• D.Va

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JGlass

Unregistered User
Round One...

PPBhaUL.png

Two video game powerhouses do battle in this round one match up. One a human equipped with the ultimate weapon, the other a human that is the ultimate weapon. Mind vs. matter, which one wins?

FIGHT!

Despite all of Psycho Mantis' foresight and telepathy he has no ability to dodge D.Va's self destruct sequence. The MEKA suit will explode and Psycho will be burnt to another crisp.

the other a human that is the ultimate weapon.

I think you're confusing Psycho Mantis with my e-fed character :p.

Regardless, this is a really tough one to decide, and I'll come back to it. I'm leaning towards Mantis because an apt strategy is the best way to deal with him as opposed to brute force, which is D'Va's preferred method of battle within the suit. On the other hand, you could make an argument that because D'Va is a gamer, she's probably played MGS before, and knows how to defeat Mantis. But D'Va doesn't really have the ability to warp reality to plug a theoretical controller into the second port.

It is actually possible to beat Mantis without switching Controller ports as Snake, but it takes a very, very long time, during which, you can easily make mistakes and take damage. Apart from her mech-self destruct (which would be a final gambit and takes time to charge anyway), D'Va really has no way to do anything more than minuscule damage to Mantis.

Like Fallout, I'm torn on this one. I'm torn both because of my love for these characters and because I don't actually know who would win just yet. On one hand, Psycho Mantis has telepathy, telekinesis, and brainwashing powers, all very formidable and would absolutely spell the end for D.Va should she get caught with them. However, D.Va's arsenal is spectacular and the MEKA has been shown to be strong against competitors with supernatural powers. I don't think Mantis has anything to counter the self-destruct sequence.

The self-destruct, though, takes time to charge. Time is something that if you're looking to defeat Mantis in MGS1 you'll need a lot of, and Mantis can end a fight quickly thanks to his brainwashing ability and his mind control. That said, while the most popular way to stop Mantis from reading your mind in MGS1 is to switch your controller to another port, one with a strong enough mental barrier can resist it. On top of that, Mantis has a strong attachment to those with powerful negative energy, and if there is one thing pro gamers are, it's negative.

I kid, but I really think that the MEKA's arsenal and guards against the supernatural are seriously fierce competition and good defenses against Mantis's exceedingly powerful psychic ability. He's considered the most powerful psychic in MGS and can even possess people from beyond the grave, so he's hardly a cakewalk.

I'll have to think on this for a bit.

Power: Hana Song's main weapon with her MEKA would be her fusion cannons, which are powerful enough to damage characters who are powerful enough to tank hits that have leveled a skyscraper. Psycho Mantis should be capable of doing the same, however, the D.Va has a self destruct technique that allows it to release enough energy to easily level a city block.

I think D.Va might have the advantage with her self destruct technique.

Speed: Miss Song and her MEKA aren't very fast. Although the D.Va does have a booster system that will increase its speed for a range of up to 25 meters. Mantis's speed is comparable. Both have the ability to react to and defend against gunfire, lasers, missiles and all sorts of projectile weapons.

Both fighters appear to have well balanced speed.

Strength: The D.Va has enough strength to plow through walls. Though it doesn't have much capacity in being able to lift and throw objects. Psycho Mantis can lift several tons with his telekinetic abilities.

Mantis and his telekinesis could pose a major threat to the D.Va MEKA.

Toughness: The D.Va is powerful enough to tank attacks powerful enough to raze buildings and has one of the highest armor ratings of any MEKA in Overwatch. Mantis can survive attacks powerful enough to level a city block with his telekinetic shield.

Again, both fighters seem to be equally as tough.

Other abilities: If her MEKA is destroyed, Hana Song can call for a back up unit. But it takes time and leaves her vulnerable. Mantis can teleport, possesses precognition, and has mind control on top of his telekinesis.

Psycho Mantis has considerable haxed abilities, while D.Va does not. Even its limited flight will be a non factor.

Both fighters are well balanced in both speed and toughness. Meaning that D.Va will probably be trying to batter Mantis with all kinds of rocket, gun, and energy fire while he either blocks with his telekinesis or other abilities, returns fire with his fire and lightning blasts, and the two will probably stalemate. Most likely scenario is that Song will try her self destruct ability, which Mantis will parry, and then he'll win because she's MEKAless.

I see a Mantis victory.

On the other hand, you could make an argument that because D'Va is a gamer, she's probably played MGS before, and knows how to defeat Mantis. But D'Va doesn't really have the ability to warp reality to plug a theoretical controller into the second port.

