Should UFC and WEC merge?

Dressler

Occasional Pre-Show
We all know the story, but for those who don't here's the scoop;

WEC (World Extreme Cagefighting) began in 2001 as a rival to the UFC. It also had divisions the UFC did not have, such as the Super Heavyweights. The company was then purchased by ZUFFA in 2006, the company that also happens to own the UFC. It was then fixed up a bit to Show Case the lighter division of MMA, with its three divisions, Lightweight (155Ib), and two divisions the UFC does not showcase (For the WEC to have), the Featherweight (145Ib) and Bantamweight (135Ib).

In these divisions are some of the best fighters in the world, such as Urijah Faber(Featherweight), José Aldo(Featherweight Champ) and Dominick Cruz(Bantamweight), and many more fighters. Although its Lightweight division is far below that of the UFC.

Under tutelage of the UFC the WEC is succeeding as the sister company to the UFC, with its own TV Deal with Versus were it showcased its events for a while until recently starting to put out PPV with the first show being Aldo vs Faber.

The WEC is considering also adding a Flyweight division (125IB) to its already "Smaller more Exciting" Fighters line up. Many believe the WEC is perfect because it lets the UFC not get Overextended with talent that they couldn't showcase on every PPV. However the general feeling is the WEC will eventually have to merge with the UFC.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now as for my questions;

1.) Should the WEC and UFC merge in the near future?
2.) If so, what are the upsides/downsides to it?
3.) If not, why not?
4.) How long do you think the WEC can last without joining the UFC?

To answer my own question, I think the WEC, with backing from the UFC can stay independent for the next 2-3 years and be a great company for the smaller fighters. I don't see them merging in the near future either because I think now that WEC is starting to do PPV's ZUFFA might want to see how well they can sell a WEC PPV.

The upsides are easy, more money and marketing for the ever expanding UFC and you'd have most of the best Pound-for-Pound and most exciting fighters all under one roof, that being the UFC.

As I previously mention I think the WEC will join the UFC but only in 2-3 maybe even longer at 5-6 years.

So what are your thoughts?

They should stay where they are. Since UFC doesn't have that many divisions, WEC is pretty much perfect if you want to see some good matches (Korean zombie, anyone?) Right now, they're doing good as the sister company of UFC. Their ppv did better than expected, and they got exiciting fighters.

But, as you said, WILL there be a merge? Maybe. I bet that at some point, Zuffa will go up and merge them. And Dana will claim that UFC carries the best fighters on every division, and he'll be able to back it up.

Of course, it's got to come at a point where it's all but inevitable. And it will happen. Zuffa won't hesitate in merging the companies. The cool part about it is, in theory, we'll be able to watch at least 1 fight of every weight class in a main card/undercard, which just adds to the excitement.

But who's to say they don't merge at all? Zuffa will perhaps think that both companies are better off by themselves, and individually, gather its parent company revenue due to its deals. Sometimes, it's smart to keep two companies separate rather than merging it. It's all a matter of wait and see. But, it would be interesting to see the WEC/UFC merge happen.

But who's to say they don't merge at all? Zuffa will perhaps think that both companies are better off by themselves, and individually, gather its parent company revenue due to its deals. Sometimes, it's smart to keep two companies separate rather than merging it. It's all a matter of wait and see. But, it would be interesting to see the WEC/UFC merge happen.

The individual success is the only thing I can see as a potential block off for ZUFFA to not merge the two companies. Right now, you can sell Two PPV's with different fighters, make money because guys who watch UFC will pay for the WEC PPV as well. I'm not saying WEC will make as much PPV buys as the UFC is, but it'll make you more income, especially if, with the help of the UFC, the WEC becomes more known and more watched. Like I said, people who buy UFC PPV's will begin to buy WEC PPV's as well just based on A) Its MMA, and B) The UFC says its good, lets check it out.

So I think the only thing that could stop ZUFFA from eventually merging is the revenue it'll make with two different brands.

This is one subject that I always go back and forth on.

There are a lot of advantages and disadvantages to each side.

1.) It becomes easier to fill cards.

