• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sergio Martinez Breaks Down The Middleweight Division, More

Calderownz

Brilliant Idiot
Reigning World Middleweight Champion, Sergio Martinez, was recently asked about some of the bigger names in the 160-pound division.

Martinez is coming off one of the most -- if not, the most -- impressive win of his white-hot career. After beating Paul Williams in dramatic fashion, he followed up that victory with a stoppage win over previously-unbeaten Sergiy Dzinziruk last Saturday.

Now, he breaks down the Middleweight division.

ON SERGIY DZINZIRUK:
"I'm very satisfied with my performance, especially against a great champion like Sergiy Dzinziruk. I thought that he was a very tough and intelligent fighter. It was not easy, but this was probably one of my best boxing performances of my career."

On Out-Jabbing And Knocking Dzinziruk Out:
"It's very simple. It was all timing and rhythm and distance. If you know how to control that, then it becomes simple. That's why they call me by the nickname, 'Marvelous,' you know? I can't reveal or share any more with you about that.

"I knew, coming into camp, that I had to knock him out. I want to be considered the best fighter in the world, and I knew that in order to be that, this was what was expected of me," Martinez said.

"I knew that I had to do it," he continued. "I trained very hard to get to that point and to accomplish that. I knew that, after the sixth or seventh round, that my punches were really hurting him. I knew that it was just a matter of time after that."

ON JULIO CESAR CHAVEZ & SEBASTIAN ZBIK:
"I would like to fight the winner of Zbik-Chavez and be able to get my title back."

Chavez-Zbik are fighting for the title that Martinez was stripped of when he decided to face the tougher challenger. So, this fight makes sense.

Also, Martinez would still be willing to face Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather, provided that the weight could be settled. Both fight predominantly at 147 or lower, theoretically, while Martinez has been a lifelong 154-pounder that's barely moved up to Middleweight.

He also mentioned that he would be willing to move up to 168 pounds, provided that he gets the chance to pack on the proper muscle and acclimate to the weight. Still, he thinks that will be in the distant future.

First off, we'll NEVER see Floyd Mayweather or Manny Pacquiao fight Sergio Martinez, and it has NOTHING to do with weight. Martinez would eat both alive and both camps know it.

Anyways, Sergio Martinez vs. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. has "huge draw" written all over it. I haven't seen much of Chavez, but from what I gather, while he's not the most technically sound fighter, he's very exciting and always goes for the kill much like his daddy. I definitely would not mind seeing that kind of style go up against Martinez's Roy Jones approach. Would be one epic fucking show.

But, as I stated in the March Boxing Schedule thread, I don't think there's anyone in or around the weight class who can beat Martinez. The guy is in a league of his own right now; it's just a shame he's already 36. There's no telling how much longer this peak he's on now will stand at that age. Hopefully for a long while though, because now more than ever Boxing needs a dominate force who's entertaining and isn't afraid to fight ANYONE.

First off, we'll NEVER see Floyd Mayweather or Manny Pacquiao fight Sergio Martinez, and it has NOTHING to do with weight. Martinez would eat both alive and both camps know it.

Good enough argument. I think that there is a bit of a size differential that factors in, but I can see Martinez being tough for anyone. Nonetheless, I wouldn't mind seeing either fight.

Anyways, Sergio Martinez vs. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. has "huge draw" written all over it. I haven't seen much of Chavez, but from what I gather, while he's not the most technically sound fighter, he's very exciting and always goes for the kill much like his daddy. I definitely would not mind seeing that kind of style go up against Martinez's Roy Jones approach. Would be one epic fucking show.

Yeah, this is an instant money fight. The problem is that Bob Arum doesn't like to put his fighters in with other promotional companies fighters. Arum has Chavez, Lou DiBella has Martinez. Might be tricky. Especially when Martinez is a beast.

Hopefully, Chavez wants it so bad that he's willing to push for the fight and it can be made. If Chavez wins a "title" with a victory of Zbik, this could actually do decent on PPV.

But, as I stated in the March Boxing Schedule thread, I don't think there's anyone in or around the weight class who can beat Martinez. The guy is in a league of his own right now; it's just a shame he's already 36. There's no telling how much longer this peak he's on now will stand at that age. Hopefully for a long while though, because now more than ever Boxing needs a dominate force who's entertaining and isn't afraid to fight ANYONE.

The good thing about Martinez and his age is that he started late. Around 20. So, instead of the traditional hard 20 to 30 years that most fighters would have gathered in terms of damage, he's around 15 years deep. So, I think that gives him a window of three years to get things done. If he has two fights a year -- adding up to about 6 more fights, or so, obviously -- then, it's plenty of time.

He's also got an elusive style that doesn't make him get hit too much. Hopefully, the reflexes don't disappear.

About an hour ago I would have offered James Kirkland as a interesting fight for Sergio but upon reading the results of Saturday's Golden Boy event, I fear Kirkland won't be fighting a big name anytime soon.
It's sad that there aren't any real interesting fights out there for him unless he really wanted to challenge himself and move up in weight to challenge some of the monsters at Super Middle. Martinez vs Froch won't happen but it's fun to think about.
Maybe Cotto eventually moves up in weight or Angulo gets his papers. Here's hoping.

Like JMT stated, Pacquaio and Mayweather would never accept the offer. It's a shame too 'cause it would shed some light on who actually is the number 1 pound-for-pound fighter in the world. A fight with Cotto or Chavez Jr. would no doubt have the biggest appeal, hell even Zbik might have some good attention. That's if he beats Chavez though.

As for moving up in weight, It would be interesting to see him against the likes of Kessler, Dirrell, Ward, Froch and the champ of the division, Bute. Just hoping he gets back in the ring soon. I just love watching him box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back