Second Round: Los Angeles - Bruiser Brody vs. Jake Roberts

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Bruiser Brody

• Jake Roberts

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a second round matchup in the Los Angeles Subregion. The ring and arena are universal throughout the first round and the organization is not a factor. There is a 20 minute time limit. Vote using any criteria you like. Most votes in the poll at the end of the time period wins. In the case of a tie we will go off of the number of written votes. In the case of a second tie, both are eliminated. Assume one week has passed since the first round.

michael-jackson-staples-center.jpg

Bruiser Brody

BruiserBrody.jpg

Vs.

Jake Roberts

JAKE%20ROBERTS.jpg

Voting is open for 4 days.

I understand the love for Jake Roberts because he played a great heel and had tremendous ring psychology but there is no way he should go over Brody. Brody has beaten guys like Dory Funk Jr, Jumbo Tsuruta, and Stan Hansen. He was also one of the first guys to really bring the brawling style of wrestling into the mainstream.

Now for all the Jake Roberts supporters let me ask one question. Who the fuck has he beaten? He lost in his feud with Savage, lost in his feud with Steamboat, lost to Ted Dibiase, lost to the Undertaker. He was even defeated by the likes of the Honky Tonk Man and Kamala. His biggest win in the WWF was probably over Rick Martel at Wrestlemania 7.

I'm a Roberts fan but Brody gets the win here.

Now for all the Jake Roberts supporters let me ask one question. Who the fuck has he beaten? He lost in his feud with Savage, lost in his feud with Steamboat, lost to Ted Dibiase, lost to the Undertaker. He was even defeated by the likes of the Honky Tonk Man and Kamala. His biggest win in the WWF was probably over Rick Martel at Wrestlemania 7.

This is correct. Jake was a great perfromer, but more times than not he was on the loosing end of his feuds. I too am a big Jake fan so it was hard for me to vote against him, but I give the edge to Brody here. I see Jake putting up a good fight and having an interesting feud here, but when the final bell rings Jake would be the one looking up at the lights.

I loved Jake Roberts. He gave some of the greatest interviews I've ever seen. He just had a kind of magnetic presence and had some really fun feuds in the WWF. The problem, however, is Roberts is going up against not only someone that accomplished more in wrestling than Roberts ever dreamed, but someone that's arguably wrestling's greatest brawler.

Jake Roberts was fun to watch and, while he did have some very interesting feuds, he almost always came out on the losing end of those feuds. When it all boils down to it at the end of the day, how many all-time greats did Jake Roberts beat? The answer is zero. While this isn't a hardcore match, Brody is simply too much for Jake to handle. Brody is bigger, stronger, tougher, rougher and has beaten some of the biggest names in the business.

While I'm personally more of a fan of Jake The Snake, I just can't think of a logical reason to vote for him over Bruiser Brody. Every logical fiber in my being screams that Roberts can't beat Brody and, while I like Jake, I don't like him nearly enough to simply overrule that logic.

Jake Roberts was known for his ring psychology. That won't work with a certified nutjob like Bruiser Brody was. He'd eat the snake alive in front of Roberts and then say "HUSS" for 30 minutes as he digests it.

Brody's no one to fuck with and to me, would be dangerous enough to beat nearly anyone in this tournament. You can never underestimate toughness and Brody's in a league of his own as far as tough is concerned.

Roberts will be too stupid to realize what he's in there against and will get thumped something fierce by Brody, then wash his sorrows with a fifth of Thunderbird.

BRUSIAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH BRODYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

I'm voting Jake Roberts purely because I'm looking ahead at the fact that even though either man is food to Austin, Roberts has defeated him in the beginning of Austin's prime and the end of Roberts career.

Brody, to me, seems like a straight forward attack, attack, attack type of guy. I can't see that working against Austin. Anyways, enough of looking ahead. Now to rub some dirt on an otherwise ugly match.

Jake Roberts has defeated bigger brawlers before. Hercules comes to mind, for some reason. I can also think of Bad News Brown, but I think thats slapping Brody in the face. :lmao: So, for the finishing touches.. I give you.. this..

In 1996, at the King of the Ring a much larger and vastly more superior/aggressive Vader was dominating, yet could not put away, Jake Roberts. Roberts, by this time well beyond any sort of prime, somehow hit a DDT and had Vader down for what seemed like longer than 3. Roberts would win the match via DQ, as Vader pulled the official down with him, during the DDT.. but the fact remains, and the point I'm making..

Roberts beat Vader. When Roberts was beyond his Prime, and Vader was still seemingly in his. Brody isn't half of what Vader is. And through that, I can see Roberts being able to last Brody's aggression and onslaught, only to hit a DDT and pick up the victory. (albeit, in ironic fashion to advance in a similar situation and be fed, broken and hurting, to Austin)

I love Roberts, but for the reasons stated I can't find a reason to vote for him here. Wrestling is littered with cases of "OMG THE FACE HAD THE MONSTER BEAT" so the Vader argument is somewhat weak - if you apply this, Eugene would of been a world champion.

I take Brody, because he won matches.

Once again, this is a pretty good draw for Bruiser Brody in my book. I think that Roberts would stick around here for quite some time,being the tough customer that he is, but Brodys' propensity for violence would prevail here. This guy is tough and dangerous, with or without kayfabe, and as I mentioned in the last round when Brody faced Jannety, there are only a handful of wrestlers in this tourney that can handle Brody. I just don't think that Roberts is one of them. He's a brawler, but a big bad one; Roberts attempts a DDT, but Brody kicks out of it and proceeds to beat the living hell out of Jake enroute to a fairly easy victory.

Jake Roberts was known for his ring psychology. That won't work with a certified nutjob like Bruiser Brody was. He'd eat the snake alive in front of Roberts and then say "HUSS" for 30 minutes as he digests it.

