Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Basic Guidelines:
  1. First Round matches are conducted under basic WWE singles match rules - the really inconsistent ones you see on television weekly.
  2. Polls will open after - approximately - twenty-four hours.
  3. Vote how you like, by whatever criteria you like.
  4. Strictly no alts.
  5. No regions, no arenas, no gimmicks (for now) - everything is based on merit.

Time for match number nine:

b6y0jb.jpg

Match nine
LOU THESZ & DIAMOND DALLAS PAGE
"Louie In The Sky With Diamonds"
vs.
RANDY SAVAGE & ANDRE THE GIANT
"The Macho Giants"

Two Old School icons pair up to take on the odd couple of Lou Thesz and Diamond Dallas Page.

Be honest people, you'd rather watch an Edge match these days than sit through some grainy Lou Thesz shit on YouTube. You can be a legend and boring at the same time just like a match can be a classic yet still a load of rubbish.

That said I'm still tempted to vote for them over the other team. There is no hyperbole like Andre The Giant hyperbole, certainly not in WZ tournaments. And Sam pointed out to me that Savage spent a quarter of every match hanging around outside the ring. It's true and it's boring when you know it's happening.

Lou Thez is a legend and an icon. Andre the Giant is a bigger legend and a bigger icon. I always liked DDP and he had a nice run in WCW but he is most definitely inferior to Randy Savage. Savage and Andre take this match and may end up winning the entire tournament.

Okay, I'm going with what will undoubtedly be the unpopular choice with DDP and Lou Thesz. Let me explain why...

First off, DDP basically pwned the living shit out of Savage pretty much every single time they met in the squared circle. The only time Savage was ever able to beat him was when he had the help of the nWo. That was it. So, that basically settles the Page vs. Savage deal.

Now, I go with Lou Thesz over Andre because, well, Thesz was a smart, crafty motherfucker. If there was EVER a "small" wrestler in the history of the business that could defeat Ander the Giant, in my mind there's no better choice than Thesz. He had the brains, technical ability, and toughness to pull it off.

Plus, you also have to look at how the teams would get along... Andre could never get along with anybody. Literally, every partnership Andre ever tried to start, it ended up turning to shit. And there's just no way this would be any different with a personality like Randy Savage. Savage is as blunt and demanding as they come, and he would drive Andre fucking nuts. No doubt about it.

And as far as DDP and Lou Thesz getting along... no problem there. Lou would take DDP under his wing, and DDP as a face has always been a very respectable character, so he wouldn't bitch or moan about it. He would know his role, listen to Thesz, and together they would find a way to beat a team like this.

Tough call here. Louie in the Sky With Diamonds is clearly the better name and I have no doubt Thesz and DDP would get along better together. Savage/Andre just wouldn't work out at all. Andre was a massive cunt.

However, a Savage match, and even and Andre match for that matter, would be 100 times more enjoyable to watch than a Thesz match. I'm also quite the Macho Fan myself. What a quandray.

DDP has the edge over Savage, although it isn't exactly overwhelming. I just can't see Thesz taking down Andre though. Macho Giants for the win.

I really want to vote for Thesz & DDP. As a person who's childhood was spent watching DDP get the best of Savage in WCW, I know that he'll have no trouble taking out the Macho Man with a Diamond Cutter. Thesz/DDP also will get along much better than Savage/Andre as they don't have egos to drive the team apart. However, I can't see either man getting the Giant down. This is one of the rare ocassions where power will overcome chemistry. Andre with a splash on Thesz to win the match.

Andre was a dominant figure, polarizing, throughout his entire career. He had a 15 year undefeated run and was really one of the few things that could've stopped Hulkamania. Savage was the top champion during the peak of Hulkamania. Sure, he was still overshadowed by Hogan, but that doesn't change the fact that he held the title for a year and had a lengthy tag-team run with Hogan until they feuded.

To be honest, I haven't seen anything from Thesz, although I do know of his importance to the industry. He wasn't much of a physical specimen compared to Giant, and well, while DDP did get the best of Savage in the late 90's, I'd consider the early 90's more of Savage's prime. And hey, I love me some of the Macho Man.

The Macho Giants all the way.

Andre the Giant was a pretty imposing and dominant figure back in his days in the WWF. While I don't necessarily think his schtick would get over today, he was a huge man who really was a dominant character in the wrestling ring. Combine him with the Macho Man, the greatest wrestler in the WWF to not be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame, and I think we have a pretty solid team here.

Totally unfamiliar with Lou Thesz so I really cannot comment on him in a logical or well-informed manner. I am, however, familiar with DDP and am able to comment upon him. Not really much of a fan. He was OK, but only OK. Not terrible, but nothing special either. And not nearly enough to help his team win this one.

WINNERS: RANDY SAVAGE AND ANDRE THE GIANT

Quite a close one this, but Andre and Savage would have the benefit of chemistry - they could bitch about Hulk Hogan, whereas Lou Thesz, perennial spokesman of those that hate the gimmicky aspect of professional wrestling would hate being on a team with DDP against captain choreography and the freak show. I sincerely doubt that DDP would be able to do anything at all against Andre, and while I think Thesz would probably be able to make some ground, I just don't think he'd be able to finish the job. While it's true Savage had trouble with DDP, it would be a complete lie to suggest that Savage in WCW was anywhere near his best. I think in his 80s pomp, there were very few who could have beat him, and I think the variationin styles in Andre and Savage would be enough to put them through here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back