Round One: Link vs. Ike

Discussion in '4th Annual BattleZone Tournament' started by The Doctor, Aug 2, 2016.

?

Who wins?

1. Link

2. Ike

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Doctor

The Doctor Great and Devious

Round One...

[​IMG]

Two of the Big N's hardiest adventurers clash in a sword fight for the ages! The Hero of Time may have bags of magical artifacts to aid him, but the leader of the Greil Mercenaries is an accomplished military mind who became the hero of his land with the aid of his army. At the end of the day, only one hero can leave the battlefield, and it's up to you to decide!

FIGHT!

2. SSJPhenom

SSJPhenom The Phenom of WZ

This is probably the most even and competitive match up of this round thus far. Idk who to vote for. I'm familiar with Link and to a degree Ike, but not so much. I know they're fairly similar in Smash Bros.

Someone help.

3. Good Golly It's Ollie

Good Golly It's Ollie Magical Girl

Ike doesn't have Link's vast array of tricks, but I think he is inherently more combat-minded when compared against the more of a blank slate, "open-book" Link.

- Raised to use a sword from a young age
    - Strong enough to wield swords designed for two hands in a more "hand and a half" style
    - Blunt personality displays concern with reaching a goal or victory and little else
    - Seriously one of the strongest main characters of Fire Emblem relevant to their own game, certainly by the time of Radiant Dawn
    - Lastly, Ike's sword, Ragnell, is blessed by one half of a goddess, explicitly so it is strong enough to strike the other half down. In a series which has traditionally had breakable weapons or weapons with weaknesses, the Ragnell has none. Also it can strike from range by releasing blasts of energy.
    - Link may be an experienced adventurer, but how is his experience in serious combat environments when compared against Ike? Ike is used to the crazy unpredictability of the battlefield. Unless we're talking about Hyrule Warriors Link; then it might be a different story.

4. ABMorales787

ABMorales787 Lord And Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Ike's sword is blessed by gods. Link as a whole is blessed by gods. Ike was an average mercenary. Link is the reuncarnation of a hero. Constantly prophesied to succeed. Link has beaten the embodiment of evil. Many times.

Dagger Dias likes this.
  5. Dagger Dias

Dagger Dias Natural 20
    Staff Member Super Moderator

They don't get more combat-minded than Link. He takes on swarms of monsters and soldiers inside the temples/towers/palaces in every single Zelda game. Whether it be puzzle solving or action, Link's the better of the two.

So was Link.

I'll give you that one, but Link has the ability to quickly draw the needed item or weapon within has bag of holding to more than hold up in combat here. Link's sword techniques would be sufficient enough to win whether he uses the Master Sword with a Shield or not.

Until Link uses his items to change his strategy and throw Ike off. One must focus on more than on just winning in these battles.

Ike may be stronger, but Link is smarter and faster. His strength is also above average. On his own that is. When he has the Titans Mitt then he's able to lift boulders and statues.

The Master Sword is blessed by three deities as opposed to one and it too releases blasts of energy.

You haven't played many Zelda games have you? Link's adventures in Hyrule, Koholint, Labyrinna, Holodrum, the Twilight Realm, Lorule, and more have shown his adaptation to all sorts of chaotic battlefields.

I like both characters and it would be a heck of a battle, but Link takes the win here.

enviousdominous likes this.
  6. enviousdominous

enviousdominous Behold my diction

I had to go with Link, and I promise that I made a strong effort to make this one fair on Ike's behalf. Link is the Joe Camel of video games, damn near anybody can associate his image with The Legend of Zelda.

These two are very evenly matched on their own, but Link has a few distinct advantages.

Link has the unholy combination of Titan Mitts that grant him ridiculous fore-arm strength and a shield that never breaks. I'll probably be bringing this up again later on if Link moves on, he has a shield that doesn't break and mitts that ensure that he can hold onto it during a barrage. Link can essentially rope-a-dope his opponent from anywhere he stands.

Link is insanely resilient, I think he has the most endurance of any other video game icon. At full health, Link can be hit 20 times by the strongest attacks before going down for the count. A bomb exploding, and ripping into his flesh with searing hot shrapnel, only does maybe three hearts of damage to him.

Both men have been dueling for their entire lives, and would likely match each other's skill level when it comes to combat with swords. Link however has more tricks up his sleeve than Houdini, and has actually managed to defeat his own demonic alter-ego. I give the edge to the individual who has defeated a specter that knew him better than anything else.

Dagger Dias likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.