Round 2, TNA - Demolition vs. The Hardyz

Discussion in '3rd Tag Team Tournament (2009)' started by Uncle Sam, Oct 1, 2009.

?

Vote your booty off.

1. Demolition

2. Team Xtreme

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Rear Naked Bloke

[​IMG]

Demolition - Ax & Smash
    vs.
    The Hardy Boyz - Jeff Hardy & Matt Hardy

Everything takes place in a TNA ring.

I was trying to think of something witty or even remotely relevant, but I just can't get the Hardy's theme out of my head. No fucking idea why.

My$terio_Fan likes this.
  2. vaderpwnsall

vaderpwnsall Dark Match Winner

Ok, Demolition being 1-9 down is a bit unexpected!
    My memory of Demolition was of a really Aggressive, Strong, Dominant Tag team.
    I had the Hardys down as being a bit spotty (and it is The Hardys and not Matt & Jeff Hardy!). I know they had multiple tag championships, but the championships were changing hands a lot more frequently in the attitude era.
    While Demolition, I believe held the belts on 3 occasions, one of which was the longest reign in WWF(E) history...
    I know the Hardys have a lot of support now, but in their day Demolition were the tits!
    I'm standing my guns.
    A pre Crush Demolition would have manhandled The Hardys and taken a win for sure, but then hey, the vote says otherwise!
    :(

3. jmt225

jmt225 Global Moderator

While I still stick with what I said in the 1st Round when the Hardyz faced the Briscoes about the Hardyz being a one man team, I still have to vote for them here.

Outside of their work with the Hart Foundation, I never really found Demolition to be that entertaining. Sure, they had an awesome finisher, but that was about it. Their wardrobe was absolutely ridiculous, and I personally found their promos to be extremely annoying. And like I said, their work in the ring for the most part wasn't anything special either, unless they were in the ring with the Hart Foundation.

The Hardy brothers on the other hand, while Jeff definitely carried the team through and through, still at least put on some of the best, most entertaining matches in wrestling history. That's enough for me to vote for them. If you want to look at it from a kayfabe point of view, then I would still go with the Hardyz because I don't see how there's any possible way Demolition could ever beat them. I mean, what could they do to keep the Hardyz down? This is a team who has been apart of some of the most brutal matches in professional wrestling history, and I just don't think Demolition would have anything in their arsenal that could put either Hardy down for the 3 count.

4. Viola Moonlight

Viola Moonlight I'm Literally Just Here for WZCW

One good solid tag team competiting against another good solid tag team. Demolition formed a tag team during a time when the WWF had some of the greatest tag teams around were they achieved success. They defeated some of the classic teams such as the British Bulldogs & The Hart Foundation during their peaks. They also held the WWF Tag Team Championships of a record reigning 478 days that has yet to be broken, which they held two other seperate reigns as well.

The Hardyz are probably one of the greatest tag teams of the modern era of wrestling who were very successful as well during a time where other great tag teams formed such as The Dudleyz & E&C. They have won the Tag Team Championships 7 times during their reigns as well as doing very well as singles stars in achieving singles championships. This team was also awarded team of the year in 2000 & had a lot of great matches.

However, despite the TNA ring where Jeff has the most experience in, Demolition will go over the Hardyz no doubt as they were able to defeat the greatest tag teams of all time where the Hardyz did lose their biggest matches against other great tag teams. Couple this with the fact that Demolition possesses the psychology & experience over the Hardyz chemistry as brothers and you have a winning combination.

Demolition will win.

5. X

X RIP Sgt. Michael Paranzino / RIP CM

As much as I criticize Jeff, I love his brother, and as a tag team it's hard to argue how good they were. Though they seemed to always be losing to Edge & Christian or the Dudleys, they had their fair share of success, certainly more than Demolition. Yeah, Demolition had a legendary tag title reign in the 80s, but let's be honest here people; they were nothing more than a Road Warriors rip-off, and not a very good one at that. How many classic Demolition matches can you think of off the top of your head? One, maybe two?

My vote goes to the Hardyz here.

6. D-Man

D-Man Gone but never forgotten.

Gotta go with the Hardy's here.

Like X said, Demolition, although being an extremely powerful and memorable tag team, never had many memorable matches. Plus, in the six-sided ring, that gives the Hardy's 2 more corners to use for their high-spots. Plus, TNA is known for it's spotty wrestling style, so it caters to the Hardy's.

7. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Rear Naked Bloke

Holy shit. What the fuck? Shocky is rolling in his metaphorical grave. I gave Demolition a free place in the tourney because they were his favourite team, you know.

