Should the NXT titles be defended at Wrestlemania?

FromTheSouth

You don't want it with me.
I'm torn here.

This is a weak card and introducing Bayley and Finn to the WWE audience would work really well this year. Instead of Dolph Ziggler in a pointless match (which would be well worked and technically pleasing, as all of his matches are), why not put Finn vs. Joe/Zayn on Wrestlemania? Why not have Bayley defend Asuka? Dash and Dawson don't necessarily have to defend the tag title, but the top two belts? Why not?

On the other hand...if you're going to bring up NXT talent the night after on Raw, introducing Bayley and Finn would take the luster off of that event.

While I'm sure we'll see an NXT title match on a main roster event someday, I think it's too soon for such a thing. The thing about NXT is that while many agree that it's an overall stronger product, it's also the developmental territory and one reason why it's been able to flourish is because it's funded by WWE. Without Vince's deep pockets, NXT wouldn't have been able to attract many of the top talents on its roster.

Also, while this might be seen as splitting hairs, I think WrestleMania should be for wrestlers who've earned their spots on the main roster. That's not some sort of veiled insult at NXT by any means, WrestleMania is the one day of the year in which some of the main roster talents gets to be part of something even remotely relevant. There aren't a whole lot of crossovers between the main and NXT rosters and, on the whole, I feel that's a good thing because I don't have a lot of faith in Vince's stability in making creative decisions where NXT is concerned. Anything to do with the main roster, Vince makes the final call, even if it'd be matches between NXT talents, it'd still be on the main roster and I'm of the opinion that Vince's ego is too big to allow even the possibility of NXT talents outshining main roster talent on a main roster card, especially at the biggest show of the year.

As for the card being weak, I have to disagree as a whole. While I'm not wild about Roman Reigns being in the main event at WrestleMania for the 2nd year in a row, as I just don't think he has main event level ability, I've little doubt his match with Triple H will be highly entertaining. People had low expectations, me included, for Lesnar vs. Reigns last year and it blew most people away. Speaking of Lesnar, his bout with Ambrose already has me far more intrigued in one night than the build for Lesnar vs. Reigns had the entire length of WrestleMania season. As for Taker vs. Shane, this will really seem like the first time there's a real reason for Taker to have a WrestleMania match since the streak ended. It's still early, I will admit, and this whole thing could go off the rails, but I have high hopes for this match. I mean...well, it just seems like every single year there are proclamations about the WrestleMania card being weak and, for the last few years especially, it's definitely delivered.

I think it would be great for the preshow. Give NXT some exposure while not taking away time from the main roster storylines that will continue after Mania. It won't need to get a reaction or anything on the preshow. I'm not wild on anything pure NXT being on the main show, especially for Mania. But the preshow for mania means it doesn't need to be anything special.

I think the Mania card will be very strong on its own.

With NXT having their own event before Mania, I don't think this will happen at all.

Probably one day though.

Aren't the NXT titles going to be defended at Takeover Dallas the same week as Mania happens? If they are then it's too close together. As JH said, Mania itself should be for wrestlers who have spent the balance of their time on the main roster. Sort of a chance to show off, and let's face it that's who fans will be spending the money on seeing.

Keeping that in mind though with all the injuries this year, and a severe shortage of talent involved in any actual storylines, it might have been a good call to put Bayley and Balor on the Wrestlemania card. Assuming one year we might see it, but doubtful it will be this year.

Potentially.

I like the idea of seeing Balor's entrance in front of 100,000 people. And even more than that, I really like the idea of seeing Balor go up to the main ranks of the WWE. I reckon that he definitely deserves that, having been a great NXT Champion thus far. Give this guy the right opponent and he could potentially make it all worthwhile. There is a thread about him taking on Bray Wyatt and that is certainly something I would like to see on a once only basis. But the time needs to be right for Balor.

The NXT Women's Championship, I am a little less sure about. Bayley is a great champion too but the WWE has plenty of good Divas to fill up the WrestleMania card and I'm not sure I'd like to see another. Bayley isn't as ready as Balor to go up to the big show but she will definitely get there.

At the end of the day, I'd definitely like to see Finn on the WrestleMania card because he deserves it. He doesn't need to defend the Championship but it could be a nice moment for everyone involved. Let's hope so. But I really doubt it.

It's a great idea in hindsight, but NXT runs a separate event on WM weekend which will undoubtedly be headlined by Balor and Bayley. It'd be nice to see a run-in of some kind with Balor and Bullet Club involved or something, but I don't think they'll be defending any NXT belts at Wrestlemania.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back