Santos Raw/Nitro Reviews

Big Papa Santo

Ryder? I barely even know her!
Hi everyone, it's your favorite (And only) Russian Luchador, Santo. I was bored so today I thought of a new concept that I could do, where from each week since the conception of WCW, i will duel review both shows (Raw and Nitro) and decide which one had the better show for that week.

Nitro
This is Nitros debut episode, and after introducing both of the commentators (Heenan & Mongo) Things kick off with the two men who had one of the greatest (If not, the greatest) Cruiserweight matchups in history at Superbrawl 1992, but can this match live up to the high expectations set for these two men?

Opener
Jushin "Thunder" Liger Vs. "Flying" Brian Pillman
I am one of the biggest fans of Ligers work, but he just seemed to be off his game tonight. Some notable errors on both mens part include Liger making Brian wait 5 seconds just standing in the ring while he was setting up a top rope moonsault, and Pillman just completely hitting and missing with a top rope hurricanrana. Pillman eventually wins with some sort of small package.
***,"Flying" Brian Pillman Def. Jushin "Thunder" Liger with a small package(?)
The match was a good opener, but was not even on the same level as their previous encounter, too many noticeable mistakes by both men make me give it a 3 out of 5 stars, also the ending was very anti-climatic in my eyes.

Eric Bischoff is now interviewing Hulk Hogan at the infamous "Pastamania" restaurant. Very generic Hogan promo with a horde of kids mobbing him.

Now we go to one of Nitros more famous matches, the same match that would close the curtain on Nitro 6 years later when it was bought by the WWF

(C)Sting Vs. Ric Flair, WCW United States Championship
Before the opening of this match, Lex Luger came out for about 30 seconds, hinting at something for later tonight. AA also came out a couple of minutes into the match, and eventually came in and attacked Ric Flair for the DQ. And just when you thought things were over, Scott Norton came out to verbally abuse Mongo, but The Macho Man himself came in to make the save. He then challenged Norton to a match right then and there, but Bischoff played up the good old "If you step in that ring, you'll never wrestle again"
***1/2, Ric Flair Wins Via DQ
If this match went on longer, then it would of gotten a higher rating. There was just way too much going on post-match that diverted the attention given to this match to the AA/Flair and the Savage/Norton feuds.

A promo for ECWs Sabu WCW debut is shown.

Another promo for a new WCW wrestler is shown. VK Wallstreet (AKA Mike Rotunda, or IRS)

Next is Nitros main event, WCW Heavyweight Champion taking on "Big" Bubba Rogers

(WCW Heavyweight Champion) Hulk Hogan W/ Jimmy Hart Vs. "Big" Bubba Rogers, Non-Title Match
You talk about "Super-Cena" Well Hogan was the innovator of nicknames like that, this match basically (Like most of his matches) Played The Hulkster up as some sort of superhero. The match culminates with Hogan hitting the most generic finisher in all of history, the Hogan Leg Drop (If you haven't figured it out yet,,I look at Hogan as extremely overrated. I view him as a creation of VKM, and that's the only reason why I think that he's successful, is because of McMahon) Post-Match we have a Dungeon Of Doom run-in. Hogan (As previously predicted) has no problem fighting them all off single-handedly, but then Luger (Also as previously predicted) comes in to help fight of the rest of The Dungeon. They have a shout/staredownin the middle of the ring (Which I'm guessing is about who has the better long, wavy locks) Until Sting and Savage come in to break it up. Luger and Hogan then have a promo about Luger "Tired of playing with kids" And coming to WCW to take on the big boys (Or as Luger puts it, W-Ceba-W, why can't he ever say the name right?)
**1/2, Hogan wins via Leg Drop.

Now, there was no Raw this week, but normally I will do dueling reviews of both and then compare which had the better show. Feedback is great, thanks!

Very nice idea, quite the undertaking too! This idea could get very interesting as the weeks progress so keep up the good work!

For all you Santoholics, the next review should be up by later tonight, hell i might even have two reviews done. 2 quick notes,

1. I am currently deciding whether or not to review Fall Brawl (I mainly want to because of the outstanding Mero/Pillman match)

and

2. Since i have found a Youtube channel that can supply me with 3 years worth of Nitro episodes (Shout-out to nwonitro) I have decided to only review Nitro episodes for now. Maybe as the years progress and I get into 1998 territory, then i'll start doing Raw, it just seems like its way more of a hassle to find old Raws then it is to find old Nitros.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back