• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Should Referees Be Inducted Into The HOF?

asiatic7

The Doctor Of Veganomics!!!
The WWE HOF is probably one of the most controversial HOF's ever created. Depending on who you ask, the HOF is full of undeserving talent, undeserving c-list celebrities and non-athletes. People cite Ko Ko B. Ware, Drew Carey among others as to why the HOF is a "Work", "Bull$#!t!, and why "It can't be taken seriously."

I see it a little different. I think everyone in the HOF deserved their spot. The HOF isn't about who drew the most money. It isn't about who drew the most crowds and sold out arenas. The HOF isn't about who won the most titles, kissed the most ass, who got Vince's coffee in the morning,No!

The HOF is about memories and the people who created them. For better or worse, everyone in the HOF created some worthwhile memories.

That brings me to this... Do you guys think that referees should be enshrined in the HOF. There have been lots of famous and infamous moments in wrestling regarding referees. They have been part of some of, if not, ALL of the most important matches in the history of wrestling. Whether it involved a wrestler living out his "boyhood dream", "The slam heard 'round the world" or a wrestler just getting a plain ol' "screw job". It's always been a ref to count a wrestlers shoulders to the mat and create another moment in history...

If I had my say-so, these famous/infamous refs would go into the HOF...

1. Tim White: Tim started as a ref in the 80's for WWE and remained loyal to the company until he retired in 2005. He was involved in a lot of high profile matches, one in particular is the Hell in the Cell in 2002 which he said ruined his career. He tried to commit suicide a few times and failed miserably each time (storyline).

2. Mike Chioda: I've heard a fan at an MSG house show refer to Chioda as "The Heart and Soul of the ring". Famous for his unconventional "TWO" count, where he hold up his index finger and pinky finger the signify that there was only a "two" count. After Earl Hebner became ill, Chioda stepped up as the go-to ref for main events in WWE. He main evented WM14, the match between HBK and Austin. That puts him in the middle of the Attitude Era. He also refereed another high profile match, WM18, Rock vs. Hogan.
Chioda also had the bad fortune of being in the ring when it collapsed under Brock Lesnar and Big Shows weight!

3. Earl and Dave Hebner: These twin brothers found acclaim in the 1988 "screwjob" involving Hulk Hogan, Ted DiBiase and Andre The Giant, when DiBiase paid off Dave Hebner to screw Hogan out of the title. When Earl finally arrived to the ring it caused a storm of controversy and left Hogan confused. Dave also refereed the IC match between Steamboat and Savage.
Earl, of course is now notable for pulling the trigger in the now famous "Montreal Screw Job". He still remains one of the most recognized referees in the history of wrestling.

4. Joey Marella: Although not that well known, he refereed some key matches including: Hogan vs. Andre at WMIII and Bret vs. Davey Boy at Summerslam 92'. Joey died in a car accident at the very young age of 30 in 1994. He was the son of HOF'er Gorilla Monsoon.

5. Jim Korderas: Jim had the unfortunate luck of being in the ring when Owen Hart died. Korderas was also the only referee to continue working matches after the referees went on strike for taking too much abuse in the ring. He was assaulted by his fellow colleagues for his actions. IMO one of the most underrated story lines of the Attitude Era!

6.Danny Davis: Before there was a Nick Patrick, there was a Danny Davis. Davis was blatantly biased towards heel wrestlers. He would usually turn a blind eye to heelish tactics and fustrate Babyface wrestlers. He was fired by WWF president Jack Tunney and emerged as a wrestler to a less than stellar run. He received another chance at being a ref, but under a probation.

7. Nick Patrick: Nick would do as Danny Davis, disregard the fact that heel wrestlers were cheating to win. Suspected of being in the NWO and even wrestling under a ski mask during NWO matches on WCW Saturday Night. Nick Patrick was controversial in every sense of the word.

There are more attributes that can be attached to the above said referees, but I used just a few to state my previous claim: That referees should go into the HOF. They are apart of history making moments.

What do you guys think about this?

