Round 1, WWE - New Age Outlaws vs. Mega Powers

Discussion in '3rd Tag Team Tournament (2009)' started by C.M., Sep 18, 2009.

?

Winner?

1. New Age Outlaws

2. Mega Powers

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C.M.

C.M. WrestleMania Main Event

Round 1, WWE:
    New Age Outlaws
    vs.
    Mega Powers

No spam and no flaming.​

Will saying their prayers & eating vitamins be enough for New Age Outlaws to beat Hogan & Savage?

2. gd

gd Plump, Juicy User

I know the New Age Outlaws have a lot of support by a lot of people in this tourney, but they got a pretty bad draw. They're facing Randy Savage and Hulk Hogan, the two best wrestlers of their era. Hogan is the most dominant wrestler of all time and Savage invented the term highflyer. O top of that, they have one of the best valets ever, Miss Elizabeth. I just think that NAO is overmatched in one, and see how I could vote for them.

I don't want to hear any arguments about them not being a real team and not being able to get along either. They were together for the better part of a year and didn't start having problems until the end of their partnership, which you shouldn't take into consideration when voting.

Mega Powers are the right team to go with here.

3. klunderbunker

klunderbunker Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House

How in the world can the Outlaws win here? In short, they can't. Hogan and Savage beat two people that either are in the Hall of Fame or that should be in the Hall of fame in DiBiase and Andre clean. There is simply nothing that Gunn and Dogg can do to win here, plain and simple. Do you really think a Fameasser or a piledriver is going to put one of these two monsters away? Take my word for it: not a chance in hell. the Mega Powers move on with ease.

4. Mr. TM

Mr. TM Throwing a tantrum

Lol. Hogan and Savage. Two of the biggest wrestlers of all time. Against Kip and Jesse James? Yeah, Hogan gets a lot, and I mean a LOT of heck on this board. but Come on, his teaming with Savage and Miss Elizabeth is the reason why many of us started watching wrestling (us older than 20). That team put on great matches against their opponents for almost an entire year. They were the main event. NAO were a tag team that was in the middle of a card.

5. SavageTaker

SavageTaker Everybody Has A Price!

I don’t know how anyone could convince me to not vote for the Mega Powers. They are two of the best wrestlers of their era and are simply put, better than NAO. I wasn’t really a big fan of NAO and even if I was, I don’t see how they could be able to go over Hulk Hogan AND Randy Savage. Two of the biggest names of their eras and in professional wrestling against a tag team that some consider one of the best if not the best tag team ever, I think NAO got a bad draw here and it's an easy decision for me.

6. Theo Mays

Theo Mays Part Time Poster

Wow. Poor NAO. I was really hoping they'd have a strong run this year in the tourney and this is how they are greeted. I want to vote for them, I really do. Even if they have the help of DX and try some heelish tactics, I still can't see them going over the Mega Powers. Savage and Hogan are two of the best wrestlers ever and putting them together makes them even stronger. Though it kills me to do it, Mega Powers FTW.

7. X

X RIP Sgt. Michael Paranzino / RIP CM

Yes, they beat Ted "Jobber to the Stars" DiBiase and Andre "Far, FAR Past his Prime" the Giant. How impressive. :rolleyes:

Don't forget they also beat that legendary tag team of Hakeem and the Big Boss Man!

I'm royally pissed by this drawing, especially because people are going to see Hogans name and go "Well Hogan is teh r0xorz so he winzzz!!!1!". Let's actually take a look at their accomplishments as teams though, shall we?

Mega Powers - ...Nothing. Not one tag championship, ranked #57 by PWI in the 100 greatest tag teams of it's era.

New Age Outlaws - 5 Time WWF Tag Team Champions, ranked #43 on that same PWI list. 15 tag titles between both Road Dogg and Billy Gunn.

The New Age Outlaws are far more accomplished than the Mega Powers, who's sole purpose for existing was to further develop a storyline between Hogan and Savage. If you're going to pull that argument, you people should all be flocking to the team of Cena and Batista as well, because they're the same case.

