Santa Claus

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
Been watching a lot of Christmas movies recently given the fact that Christmas was just under ten days ago. One of the movies I came across was Miracle on 34th Street. The main point of the movie is an old man claims to be the real Santa Claus and through a series of circumstances has to go to court to prove it. In the movie the main woman constantly tells her daughter that there is no such thing as Santa, with the reasoning of it's better that she know the truth now rather than be hurt later.

What do you think of someone doing this? Should parents tell their children the truth about things like Santa Claus, or should children be allowed to believe what they want to believe?

Telling a child there is no Santa Claus is essentially robbing them of their childhood. Some of my fondest childhood memories involve these falsehoods we are taught to believe and I wouldn't have had it any other way. There is only a breif period in our lives that we are innocent enough to believe in such things. Plus, if for no other reason, it gives adults a few months out of the year to bribe kids into being on their best behavoir....lol

Children should be able to believe in Santa. When you are a little kid it is one of the most exciting things ever knowing that Santa is coming lol. I would never understand why someone would stop their kid believing but I know some people who are not keen on it.

You can't take away fantasy from children - Santa, the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny even the Boogeyman all define us. Without this belief system, imagination and creativity are suppressed. If your kid has been raised to not believe in Santa - what about fairy tails, what about cartoons? Whatcha going to do - raise them on encyclopedias and maths books?

I love Miracle on 34th Street and I love the way the Dickie Attenborough version leaves us with a slightly ambiguous ending - this old dude that may or may not be Kris Kringle, arranges for two of the wee girl's 3 wishes to happen but no real magic is involved - the third wish (a baby brother), well that's left to our imaginations... almost makes ya feel like a kid again, huh?

Children should be allowed to believe in Santa Clause if they choose to. When one is a child, it is when their imagination is used best. A child's mind is like a sponge. Little by little, it grows until it is able to adapt to the real world. But along the process of growth, comes their curiosity (and ultimately hapiness) in such [fictional] existances. Believing in Santa Clause, along with any other fictional crearure brings happiness and warmth to a child's heart. Depriving a child of such beliefs is like killing a part of thier "happiness."

Imagine this: A kid is so full of joy, being on their best behavior--hoping that Santa Clause will come for him (or her) and bring him the presents that he wishes. But along comes a bigger child. This child is aware that Santa Clause is fake. This bigger kid tells the child that Santa Clause is but a mere fantasy. All of a sudden, the smaller child, believing the bigger kid starts to cry as his hopes and happiness the kid had are all stomped on.

Now is that really what should happen? Should a childs happiness be stomped on just so that they can realize what is fake and what isn't? I sure as hell don't think so.

Killing [a part of] the joy and excitement out of a child's life--that is what telling a child Santa Clause does not exist does. Every kid should be allowed to live in a fantasy world. Afterall, they are only children and in time, they will begin to know the truths that are found in life. But until the time comes, a kid should be allowed to remain pure and innocent. As in the end, that's all a kid is.

I personally grew up being told from the start that Santa Claus didn't exist, and I was fine with that. It didnt take away the joy and excitement of Christmas, it was being with my family and more importantly, getting sweet gifts that made my holiday. My parents didn't like the idea of teaching us something that wasn't real, only for us to be crushed later when we found out he didn't exist. I don't care about "missing out" on this part of my childhood, because it was certainly compensated for by my parents through gifts and a joyful holiday.

That being said, I think parents should allow kids to believe what they want to believe. My nine year old neice still believes in Santa Claus, and theres nothing wrong with that. The mystical element of having a jolly old fat man travel to their house to give them exactly what they want is a pretty cool thing, if you think about it. I think most parents should handle things the way my sister has, in that she's letting my neice find out on her own, and then explaining things to her. Ultimately, my neice will find out, but will it change the fact that she's getting cool gifts each year? Absolutely not.

Lets face it, its not Santa in himself that makes Christmas such a cool thing, its the gifts we get that does. I think the idea of getting exactly what you want for Christmas will soften the blow of finding out Santa doesn't exist, and kids forget about Santa shortly after Christmas is over. Can't say the same thing about the gifts they get. So allowing kids to believe in Santa is ultimately a harmless thing, because its ultimately not what brings kids joy at Christmas time. Its the gifts they get, and the source of said gifts becomes irrelevant, and quick.

I don't see any harm in encouraging the belief in Santa Claus in young children. We read our kids fairy tales when they're little and, for all intents and purposes, Santa Claus is a larger than life fairy tale in and of himself.

