law is astounding. What if I were to come to your home after you've just gotten some sort of fast food and are sitting down to eat after a crappy day, and I took that food out of your hand, threw it out the window, and closed every fast food restaurant in the country. Because it's basically the same situation. It's none of the government's business what someone does in their own personal property if it doesn't break the law. This is no different then an anti-sodomy law, who the fuck is the government to tell it's people that they can't have anal sex? How is that relevant to public safety whatsoever? It isn't. Just like this law isn't.

If you support this law, then you damn well better support the laws to ban radios from cars, and the laws to ban campfires and grills. Because if you don't, you're a hypocrite.

That was so hard to read due to how little sense it makes. Due to how little sense your entire post made. Do you believe people should be allowed to use mobile phones then?

My Mom used to smoke in her car and it was NASTY! It smelt terrible, and it ruined her car. That is one reason why I will NEVER smoke. And I think that that would be a great law. Because that way people underage won't second hand smoke. And that's the bottom line... 'Cuz Syxx-Pac said so!

It would be a lot easier if they just stopped manufacturing cigarrettes but due to the amount of £££ they bring in for the governments of the world plus all the people who smoke these days, that's not going to happen.

What is most aggravating to someone like me, a smoker, is why does the law suddenly give a shit? Why after more than a century is it suddenly so terrible to smoke in the vicinity of others? You can say, because we know the dangers of second hand smoke, well we've known the effects of first hand smoke for decades and still sell the fucking things so.....
Secondly, how the hell do they intend to enforce this law? The majority of people caught with personal possession of grass here in England don't even get prosecuted because the police can't be bothered with the paper work. If that's there attitude on illigal drugs, how are they going to stop motorists from smoking in their own cars? Are they going to chase people down the highways to pull them over for having a cigarette? If, a smoker pulls up alongside a cop car and they're smoking with a child in the back seat, they might say something but I highly doubt it. I've noticed a lot of police officers lately doing nothing when they're actaully in the vicinity of a potential and an ongoing crime.

I understand why they're doing this but, it's a law that should have been done decades ago. The new millenium comes across as having spawned the loss of a lot of basic freedoms and a lot of stupid rules imposed on the remaining freedoms. If they passed this rule here in England, i'd comply most of the time but wouldn't be happy about it

It would be a lot easier if they just stopped manufacturing cigarrettes but due to the amount of £££ they bring in for the governments of the world plus all the people who smoke these days, that's not going to happen.

The tax on cigarettes doesn't really make any money for the government. The cost of smoking related affects on the NHS is more the overall amount that the government gets from taxing them.

Personally I think smoking should of been made illegal years ago. So anything that makes life harder for smokers is a welcome to me. However it won't be enforced that well. Are doing to phone 999 ever single time we see someone smoking in the car? Don't the police have better things to do with their time?

The tax on cigarettes doesn't really make any money for the government. The cost of smoking related affects on the NHS is more the overall amount that the government gets from taxing them.

Personally I think smoking should of been made illegal years ago. So anything that makes life harder for smokers is a welcome to me. However it won't be enforced that well. Are doing to phone 999 ever single time we see someone smoking in the car? Don't the police have better things to do with their time?

A nice thought, however I can tell you now it will NEVER happen. Remember prohibition? When people tried to stop alcohol in America? More people smoke, imagine the effects it would have.

1. Millions of people protesting, complaining about their rights being infringed, complaining they can't live without cigarettes, complaining it's their choice. Which it is.

2. Millions of arrests. Can you imagine how many people would smuggle them back and make people pay hundreds for them? It's so easy now for people to go to France or spain and get them cheap. It wouldn't actually stop people smoking. The police should spend more time working on actual crimes.

A nice thought, however I can tell you now it will NEVER happen. Remember prohibition? When people tried to stop alcohol in America? More people smoke, imagine the effects it would have.

1. Millions of people protesting, complaining about their rights being infringed, complaining they can't live without cigarettes, complaining it's their choice. Which it is.

2. Millions of arrests. Can you imagine how many people would smuggle them back and make people pay hundreds for them? It's so easy now for people to go to France or spain and get them cheap. It wouldn't actually stop people smoking. The police should spend more time working on actual crimes.

I know that smoking or buying cigarettes will never be illegal in my life time. Has soon has the government found out that smoking is bad for you then they could of done something. Now there is no point if even trying.

