• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Scams

Frank the Frowner

Getting Noticed By Management
About six months ago, I put my Intermediate Accounting book up on Facebook's Marketplace. I never got any responses on the book, and still have it lying around. The only reason I put it up there is because Amazon takes a huge cut of a commission when you sell a book on there. Not to mention, I'd rather sell the book to someone on campus anyway. Nobody ever responded to the ad, and I didn't bother taking it down. Yesterday, I get a message in my inbox, and much to my surprise, they inquired about the book.

Here's the message I got:

Intermediate Accounting - 12th Edition
Between You and Fredrick Mark regarding Intermediate Accounting - 12th Edition

Fredrick Mark
July 9 at 3:30pm
Report Message
what is the final asking price and condition ? kindly reply to [email protected]

I decide to do a little research, and he had no friends added. Nonetheless, I decided to humor him and gave him a ballpark figure of $120, including shipping... which is a good deal, considering that I paid nearly $200 for it, and it's split in half... it's about 25 ridiculously long chapters. I get another reply, and it reeked of a major scam.

Hello,
I appreciate your prompt reply. The item look satisfactory and are
moderately priced; hence, I am committed to executing an immediate payments
regarding the item. The payments would be made via a CERTIFIED CHECK or MONEY ORDER; covering both the item cost and it shipment.
However, you will need to remit the paid shipping cost to my authorised
shipper who also helps me to ship some other things in a single consignment.
I will furnish you with his full contact information and then instruct him
to contact you accordingly. Hence, I will expect you to notify me as soon as
you received the payment mailed to you via FEDEX.
I have no doubt in your ability to effectively discharge the above explained
scenario. Meanwhile, kindly furnish me with your full names and address ,
city , state , zip code and telephone number to enable me prepare the
payment as soon as possible.
Regards

My question: What would be an appropriate response where I can smash the hell out of him?

I forget the name of it, but you can but the book on hold until you receive payment. Its held by a 3rd party and not shipped until payment is received, so if he doesn't pay you he doesn't get anything. Put it on hold, send him this instead.

ashton-kutcher-punkd.jpg

Here's the thing as far as payment goes.

When I took Forensic Accounting, I learned about scams like this where they'll send the cashier's check/money order. The victim would go ahead and send the goods out, and after the check/money order is cashed, it would be found by the bank to be fraudulent, and the victim would be held responsible. This typically happens weeks later.

When I took Forensic Accounting, I learned about scams like this where they'll send the cashier's check/money order. The victim would go ahead and send the goods out, and after the check/money order is cashed, it would be found by the bank to be fraudulent, and the victim would be held responsible. This typically happens weeks later.

Don't send the goods out until the money is in your hands. But if you are afraid of that, I wouldn't accept cashiers checks or a money order. Paypal or a check. You can take a check to the bank its drawn upon and check if it's legit before you cash it.

Hey buuuddy. Wanna make a lil money?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back