• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Samoa Joe is not only the future of TNA, but the future of professional wrestling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Sam

Rear Naked Bloke
Yes, you read that correctly. I am completely serious. Samoa Joe is the future of professional wrestling. Well, I can't see the future, but he has the potential to be. So why exactly do I consider Samoa Joe the future of professional wrestling? First let's tackle why you shouldn't.

On the whole, Joe's title reign was underwhelming. Some of the TNA hardcore - if any should exist - remained behind him but he was skating on thin ice for most of the year. Surely, if Joe were to show that he was the future of the business he would have used the time he was at the forefront of TNA, right? Wrong. TNA management did not have a clue how to book him, one second deciding he was an uncompromising monster, the next as Kevin Nash's pet. Had TNA booked him right, the reign would likely have been a much bigger success. It, simply put, was not Joe's fault.

Secondly, a lot of people don't like Joe. This is largely because he doesn't conform to their view of what their view of a professional wrestler should be. He's overweight, for example. This has lead to nicknames like Sloppy Joe and Average Joe. These nicknames are completely inaccurate. Joe is not sloppy, he's always precise and his "botch rate" - if I may call it that - is possibly lower than anyone on the TNA roster, and he always keeps his opponents safe, despite his hard-hitting style. He is also not average - even if you think he sucks.

Samoa Joe is original, something which a lot of people hate. These are normally the same people that are concerned with psychology and storytelling, and regularly bash the likes of Dean Malenko and Kurt Angle. Samoa Joe does not lack psychology, nor can he not tell a story. His character is an athlete, like Kurt Angle, someone wholly unconcerned with postering and taunting, a man who wants to win. His style, one that could be described as soft-MMA (or whatever), accompanies this beautifully. The story he tells in the ring is not the dull good vs. evil story we've been told thousands upon thousands of times, but the story of a sporting contest, with no absolutes or strictly set conventions.

Samoa Joe is like only one other professional wrestler on Earth. Together, they perfected their respective styles in an MMA-style match at Lockdown. There was no good man and bad man in this match. There was contestant number one and contestant number two. They still had personalities, but they made what went on in the ring seem real. These men are the two best on the planet at suspending disbelief. WWE wrestlers don't go far enough, pretending as if one kick to the face or a punch to the shoulder is enough to send a grown man writhing around or into the land of nod. Indie wrestlers go too far, having overlong matches that nobody but the most deluded fan wants to watch. Kurt Angle and Samoa Joe struck the perfect balance and it was only TNA's own stupidity that stopped them capitalizing on it.

If wrestling is to evolve and become something different to what it was a decade ago - which many "if it ain't broke, just kinda dull, don't fix it" people would not want - then it is with Samoa Joe and his brand of wrestling it will go. As people grow tired of the repetitive "stories" told in WWE rings (which are highly simplistic, yet talked about as if it takes an equation to pull off a staredown) and turn to new forms of similar entertainment, such as MMA, it is with Samoa Joe and those that are willing to take similar steps that professional wrestling will survive and become exciting again.

The guy is average though, I'm not arguing the fact that he can't have a good match, I'm arguing that the guy is boring. He has barely any mic skills, and is proven to be a massive failure as champion. Wrestling fans don't want to see MMA style shoot fighting, otherwise they watch UFC. Do you really think that increasing competition by making it more MMA style for TNA is a good idea? THey already have enough competition with WWE, by changing the style they would not only lose some (maybe a lot going by Joe's title reign) viewers who watch TNA for the current style of wrestling, they risk looking even more like an Indy company, and even if it did work (which it wouldn't) it would have the negative effect of converting wrestling fans to MMA fans, and do you really think they will continue watching TNA over UFC?

The main point I want to make though is the majority of wrestling fans want to see storytelling, intresting feuds, and more importantly an intresting persona. Joe's persona doesn't work mainly because he doesn't have the key skills necessery to make it work. The small minority want to see what your describing as the future of wrestling.

The future of wrestling most certainly is not Joe, it is wrestlers like Cena, Orton, even Angle to an extent who are guaranteed a reaction positive or negativedoesn't matter because the lines of heel and face are blurred nowadays, you could have a wrestler going around attacking people and the crowd will lap it up because its entertaining doesn't matter if they are a face or not as long as they are entertaining people will pay to see them.

