Round 4 - 5 Super Mario World v 12 Metal Gear Solid

?

• SMW

• MGS

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
250px-Super_mario_world_box.jpg

v

252px-Metal_Gear_Solid_cover_art.png

MGS here for one reason and one reason only...I want the last eight games to be a bit more interesting, if we have four Mario games it makes it a bit boring.

Add to that the fact that MGS is one of my favourite sequels ever, really adding to the mythos of Solid Snake.

VOTE MGS

I am going with Super Mario World here, and that is for one major reason. Sure I love SMW a lot more that MGS, and if you want to take out some Mario games, that is fine, but this, and SM3 should stay, as I doubt most could not argue that they are not 2 of the top 5 games of all time. My one point I will make is this.

Sales: The Slyfox696 method of judgment. A video game company has one mindset when they make a game. That is to sell it. Now lets look at the sales chart. For the Super Nintendo, Super Mario World sold about 20,000,000 copies of the game, being the highest selling game of all time for the 16 pit platform.

Medal Gear Solid of course was sold on a different platform. The world of PlayStation. Now most would argue PlayStation was a lot better than its competitors at the time, as opposed to the SNES, which had come into the market a lot slower than its competitor SEGA. So you would expect PlayStation games to sell well, and they did. But how many copies of Medal Gear Solid sold? 7,000,000. Almost a 1/3 of what Super Mario World sold. In fact, as SMW was the head of a franchise, MGS was after racing games, and Final Fantasy 7 for the PS.

God damnit we have far too many Mario games left Lee, you are indeed correct. That's a good enough reason to vote against SMW here. But take into account it's facing Metal Gear Solid, one of the greatest games of all time, and this is a rather easy choice for me.

Don't get me wrong, I love Super Mario World, it's probably my favorite in the entire Mario franchise (Yoshi FTW!) but we have enough Mario games here. Metal Gear is simply the better game, and one of the greatest experiences I've ever had. I think playing MGS was the first time I realized as a kid that games could be about more than just jumping over things and smashing things; they could be an artform.

MGS for the win here. Gets my vote.

Sales: The Slyfox696 method of judgment. A video game company has one mindset when they make a game. That is to sell it. Now lets look at the sales chart. For the Super Nintendo, Super Mario World sold about 20,000,000 copies of the game, being the highest selling game of all time for the 16 pit platform.

and wii fit has 21 Million sales, does it mean it's a better game? Does it heck. Sales of games really does nothing for me...for example lets look at SMW it was bundled in with the SNES on the NA territories, it would be the same as saying oh Wii sports has sold 45 million copies. You have to look at it that way which sort of wipes out the staggering feat!

Lee gave me enough reason as to why I should vote against SMW. It’s really not that fun when most of the games in the next round might be a Mario game. So to keep things fun and interesting I think people should vote against it.

Now don’t get me wrong, I love playing Super Mario World. It’s one of my favorite games and I always remember playing that game for hours when I went over to my friends house. I usually went over to his place because we were going to go outside and play but then we would start playing SMW and we ended up staying inside. So I love the game but like I said, let’s keep things interesting and fun.

Anyways, I also love playing MGS and it’s one of the few games that I didn’t mind watching someone else play. I have a brother that is kind of selfish when it comes to video games so he wouldn’t let me play a lot but I still liked watching him play MGS. But I wasn’t a dumb kid; I still ended up playing the game when he left to go somewhere else. Even though I didn’t get to play it as much as I wanted to, I still loved that game. Now that my birthday is coming up and I might be getting a PS3, I’m going to buy the latest MGS game and play it as much as I can to make up for all of those times I didn’t get to play it because of my brother. It should be fun.

Anyways, it appears a digressed a bit but I’m still voting for MGS because there is just too many Mario games involved and this should be kept interesting and fun.