I never really thought about it, and I'd be all for putting Earl Hebner in the HoF before he got fired for selling shit off the books... other than that, I wouldn't mind putting in somebody like Mike Chioda, but not anytime soon. I'm talking years and years from now.

I'd say Earl Hebner is worthy. However, the WWE Hall Of Fame is a show and ultimately nobody is really going to care about their induction.

At least somebody like Drew Carey got a reaction, even if it was negative. You'd have to have a referee inducted by a wrestling mega star and they would have to cut the best acceptance speech of all time for people to react.

I'd say Earl Hebner is worthy.

Brad Armstrong is going to get into the Hall of Fame before they'd even consider Hebner. Earl was fired from the company in disgrace and, honestly, other than being in the Screwjob, he's not that good or memorable a referee. Charles Robinson is much much more deserving of praise.

Brad Armstrong is going to get into the Hall of Fame before they'd even consider Hebner. Earl was fired from the company in disgrace and, honestly, other than being in the Screwjob, he's not that good or memorable a referee. Charles Robinson is much much more deserving of praise.

I think if you were to ask someone to name one professional referee from any sport or sports entertainment, Earl Hebner would be the name given by most of the people that are able to produce one.

Sure we can put Earl into the Hall of Fame, even if it has an asterisk beside it because Earl has been involved in some pretty big moments in WWE, both inside the ring or as an extra in a backstage segment.

If we're throwing Drew Carey, Mike Tyson, William Perry & Koko B. Ware, surely there's a little dark spot in the corner for Earl.

Will it ever happen, who knows? Should it happen? An argument could be made, sure. Iff it does, it's Earl Hebner that should go in first.

Tommy Young. He was the face of wrestling on TBS & Jim Crockett Promotions through out the 80s. Animated in his movements, athletic enough to fly across the ring to make that defining 3 count after a big "ref bump". In many ways he was as over as the wrestlers, always earning strong cheers for the way he stood up to rulebreakers during matches.

He also reffed some of the biggest matches of the time, all three bouts in the "Trilogy" between Flair & Steamboat, Flair's Starrcade 87 title win, & the $100,000 vs TV Title match between Tully Blanchard and Dusty Rhodes.

If there was one guy as a ref Id put in the HOF it would be Tommy Young. Ironically all that in ring action caused him chronic back problems leading to his leaving the pro wrestling ranks after 1989.

YES! YES! YES!

If not Hebner's for the 1st inductee, Jimmy Korderas! These are the most important and recognizable referee's IMO.

Chioda is next but I have always thought he was an awful actor and a distracting referee.

Dude nobody watches wrestling for the referees. Hell why don't we induct cameramen, the lady who takes tickets, or the guy who sells hotdogs too? Yes a few refs like Earl Hebner have been a big part of a major storyline or two but in the grand scheme of things most fans really don't care.

i'd never really thought of having referee's in the HoF - however, i think the first that could make it would be Teddy Long (but i think they'd possibly overlook his referee stint)

Other than that, the Hebners i would almost 100% say 'no' to - because of their firing/way they left the company.

Nick Patrick, possibly, if they ever did induct a referee. But like the point a previous poster made.. i cant imagine a loud pop for a ref. I guess they are the quiet unsung hero's of the ring.

Dude nobody watches wrestling for the referees. Hell why don't we induct cameramen, the lady who takes tickets, or the guy who sells hotdogs too? Yes a few refs like Earl Hebner have been a big part of a major storyline or two but in the grand scheme of things most fans really don't care.

Excuse me for thinking outside of the box... it was a theoretical question. Why induct ring announcers (Howard Finkel), Promoters (Verne Gagne),and Commentators (Jim Ross)? Because everyone involved is all apart of the show and make it what it is and there have been some memorable referees in the history of wrestling. The IBHOF honors their referees (Arthur Mercante) with HOF inductions, so why not?

People who really appreciate wrestling care and it's obvious that you don't. If it wasn't for the referees working with the wrestlers in the ring, there wouldn't be a wrestling match to watch. They're the ones who inform the wrestlers when to finish the match, they pass on information that they receive via earpiece to the wrestlers during a match if a change is about to occur, they take care of the wrestlers & get them help from the back if they get injured and probably do some more stuff that none of us know about. The refs are just as important in the match as the wrestlers themselves, so that should make them worthy of getting a spot in the HOF even if people like you don't care & they don't receive a big pop.