I think the guy has potential. I just don't know if he has the ability to use it. It seems to me like most guys in TNA can't get themselves into a strong main event storyline without losing the match and going back to doing nothing. AJ just doesn't have any mic skills, like he is HORRIBLE on the mic. He is however likely the best wrestler on the roster and he gets great crowd responses. His feuds however aren't very memorable besides the match itself which is a bad thing. The only thing I can see him doing to get over is to truly say he is phenomenal in a tweener way, and blow the fans out of there seats with GREAT matches every week. Sorry about straying. Joe on other hand to me seems like a guy who can play the badass role, ala STSA. However mgmt has really strayed on him and made him look weak and like a crybaby. The only thing i remember about him in the last 6 months is crying to Kevin Nash. These guys are all great wrestlers but mgmt just doesn't trust the young guys with mic time with makes them more in chasers then champions

I disagree with you. He doesn't have a great look. He can work the mic, but he needs to lighten up. Most wrestlers that become household names have a sense of humour. Rock, Austin, even Foley.

This guy looks like a fat guy who can wrestle.. but I dont really see him "the future". I dont know man.. I think TNA needs to go crazy with character and wacky storylines and push the envelope every single week to get people talking. Let Russo write Joe and turn him into someone cool that I can look up to.

The guy is average though,

I thought I addressed this. Even if you think Samoa Joe is absolute shite, calling him average is just in accurate. He's unique. Whether you think he's unique like a beautiful snowflake or like... I dunno, a goth kid is up to you.

I'm not arguing the fact that he can't have a good match, I'm arguing that the guy is boring. He has barely any mic skills, and is proven to be a massive failure as champion.

Joe was hardly a massive failure as champion. Disappointing, perhaps. A minor failure. It was largely due to the way TNA booked him and the company as a whole, and still are to an extent.

Wrestling fans don't want to see MMA style shoot fighting, otherwise they watch UFC.

They do watch UFC. That's my point.

Do you really think that increasing competition by making it more MMA style for TNA is a good idea? THey already have enough competition with WWE, by changing the style they would not only lose some (maybe a lot going by Joe's title reign) viewers who watch TNA for the current style of wrestling, they risk looking even more like an Indy company,

TNA already look like an indy company, just dressed up a bit. They have a bunch of spotty cruiserweights on one side and a bunch of past it has-beens on the other.

and even if it did work (which it wouldn't) it would have the negative effect of converting wrestling fans to MMA fans, and do you really think they will continue watching TNA over UFC?

If they want to see real fighting that basically translates to two guys dry humping for a few minutes at a time then they can watch MMA. If they want to watch an athletic spectacle that doesn't make them feel twelve years old, they can watch this hypothetical TNA, where the streets are paved with gold, yadda yadda yadda.

The main point I want to make though is the majority of wrestling fans want to see storytelling, intresting feuds, and more importantly an intresting persona. Joe's persona doesn't work mainly because he doesn't have the key skills necessery to make it work. The small minority want to see what your describing as the future of wrestling.

Well, it hasn't really been tried out. It's likely that it wouldn't work, but it's been features in a total of one match, which at least raised some eyebrows.

The future of wrestling most certainly is not Joe, it is wrestlers like Cena, Orton, even Angle to an extent who are guaranteed a reaction positive or negativedoesn't matter because the lines of heel and face are blurred nowadays, you could have a wrestler going around attacking people and the crowd will lap it up because its entertaining doesn't matter if they are a face or not as long as they are entertaining people will pay to see them.

The lines of face and heel are no more blurred than they've ever been. The complexity of characters limits itself to a face refusing to shake someone's hand, or a heel doing his "I has conscience" face. It's storytelling at its very bluntest.

I disagree with you. He doesn't have a great look. He can work the mic, but he needs to lighten up. Most wrestlers that become household names have a sense of humour. Rock, Austin, even Foley.

Then just put "Alex Shelley" in the title instead. Funniest guy in professional wrestling.

This guy looks like a fat guy who can wrestle..

He is a fat guy who can wrestle.

I think TNA needs to go crazy with character and wacky storylines and push the envelope every single week to get people talking. Let Russo write Joe and turn him into someone cool that I can look up to.

I think whereas other people bash Russo too much, you give him too much praise. The areas he affects are uncertain, and there's no absolute way to tell whose ideas are whose.

For arguments sake though, let's say Joe lightens up and becomes "Russo-esque".... it's just not gonna work. He'll walk round with a Hawaiian shirt and a cigar, acting like he's dense. That's the best case scenario.

i think joe will be the future,if not the present.He puts on great matches,e.g. hard justice 2007 v kurt Angle.However,due to his image he probably wouldn't make it in wwe unless he starts wearing make up,shouting in his own "language" or sitting in peoples faces (you know what wrestlers im talkin bout).He may lack the humour of rock or austin, but makes up for it in sheer intestity.sure you wont remember him for his jokes when having a chat with a friend, but they might say "shit i wouldn't like to get on his bad side".He also gets respect from fans because he cares about his promotion.If it turns into a wwe v tna dogfight(which it probably wont),tna,and I ,would rather have someone who'd fight for the company rather than sum1 who'd crack jokes.
f you ever saw the ROH v CZW feud(which i saw on a channel over here,although a year after) joe was the first fight.Think of action movies with a serious character and a funny one,the funny one is the one you remember for his jokes but when the fights come,you remember the serious one.(Realistically any jackie chan movie,rush hour,shanghai noon etc.)
Think about it, you can't have everyone as a joker,you need sum1 serious.In the frontline, he adds the perfect contrast to maybe the guns.