Unfortunately, I agree with the people voting Hardyz. I've never been a massive fan of them, although my appreciation of them has grown recently, but I definitely prefer them to Demolition. Shame, too. I thought I was going to be hard pushed to come up with some valid arguments. Too easy.

8. gd

gd Plump, Juicy User

I'm really surprised by the margin here, I guess the Hardyz are really liked around here.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan. I like both Matt and Jeff, but he Hardyz never struck me as a great of dominant tag team. Most of their best known matches were losses in TLC matches. They obvioulsy were very good together and had great chemistry, but they weren't a great team.

I'd think that Ax and Smash wouldn't take kindly to any of their pretty boy girations and would pound them soundly into the ground. I don't see how the Hardyz could deal with the kind of size and strength from an experienced team like Demolition, so I voted against Team Xtreme here.

9. Theo Mays

Theo Mays Part Time Poster

This one is tough here. I like Demoliton and I'm not fond of the Hardyz (I prefer them solo). But I think in TNA the Hardyz would be able to go hog wild with their craziness and high flying and they would defeat Demolition here. Now Demolition will control this with their strength, but the Hardyz need those one or two moves to get back into and seal the victory.

EDIT-Oh crap, I accidentally voted for Demolition, doesn't look like it'll matter though.

10. It's...Baylariat!

It's...Baylariat! Team Finnley Baylor

FUCK THE HARDYZ!

I cannot believe the man love for the two most inept wrestlers in the past 10 years. Demolition specialized in immobilizing their opponents and beating them down. The Hart Foundation, Legion of Doom, and other quality tag teams were no match for Demolition. On the other hand, the Hardy Boyz were overrated spot monkeys who didn't really beat anybody and were beaten up consistently by their opponents. But of course, this is 2009, and no one except for a mighty few remember anything wrestling wise past 2000.

I voted Demolition, although it's a losing battle.

11. NSL

NSL Life's A Bitch, And Then You Mosh

Everyone here has lost their minds. Put down the ciga-weed, and step away from the WZ. Seriously...I expected a blow-out...But, the other way around.

Sure, Matt and Jeff have more room to do flippies, but I'm also pretty sure that it doesn't matter which corner they fly off of, Ax and Smash will club them out of the sky. And then, once they're on the ground, keep pounding on them as they're known to do. Jeff can take a beating, Matt cannot. Isolate Matt in the ring, and just keep beating his skull through his ass.

Vote Demolition...

12. X

That's a bit of an exaggeration. Matt is a damn good wrestler, and Jeff has improved vastly. There have been far more inept wrestlers over the last decade. Hundreds.

So did the Dudley Boyz. So did the Acolytes. The Hardys can beat big strong guys like Demolition.

They made a name for themselves bulldozing such amazing teams as the Killer Bees and the Can-Am Connection. No offense to those teams and the other B-teams that populated the WWF tag scene at the time, but it doesn't exactly impress me.

And to say that the Legion of Doom were no match for Demolition is pretty ridiculous considering LOD beat Demolition several times, and Demolition never scored a single victory over them as far as I'm aware.

Utterly false. Matt is not a spot monkey. Jeff used to be a bit of one, but I don't see how being a spot monkey invalidates him as a wrestler. I'd take Matt and Jeff over the Ax & Smash any day of the week.

And to say that they never really beat anybody is also pretty ridiculous considering the 6 WWE Tag Title reigns they had, with victories over Edge & Christian and the Dudley Boys among many others, two of the most successful tag teams in wrestling history.

You know I'm one of those few Lariat, and I'm telling you brother, Demolition are overrated as shit, and not on the Hardys level.

13. Shocky

Shocky Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz

Wow, the Wrestling IQ has seriously dropped in massive terms over the last few months, that and the blinding man love for anyone with the name of Hardy. Seriously, the Hardy BoyZZZZZZZ were nothing more then a redo of the Rockers, and the Rockers sucked ass. The Hardys got their tag title reigns in an era of hot potato tag champions, and in an era where everyone that is over gets a belt.

You take the Hardys of the early decade, and put them 10 years before in the early 90s or late 80's, and guess what, they are curtain jerkers getting their asses kicked on All American Wrestling. You take Demolition, put them in the era when the Hardyz were oh so KeWl, and Demolition probably wins 5 WWF championships.

I'm not surprised by this outcome, the youth of the forum is clearly beginning to rear its ugly head, but it's allf or shits and giggles. Any wrestling fan of more then twenty years should be ashamed of themselves for voting for the Hardys.

NSL likes this.
  14. X

Uh-oh, Shocky has come out of wrestling posting retirement to defend his beloved Demolition. It's been far too long my fellow Evolution brother.

