• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sami Zayn- No Charisma???

Glacier

Pre-Show Stalwart
It seems like they are trying to manufacture some sort of hype for
him by making him jump around and act insane. Doesnt really seem
to work as he does not have "it" (neither does Mojo Rawley).

What do you think? Discuss

Well sure they're gonna hype Sami Zayn because it's where a lot of fans have wanted him to be since the brand split started. Zayn has charisma and personality, he's been embraced by many fans since he came up from NXT over a year ago and is someone they've consistently wanted to see pushed. He always gets a good response, he got an extremely good one on SmackDown Live tonight, and WWE going for the whole "Underdog from the Underground" thing is something that Zayn himself cultivated on the indy scene. I mean, on the indy scene, Zayn was better known as El Generico: a red haired, pasty skinned Canadian of Syrian heritage & a practicing Muslim competing as a "luchadore." It was an absurd sort of character when you break it down and look at it like that, but Zayn got over due to his personality and in-ring abilities so he made it work for him.

Zayn's never going to be the sort of guy who gets peoples attention by his presence like Roman Reigns or his size like Braun Strowman. He's not going to be tossing out one liners on the mic like the Rock, he's ultimately cut from the same cloth as Daniel Bryan: a sort of undersized guy who has great passion, can work his ass off and can connect with fans on a bit more of a personal level than your godlike paragons like Cena, Orton or Reigns.

I think WWE have to be commended big time for this 'Superstar Shake-up' and the fact that they have placed the Shield trio on one show whilst allowing Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens to move to the other show.
Age-wise, all 5 guys will be around for the long haul and I do hope WWE will do their utmost to get them to the top with smart character and results booking.

Here's to hoping that WWE finally position KO and Zayn for a great 2017 given the other ME guys are Cena, Orton, Styles and newly arrived Nakamura(all of whom are over 35 years of age).

I think Zayn will finally get the type of platform and focus his underdog persona requires through SD Live's superior story-telling that has been their hall mark since the Brand Split started.

Poor Sami, I'm confident he isn't as bad as Mojo Rawley!

I understand what you are saying in the sense that much of what Raw has given him this past year doesn't truly equate to the hype, but I do think Sami has "it" (and not in the Chris Jericho way). A post above is accurate in comparing him to Daniel Bryan, but I think what separates him from Daniel is his attitude. Sami comes across as a geeky geek, rather than Daniel who just oozed passion. And that isn't to say Sami doesn't have passion. His career truly shows that he has that. But he speaks with such a geeky, common attitude that I find quite entertaining. If you look at the way he was speaking with Kurt Angle the past couple of weeks, or a few months ago with that backstage segment with Rollins and Reigns, you can clearly see that he is just an extension of his own being. He is a geek (I keep using that word but I'm not sure it's the most accurate), but the point is that he is seemingly very relatable in an animated kind of way. But he isn't crazily animated.

I think he and Kevin Owens are quite similar in that regard. Their charismatic personalities seem very realistic - they aren't necessarily larger than life. The way they speak is very legitimate, but I find it captivating that they are seemingly very common in that sense. It's hard to explain, but I think it shows that Sami definitely has something holding on to.

But whatever it is, I can understand why not everyone can necessarily get behind it. No one can deny that he isn't at least entertaining in the ring, but I think he has a personality there too. I enjoy what he has to offer, but it isn't an obvious personality like a Reigns, or Cena, or Wyatt even.

I don't agree with Sami Zayn having no charisma.

You can't have so many people support someone who has no charisma. Nopes, you just can't do it. For me, charisma is something that makes a particular person interesting by any manner whatsoever. And Sami Zayn has charisma. You'll get to see sometime near in future.

Then again, I find Cesaro charismatic as well, so it's for you to decide. I do see charisma in thse both.

Zayn is fine, he will be in the upper midcard probably for the rest of his career. He connects with the crowd because maybe some of them see themselves in him. I wouldn't say he's the next Daniel Bryan but he's cut from the same cloth.

He's not a big guy, but can wrestle with the big guys, extremely talented in the ring and he can talk on the mic in more than one language. That will garner him fans from everywhere. The one thing they have to do though is get him away from Owens. They've been attached at the hips since they debuted. As a fan of both, I want to see what they can do individually.

The added plus is he has one of the catchiest entrances going, another big bonus for me.

Zayn has charisma and personality,
extremely talented in the ring and he can talk on the mic in more than one language.
We must be watching two different guys. I admit I don't watch as much wrestling as I used to because, you know, life and stuff, but I still watch plenty and at no time have I seen Sami Zayn do anything to warrant accusing him of having above average charisma, personality or in-ring skills.

What are you basing these arguments on? I'll use a recent example...when Zayn ran that program with Foley about getting traded to Smackdown and then again when he came out after Foley got fired...Zayn was not just not good, he was bad. He wasn't interesting, he was robotic and he was clearly script-reading.

And when has his in-ring work on WWE TV shown him to be any better than the next guy? He's a decent seller I suppose, but what has he done to show he's a good professional wrestler? What interesting stories has he told? What compelling matches has he had? I'm sorry, I don't understand where you are coming from on this.