Interesting idea.

I disagree though, call me a purist or whatever but if I want to watch MMA style fighting I watch UFC, I dont tune into pro-wrestling because of it's realism so I dont want to watch a fake MMA style match. Most MMA fans wouldnt tune into pro-wrestling if they offered an MMA style product because it is still fake.

I dont think wrestling will ever evolve to far beyond what Hulk Hogan made it, good vs evil, weird and wonderful storylines and characters because thats what makes money in the world of sports entertainment. UFC sells because its real, your never going to convince anyone but the youngest of fans that pro-wrestling is real.

I dont know maybe your right, but when you talk about Kurt Angle and Dean Malenko getting shat on by certain fans you have to remember that only one wrestler who works that style has ever drawn enough to be a real champion, and Kurt only did it after learning to work the WWE style, and he still never drew as much as some of wrestlings cartoonistic superheroes. So until that changes pro-wrestling will never evolve too far beyond what it's always been.

Even if you think Samoa Joe is absolute shite, calling him average is just in accurate. He's unique. Whether you think he's unique like a beautiful snowflake or like... I dunno, a goth kid is up to you.

I'm sorry, the whole Goth Kid line was great and made me laugh hysterically.

Joe was hardly a massive failure as champion. Disappointing, perhaps. A minor failure. It was largely due to the way TNA booked him and the company as a whole, and still are to an extent.

I have to just agree with this. Uncle Sam, I don't think a lot of people really realize or understand the importance and impact of booking. Most people probably don't even know what a booker does.

If they want to see real fighting that basically translates to two guys dry humping for a few minutes at a time then they can watch MMA.

I can't agree more, I hate MMA, and think that's pretty much what it amounts to. I am a Boxing purist. I love the sport of Boxing, I think it is the truest form of fighting and the most effective. I have always thought MMA guys were just guys who weren't tough enough to Box, or who lacked the skills to purely Box. I could go on a whole huge tangent to explain it all scientifically and so on but no one really wants to hear it. I just loved that statement and thought it was funny, and furthermore agree wholeheartedly.

I don't know Uncle Sam, I can appreciate your points though. I just can't get myself to like this guy. I just don't buy it. Whatever package they try to sell Joe in I just haven't been able to believe it or him. They tried to make him out to be this end all be all, bad ass, ruthless, merciless, machine of destruction, like he's the most unbeatable guy in the world and no one is badder than Samoa Joe. Sorry I can't go with that, especially when there are handful's of guys from WWE who I think would squash him. The physique thing was an issue for me too like it is for most people. Maybe I'm a little spoiled from WWE and their wrestlers with looks of Atlas. To me I saw this guy and thought "ok, a fat guy with an impulse control problem who acts like he's 10 times tougher than he is than looks ridiculous in the ring trying to act like he's also 125 pound lighter" You could be right, I could be wrong but I don't know. I just can't get myself to like this guy.

I think whereas other people bash Russo too much, you give him too much praise. The areas he affects are uncertain, and there's no absolute way to tell whose ideas are whose.

For arguments sake though, let's say Joe lightens up and becomes "Russo-esque".... it's just not gonna work. He'll walk round with a Hawaiian shirt and a cigar, acting like he's dense. That's the best case scenario.

Dude you just gave me a bad flashback of Mike Awesome the fat chick thriller.

I gotta agree with this, Samoa joe is definatly the future of TNA. In fact he is my favorite wrestler in TNA.

However I dont believe he is the future of pro wrestling, unless TNA suddenly gets hot and gets bigger then the WWE( which is about 1 in a billion chance )

I will dsimiss this with one name...AJ Styles

Samoa Joe is not the future of TNA. AJ Styles is. Joe got his title run, and while I don't think it's as much of a failure as many do, I think that it wasn't that memorable. AJ Styles next run will be. He will win it from Kurt Angle in a match that has more history and bad blood than the Joe feud did. Furthermore, he will have a heel Matt Morgan to feud with.

Joe's problem was that once he got past Kurt, there was no one left. Now he needs to rebuild his legitimacy. These promos help, but he needs to do it in the ring. This is his third chance. He was intense Joe, then he was Nash's protege. Now he's his own man....That gimmick will fail in a stable war too. He is going to be so far behind AJ by that point that he will be relegated to being Brutus to AJ's Hogan for the long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back