• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Should JR's 27 Be Retired?

CH David

A Jock That Loves Pepsi
Jeremy Roenick retired at the end of last season after the Sharks were knocked out of the playoffs. He had his first 8 seasons on the West Side of Chicago before being shipped out for wanting money he deserved as a top player. He has said in interviews that he is a Blackhawk through and through, and that is the jersey he wants to wear in the Hall of Fame.

But he also believes that his #27 should be retired and hung in the rafters of the United Center. Does he deserve it for what he did as a Hawk? Sure, but he was gone for another 12 years. And I can't help but think that the time he was gone is going to hinder this process. It isn't his fault that he was gone, Bill Wirtz was a cheap man, but I just think that if he were to have his jersey retired, he should have had to play more years in Chicago like the others who have had their jersey's retired.

In his career as a Blackhawk, JR had 267 goals and 329 assists which totaled to 596 points. For the rest of his career, he had 246 goals, and 374 assists for 620 points. So as a Hawk he scored more goals, but had less assists and points in four less seasons with the Blackhawks.

So, do you think that Jeremy Roenick should have his 27 hung in the rafters of the United Center?

No sure. He is one of, if not the top 5 best American players ever, and to promote American players in the NHL, then you must reward them. JR in my head is still a Blackhawk, it just seems right. He should go into the Hall of Fame as a Blackhawk. Butto get his number retired, is a big deal. Canucks wouldn't retire Bertuzzi, excluding the incident, and I view them similarly. So at this point I say no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back