Sacrifice Fly: Not Important Anymore?

CH David

A Jock That Loves Pepsi
I don't know if it is just me, but it has seemed like this season in particular, around the league, there is a lack of emphasis on trying to hit the sacrifice fly. This may just be happening because pitchers are getting better at keeping the ball down in those instances. But then again, isn't it a hitters job to outwork the pitcher and get the job done?

I see a runner on third (possibly first or second as well) with less than two outs, and find it incredible how the runner at third was unable to score. I understand that you want to keep it going with hits, or possibly walks, scoring the runner, moving them up, and you not having gotten an out. However, in tight games where scoring isn't happening a lot, you need to be able to get that run in with less than two outs.

I don't know, is it just me, or is there a lack of emphasis on getting that run in via the sac fly, now?

I've often wondered how often a guy actually tries for a sacrafice fly. Let's say there is a guy on third with one out and Prince Fielder is up. He pops out to deep center and the run comes in to score. Of course the announcers say Fielder did his job and he receives congratulations when he returns to the dugout. Was that really what Fielder was trying for or did he just happen to fly out? I'm all for the sac fly or anything else to get that extra run. The teams that get the sac fly or sac bunts, can execute the hit and run and know how to take the extra base are the successful teams. The sac fly is a very common part of the game. I just wonder what perctange of them is are an intended sac fly and what percentage is just a fly out when a guy happened to be on third.

I think that just about all memories of getting a sac fly are gone from baseball right now. The number one reason for that you might ask me? Plain and simple greed. People love getting paid. They think their needs come before the teams needs. If a person gets a hit, whether it scores the run or not, they think they are in line for more money come either resigning or Free Agency. They are not thinking that if they hit a sac fly, they will not only help the team, but pad their stats a little bit to. With a sac fly they can drive in the run for their team, get an RBI, and not have it count against their average for not getting on base.

People just don't seem to care about sacrifice flies anymore, I guess it isn't about the team but one's personal gain. Sacrifice flies need to be given more credit as pitchers these days are throwing everything low in the zone in those situations, and it is difficult to get it deep enough and up enough in the air to get the job done.

Its not even the sacrifice fly its small ball in general. The Twins are very good at manufacturing runs. Why? Because they move guys over. The sacrifice bunt is another lost cause. Batters go up to bunt and they don't even know how to hold the bat.

For the guy who brought up Fielder, he goes to the batters box not wanting to hit a shallow fly ball and he doesn't want to hit a grounder to the side where the runner is at.

So yeah small ball is non existent in an era where everyone loves the long ball. I wouldn't say its not important, its just not heavily coached or talked about.

I don't think its necessarily greed, its just poor fundamentals. The sac fly is a great tool, but baseball has seen a steep decline in easy execution, see 2009 New York Mets. Defense has also been horrible all around baseball for years, and as Becker mentioned, bunting. The overall quality seems to have gone down, and just the general baseball IQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back