• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Samoa Joe Interview

Joe's Gonna Kill You

The Hunt is On
On his low standing in the BFG Series:
“It’s not looking ideal, but I guess I’ll solider on. It’s all performance based, but the TNA officials and I never had a good understanding when it comes to what’s agreeable and what’s not agreeable in the ring. It’s frustrating because at certain points in my career, I have no problems stomping on anybody. Everybody hits a slump here and there, but unfortunately I’m enduring one at the moment.”

On losing to Kazarian at Destination X:
“What’s your definition of a winner? I walked home, he limped home. I got in my car and drove back to my house. He got into an ambulance and spent the night in an emergency room. I get who the winner and loser is in the record books, but I think we all know who really won that match.”

On why his rumored three-way match with AJ Styles and Christopher Daniels didn’t materialize:
“Cowardice. I’ve known AJ and Chris for a long time while AJ and Chris have known each other forever. They wrestled each other like 22 million times. They respect each other and they’ve already established a professional trust as far as what their limits are to win a match against each other. That’s exactly why they don’t want me in the ring. AJ had every opportunity to turn around and say to Chris, ‘This is crazy. We all know that people want to see you, me, and Joe.’ That’s what the world wanted to see. That was the elephant in the room. Unfortunately Chris had his own agenda and he’s still tooting the same horn about how he got fired. It’s sad, but get over it. You got fired because you’re always sitting there worrying about being better than AJ. It was just them trying to protect themselves and not have a wildcard in the equation. I’m the wildcard because I’m not good to wrestle. You may win, but you’re not really going to win. I want to do it [in the future]. It’s inevitable that the fans want it.”

On his beef with referee Earl Hebner:
“I hope they put me in a situation where I can a decent shot at winning a match fair and square without having to compete against the referee too. They put Earl Hebner in there with me all the time. It’s ridiculous. Earl Hebner is 422 million years old. He has refereed every great wrestling match in the world because he’s been here since the beginning of time. The guy doesn’t have good enough eyesight and coordination to referee and catch people tapping out in intricate submissions. That’s why Brian Hebner works in TNA: because Earl can’t drive his own ass to the arena anymore. He’s blind as a bat. I’m a highly skilled submission assassin. What I do to people, you don’t always see. Earl can’t even pass a bowel movement, let alone pay attention. Everybody will tell me that I’m blaming it on the referee, but look at the evidence. Look at who I’m in the ring with.”

On Generation Me leaving TNA:
“It just wasn’t their time. I think they are talented and skilled enough that they will still do fantastic in the wrestling world. I would not be surprised to see them on a national or international stage very soon. They accomplished so much early in their careers that I think people don’t even realize that they’re still very young wrestlers. I think Generation Me have a very bright future ahead of them. I rate them very highly as wrestlers and as people. They want to do what’s best for themselves and their careers. It’s a sad reality in this business that it doesn’t always work out, but I think an important aspect of it is to recognize what works and what doesn’t, and move on to the next project.”

On the possibility of working with Austin Aries again:
“Austin is one of the most underrated wrestlers in the business. And I think he’s starting to come into his own, especially from what you’ve seen from him lately on Impact Wrestling and Destination X. He’s a dangerous man now because he was already good before. Austin is an unusual eccentric guy, but he brings 110% to his matches and gives it a tremendous effort in and out of the ring. I would love to work with him again.”

Thoughts?

It's like reading a bad efed promo. I mean, it really sounds completely made up, like he believes his own hype. He keeps in character and then tries to break kayfabe by talking about officials etc and then goes back to slagging off Earl Hebner in a really childish manner.

It's just really poor and I'm not sure what he will achieve by doing this interview in that manner.

It's like reading a bad efed promo. I mean, it really sounds completely made up, like he believes his own hype. He keeps in character and then tries to break kayfabe by talking about officials etc and then goes back to slagging off Earl Hebner in a really childish manner.

It's just really poor and I'm not sure what he will achieve by doing this interview in that manner.

Pretty much hit it spot-on there. There's interviewing in kayfabe and then there's...well, whatever the hell this mess is.

Accomplishes nothing but make Joe look silly.

I agree with Numbers...it's not an interview...it's a promo. If it is true that Joe "really" beats up people, isn't that a problem? Would TNA or ANY promotion want a guy who is attempting to fight for real in the ring? If Joe want's to fight, then try out for UFC. Not a wrestling promotion. Joe has talent, but he is going no where right now. He's had his "personality" changed sooo many times that they don't know what to do. I think he shouldn't have resigned with TNA awhile ago and spent some time in ROH again or maybe go to Japan for awhile. Fine-tuned Samoa Joe and then came back. Samoa Joe is basically what Mark Henry was before this push. A big strong guy, who can kick some ass, but 90% of the time is a mid-card talent that needs to be used to make others look better

I knew he was just playing in character with his thoughts on his match with Kazarian, Hebner, etc. But after he got to GenMe, he just...broke out of it instantly? Same for Aries. Honestly, I don't know what I just read. Either a poorly-done promo like Numbers said, or...Joe's just a bit silly, I honestly don't know. I thought he'd actually be giving his real thoughts, but it seems more like he was just hyping himself up.

But yeah, this interview was pretty bad.

I totally agree with Numbers here.

This interview seems a little mixed up. One question he's in character, the next he's shooting. He makes out that Earl Hebner cant carry a match, and then says that Kazarian spent the night in ER.

He needs to work under kayfabe or not at all. This is just a total mess. There was one point where I really thought he would be a great addition to the WWE roster, but it really does seem now like he believes his own hype.

I truly believe he thinks he is bigger than TNA, which is obviously not the case

He seems to waver from in character to his actual self. The cocky parts are just him being "Samoa Joe" the parts with Gen Me were him breaking character. Many interviews when placed on paper don't do actual justice to whats being spoken in context. I've watched Joe speak in interviews, and he is certainly confident in his ability as he should be but he usually sounds humble and silly. I highly doubt this is a case of "He has a big ego, he's better than IW". He has known Kazarian, a.j, and daniels for years and probably has untold respect for those three.

Just an interview here.

Anyone who didn't read Joe's comments as being kayfabe, even with the slight character breaking by mentioning Generation Me's departure, clearly is a fucking idiot. Today wrestling's definition of kayafabe has changed and to be honest I don't think it's for the better, but that's just how it is. The kayfabe that we know of today, has several elements of reality thrown into it, more than it ever had before. I guess it's just something we have to deal with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back