Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Basic Guidelines:
  1. First Round matches are conducted under basic WWE singles match rules - the really inconsistent ones you see on television weekly.
  2. Polls will open after - approximately - twenty-four hours.
  3. Vote how you like, by whatever criteria you like.
  4. Strictly no alts.
  5. No regions, no arenas, no gimmicks (for now) - everything is based on merit.

Time for match number twelve:

b6y0jb.jpg

Match Twelve
RICKY STEAMBOAT & THE BIG SHOW
"Dragon Show"
vs.
WADE BARRETT & ROB VAN DAM
"The Whole F'n Wasteland"

Possibly one of my favourite matches of this round gets under-way as Ricky Steamboat pairs up with the imposing Big Show to take on Rob Van Dam and the greatest thing to come out of England since tea and crumpets, Wade Barrett.

Ricky Steamboat, a prime example of how wrestling ability doesn't automatically make you an interesting watch. How about a little personality, hey Dragon! Still voting for him though. Big Show is alright. Maybe it's the diet of John Cena & Randy Orton main events, but the Big Show isn't that bad. In my opinion at least.

I'd be more inclined to vote for RVD is he'd changed in any way since the 90's. Wade Barrett, just because you're English doesn't mean I like you.

I question Team Wasteland's ability to get along. Good name though. I also think RVD is pretty good and Barrett is still new enough that I haven't noticed any of his undesireable qualities yet. I don't mind Steamboat and Big Show either, who should be named Big Boat, if you wanna get technical with things.

I guess all have to go with Wasteland here. RVD is a kayfabe monster, actually. He has the edge over Big Show, for the most part. He was also 18-1 in TNA this year. 18-1.

Big Show is just a fucking monster. I mean, he recently went up against one of the most dominant groups, the Straight-Edge Society, in a three-on-one handicap match and won with ease. He has also been apart of many imposing tag teams where his partner is quite impressive, and have gone through the competition like a knife through butter. Steamboat way past his prime was about the same level as Chris Jericho, a former partner of Show who made the team unstoppable... so a Ricky in his prime with Show would completely own.

RVD might be doing excellent for himself, even in his later days, but he's got Wade Barrett at his side. Not too sure, but in the SS main event, it was him and his partner (similar to RVD) against John Cena and still lost. Hell, Barrett didn't even waste that much stamina... yet he had no chance. I can't see Barrett or RVD working something out.

Big Show is just a fucking monster. I mean, he recently went up against one of the most dominant groups, the Straight-Edge Society, in a three-on-one handicap match and won with ease.

Calling any group with Joey Mercury and Luke Gallows dominant is somewhat of a stretch, don't you think? Punk walked out at the end, more or less, making Big Show's win much less impressive.

He has also been apart of many imposing tag teams where his partner is quite impressive, and have gone through the competition like a knife through butter. Steamboat way past his prime was about the same level as Chris Jericho, a former partner of Show who made the team unstoppable... so a Ricky in his prime with Show would completely own.

They weren't that dominant. They lost to both Cryme Tyme and MarkVP at various points during their run as a tag team. They were decent enough, far from dominant like, say, the Nexus.

RVD might be doing excellent for himself, even in his later days, but he's got Wade Barrett at his side. Not too sure, but in the SS main event, it was him and his partner (similar to RVD) against John Cena and still lost. Hell, Barrett didn't even waste that much stamina... yet he had no chance. I can't see Barrett or RVD working something out.

I can't see how Steamboat or Show can be compared to Cena. Really, would either of them have been able to do what Cena did at the end of the Summerslam match? Likely not.

What it comes down to is the fact that Barrett has been dominant since coming to Raw, competing mostly in tag matches, which this is. RVD has been more of less dominant over past few years. They both have awesome theme music. Their team name is awesome. A lot to like for this team.

Big Show, during his most dominant time, was a straight up beast. And Steamboat, still even now, is in great physical shape. Show hasn't found it difficult to beat multi men before. He squashed like 4 guys at some SS, even if they're all jobbers. And he's been champs with Jericho and Kane, two guys who aren't exactly friendly. Besides, RVD would fall under the same category as Hardy/Warrior and probably be too busy smoking dope.

And Show did beat RVD mid 06 for the ECW Championship, even if Heyman turned on him. And Barrett hasn't had enough time to prove anything. Sure he won NXT, but look who he was going against. Tarver? Young? Slater? Give him some more years before he should even be considered.

And Show did beat RVD mid 06 for the ECW Championship, even if Heyman turned on him. And Barrett hasn't had enough time to prove anything. Sure he won NXT, but look who he was going against. Tarver? Young? Slater? Give him some more years before he should even be considered.

That was the only time Big Show beat him though. RVD beat him 2 more times in ECW alone and is 4-1 against him overall. That's just counting 1 on 1 matches.

Sure, Big Show may seem big and all, but when he's lost 80% of his matches to RVD, can you really all him that dominant? Of course not. Steamboat wasn't dominant either. I've already said RVD was and Barrett, well he may just be the most dominant Brit of all time, fella.

Ricky Steamboat was a tremendous wrestler back in his prime. In fact, he still handles himself reasonably well in the ring these days despite his age. He was involved in several matches in his career which were noteworthy. The Big Show is a dominant big man who I feel doesn't get the respect and appreciation he deserves. He moves extremely well in my opinion for such a massive specimen. His spear is devastating. He's been around a while and can be pretty effective in the ring when allowed to be.

RVD, while good, has been resting on his ECW laurels for over a decade now. While he may have been dominant in school gymnasiums back in the 90's, he's a shadow of his former self now. More hype than substance. And while I think Wade Barrett has been impressive thus far in his career and is going to be a bonafide superstar, it's too early to put him on too much of a pedestal yet. Maybe in a few years time I might feel differently, but then, his partner would be older and decreasing further in relevance as well.

WINNERS: RICK STEAMBOAT AND THE BIG SHOW

Wade Barrett is alright, but to be honest, he hasn't really proven himself. Ricky Steamboat was the 80s version of RVD. That's completely bollocks, he wasn't anything like RVD, but he was shit on the mic and jumped about a bit, by the standards of the day. Irrelevant, the truth is though, Steamboat is better than RVD in just about everyway conceivable, and Wade Barrett's big match record is non-existant, and he isn't going to be lifting Big Show up, that's for John Cena only, so this one goes to Steamboat and Big Show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back