The New Age Outlaws are arguably the greatest tag team in the history of the WWF. During their era, there was NEVER a more accomplished tag team. They were literally the most successful tag team in WWF history up until that point. That includes teams like the Hart Foundation, the Bulldogs, and yes, the Mega Powers (who again, accomplished absolutely NOTHING).

First off, let's remember, this is NOT a tournament of singles stars paired together. It's a TAG TEAM tournament. And anyone who's going to make the argument that the Mega Powers were a better tag team, please go ahead and show me what they did better than NAO. Because as far as I can see, the NAO could handle these two.

I mean, let's take a look at some of the teams the NAO defeated. They destroyed the Legion of Doom. Not just defeated, they DESTROYED LOD, one of if not the most dominant tag team of the last 20 years. Defeated them with total ease. They also defeated Mick Foley and Terry Funk, two of the absolute craziest wrestlers of all time. Not only defeated them, but again, EMBARRASSED them. Edge & Christian? Dispatched with more ease. They absolutely dominated the tag team division for nearly 3 years during the Attitude Era, the most important era in the history of professional wrestling.

Again, what have the Mega Powers done? Not what Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage alone have done, what have they done as a team that makes them better than the NAO? Seriously, someone tell me. Because the answer is abso-fucking-lutely NOTHING.

The right vote here is the New Age Outlaws. The team that made LOD, Mick Foley & Terry Funk, and Edge & Christian all look like complete jokes and jobbers. You think Hogan and Savage would be trouble for them? Hardly. Come the fuck on people.

Vote for NAO. There's absolutely no way in which the Mega Powers are a better team, not a single criteria.

8. Lee

Lee Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!

Mega Powers:

August 28, 1988 - Summerslam: The Megapowers defeated Ted DiBiase & Andre the Giant with Jesse Ventura as referee..
    November 24, 1988 - Survivor Series: The Megapowers were the sole survivors in their match against DiBiase's Team..
    February 3, 1989 - The Main Event: The MegaPowers defeated the Twin Towers with a truckload of controversy..

THREE MATCHES I can only find three matches that the Mega Powers were in and then one of these were as part of a survivor series team. One had Miss Elizabeth help them to win and the other was the Miss Elizabeth knocked out controversy!

How the hell do they beat the NAO? A team that was together on and off for some eleven years against a team that teamed three times of which one had an argument and the other was in a survivor series match?!

Look guys it's a tag team tournament, the Mega Powers weren't that good as a team as is obvious by their lack of matches as a team, the NAO were dominant during the era of Hardyz, Dudleyz, APA, E&C and they demolished LOD.

X likes this.
  9. It's...Baylariat!

It's...Baylariat! Team Finnley Baylor

This is just a terrible draw for the NAO. The NAO are the stereotypical overrated team. All flash, no substance. Only one single title between them and had to depend on HHH to get over in a faction. Mega Powers are just that, Mega and Powerful. Hogan and Savage are great wrestlers. It's not that they didn't wrestle too much as a tag team, but they would beat a LOT of good tag teams these days. And would have NO trouble with the NAO. I voted Hogan and Savage and have no remorse for doing so.

10. jmt225

jmt225 Global Moderator

Hmm... let's see.

Perhaps the greatest, most popular tag team in the history of WWE vs. a team who was only put together to start a feud. Yeah, umm.... I'm going with The New Age Outlaws here , and so should everyone else.

The Mega Powers were a storyline, not a tag team. They teamed up to build to a match at Wrestlemania. That's it.

The New Age Outlaws, on the other hand, basically carried the ENTIRE tag team division during the Attitude Era. Until the Hardys/E&C/Dudleys came along, there was nobody other than The Road Dogg Jesse James and the Bad Ass Billy Gunn in WWE's tag division worth a damn. And you know what? That's all the division needed because those two were just beyond fucking awesome. Every time you heard, "Oh, you didn't know?" come on those speakers, the place would go absolutely insane. The fans LOVED these guys. And if you were watching back then, then I guarantee you loved them as well. It was impossible not to. They were just fucking cool, and their matches and promos just kicked so much fucking ass.

