• American Beauty

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The 1-2-3 Killam

Mid-Card Championship Winner
r2empirevamerican_zps7295e35f.jpg

Round 2: Empire Strikes back vs. American Beauty

This poll will close on Thursday, October 25th at 2am PT (ish)

Empire Strikes Back will likely take this, but my vote is going to American Beauty.

Kevin Spacey had a great run of film in the 90s and this was arguably his best role. His transformation from awkward and passive husband/employee to his determined and confident self at the end is great to watch.
Lester is in a place of relative comfort when we first meet him but it is also a place of stagnancy where his thrill of the day is having a tug in the shower. He works in a typical office environment where his boss is several years his junior. His social life is seemingly dictated by his wife's need for ascension up the social ladder; "Oh Lester, stop being weird!" "OK honey, I'll be whatever you want me to be."

Let's not also forget the other characters; his daughter Jane seems to be going through her own existential teen crisis too as her best friend is a shallow bitch, but the introduction of another troubled teen, Ricky, and his attentions towards her seemingly brings her to life. Ricky's dad is also brilliantly played by Chris Cooper as the gruff ex-marine Col. Frank Fitts whose no-nonsense approach is undermined a couple of times by Ricky causing Frank to make some rather drastic actions.

American Beauty is a fantastically well-rounded film with every character having at least one defining moment, with the chemistry of the cast really adding a lot to those moments. That's not to say ESB doesn't have defining moments, of course it does, but American Beauty shows what a great cast can do with such a relatively simple story.

I didn't vote for Empire over Inception so I'm certainly not taking over what is my favourite film.
However enjoyable Empire is, if you take on American Beauty's message, it will improve your life. I don't think you can ask for more from a film. Those last few minutes where Lester lets go of the past he's trying to reclaim and finds happiness in what he has, might be the most the most beautiful committed to film.

However enjoyable Empire is, if you take on American Beauty's message, it will improve your life. I don't think you can ask for more from a film.

Yes. Yes of course you can. I can take on all the methods and messages of School House Rock; doesn't make them the best movie of all time. Sure I'll have top note grammatical skills, and I'll know all there is to know about how a bill is formed in the government, but that doesn't immediately denote quality. Now, temporarily putting aside the argument, School House Rock is fucking awesome. And American Beauty is fantastic. I'll I'm saying here is that your logic is flawed. Who the hell goes to the cinema hoping for a blockbuster that will "work on you" and "make you a better person"?

Also, Empire Strikes Back has a way better, more clear message than American Beauty could ever hope to have: you don't leave your main hand unprotected when the Dark Lord of the Sith is wielding a lightsaber in your general direction!

I've never been all that impressed by American Beauty and would probably say that it is up there with Fargo as one of the most overrated movies I have ever seen.

It is dripping with teenage angst/mid life crisis bullshit that in virtually any other movie would be greeted with groans. At no point did I feel any sympathy or empathy with any of the characters, who are basically all self-absorbed assholes, most of whom make very little in the way of personal discovery, despite pretensions to otherwise.

ESB on the other hand makes few such pretensions. It continues on the theme of simple story-telling of the age old Good vs Evil with the twist that in this film Evil wins. After a classic snow battle, a space chase, the introduction of a syntax-challenged "warrior" and the betrayal and redemption of a friend, one of our heroes is frozen solid and the other has been physically and emotionally crippled by his father-nemesis.

I've always thought American Beauty was horribly overrated. Of course, Kevin Spacey and Annette Bening provide some star power, but American Beauty just feels like a typical 90's mainstream Hollywood comedy/drama. Plus, this film features too many unlikeable characters.

Irvin Kershner had to top A New Hope, which received praise as the perfect sci-fi/action blockbuster, but Kershner nailed it. Think of all the disappointing sequels throughout the history of cinema. The Empire Strikes Back isn't just a great film, but it's widely regarded as the best Star Wars' film in the entire series. The Empire Strikes Back features one of (if not the most) shocking surprises/cliffhangers of all-time, and Empire is loaded with memorable quotes. Plus, the visuals are just breathtaking and extravagant. The Empire Strikes Back is a prime example of imaginative and spectacular sci-fi/action filmmaking.

I can understand why Empire might win here, but it really shouldn't. American Beauty had the fantastic acting of Kevin Spacey in a role that no other actor really could have pulled off as well as him. The tragedy of American Beauty and how dangerous the prejudices within post modern society can be are beautiful storylines and make for a brilliant picture.

I get that Empire has a bigger following because its a blockbuster and lots of people saw it, but it does not have the artistic value of American Beauty.

I've never been a huge Star Wars fan. However, in my opinion, The Empire Strikes Back is by far the best of the Star Wars films. To me, it had the stronger story, easily the most character development of the leading characters, the characters were more endearing overall and the revelation of Vader being Luke Skywalker's father had to be a major shock to moviegoers in those days. The action didn't have as big or an epic feel to it as the first or the third films, but the story that was told and finally learning some of actually what a Jedi is and is all about more than made up for that.

American Beauty, to me, is a great drama that featured a great cast that all performed their roles to near perfection. Kevin Spacey & Annette Benning, for instance, were the perfect example an unhappily married, middle age couple desperately looking for something meaningful in their lives. You both liked and disliked either of them because you could see both their good and bad qualities.

In the end, I'm going with Star Wars, however, because it's just simply the more memorable and influential movie. American Beauty, while having a great cast, was ultimately just another drama with a few laughs tossed in here and there. The Empire Strikes Back is one of those movies that, 30+ years later, people still talk about and compare.

I watched American Beauty last year for the first time but I just ended up skipping ahead to see Thora Birch's huge boobs and kind of stopped after that.

Empire on the other hand could be argued as my favorite movie ever. I've watched it dozens of times and it still hasn't got old. The characters, the story, everything meshes perfectly together in my eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back