Our society has become one in which it's quickly becoming disdainful to believe in or hope for wonderous things. A jolly old man that brings gifts to all good little boys & girls always struck me as sweet and childhood innocence is a wonderful thing. Besides, it's a good little morality tale.

There'll be enough opportunities for the imagination in unbelievable things to be snuffed out as it is. Let then enjoy the sheer sweet joy of something as harmless and fun as Jolly Ol' Saint Nick while they can.

I don't see the problem with allowing fantasy in a child to an extent. I think, once your child starts to catch on to the non-existence of Santa Claus, I think there is a problem with trying to convince your child that he's real.

Children have an uncanny way of figuring things out for themselves while at the same time being incredibly impressionable when it comes to adults, especially their parents. If you have a kid, and his or her parents try to convince them that something exists that doesn't, you're going to have a confused child trying to piece something together that they can't.

So no, there's nothing wrong with allowing children a little bit of fantasy, but there is a problem with perpetuating a flat-out lie for longer than your children wants to hear it.

Honestly we are going through this right now with my nephew. He is 9 and believes in Santa Claus, but his parents want him to believe what ever he wants to believe and if he believes there’s a Santa then he can believe it. Our worry is that kid’s will make fun of him at school if they find out that he still believes in Santa, so I think it’s different for everyone depending on the circumstances.

There's a lot of things that parents need to be aware of if they continue on letting there child believe in something that isn't true which is the bullying in schools.

What makes me mad about the “Non-believers” is when they say there isn’t any proof that there is a “Santa” it’s never been about proof it’s been about “Believing in something”.

So I don’t know. I think at the end it should be up to the parents and what they feel is best for there child.

Honestly we are going through this right now with my nephew. He is 9 and believes in Santa Claus, but his parents want him to believe what ever he wants to believe and if he believes there’s a Santa then he can believe it. Our worry is that kid’s will make fun of him at school if they find out that he still believes in Santa, so I think it’s different for everyone depending on the circumstances.

It's cool that your family chose to let the kid believe whatever he wants to believe, but you don't see a problem with not providing sufficient information that would lead him to make an educated decision? You kind of know for a fact that Santa Claus does not exist, so why perpetuate that fantasy?

This is not a religious or political ideal. This is a pretty solid case of letting a child believe a lie.

There's a lot of things that parents need to be aware of if they continue on letting there child believe in something that isn't true which is the bullying in schools.

What makes me mad about the “Non-believers” is when they say there isn’t any proof that there is a “Santa” it’s never been about proof it’s been about “Believing in something”.

So I don’t know. I think at the end it should be up to the parents and what they feel is best for there child.

Actually, it has been proven. The fact that Santa doesn't actually leave presents under the Christmas tree. Every single parent in the world who tells their children about Santa Claus are the ones who buy their children Christmas gifts, so even if Santa were "real," the entire purpose of his existence isn't, making the entire story irrelevant.

I can't tell if this is a subtle attempt at starting a religious debate.

Spoiling Santa for children at a young age by parents sounds like some modern day, PC-sissy horseshit and I'm totally against the whole "feelings police" mentality, so no, never/ There's nothing quite like the magic of Christmas as a child, and taking it away is a dick move, plain and simple. No need to elaborate--it just is.

Kids will find out on their own eventually and should enjoy the fun and special years until that time comes.

It's cool that your family chose to let the kid believe whatever he wants to believe, but you don't see a problem with not providing sufficient information that would lead him to make an educated decision? You kind of know for a fact that Santa Claus does not exist, so why perpetuate that fantasy?

This is not a religious or political ideal. This is a pretty solid case of letting a child believe a lie.

Actually, it has been proven. The fact that Santa doesn't actually leave presents under the Christmas tree. Every single parent in the world who tells their children about Santa Claus are the ones who buy their children Christmas gifts, so even if Santa were "real," the entire purpose of his existence isn't, making the entire story irrelevant.

I can't tell if this is a subtle attempt at starting a religious debate.

The only one making this into a religion debate is you and like i said everyone has to do what is best for there family and for there kids and I see nothing wrong with kid's believing that is what we believe. Again that is what BELIEVING is all about. I don't need proof of anything. I believe in Ghosts and all of that, so why shoudln't kid's believe what they want to believe.

Also this has nothing to do with education or anything like that. Family need to do what is best for there kid's and i'm just going to leave it as that.

The only one making this into a religion debate is you

Er, you posting something to a public forum whose purpose is debate actually makes your situation open for discussion. Deal with it.

and like i said everyone has to do what is best for there family and for there kids and I see nothing wrong with kid's believing that is what we believe. Again that is what BELIEVING is all about. I don't need proof of anything. I believe in Ghosts and all of that, so why shoudln't kid's believe what they want to believe.