Yeah, I would love for smoking to be illegal but it most likely won't happen, in my life time anyways. The goverment does make money from Cigarettes, thats why they sell them. They know if they didn't sell cigarettes then people would sell them illegally and then they would recieve none of the money. Also if they were to become illegal people would just protest it, claiming their rights are being taken away. Than others say the goverment should raise the price of smokes so that people couldn't afford them, but that again would just lead to more people selling them illegally. It would just be like weed, its illegal but millions of people still do it, with the goverment recieving no profit. I say let people smoke as long as its not affecting me or anyone else who doesn't.

So you're for people being able to talk on a phone while driving as well? And hey, let's allow people to kill someone, because then we're not taking away a right!

What you've just said is simply wrong. When again was murder legal in the UK or US? I must've missed that period of time. People never had the "right" to murder someone. But they did once have the right to smoke in their cars.

Cell phones while driving are only a problem if the person driving is a clueless idiot. The type of person who can't chew gum and walk at the same time. But of course, then there's the wild and crazy idea that people could just be responsible themselves and not answer their phones.

Besides, making talking on your cell phone while driving illegal is a pretty ineffective thing when you can't be pulled over by the police simply for talking on the phone. Same as you can't be pulled over simply for not wearing your seatbelt.

If you read the thread you'll see I discussed this already.

What, your argument that because people don't start campfires as often as they do smoke cigarettes that it should remain legal? You realize that campfires emit about 100 times as much carbon monoxide as a cigarette, right?

Please, evidence for this? Children who live with parents as smokers have higher levels on Carbon Monoxide in their body. That is PROVEN. Cigarette smoke has over 400 chemicals in it. How do you not expect that to harm a child?

Did I say that smoking does not emit carbon monoxide? No I did not. The amount of carbon monoxide that enters a person's lungs from second hand smoke is so incredibly miniscule, that it's just downright laughable to try and tell me that second hand smoke kills. Laughable.

1 campfire, what? Once a year. 20 cigarettes a day. Furthermore, a campfire doesn't have all the chemicals a cigarette does.

Oh I'm sorry, when did I miss the election that elected you the all knowing being of how many campfires someone lights per year and how many cigarettes they smoke per day? What's funny too here is that those 20 cigarettes still don't equal the carbon monoxide that a campfire does. You're missing the point though. Second hand smoke being illegal is just an idiotic thing. It's similiar to exterminating an entire animal species because 3 people die from it every year. You're causing more harm by stopping it then the harm it was causing to begin with. You're taking away people's rights.

Lawls. Well, I guess it's true they say ignorance is bliss.

You must be in Nirvana then. Because your BBC link is laughable.

Did you even look at how the British Medical Journal compiled that study? Because this is basically what that study did in a nutshell:

"That man died of lung cancer. In his fifty seven years on this planet, was he ever exposed to second hand smoke? Yes?! SECOND HAND SMOKE KILLED THIS MAN!".

That's how that study was done basically. The study proved no direct link between second hand smoke and those diseases. Try again.

And this was 3 Years ago. Who knows what the numbers are now. I'll wait for you to say this source is baised. Anything, yano, to make you look right whilst provding no evidence for anything you're saying. Nice try though.

What's more laughable here is that you assume that the media is not biased. Allow me to introduce you to the real world, the one in which EVERY MEDIA OUTLET is biased on some issue or topic. To argue it isn't is naive and rather pathetic. But no actually, I didn't attack the BBC's credibility, instead I calmly showed you how flawed of a study the BMJ did. See, I actually looked into the sources of an article instead of simply reading it and saying "OH MAN IT'S ON THE INTERNET SO IT MUST BE TRUE!".

And also, if you think about what you just said, those numbers would be down from 2005 because people are smoking less and less per year, not more and more.

But they don't harm anyone else, which is my point. People should have the right to smoke, yes. But they shouldn't be allowed to smoke around children, especially young ones who haven't made their mind up about smoking. Do you really think it's fair to subject them to it?

Yes, I do. Because it's something that a child needs to learn. You can't safeguard your children from every little miniscule danger, or raise them to think that they have the right to choose what the people around them do with their bodies. Because that's what this law does. Am I advocating for people to grab their kid and light up infront of them? Not at all. All I'm saying is that it's a person's right.

Because here's something you've failed to think about in regards to this issue: What about the majority of smokers (who don't have children)? Why should they not be allowed to smoke in their own car when it's harming nobody but themselves?