Brody's no one to fuck with and to me, would be dangerous enough to beat nearly anyone in this tournament. You can never underestimate toughness and Brody's in a league of his own as far as tough is concerned.

Roberts will be too stupid to realize what he's in there against and will get thumped something fierce by Brody, then wash his sorrows with a fifth of Thunderbird.

BRUSIAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH BRODYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

I don't really think there's anything more I can add to this after reading that haha.

Seriously though, I gave my vote to Brusier Brody as well. I'm more of a Jake Roberts fan, but yeah I don't think Roberts could handle Brody in a matchup if we're talking kayfabe here (certainly in real life as well). I don't think it'd be an easy matchup, because Jake was actually one tough customer and took some pretty big beatings from big guys. Let's not forget that he feuded with Andre the Giant and took some beatings from the Giant and still managed to win the matchups against the Eighth Wonder of the World for that matter. But Brody was crazy. Now if Roberts could hit the DDT though, he might put Brody down. But I think it's would take more than one.

From a greater wrestler standpoint, yeah Brody wins as well. Brody had more success, won more titles and was a pioneer of the brawling/hardcore style, and he created an enormous legacy for himself amongst wrestlers for being a truly independent wrestler. He didn't let promotors control him, which I think think was probably inspirational to all wrestlers hehe. He was a unique talent in that sense, and there really isn't anyone like that in today's world of wrestling. Roberts was influential as well though for his promo and style of ring-psychology which was emulated by guys like Taker, Stone Cold, and Orton. And of course for giving the wrestling world the DDT.

But yeah, Brody was a greater wrestler and thus gets my vote.

I'm gonna have to go with Brody also, again as I used as an argument for him winning in the last round, he's been declared the 14th greatest wrestler in the PWI years, you don't do that if you're not good, Brody put on some good matches here and there, and was an all out brutal guy to be in the ring with.

Jake Roberts on the other hand, sure he's able to put on some decent matches, but in the end all I really remember him for (seeing as I'm not too old-school knowledged) is him loosing to Stone Cold at the 1996 King of The Ring, and that's probably what's gonna be a final argument for me, the fact that he.. lost it..

Looking on influence, certainly you can only say that Brody is the one with the most influence to the whole brawling style in wrestling, as opposed to Jake who's innovated the DDT, both regular things involved in wrestling, but in the end I think Brody is the more influential talent of the two.

Also we gotta remember the fact that Brody has by a long shot held more titles than Jake, and as opposed to Brody, Jake hasn't been inducted into any hall of fame yet (Brody being in 2) not even the Wrestling Observers Newsletter who's inducted.. how many people? Jake hasn't been declared good enough for it yet obviously.. any else he would be in it.

Brody gets the win.

Very intriguing matchup here. Both of these guys are absolute nutjobs. Brody was insane and completely erratic and Jake the Snake was a drunk. I think the deciding factor here has to be Brody's death. Who is more likely to stab someone to death than a guy that's drunk off his ass? No one.

Here's what happens, after Brody wins his match from last round, he goes into the shower to cool off. No one likes a dirty lunatic. Jake the Snake, already having chugged 32 Canadian beers to celebrate his win, stumbles in, pulls out a fang out of his snake, and uses it to stab the hell out of Brody. Brody can't compete next round, Jake wins.

Two tough performers. Brody may be one of the most brutal and insane wrestler to ever step foot in the ring. Roberts is one of the most calculated and intelligent men to lace up the boots. Two personal favorites and a hard decision to make.

What it comes down to here is ring saavy. Brody was a madman for sure, but was never methodical in his offense. He was wild and untamable which I think is his downfall here. Especially when it comes to an opponent like Roberts. Jake would look for his moment to strike and Brody wouldn't see it coming. He was big, but not big enough to completely nullify Jake's DDT. Jake would take advantage of Brody's recklessness and hit him with his finisher for the win. I like Will's exaple of Vader. Someone bigger and arguably tougher than Brody but Robert's still prevailed.

If we are talking ring psychology here, Robert's is the man. This argument shouldn't be used however as Brody was infamously insane. Not only could Roberts's not get in the head of Bruiser, he wouldn't even want to. He would use his ring awareness instead. I've got Jake winning this after an attempted big boot by Brody followed by a snapping ddt.

Really don't like Bruiser Brody, but that's more because I have heard nothing but bad stories about his character. However, Roberts was nothing but a popular loser. For all of his mind games, and the DDT, he lost just about every single major feud he ever had at every level. Brody ha some big wins, and Roberts didn't, in short. Brody would win a match between these without question.

Jake Roberts is easily one of the most underrated, absolute wastes of talent that there has ever been. One behind Scott Hall, and one ahead of Dynamite Kid on the biggest wastes of natural ability list.

Awesome promos, that were far, far ahead of their time. seamless ring work, phsycology, and excellent selling. Of course, he is one of the most monumental losers in the history of wrestling, so he was never all he could be.

Will absolutely get my vote. Most folks just do not understand how damn good Jake Roberts was.

Don't really like Bruiser Brody that much, whereas Jake Roberts has always been a favourite of mine. Sure, he might not win this one kayfabe, but I refuse to believe that the tournament should solely be based on who would be booked over another.

The DDT was vicious, Damien was frightening, and promos like this, as NorCal said, put him far far ahead of his time.

[youtube]JaDxp_NV34s[/youtube]

Both men were psychotic, strong, agile, and skilled in the ring. But Jake Roberts has something that Brody never had... brains.

Jake Roberts was one of the most psychological wrestlers in the history of pro-wrestling. The guy could get into your head like no other, and his groundbreaking and controversial DDT finisher was quick, simple to execute, and was absolutely devastating. I can't see Brody escaping from it.

Vote Jake Roberts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back