Silva vs. Belfort is now confirmed!!

Buffalo Dave

Yeeeeeeeah Buddy!!
MMAjunkie:

As it turns out, Vitor Belfort (19-8 MMA, 8-4 UFC) isn't injured. And, in fact, he's expected to meet UFC middleweight champ Anderson Silva (27-4 MMA, 12-0 UFC) early next year, possibly in the headliner of a UFC 125 event on Jan. 1 in Las Vegas.

Sources close to the event today confirmed the tentative plans with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

Belfort had been scheduled to fight Yushin Okami in the headliner of November's UFC 122 event before a recent card change.

Instead, as first reported by MMAWeekly.com, Okami now fights recent UFC Fight Night 22 winner Nate Marquardt. Although initially believed to be injured, Belfort is, in fact, healthy, according to a recent Twitter post from UFC president Dana White. Belfort now will bypass the No. 1 contender's bout at UFC 122 for an immediate title shot with Silva.

UFC 125 takes place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, and the night's main card airs on pay-per-view. The event currently needs a headliner, and Silva vs. Belfort certainly fits the bill.

Belfort, of course, takes a slot initially designated for Chael Sonnen (25-11-1 MMA, 4-4 UFC), who dominated Silva for more than four rounds at UFC 117 before succumbing to a triangle choke in the final two minutes of the fight. Sonnen had been promised an immediate rematch, but he failed his UFC 117 drug test, which he plans to appeal. The process could go well into 2011 before it's resolved.

Belfort had been promised an earlier promised title shot. However, when he was sidelined by a shoulder injury, Demian Maia and then Sonnen got shots at Silva's belt. Nevertheless, Belfort is riding a five-fight win streak, and in his most recent bout at UFC 103, he returned to the UFC for the first time in four years and scored a first-round knockout of Rich Franklin in a 195-pound catchweight bout.

Silva, meanwhile, moved to 12-0 in the organization and made his record seventh straight UFC title defense with the August win over Sonnen. He's now won 13 straight fights and 15 of his past 16 while dominating the elite of the middleweight division. All but two of the wins came via stoppage.

In the ever changing matchups in the Middleweight division, Belfort is back to getting a title shot. I much rather would've seen Vito fight Okami to determine the number one contender. It would've gave Silva a little more time to heal and give Belfort a Middleweight fight before a title shot, not saying he would've won against Okami but if he did then at least he fought actually at Middleweight instead of jumping into a title fight promised a title fight or not. Damn you Chael for fucking up!!

Matching up Marquardt and Okami makes sense then, even though I disagree giving Marquardt a title shot since it would only be his second win in a row if he beats Okami. He was given a gift in his last fight against Palhares for Palhares' stupidity. Yeah he's returning on a quick notice but its not like his fight went three rounds, the fight is still a month and half away. Nate should at least have to go through one more fight if he gets past Okami.

Thoughts??

So fucking stupid my fucking god. What in the blue hell has Belfort done to get a title shot? Beat Franklin at a catchweight? He hasn't even fucking fought at 185 in the UFC yet. Okami deserves this much more than him, and I thought the Belfort/Okami fight was perfect for the next contender. Now it's just bullshit. Belfort more than likely wouldn't have even got through Okami. Not to mention Belfort and his style, and mindset plays right into Silvas' gameplan. It makes absolutely no sense to me. Whatever at least we know someone is getting knocked the hell out and my money is on Belfort seeing stars.

I mean Vitor is a good striker with power, but seriously if he doesn't catch you in the opening round his heart fades. Add that to the fact of how elusive Silva is then Vitors chances go down even more. He has a strikers chance, but I wouldn't put money on it. It's not like Belfort is a dominating wrestler that Silva has to worry about being grinded out for five rounds. Seriously people are acting like Vitor is a god. I wouldn't be surprised if he has major trouble making weight. Not fighting at 185 in almost two years plus he had a shoulder injury I think he will have an extremely difficult time. One thing I am excited for is this is supposedly on the New Years card so we will have a good striking battle for a huge card.

