• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Should The Gold Rush Tournament be brought back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterShakeIz4Real

Occasional Pre-Show
MODERATOR COMMENTS (Lord Sidious)

I'm noticing quite a bit of arguments with this topic in the context of "WWE should do this to combat TNA" and "WWE doesn't need to do this to combat TNA" (which have been deleted). I don't think this was the intention of the thread. When making your arguments, let's just discuss whether or not the Gold Rush Tourney is a good idea or not, without TNA even coming into the equation as a factor.

Did you like the Gold Rush Tourney when it happened? Why or Why not? Should it be brought back? Why or Why not?

Thank you.

Anyway, right after Batista beat Triple H at Backlash 05, Eric Bischoff started a tournament called "The Gold Rush" Tournament, and basically, it was a tournament to name a number 1 contender to Batista's World Title. The participants and matches were-

Kane VS Christian
Shelton Benjamin VS HBK ---- Kane VS Benoit
Y2J VS Edge---------------- Edge VS HBK------Kane VS Edge
Benoit VS Triple H
-----------------
First off, the match between Michaels and Benjamin was probably the second greatest match I had seen that year ((This is the one where HBK Kicked Shelton's face off after he springboarded if you dont remember)). The other matches were okay too, but eventually it ended up as Edge VS KAne, which Edge won after Lita turned on KAne. Now, idc about edge and kane's feud BUT, him winning that tournament and challenging Batista for the belt, made him look like a threat to the belt.

Edge lost after a FAIRLY good match (its Batista, come on, he's lucky to have a fairly bad match) and still had his MITB case, so everyone knew he would eventually be in a title match again.

Mainly, I'm askin' if you 1: Remember this. 2: Did you enjoy it? 3: Do you think this should be like, a yearly thing or somethin'? You could push quite a few mid-carders with a tournament like this; one man's opinion.:shrug:

They already have the MITB at Wrestlemania for midcarders to get a push so I don't know whether the Gold Rush tournament will be a good idea. If they do decide to bring it back, what they should do is have it with superstars from all three brands and the winner would face the respective champion at Summerslam. It would be a good way to build midcard feuds because you don't see many of them nowadays so I can see the good in it more than the bad.

No.

This is what I think has killed the company for the last 6-7 years. All of the major storylines are based off of some qualifying match. There's never any match for the sake of a feud or hatred. The match is announced and then the angle is written. As far as the world title goes, everything starts with something like a battle royal or a beat the clock challenge or a tournament or whatever. It's just stupid anymore and makes wrestling seem like personable, which sucks the life out of it for me.

i do remember this, and HBK kicking Shelton's teeth down his throat. As for it being brought back i dont think so. I like tournaments, but if they were gonna do another tourny i would like to see the return of king of the ring.

There have been so many different types of tournaments as of late. They have all been decent too, but I think it's time for another King of the Ring. Make it an annual thing again. Someone could use that kind of push every year IMO.

I agree.

The King of the Ring should still be a PPV every year.

It was basically the 5th of the main 4 PPV's at one point.

I don't think so. Tournaments usually bring out matches between two guys that should be feuding (Triple H/John Cena) and in most cases, they're very predictable.

The Gold Rush tournament isn't any different than any other number one contendot tournament so if they wanted to do a tournament then sure it would be a good idea. But I don't think they need it. Saying you were the winner of the Gold Rush tournament doesn't have any long term prestige unless done more than ones. So it depends on the intent of the tournament and how much they really wanna have one. But they don't need it.

I think they're just fine with the Breakthrough Battle Royal, since they don't have enough talent vying for the title to justify a proper tournament. the Battle Royal leaves room for no-name talents to appear and flesh out the match, whereas a tournament that includes a match like Slam-Master J vs John Morrison could never be taken seriously.
I think this could work if they had more main event level talent, but for now we're fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back