• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Should wrestlers have a say in their gimmick?

WweBreezybre

Occasional Pre-Show
I think wrestlers should have a say to their gimmick.Its gonna be a part of who you are.You should have some kind of control over it.Im not talking complete control just cut a little back on the promos and let wrestlers have fun wit their character. A happy worker is a bizzy worker.If wrestlers had more control over their gimmick they wouldn't jump ship so offten.Thought?

It depends on the reasoning for them not liking the gimmick, if they are unhappy with it because they are uncomfortable with the gimmick due to it going against their beliefs in some way then of course they should have a say in the gimmick that they are given but if its just because they feel they'd be better used than say dancing around the ring like a dumbass or don't feel that they should be doing a gimmick that makes them put over someone else then screw that, once the creative team breaks down to simple requests like that then we could lose all reason in the booking... well what little reason there still is. A wrestler will never truly get anywhere if they are always catered to regardless of their desires. Look what happened to guys like Hulk Hogan, they never made this guy do anything he didn't want to and he helped cause the downfall of one of the biggest wrestling companies that have ever existed and he still pulls his backstage politics to this day. We have seen the horrors that come with giving wrestlers control of their own gimmicks, WCW was full of top guys like Hogan and nothing productive ever got done. It would be like having a dozen John Cenas on a roster.

I think if a Superstar is very uncomfortable in the gimmick they've been given or are being pushed towards then they should have some say... but unless you're a top, top guy - no.

My 'top guys' would be Taker, Triple H, Orton, Cena and Mysterio. These are your current merchandise guys and the first four have a lot of pull backstage if you read the dirt sheets, etc. Other than these guys and Jericho + Edge, I don't see a reason why.

You're kind of stupid aren't you?

I think wrestlers should have a say to their gimmick.

A lot of them do. I am positive most of the veterans and a few of the newer guys have had says in the direction of their gimmick/character. They have had that say for years. However wrestlers having say in their characters/gimmicks really came to light during the Attitude Era and the Monday Night Wars.

Its gonna be a part of who you are.You should have some kind of control over it.

Again they do have some control over it. Vince isn't some tyrant who makes you stick with a gimmick you absolutely hate. Have you read Mick Foley's first book? You should, perfect example of wrestler's having some control over their gimmick. At first Mick Foley hated the Mankind gimmick, but Vince listened to his suggestions and actually took Mick's advice. So yeah...

Im not talking complete control just cut a little back on the promos and let wrestlers have fun wit their character.

Ummm, most of the wrestlers do have fun with their characters. Do you think Chris Jericho is really miserable? Do you think Edge doesn't think it's fun to bounce around, smack himself, psych himself up and act crazy? Do you think The Miz doesn't enjoy do the "I'm Awesome" spiel? Come on dude, obviously they have fun with their characters, or some of them just wouldn't do it.

A happy worker is a bizzy worker.

Yeah you are an idiot.

If wrestlers had more control over their gimmick they wouldn't jump ship so offten.

Really who has jumped ship? Most of the people now going to TNA or ROH, did not leave on their own accord or jump ship as you said, they were let go by the WWE. So yeah that argument is pretty much blown to shit.

My 'thought' is, really think about what you are going to post, before you post it, because really you come off as stupid.

wow Matt Fox, you are the stupid one. all you had to do is say duh they all do. but you broke down almost every line of the post and either explained it or ridiculed it. thats stupid, must mean you have no life outside of forums.

but yea they do have says. im sure MIZ pretty much writes it all himself. His is the best gimmick probably going so far anywhere in the world. Percy Watson has a pretty cool catchy gimmick too im sure he reflects of his own lifestyle.

I thought they did have a say in their character? I mean where the character goes is all up to Creative,but I'm pretty sure they encourage people to put their own spin on their gimmick/create their own. I'm pretty sure Vince wouldn't force you to go out there doing something you don't like. I know he gets demonized alot,but you gotta remember he's running an empire,sometimes his decisions aren't very popular,but you gotta believe deep down he's still a good natured human being.

I think a wrestler should absolutely have a say in their gimmick. If someone goes through the independent scene or even FCW perfecting a gimmick they'd like to use in WWE, or if they're passionate about cementing their legacy in a very specific way, I think they should be given the option of submitting whatever gimmick they want for approval, unless the company has a specific reason to give them a specific gimmick. Of course, if it's stupid, or it isn't good for the business, it should then get rejected.

We have seen the horrors that come with giving wrestlers control of their own gimmicks, WCW was full of top guys like Hogan and nothing productive ever got done. It would be like having a dozen John Cenas on a roster.
I agree partially. Mostly with Hogan, the problem wasn't necessarily wrestlers choosing their own gimmicks, but choosing how they were booked. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't someone other than Hogan suggest his heel turn and new nWo gimmick? But it was made abundantly clear that Hogan used his creative control to cause stupid, crippling things to happen, making everyone but himself look good.

wow Matt Fox, you are the stupid one. all you had to do is say duh they all do. but you broke down almost every line of the post and either explained it or ridiculed it. thats stupid, must mean you have no life outside of forums.

but yea they do have says. im sure MIZ pretty much writes it all himself. His is the best gimmick probably going so far anywhere in the world. Percy Watson has a pretty cool catchy gimmick too im sure he reflects of his own lifestyle.

No, Because just saying "Duh" would be spamming, and that is bad. What Matt did was the full breakdown. You'll see that alot here if you look around.

But anyway, no i highly doubt Miz writes ALL his stuff. He probably sits down with the writers, and they come up with ideas, and put everything together. Whoever came up with the idea for the Promo he cut at SummerSlam should get a raise, one of the highlights of the show. As for Percy?.. Well.. It's okay for NXT, but don't expect it to get him far on the main roster.

Yes of course almost everyone has a say in their character. But only as much as Vince will allow, and that's not because he is a tyrant, but because in the end, no one knows better then McMahon.

Ummm first off I dont remember asking DO wrestlers have a say in their gimmick Mr.Matt fox. I said should they have a say that means do you think they should?Instead of answering you deciding to get some kind of thrill off attacking me.Do you feel smart?

Ummm first off I dont remember asking DO wrestlers have a say in their gimmick Mr.Matt fox. I said should they have a say that means do you think they should?Instead of answering you deciding to get some kind of thrill off attacking me.Do you feel smart?

No you didn't ask 'DO' as you said, and you didn't even say 'should they' either. You actually said 'I think wrestlers should have a say to their gimmick', which implies that you do not think they have a say in their gimmick. So I merely pointed out the fact that your implication was wrong and that they do have a say in their gimmick.

Again I did answer your post, and I did not attack you, I simply pointed out the blatantly obvious, which is you are kind of stupid. You need to understand that posters on this forum will break down posts like I did, it's a common occurrence. They will also not hesitate to call you out on a stupid post, like I did, get used to it.

So back to the topic at hand and to answer your questions in this specific post, because you seemed to think I didn't already give my opinion. YES wrestlers should have a say in their gimmicks and if you were smart, you would realize that they already do, so your topic was a moot point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back