Excuse me for thinking outside of the box... it was a theoretical question.

Sometime theoretical questions are best left unasked. The only reason people know who Earl Hebner is, is because he took part in the screw job. Name me 3 referee's outside of him. Without wiki, google, etc. You can't.

Why induct ring announcers (Howard Finkel),

Yeah. Lets not induct one of the most iconic voice of all time :rolleyes: Everyone knew the Fink. Come on now.

Promoters (Verne Gagne),

Think about what you just said. Why induct a man who ultimately help shape the business into what it is today? Maybe the average wrestling fan doesn't know who Verne Gagne is; however, Verne is only behind Lou Thesz and Bruno Sammartino when it comes to holding the title for the most consecutive days. Verne is a legend.

and Commentators (Jim Ross)?

Who the fuck doesn't know who Jim Ross is?

Because everyone involved is all apart of the show and make it what it is and there have been some memorable referees in the history of wrestling.

Name 5. Off the top of your head. No search engines. You can't.

The IBHOF honors their referees (Arthur Mercante) with HOF inductions, so why not?

Because the referees don't sell tickets. Simple as that. Never have. Never will. They don't draw reactions, they don't draw people in seats, and they're simply there to count "1-2-3", make sure no one gets hurt, and occasionally add some drama into a match.

Sometime theoretical questions are best left unasked. The only reason people know who Earl Hebner is, is because he took part in the screw job. Name me 3 referee's outside of him. Without wiki, google, etc. You can't.

Mike Chioda, Scott Armstrong, Charles Robinson

Bazinga.

Because the referees don't sell tickets. Simple as that. Never have. Never will. They don't draw reactions, they don't draw people in seats, and they're simply there to count "1-2-3", make sure no one gets hurt, and occasionally add some drama into a match.

I'm sure people were clamoring to see a match just because Finkel interviewed one of the wrestlers. I'm sure people were putting down their cold hard cash to hear Ross call a match rather than the wrestlers participating in said match. If commentators and announcers who don't sell any tickets can get in the Hall of Fame, then referees can too.

Name 5. Off the top of your head. No search engines. You can't.
Okay Charles Robinson (little naitch angle) Danny Davis (the heel ref), Nick Patrick (NWO ref), Earl Hebner (screw job, the hogan andre angle) tim white (suicide angle) not only did I mention the refs without looking them up I remember the angles they were in and how important they were to them.

I think that refs should be inducted, and Earl Hebner would definitely be a good choice, but they way he was fired I don't see it happening. Jimmy Korderas, Charles Robinson, and Nick Patrick would be good choices. The OP mentioned Danny Davis which I think is a good one because when Jack Tunney fired him as a ref he actually took part in matches with The hart Foundation. I remember he even wore the black and white striped tights. Good thread. i like outside of the box thinking.

I agree that referees should be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame. They may not sell tickets but some of them are as well-known as some of the wrestlers. Look at Charles Robinson, for instance. I used to work at a store called CompUSA and Charles Robinson came in. I was, personally, excited to see him, remembering him from the Little Naitch angle and the fact that he is a referee. I can be honest and say that I got his autograph that day in the same manner as I would a wrestler. They may not 'sell tickets' but they do have a major effect on the outcome.

Refs should definitively be inducted, but only once there 'in-ring' career is over. It wouldn't make sense within the context of a match for the ref to have higher prestige than that of the wrestlers. Yes, a ref's job is to officiate and thus has higher authoritativeness, but they should never be a main focal point (ie. having greater 'status')

Refs should be inducted definitely no question about it. Because they are the third man in the ring and that has a lot of responsibilities. I might not know all of their names but I do recognize those refs whose been there for a long time. Even longer than a superstar who is worthy of a HoF ring. So ref being inducted? YES! YES! YES!

to that guy who is comparing the referee to the cameraman or the hotdog seller, you sir are indeed without a question a certified simpleton.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back