The UFC has 5 divisions. However, between injuries and guys who may not deserve to be on main cards, then sometimes you get filler fights on cards, such as Ben Rothwell vs. Gilbert Yvel at UFC 115. That card, despite that fight, was a contender for card of the year. Imagine if they stuck a meaningful Bantamweight fight on that card. That would have made it pretty damn entertaining.

2.) The WEC rarely puts on bad fights.

The WEC card alone by itself was a contender for card of the year, because of the amazing fight between Chan Sung Jung and Leonard Garcia, and that every fight was a damn entertaining watch. It's a very easy selling point to throw a fight between two featherweights who are fighting for #1 contendership on a weaker card.

3.) The WEC Fighters will get paid more.

An established fighter like Urijah Faber made only a reported $28,000 for his fight against Featherweight Champion Jose Aldo. Aldo made $40,000 and that included a $20,000 win bonus. Of course, they get more on top of that in unreported "locker room bonuses", but still, these are two of the top fighters in the world and they should be getting paid accordingly.

4.) Promoting Jose Aldo and Ben Henderson

Jose Aldo is a Top 3 Pound for Pound fighter. Despite this, most casual fans have no idea who he is. He's one of the most exciting fighters in the world, as well as one of the best, and if he was in the UFC and had proper promotion, he'd be a huge draw. Same thing with WEC Lightweight Champion Ben Henderson. He's a tremendous fighter, and I think he's better than most of the lightweights in the UFC alone. I'd put him below Edgar, Penn, Florian, and Maynard. I think he could beat anyone else in the UFC Lightweight Division, and he needs to be promoted as one of the top Lightweights in the world.

Disadvantages:

1.) Less chances for other fighters to break out.

Sure, you won't get your filler fights. But guys like Phil Davis and Gerald Harris will have a hard time finding spots on main cards when they're still trying to make a name for themselves. Which leads to...

2.) Too much clutter

A typical UFC card is 11 fights. Are you going to be able to represent seven (and possibly eight if they include a Flyweight Division) weight classes on an 11 fight card and be able to distribute it fairly where each division has an equal amount of exposure?

3.) Fighters grasping for fights

The WEC holds a card every two months. They fit in 9-11 fights on one night between their three weight classes. Every fighter starts somewhere on the prelims, and there wouldn't be enough time to find a place for Bantamweight up and comers on the prelims. It might even be difficult to find a place for established Bantamweight fighters on the prelims. This also cuts into to up and comers in other weight classes trying to find a place to fight.

4.) Disgruntled fighters

When you're trying to fit 7-8 weight classes into one fight card, fighters may be upset where they're not fighting as often they feel they should be. They may try to get out of their contracts and go fight for other promotions, where they'll be welcomed with arms wide open. Eleven to twelve fights is a good amount of fights for each card. Any more than that, and the live audience may be drained by the time the main events roll around.

I want to see the WEC and UFC merge with each other. I think the fighters in the WEC deserve their fair shot at exposure and the money that comes along with it. I just don't think it's particularly feasible right now to make that happen. The WEC has their TV deal with Versus, which they're very fortunate to have. The UFC needs to start promoting the WEC more though, so these fighters can go on their way to having the exposure and money they deserve, followed by the PPVs once or twice a year, where you feature nothing but the best talent the company has to offer. It's a two way street where the current system can stay how it is as long as more time and attention is given to the WEC.

No, they do not need to merge. There's no good reason for these two to merge. Sustainability has been WEC's benchmark. They did it without Zuffa and they're presently doing it WITH Zuffa. Additionally, WEC has Versus on lock. That allows you to make significant revenue off the Versus network without needed to clutter the UFC on Versus when they already have Fight Night, PPV, TUF, and TUF Finale.

Additionally, having WEC as a stand alone allows them to develop fighters in other weight classes without having to sacrifice their bigger names on UFC PPV. Can you imagine how many PPV's they'd have to hold per year to accommodate all of those fighters? It would be fucking absurd. Law and Order would be on TV less times a month.

There's no point in merging when you own both companies. That's like saying that because Coca Cola owns Sprite they should mix the two. Why? They both sell fine on their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back