Wouldn't it simply have been easier to make smoking in your own car WHILE THERE ARE CHILDREN IN THE CAR illegal instead of just making smoking in your car all the time illegal? Would that not have made more sense? Can you not see the easily fixable problem with this law?

A child doesn't choose to breath in smoke second hand. What about that 2 year old in her car seat while the parents are busy smoking and not giving a shit what it does to their child.

Again, absolutely miniscule amount of nicotine being introduced to the child's system.

Minn., Calif. tests prove secondhand smoke not a health hazard
Associated Press

Air quality tests performed in Minnesota and California in smoke-filled bars and restaurants show that secondhand smoke may not be the major health hazard that some claim it is.

The Environmental Health Department in St. Louis Park, Minn., tested for trace levels of nicotine and found results between 1 and 33 micrograms of nicotine per cubic meter of air.

The California Environmental Protection Agency tested for trace levels of nicotine in outdoor smoking areas and found (PDF) results between 0.01 and 5 micrograms of nicotine per cubic meter of air.

Occupational Safety and Health Administration regulations specify a limit for nicotine in the air of 500 micrograms per cubic meter of air.

The California study went on to state that people who have only “brief encounters with [secondhand smoke] are likely to be exposed to less than 0.1 [micrograms per cubic meter of air]” over a 24-hour time-weighted average.

See how that article cites how the study was performed instead of just throwing numbers at you without backing them up? Crazy isn't it?

And that's the amount of nicotine introduced to your system in a BAR (where the most smoking of any place occurs) in an ENCLOSED AREA. Now imagine that in a car with all of the windows rolled down. The horror, the horror!

Yet I believe it'd cause me to know more than someone who hadn't. And I'd know the basics. Right? Just like you took a drivers ed lesson so you'd know more than me and know the basics, yeah?

But wouldn't someone who has actually driven a car before yet never taken a class on driving know more about driving them someone who just took a class and has never driven before? I took a class on 17th century British literature, does that make me automatically right as you apparently think your "anti-smoking class" has done for you? By the way, what school holds anti-smoking classes? Or was this just a nurse coming in for an hour and talking about how smoking is bad for you? Is that the comprehensive research you've done here? Come back and talk to me when you've gone through actual medical journals and done some studying for yourself.

Oh right. Yeah I'll just conduct my own experiment on it. Oh no wait, you won't listen to that either will you. Because you don't want to face it. And go on, where's the evidence for your claims? I've seen nothing from you at all that would suggest you're right. Unles swearing to get your point across makes you right.

Or you could have taken all of 60 seconds to actually look up the actual study that your article is based on and taken a look at how flawed of a study it is. My evidence I've provided to you above. So please, again, Miss I'm Sixteen So I Clearly Know Everything About the World, tell me again how second hand smoke kills.

Why do you think people are against smoking? If it makes so much money why do you think they wanted it banned in public places? Why is it illegal? for the fun of it, right?

Why are people against smoking? Because it kills. Never did I even slightly imply that I didn't think smoking kills. This topic however is not about smoking, but second-hand smoke. Completely different. No shit tobacco companies make money, they do sell a product do they not?

I've just shown you an article in which it says the number is in its thousands. But I'm sure you'll find a way to say it's biased, because as I said you just won't admit you're wrong.

Or I could just take about a minute of my time to actually look at the study myself and easily make you look foolish without even batting an eye.

Please, tell me what 'proof' you want.

Oh, I don't know, a direct link between second hand smoke and cancer? Something along those lines?

Funny how you say I have a lack of evidence, yet I haven't seen evidence for ONE thing you've claimed. And if he isn't going to accept passive smoking exists, I don't expect him to understand whyt his law was passed. Which was what that comment was directed at.

It was my first post. I've provided you evidence in this one. All you had to do was ask. Your "evidence" is shabby at best however.

Provided.

That was so hard to read due to how little sense it makes. Due to how little sense your entire post made. Do you believe people should be allowed to use mobile phones then?

I'm sorry, should I only use words with two syllables and keep my vocabulary at an elementary level? Would it be easier to understand then?

It's quite simple what I said. You argue that because smoking distracts a driver from driving, it's a reason for it to be illegal. I countered by saying that a radio distracts a driver from driving (more so then a cigarette), so would that not be a reason to make radios in car's illegal?

Do I need to say that again or did you understand me this time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back