So when you buy presents and tell your children that Santa Claus left them, you're telling me that's not a bold-faced lie? Do your nephews know that their parents are the ones buying the presents, and that Santa Claus never got them a single present in their lives?

Also, let's talk about the burden of proof.

If you make a claim, you must prove its existence. It isn't logically sound to say, "Prove to me that something doesn't exist." It doesn't make any logical sense to say, "Derp, prove to me Santa Claus doesn't exist."

Kids should believe whatever they want to believe when their world view isn't being skewed by lies.

Also this has nothing to do with education or anything like that. Family need to do what is best for there kid's and i'm just going to leave it as that.

And as it turns out, lying to children trying to influence their world view is not the best thing for them, under any circumstance.

That is right I did post something in the forum, basically what everyone else posted and yet the only post you quoted was me?

Let me ask why is that?

Why not quote the other posters?

Because you want to argue.

Again your forgetting what Christmas is all about so honestly debating this with you is not even worth my time or my energy because we all believed in Santa at one point and we all turned out find so your argument is well pointless.

Yet making them cry and upset is much better. As they get older they will find out for themselves. Honestly, your argument does nothing to me and like I said why do you quote only me when other posters seem fine with it?

That is right I did post something in the forum, basically what everyone else posted and yet the only post you quoted was me?

Let me ask why is that?

Why not quote the other posters?

Because you want to argue.

Because your post is the only one I have a problem with it. Like I said, if you don't want to discuss the topic at hand, then you shouldn't have posted to the thread. You can stop posting at any time if you don't want to debate. I won't hold it against you. But as long as you keep posting, I'm going to keep responding.

Again your forgetting what Christmas is all about so honestly debating this with you is not even worth my time or my energy because we all believed in Santa at one point and we all turned out find so your argument is well pointless.

Er, I'm pretty sure Christmas (by name) is the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ. It has nothing to do with Santa Claus, so you're incorrect on that point. In fact, believing in Santa Claus as someone supernatural is in itself a sin, so I think you have the entire holiday twisted.

Also, you have no idea what I believed as a child. In fact, I figured it out when I was able produce coherent thoughts on my own.

Yet making them cry and upset is much better. As they get older they will find out for themselves.

It's funny how you completely ignored my point. Are you even reading my posts? You're sitting here telling me that I can not prove the non-existence of Santa Claus. Why have you abandoned that point?

This is not a case of "believing what you want to believe."

Honestly, your argument does nothing to me and like I said why do you quote only me when other posters seem fine with it?

I don't care what other people do. I found a problem with your posts, so I responded to it. That is not against the rules of this forum. Like I said, I'm not forcing you to respond, but your first post is an invitation for others to respond. If you don't like it, you don't have to post.

Again how can my post be the only one you have a problem with when we all said the same thing? Lmao

Keep responding, you think I care?

LMAO that you think that Santa Clause has nothing to do with Christmas. Now that is hilarious. As a child it has everything to do with Santa Clause.

That’s right I ignored your point just like you ignored all the other posters who said the exact same thing that I did but chose to argue with me. So like I said continue on arguing with you yourself because it’s pretty obvious what is going on here.

Again how can my post be the only one you have a problem with when we all said the same thing? Lmao

Okay? I don't have a problem with you, I have a problem with your position. Which means I have the same problem with HHHBK, cm_punk, FF4L, Mister Awesome, LSN80, and Jack-Hammer's posts. You were just the last one to respond so I responded. Chill with the victim complex, it's not personal.

LMAO that you think that Santa Clause has nothing to do with Christmas. Now that is hilarious. As a child it has everything to do with Santa Clause.

Sure, Santa Claus has a lot to do with Christmas, but he's not the reason why Christmas exists. In fact, Jesus Christ isn't even the reason why Christmas exists, but we won't get into that right now.

If you're a parent who just happens to identify as a Christian, and you're telling your child that Christmas is about Santa Claus, then you're a lost cause.

That’s right I ignored your point just like you ignored all the other posters who said the exact same thing that I did but chose to argue with me. So like I said continue on arguing with you yourself because it’s pretty obvious what is going on here.

Yeah, you ignored my point because it completely obliterated yours, but you can run along deluding yourself the rest of the thread. I told you what's going on here, and believe me, I really, really don't have the time to follow you around the forum over a personal vendetta. I just happen to notice a lot of your posts because a lot of them are stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back