The Hardys didn't though. The Rockers were jobbers, the Hardys won several Tag Titles at a time that the WWE tag division was better than ever before.

"Hot potato tag champions" is a bit ridiculous, because that argument could be made for the last near 20 years of pro wrestling. With more and more TV and PPVs, title changes are more frequent, that's the nature of the beast.

The tag division during the Hardys reigns was one of the best of all time though.

So's Rey Mysterio. So's Chris Jericho. Anyone who isn't roided-up to the point of bursting wasn't going to be successful in the WWF during that era Shocky. Hardly invalidates them as wrestlers.

Hell no they don't. Demolition would have been shit all over if they were in the WWE in the 2000s. Come on Shocky brotha, you know as well as I do that Demolition was a poor man's LOD, and LOD stopped being popular well over a decade ago. Throw Demolition into the last era of WWE tag teams, and they're a Velocity and Sunday Night Heat tag team. You think Vince would rather push Demolition over the last decade over E&C, Dudleys, and Hardys? Hell no he wouldn't. Demolition wouldn't have worked in any other era than that of the cartoonish 80s.

Come now Shocky, let's be honest here. The real reason you think this is such bullshit is because of your personal loathing of the Hardy brothers. You've always hated them, likely always will. They're still a far better tag team than the overrated as shit Demolition though man. Demolition couldn't wrestle their way out of a paper sack, they were clumsy in the ring, and the only reason they were so successful was because Vince wanted to exploit the popularity of a Road Warriors rip off.

The Hardy Boys is the right decision here. MAN it's been a long time since I responded to a wrestling post of yours Shocky. That felt good.

15. Tastycles

Tastycles Turn Bayley heel

I prefer the Hardyz to Demolition, but I don't think they would win here. The Hardyz did well against teams that were of a similar level to themselves, big powerful guys never had a problem with them. They often lost to bigger wrestlers, and even in their upper midcarder era they lost to Cade and Murdoch, who are hardly tag royalty.

Demolition, for the most part, made light work of teams much smaller than them, as Strike Force, the Hart Foundation, The Rockers and The Killer "Hardys of the 80s" Bees will testify. This one goes to Demoliton, I'm sad to say.

16. Shocky

Shocky Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz

Ahh X, I wish to copy and quote, but I fear my inferior computer will have to settle for paraphrasing.

Yes, I wouldn't vote for the Hardy's in almost any circumstances. They are awful, god awful. They haven't justified the love they get fromt he IWC in my opinion. Spot Monkeys, oh yes, to the Nth degree. I feel that most people voting for the Hardy's do so either because they don't know who Demolition are, or they are visualizing Matt Hardy, ECW Champion, and Jeff Hardy WWE Champion, as a team together in 2009 vs. Demolition, that's not how it works.

Demolition made a living of dominating tag teams of the same size and stature of the Hardy Boys, and did it for a long time. You call them Road Warrior Rip Offs, I call them taking an established gimmick, and running with it. Demolition were a more popular unit from 1987-1990, whether as face or heels, then Legion of Doom or the Road Warriors at the time. Superstar Billy Graham made the cool cocky gimmick before Hogan, but Hogan clearly is the man known for that gimmick, not graham or Ventura. Demoltion took the Road Warrior gimmick, and did more with it, and at a time when the tag titles were at their highest worth.

You believe the Golden Age of WWF tag wrestling to be this early decade, I would call it the Silver Age. The Tag Teams of this early decade are vastly inferior to those that existed at the tail end of the 80's. I'd take a roster with teams like the Colossal Connection, the Brain Busters, the Hart Foundation, Strike Force, the bulldogs or hell, the Rockers over a division full of teams that had an inabilty to hold onto the tag belts for longer then 3 weeks at a time.

If this match were a flaming spot monkey table ladder match, then i might give the nod to the Hardlyz, but in a straight up wrestling match with no gimmicks, Demolition would pound both like rail road spikes into the mat.

17. King Patrick Star

King Patrick Star K. O. T. R. 2007 -€“ Team Undisputed

Even though I’m late, I’d like to throw my 2 cents in this matchup. I would have gone with the losers in this one, Demolition. Power vs. Speed has always been an interesting matchup. Now experience isn’t much of a factor in this match due to the success of both teams. When it comes down to it, it would have been the outside factor of Crush and Lita. I think the Street Warriors have the advantage here because of the old switch-a-roo factor and the Lita Liability factor, both working against Team Extreme.

I guess the age demographic for this tournament may side with the Hardys. One could also look at it like Ax and Smash vs. a former WWE and World Champ and a former ECW Champ. In that case, Hardys it is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.