It is actually possible to beat Mantis without switching Controller ports as Snake, but it takes a very, very long time, during which, you can easily make mistakes and take damage. Apart from her mech-self destruct (which would be a final gambit and takes time to charge anyway), D'Va really has no way to do anything more than minuscule damage to Mantis.

D.Va is not just a gamer, she's the gamer.

Let's put aside the racist stereotype of Hana being South Korean, therefore she's amazing at game, and look at how Hana got in position of getting a Mech: she's in the Korean army. That's right, Hana didn't get bored with being a World champion gamer, but the presence of an omnic monstrosity called for the government to create MEKA's, and look towards Hana as being a pilot for the battalion. Whilst these two worlds will never collide outside of this tournament, but I'd say it'd be a fair assumption to say that this omnic monstrosity may well contain the same destructive powers as Psycho Mantis. I mean, this monstrosity levelled South Korea on multiple occasions, as well as its neighbours (I'll post a link to her official lore story at the end, if you wish to confirm).

D.Va is also a global icon in the gaming world, and streams her real-life encounters for her fans to see. With D.Va being a World champion gamer, it isn't out of the realm of possibility that D.Va used multiple monitors, one which showed chat from the observers. The controller argument, and the difficulties in defeating Psycho Mantis without switching ports, could potentially be nullified by one of the many people watching her streams, even providing play-by-play call-outs on the array of moves Psycho Mantis has to offer. Furthermore, I'd champion to say Hana Song would have multiple options at the ready should Mantis have any tricks up his sleeve, readying up many ports and controllers in her Mech for all occasions. Admittedly, these arguments are stretching the limits; however, Mantis being able to pull some controller shenanigans in a "real-life" battle also seems a little on the stretchy side.

Being a champion gamer, she's dealt with a multitude of mental tactics employed against her. Hackers, cheaters, DDoS attacks... you name it, D.Va has probably encountered it, especially at her level of competition. Again, this is being stereotypical/racist, but there are a ton of gaming hackers in South Korea. On top of this, she's competed amongst the best legitimate players in the world, all of whom are high-skilled gamers; what does Mantis have in his arsenal to topple a high-skilled gamer? Moreover, what can Mantis really do against someone who has experienced the type of hacking and mindfuckery that Mantis was remembered for?

Oh... and did I mention that D.Va was recently buffed?

---------------------------------------

I'm going hard in the paint for D.Va, but ultimately, this match comes down to how quickly Mantis can employ his skills, and take out D.Va, before she gets closer, and/or becomes fully charged and let's her self-destruct blow him to kingdom come. D.Va, being the world champion gamer, shouldn't take her too long to figure out a gaming opponent such as Mantis, figure out how to expose his weakness, and call for the towel to be thrown in.

As I said: D.Va is not a gamer, she's the gamer. Psycho Mantis was not the MGS boss, but a MGS boss. The gamer should be able to beat a boss.

D.Va outplays Mantis, and takes the victory with a self-destruct.

---------------------------------------

Source: https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/heroes/dva/

Falk's point about Hana(D.Va) being the gamer won me over. This lead me to believe that she would have extensive knowledge of Psycho Mantis' abilities and weakness. Sure, Mantis can read her mind, but it's full of nothing but Doritos and Mt. Dew, not much there to help him out. D.Va all the way.

I also really liked Falk's point about D.Va being the ultimate gamer, though for slightly different reasons. Even if she doesn't know the ins and outs of fighting Psycho Mantis, she still has all the benefits of being a gamer (an immensely talented one, nonetheless). Gamers think quicker than non-gamers and are more creative and skilled problem solvers. When they see something isn't working, they have a much easier time adapting than non-gamers.

Not only that, but D.Va's reflexes are likely peak human capabilities. The reason D.Va is in that giant mech that can fly, block projectiles, shoot massive machine guns with unlimited ammo, and explode killing anything in its blast radius is because she is the PERFECT pilot for it. Her mech likely cost billions of dollars to make, I sincerely doubt the Korean Army is just throwing anybody into the cockpit.

D.Va will thrive against a tricky, unpredictable opponent like Psycho Mantis. Vote D.Va.

JGlass hit the nail on the head. I think this will be a VERY close fight as I said in my earlier post, but after some thought I will give it to D.Va. Her cognitive skills and reaction time are through the roof, and giving her the MEKA makes her more than a match for Mantis. Add the X-factor of a possible Twitch stream, the possibility to utilize the self-destruct sequence, and the MEKA's capabilities against supernatural opponents and you have D.Va edging out the win in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back