Seriously, vote NAO here people. They're an actual tag team who deserve to make it far in this tournament, if not win the entire thing. Please don't vote a "Dream Team" who were only together to cry about Elizabeth two months later, over one of, if not THE, the greatest tag teams in WWE history.

X likes this.
  11. Viola Moonlight

Viola Moonlight I'm Literally Just Here for WZCW

Hulk Hogan & Randy Savage are two of the greatest stars ever to grace the ring of professional wrestling. They made their success famous in many singles matches & have some work in tag team matches, but they do not have the essential or the requiste tag team knowledge that the New Age Outlaws possess. Mega Powers are much like Centista. Two big singles stars that just won't be able to handle these main tag matches.

My vote goes to the NAO as they have great tag team experience, know each other thoroughly & have been around for quite a bit, succeeding in both the WWE & TNA. If they can adept themselves to more than one environment & take on any-comers, the should fair well against Mega Powers.

12. NSL

NSL Life's A Bitch, And Then You Mosh

I'm going with the Mega Powers, because I'm an American dammit.

This is the worst possible draw for NAO in my eyes. I don't care what you use to argue for the NAO, neither of them stand a shot at beating Hogan in the ring, or beating Savage in the ring. Strangely, Savage is the most athletic of the bunch, and Hogan is the strongest. There's not a thing the Outlaws could to to hold down the force of the universe, and all the little Hulkamaniacs.

Maybe, if they took their vitamins and said their prayers, they'd stand a chance ;)

13. Tastycles

Tastycles Turn Bayley heel

The whole point of the Mega Powers was that they didn't get along, whereas NAO are one of te best clicking teams in history. That being said, The Mega Powers never lost, and they did beat some recognised tag teams, although they did only have about three matches together. Everytime I become certain the Mega Powers would win, I think of a reason why they wouldn't. That being said, ask yourself this, can you ever, in any situation, imagine Hulk Hogan being pinned by Billy Gunn? Because I can't, so I'm going Mega Powers.

14. X

Seriously, Mega Powers going over NAO is insulting. This is a TAG TEAM tournament. Someone explain to me a single category or facet of tag team wrestling that makes the Mega Powers better. Not what they did as SINGLES wrestlers, what they did as a tag team. If Hulk Hogan can lose in a tag team match to Christian and Lance Storm, there's no reason he and Savage wouldn't lose to the NAO, who carried the entire WWF tag team division during the most popular period in wrestling history. They're the Hulk Hogan of TAG TEAMS! Someone, PLEASE, explain to me what facet of tag team wrestling are Savage and Hogan better in than the New Age Outlaws? Not a single category.

VOTE FOR THE NEW AGE OUTLAWS!

15. It's...Baylariat!

It's...Baylariat! Team Finnley Baylor

I'll play devil's advocate here, but what kind of competition did they have in the form of Tag Teams during their reign? Because the New Age Outlaws fizzled out after about a year or so, then tag teams like the Hardyz, Edge and Christian, and the Dudleys carried the tag team landscape.

They beat a over the hill Road Warriors to win their belts and LOST them to a team consisting of Mankind and Terry Funk. Mind you, a Mankind and Terry Funk that were not that good and way over the hill respectively. In two short years, this team fizzled out and combusted under it's own attitude. They're highly overrated as a tag team and I'm not surprised they're being beat. That being said, they should go over the Mega Powers, were more of a storyline tag team than an actual tag team.

16. X

They made mince meat of everyone during their run. Five tag title wins is no small accomplishment, especially during that era. During that era it was unheard of. They made a name for themselves completely humiliating and destroying legends like the LOD, Mick Foley, and Terry Funk, what would stop them here?

They also beat that same team before and threw them off of the stage inside of a dumpster during one of their matches, sending both out of action. They won the titles back from Foley and Funk in 24 hours anyways. Besides, LOD are pretty much the most dominating tag team of all time. And NAO embarrassed them.

Funk you could argue (though I'd strongly disagree) but Foley was certainly not over the hill in 1998. He wasn't in his early 90s Cactus prime, but he still put on countless great matches during that stage in his career, and is best remembered for his work during that era. Foley was definitely not over the hill, and Terry Funk? The man could be 95 and he'd still be a worthy opponent.

