Sherdog: Ten Pro Wrestlers Who Could Have Made It In MMA

Rayne

Sally Section
http://www.sherdog.com/news/article...Would-Have-Made-Intriguing-MMA-Fighters-76469

Some interesting choices on this list, but it seems built to pander to the professional wrestling audience that mixed martial arts is constantly trying to lure. It's heavy on former amateur wrestlers for reasons obvious to any MMA fan- amateur wrestling is a great base to start from, and a good half of the UFC roster has a college wrestling background.

Kurt Angle and Lou Thesz are some of the obvious choices; had MMA been a thing back when they were in their primes, they would have been solid. (Take nothing away from Daniel Puder almost separating Kurt's shoulder- if your opponent isn't familiar with Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, there are a couple dozen ways to sucker them into a submission. See: Lesnar vs. Mir I)

Then, there are the less obvious choices, like Bruiser Brody and Rey Mysterio Jr. In Brody's case, being tough isn't enough to get by in MMA- every fighter there is tough, and technique matters ten times more. Perhaps in the early, Tank Abbott days of MMA he could have been worth the price of putting him on a card, but today, it'd be over with the first takedown. The same thing goes with Rey; he's on the list for his quickness, but every guy in the flyweight through lightweight classes is quick.

What names do you think should or shouldn't be on that list, that weren't/were? Tonga Fifita (Meng) rings a loud bell for me, although I'm not sure how well he'd fare in a fighting world where nose bites and eye gouges are prohibited. Shelton Benjamin would be up there as well; he has a solid wrestling background, plus the natural athleticism that would help him transition to the striking and jiu-jitsu backgrounds necessary today. (He reminds me a lot of Anthony Johnson, minus the wifebeating.)

http://www.sherdog.com/news/article...Would-Have-Made-Intriguing-MMA-Fighters-76469

Some interesting choices on this list, but it seems built to pander to the professional wrestling audience that mixed martial arts is constantly trying to lure. It's heavy on former amateur wrestlers for reasons obvious to any MMA fan- amateur wrestling is a great base to start from, and a good half of the UFC roster has a college wrestling background.

Kurt Angle and Lou Thesz are some of the obvious choices; had MMA been a thing back when they were in their primes, they would have been solid. (Take nothing away from Daniel Puder almost separating Kurt's shoulder- if your opponent isn't familiar with Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, there are a couple dozen ways to sucker them into a submission. See: Lesnar vs. Mir I)

Then, there are the less obvious choices, like Bruiser Brody and Rey Mysterio Jr. In Brody's case, being tough isn't enough to get by in MMA- every fighter there is tough, and technique matters ten times more. Perhaps in the early, Tank Abbott days of MMA he could have been worth the price of putting him on a card, but today, it'd be over with the first takedown. The same thing goes with Rey; he's on the list for his quickness, but every guy in the flyweight through lightweight classes is quick.

What names do you think should or shouldn't be on that list, that weren't/were? Tonga Fifita (Meng) rings a loud bell for me, although I'm not sure how well he'd fare in a fighting world where nose bites and eye gouges are prohibited. Shelton Benjamin would be up there as well; he has a solid wrestling background, plus the natural athleticism that would help him transition to the striking and jiu-jitsu backgrounds necessary today. (He reminds me a lot of Anthony Johnson, minus the wifebeating.)

I'd think Shelton Benjamin would be much closer to Rashad Evans than Rumble Johnson. But yeah, he'd have made a pretty good 85er or 05er for sure.

One guy that surprised me wasn't on the list is Jack Swagger. Great wrestling pedigree, interesting body dimensions, and a great deal of athleticism. With proper striking and sub defense, he'd be a handful for any heavyweight.

Wade Barrett: legit shoot wrestling experience, tough enough to beat up a guy who just stabbed him in the back with an 8 inch knife, and charismatic enough to sell a fight. Yeah, he should probably be on the list.

Also: Swagger, DH Smith, DBD, Alberto Del Rio and Benjamin should definitely be on the list for obvious reasons.

Rey Mysterio? Jeez.

A younger Steiner Brothers. Scott's younger self having his batshit crazy persona would help to sell a fight.

Bad News Brown.

It would be interesting to see Elijah Burke throw hands in a shoot fight considering he claims to have been a great boxer before he was a wrestler.

You know who really could have made it in MMA?

Brock Lesnar.

Seriously, if he went right to MMA he would have been considered the greatest heavyweight in MMA history. He destroyed the competition while battling Diverticulitis after his athletic prime had passed. Imagine a 25 year old Brock Lesnar in the UFC.

You know who really could have made it in MMA?

Brock Lesnar.

Seriously, if he went right to MMA he would have been considered the greatest heavyweight in MMA history. He destroyed the competition while battling Diverticulitis after his athletic prime had passed. Imagine a 25 year old Brock Lesnar in the UFC.

According to Dana White he tried to get Brock to sign with the UFC while Vince was trying to get him to sign with WWE and ultimately WWE won out. This was before he appeared in WWE the first time. Not this comeback that he did.

The way that Brock could punish people before he got too sick shows that he could have been incredible. A dude his size that's more muscle than fat and has the college wrestling background that he has? Yeah he could have had a top notch career had he been training longer and not got sick.

Eh..... I honestly don't know about Brock. His fights tend to be very one-sided, for or against.

Stating the obvious first; he has had a great deal of success as a mixed martial artist. He has heavy hands and decent (although not extraordinary) takedown skills. His BJJ defense could well have improved had he started training at a younger age. One thing he doesn't have- and that you can't train- is an ability to absorb damage in an exchange. Watch the Cain fight or the Silva fight. When he gets hit hard in the face, he turtles up, and opponents start teeing off. Let any UFC heavyweight tee off on you unchecked, and eventually either the bell is saving you, or you're getting knocked out.

He's also entirely too dependent on his takedown ability. Against a fighter like Mir, avoiding the ground game is a "no shit" decision, but in the majority of his fights, his game plan was to take a guy down, get on top, and punch, with no backup plan. He looked lost in the cage when he couldn't pass Crain's takedown defense.

He, obviously, would have been a better fighter had he started training earlier, and by no means am I saying he's not a talented fighter. He did take advantage of an extremely weak era in the heavyweight division. I don't think he had all of the intangibles to be a complete fighter, but he had enough talent to do well in his time.

On that note.... I would love to see him fight JDS.

Lou Thesz did practice MMA just not in the same way that it is today, He was a Shoot Fighter and had to be to protect the belt from People going into business for themselves.

Low-Ki, Daniel Bryan, Hideo Itami, AJ Styles, CM Punk, Chris Sabin, Tajiri, The Great Muta, Jay Lethal, Chavo Guerrero, Kurt Angle, The Rock.

Still more success than 99% of people who go into MMA.

No. It was just another PRIDE freak show fight. They'd let just about anybody get fed to one of their stars at the time. I mean, ADR wore a Mexican wrestling mask for the fight.

And fighters in 2014 are an entirely different animal then they were in 2003.

No. It was just another PRIDE freak show fight. They'd let just about anybody get fed to one of their stars at the time. I mean, ADR wore a Mexican wrestling mask for the fight.

And fighters in 2014 are an entirely different animal then they were in 2003.

He was on a televised card and got paid. That's more success than 99% of people in MMA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back