Honestly, I really don't mind Vitor getting a title shot. Really, is he going to do any worse that Marquardt would do? Not to mention Nate has a single victory since losing to Sonnen. Okami has two wins and beating Nate would be his third in a row so it may be a little more warranted. The whole title scene at MW is honestly sketchy nowadays; guys can't string together enough wins to seem like big threats to Silva. Not to mention there is no clear cut rankings really there, they are all stylistic matchups. You can look at the top 10 guys at say LHW and the top 3 or so guys could definitely beat the rest of the top 10. You can't really say that for MW because of the clashing styles; Chael is ranked higher than Maia despite losing to him. There is just not spot-for-spot chain at MW like there is in other divisions, making it much harder to create contenders.

The only thing that bothers me about this matchup is the fact that I just don't see any way Vitor takes this. Everyone knows he has one round to finish his opponent or he fades very quickly. Is he really going to be able to catch Silva and finish him within five minutes? Doubt it. That means the next shot will likely go to Marquardt/Okami and I have very little doubt Anderson will tool Nate again. Okami though could present a very tough challenge for Silva and shall he get past Nate there is a good chance he cold be the next MW champion.

I don't see what the big deal is with vitor getting the shot at the title. If he beats Silva he beats silva he loses he loses. The winner of Nate and Okami can face the winner of the that fight.

Man this really grinds my gears. If i was Yushin Okami, i would be insulted, this is basically saying you know what Okami. Belfort has a better chance at taking Silva to the limit, which i beg to differ. I dont know what Vitor told Dana White to make him love Vitro so much. Seriously let's be realistic if the fight doesn't finish round one, Vitor is gone he will get gassed, not just that his biggest asset is his striking, and Anderson outstrikes any striker and that is fact. The only chance Vitor has is if he gets a lucky shot because he is very powerful i will give him that. But what are we expected to believe, a man who has had a one year hiatus from the UFC fought at catchweight a year ago, to come in and prove as a challenge to a man who is mowing through the middleweight division. Highly Unlikely.

I agree with Fizzy on this... this is pure bullshit.

The ONLY reason Vitor Belfort is getting a shot is because he has some name value. That's it, and that's an absolute bullshit reason to grant someone a title shot, and I'm disappointed the UFC would stoop so low. I know it's a business, but more importantly it's a SPORT, and in sports, you must be DESERVING to get a shot at a championship. And Vitor Belfort has absolutely done NOTHING to deserve a shot at the title. He hasn't fought since September 2009, and he has never fought at Middleweight in the UFC.

You have all that going for Vitor, and then you have Yushin Okami, who is 9-2 in the UFC, with those two losses being against Rich Franklin (a fight he should have won, honestly) and Chael Sonnen. He also has a DQ win over Anderson Silva. Someone please explain to me how the fuck Belfort gets a shot over him? It makes absolutely no sense.

The UFC should have stuck with their original plan and let Okami and Belfort fight each other, with the winner getting a shot at Anderson. I'm sure Anderson could have used the extra couple of months anyway (hell... Chael vs. Anderson was planned for the Super Bowl show, which would been more than enough time for the winner to prepare for a shot if neither got injured).

I'm also disappointed with this because I was heavily looking forward to Okami vs. Belfort and seeing Okami beat the shit out of Belfort. Now I have to settle with Okami vs. Marquardt, which is nowhere near as intriguing since Marquardt is boring as shit to watch. Hopefully Okami just makes quick work of him, and then gets Anderson after Anderson DESTROYS Vitor Belfort.

Truthfully now that I think about it there is absolutely no way Vitor wins this fight. People talk about how fast he is and blah blah blah, but for fucks sake he blitzes you, and if you don't fall down within the first blitz it's over. Vitor quits. Not to mention that Vitors blitzing style falls right into Andersons trap. Best counter striker in MMA fighting someone who goes balls out in one solid attempt to KO you? Not a smart idea. Vitor better wing fucking punches and hope he connects to Silvas temple. It's not like Vitor will wrestle fuck Silva to a decision. Not to mention the year lay off and jumping into fighting Anderson fucking Silva. God that pisses me off.

I cannot begin to comprehend my hate for this decision. Is Vitro Belfort expecting a cakewalk, he is walking into a fight with Anderson Silva, Belfort's main attribute is his striking, and he is going up against the most versatile and dangerous striker in this current time. Where is the logic in this decision. Seriously this blows.

So, does that mean the Marquardt Okami match is a number 1 contender fight?
Can Vitor even make weight? I agree with you all, he has not done anything to really deserve a fight,this is just a money making fight.
Cannot complain otherwise, it will not be a boring fight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back