So far the best points for metal gear solid going over is there are too many mario games. Maybe just maybe the reason for this is Mario's superiority? Please for the sake of sanity do not vote out one of the top 5 games over medal gear solid due to one franchises superiority.

Do this for yoshi.

So far the best points for metal gear solid going over is there are too many mario games. Maybe just maybe the reason for this is Mario's superiority? Please for the sake of sanity do not vote out one of the top 5 games over medal gear solid due to one franchises superiority.

Do this for yoshi.

This. Yeah, there's too many Mario games left but for god's sake, vote out the others and keep this one. This was by far the best of the series, and the only nearly 20 year old game that I STILL drag out and play once in a while.

Who here didn't kill an entire weekend glued to their TV trying to get all 96 stars. It was 96, right? My memory sucks. Point being, please don't vote out this game just because the franchise is over-represented. Vote out the others, fine, but not this.

I went for MGS, purely because I'm doing this as a representation of their respective franchinses. While SMW does have Yoshi, it was just an extra of SMB3 which is more appealing to me.

Metal Gear Solid was a new game in a long running series, spawning out of the Metal Gear series and further solidified Solid Snake's status as one of the great game heroes of all time. We barely had stealth missions until now and this took gaming a new level, I mean this was practically a movie/tv series all roled into one and it was a game that made you think, you had to time your moves, come up with ways of battling, but also it was a game that let you have the option of being a stealthy slick dude or go in all guns blazing, most games tell you to do one thing or the other but this provided a way of giving you a linear plot in your own control.

I mean where they have some real crazy stuff going on, they give some extra twists in the game (won't give them away). But what always makes MGS great is the fact it spawned 3 sequels (possibly a 4th coming) and they kept rebreaking the mode of how their style should be played. Without this game you wouldn't have what many call the best graphics on a video game ever in the form of MGS4.

I give this to MGS because it's original and many games came to rip it off and improve it, but they kept on making greatness of this genre with it's sequels. See it for this by itself and what it's led to. This game has done alot more to game play than what SMW did, even if it did have Yoshi

Vote Metal Gear Solid

Do this for yoshi.

And your reason for voting for SMW? The sales thing which I totally ripped to shreds and you kind of avoided it. Add to that the fact the game is called METAL GEAR SOLID and not Medal gear solid.

Now look at the jump from SMB3 to SMW not much difference really, add in Yoshi and that's about it, oh yeh it gave us the switches...wow.

Then look at the jump from Metal Gear 2 to MGS it's amazingly huge. MGS is the better game, it's not just because I want a Mario game out.

Though SMW is pretty damned good.

My nod has to got MGS, I love the Mario games and SMW is great great fun and entertainment, but out of these two choices, MGS get's the nod. I just had so much fun playing it, granted it's the only MGS game I ever played, but I had so much fun playing it and watching others plays it, it beats SMW to me.

I don't care how many Mario games are left, I'm still voting for Mario here. Super Mario World was a classic in the series and gave us Yoshi, one of the most underrated video game characters of all time. Metal Gear Solid didn't float my boat the samde way as Mario did.

I'm voting for Metal Gear Soild, but not because I don't like an all Mario finish.. mainly because, if I'm ever going to vote for a Mario game - it'll be the very first one. Once again, I just said this in the other thread. If you've played one Mario game, you've practically played them all.

The 64 version broke into a new level, but outside of that - the majority of these games (Mario I, II, III, World, etc) are all the same type of concept. Its a 2-D environment, with the same goal.. start at the far left, race to the far right, before the time runs out. Woooow. Lame.

On the flip side, Metal Gear Solid broke everyone into a new type of action-adventure game, that wasn't James Bond related, and it wasn't crap-tastic, or entirely unrealistic. It was unique, and fun to play. It was also very adult for what it was worth. Language, even brief nudity.

While I honestly liked the 2nd Metal Gear Solid a bit more, barring the stupid ending, it was the original MGS that introduced the world to a great franchise of military action-adventure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back