In the ring, Zayn seems to have the same problem so many newer wrestlers have, which is an inability to slow down in the ring, a desire to substitute quality with speed. Everything is rushed and the showmanship suffers. But while being just another guy who does the same things isn't a bad thing...it still means he's just another guy who does the same things.

The added plus is he has one of the catchiest entrances going, another big bonus for me.
This is true, his entrance is very catchy and is full of energy. We'll see if he ever measures up on the mic or in the ring.

I don't know. He obviously doesn't have a charismatic look. Although I recently realized his pants have an S and a Z on them. He certainly has had opportunities to be otherwise charismatic. The feuds with Stephanie, Brawn, and Owens have given him the opportunity but it is hard to say how charismatic he has been during those feuds.

He can have a good week then fail to build or continue that momentum the following week. Is that the point? Is he the ultimate 50/50 guy whose purpose is to end up building the other guy? Seems that way which makes it really hard to influence a fan or a crowd.

So no, he hasn't been all that charismatic. Then again, few people on this roster have a lot of charisma, natural or otherwise. Especially the faces.

If he's being judged on actual in ring physical work he would get 10 out of 10 in my view but for an actual character personality wise he would be in the minus range, He looks too normal like an average guy you would pass down the street, Doesn't look like a wrestler, When I think of a wrestler I think of larger than life almost super hero like characters, nothing stands out or makes me want to view his appearances, If I never seen him again I wouldn't miss him. I'm not saying he shouldn't be there as he's not the worst I just think he's not the saviour of wrestling some of you believe him to be, If I was to guess his deserving position in the company I would say he would be somewhere between lower mid card and jobber level.

It seems like they are trying to manufacture some sort of hype for
him by making him jump around and act insane. Doesnt really seem
to work as he does not have "it" (neither does Mojo Rawley).

What do you think? Discuss
Oh i have to disagree and let's end the comparison with Mojo Rawley right now. Mojo Rawley is a fine tag team wrestler, but his character and even his in ring skills are best used when he's a tag team wrestler. the Hype Bros is a great thing for him. without Ryder, he's just cheesy and that act gets old too fast.

As for Sami Zayn, he has charisma. is it what i would call Chris Jericho or CM Punk charisma, no. Sami Zayn isnt a Seth Rollins or even Kevin Owens. he reminds me so much of Daniel Bryan, he wins you over with his in ring skills and what you chant when he comes to the ring or wrestles. his entrance music really helps his character get over and then when he's in the ring the fans chant Ole to rally behind him which makes him even more over. the singing of the song and the Ole chants is similar to the YES chants for Bryan. i am a huge Zayn fan, especially on Smackdown.

We must be watching two different guys. I admit I don't watch as much wrestling as I used to because, you know, life and stuff, but I still watch plenty and at no time have I seen Sami Zayn do anything to warrant accusing him of having above average charisma, personality or in-ring skills.

What are you basing these arguments on? I'll use a recent example...when Zayn ran that program with Foley about getting traded to Smackdown and then again when he came out after Foley got fired...Zayn was not just not good, he was bad. He wasn't interesting, he was robotic and he was clearly script-reading.

And when has his in-ring work on WWE TV shown him to be any better than the next guy? He's a decent seller I suppose, but what has he done to show he's a good professional wrestler? What interesting stories has he told? What compelling matches has he had? I'm sorry, I don't understand where you are coming from on this.

In the ring, Zayn seems to have the same problem so many newer wrestlers have, which is an inability to slow down in the ring, a desire to substitute quality with speed. Everything is rushed and the showmanship suffers. But while being just another guy who does the same things isn't a bad thing...it still means he's just another guy who does the same things.

I hated that crap with Stephanie over Foley getting fired as well. But unless you are Jericho, Owens or someone that can truly hold their own on the mic you will never get past heel Stephanie McMahon. She can be vicious with that microphone in her hand.

As for the rest of your comment. I've always liked his work in NXT, yes he's quick and he can go in the ring. His feuds with Owens are legendary, even going back to the indies. That's why I want to see them apart. Since coming up to the main roster he's been overshadowed a bit by Owens and injuries haven't helped either. His match with Cena for the US title during Cena's open challenge days was great. Even though Zayn suffered an injury at the beginning of it, he put on a great showing.

We'll see if given half a chance he can make a go of it on SD Live. I think once you get him away from Owens and into a feud with the Braun Strowman's of this world, he'll be okay. But like I said, don't see him going further than the upper midcard.

I hated that crap with Stephanie over Foley getting fired as well. But unless you are Jericho, Owens or someone that can truly hold their own on the mic you will never get past heel Stephanie McMahon. She can be vicious with that microphone in her hand.
Had nothing to do with Stephanie, just Zayn's terrible presentation.

As for the rest of your comment. I've always liked his work in NXT, yes he's quick and he can go in the ring.
Not really. He's pretty average in the ring.
His feuds with Owens are legendary, even going back to the indies.
...I'm sure. :rolleyes:

That's why I want to see them apart. Since coming up to the main roster he's been overshadowed a bit by Owens and injuries haven't helped either. His match with Cena for the US title during Cena's open challenge days was great. Even though Zayn suffered an injury at the beginning of it, he put on a great showing.
He had a great showing with probably the greatest wrestler in the world today. I'm not exactly moved. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back