Sleep.

The Rob

Telling me I'm invincible..
Okay, obviously sleep is important. It allows our bodies time to rest for a certain period of time. But how many of hours of sleep do you think you attain on an average night? For me personally, it really depends on what day it is. On the weekends I get fuck all, potentially 5/6 hours of sleep on both nights due to early starts at work and a late finish at the pub the night before. But on Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday and Friday, I could sleep for 10/11 hours easily on each occasion due to either no work/uni and or a late start.

So how many hours of sleep do you think you get on your average night?

I get about 5 to 6 hours on an average night. Which would be when I work and have class. On bad days, I get less than 3. not really a good way to go about your day. I do try to remedy with naps on occasion.

I always try for 6 hours. I work for a newspaper and the office never closes. I work whatever 8-hour shift they need me for, often having to do double shifts. After all that, it's very hard to come home and maintain a normal sleeping schedule. It's difficult to train your body to shut down at the desired time when you don't maintain regular working hours.

But even after a double, when I hit the pillow from exhaustion immediately after getting home, I set the alarm to keep sleep time to 6 hours. Otherwise, I'll sleep for 10-12 hours and really screw up my metabolism.

5 to six hours used to be fine for me in college and even when I began my teaching career. But hell, that was in my early 20's. I could even go out back then, get totally shitfaced and still be good to go after a 4-5 hour "nap."

Now, I average 6 1/2 to 7 hours. I'm not sure why, but there are just time when I am so exhausted that I'll fall asleep anywhere. I have long days. I get up at 5 am, start work at 6, end work at 2:30,, go to the gym at 4, get home from gym between 5:30-6, and am usually awake until 10:30-11:00.

On the weekends, I would love to sleep all day, but I just can't. My body just wakes up. I usually get 7-8 hours each day on the weekend.

I try to get 7 hours or more due to the fact that anything in the 4 to 6 hour range results in me being very cranky. I can get 3 hours or less and my body probably thinks its a power nap, as I don't wake up cranky from it but do from 4 to 6 hours. I need at least 7 on average to get a decent start to the day. I've gotten 9+ every now and then too, so it does likely average out to the 7 hours range. I get rather disoriented for a little bit if I sleep too much though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back