As compared to the Mega Powers fizzling out and combusting under their own attitude in less than a year? That's not a very good argument to use with such a shortlived team as the Mega Powers (a team that wrestled a grand total of maybe five matches, half against terrible teams like Hakeem and Big Bossman).

So wait, you agree with me? Don't play Devil's advocate, support NAO! We already have enough people voting for the Mega Powers, if you think NAO should win, say it man! We need YOU Lariat!

17. Mantaur Rodeo Clown

Mantaur Rodeo Clown X-Pac Rules

Xfear needs me I suppose. New Age Outlaws all the way for me. A much more enjoyable tag team, and a much more cohesive unit. I don't want to be a revisionist, but they were better in terms of tag team wrestling. They won more titles, being 5 tag titles compared to none, and pretty much ran the house in the late nineties concerning tag team wrestling in the WWF.

NAO.

18. Blue Chipper

Blue Chipper Shapeshifting Humanoid

I knew from the get go that Mega Powers were going to have immense support and possibly win fluently; I was the first one here to show support to NAO (first pro NAO voter) and the votes were a staggering, one-sided 1-5.

Let me guess, MP voters are voting for Centista too, right? Afterall, they're two main eventers, paired up soley to advance a storyline and not actually deliever any definite substance in terms of anything mildly relating to tag team wrestling whilst not being a fully cohesive team.

Lets all forget how incredibly entertaining NAO were, and just casually spot out the bigger names regardless of their tag team success. NAO garnered major success. They were fun, entertaining, and had contagious, definite chemisrty. Flip the coin, Mega Powers were a largely forgettable team. They accomplished what exactly in terms of tag wrestling? They are just like Centista. NAO are a legit team. JMT was spot on, this is a travisty. A major one; people are blinded by just the mere mention of Hogan.

VOTE NAO

19. Loveless

Loveless A Life In Monochrome

Cena is not Hogan, Batista sure as fuck isn't Randy Savage and Billy Gunn and Road Dogg don't come anywhere near Dibiase and IRS, physically or technically. I can't stand Hogan but teamwork is only going to get you so far. Individually, NAO are so totally outmatched I can barely believe people are even arguing it.

20. gd

gd Plump, Juicy User

First of all, it's already been said that NAO didn't really have that great competition for the tag belts. Mostly a past their prime LOD and a before their time Hardyz and E&C. I'm not buying the "great competiton argument."

Secondly, I know this is a tag tourney, but think that NAO are going to win just because they are a "true" tag team. Sure, you can look at all of some of their accomplishments, but they are still facing Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage. Regardless of how great they were as a tag team, there is no way Billy Gunn or Road Dogg can beat either of them here.

They've never pinned anyway near Hogan or Savage level in history and it wouldn't happen here. You can talk about tag success all you want, but that can't hide the fact that NAO is completely outmatched here.

If they were the "Hulk Hogan" of tag teams, you think they'd be much higher, eh?

Tastycles and Just FalKonika like this.
  21. y2jerichoholic

y2jerichoholic New Member

xfearbefore, i noticed that in the triple h thread you noted that he'd beat beer money by himself - isn't the same true here with hogan and the nao? i don't see the difference lol. and savage is probably better than both combined too. if that logic applies to triple h/chavo vs beer money it sure as hell applies here i'd imagine. correct me if i'm wrong?

22. Tastycles

Tastycles Turn Bayley heel

Greatest and most popular tag team in the history of WWE? Really? I'm not being funny, but they were popular largely because they were in DX. Nobody gave a shit about them before that, they owe much of their popularity to their association with X-Pac.
    Except they teamed together for a year. A whole year. They started having problems about 4 months before survivor series.
    They were influential, and probably the most significant tag team of the time, but when the competition is slapdash teams, Bart Gunn and Bob Holly, The Godwinns and The Headbangers, it is not suprising they carried the division. As soon as decent teams like Edge and Christian, the Dudleys, the Hardys etc were ready for the limelight, the NAO were thrust to one side pretty abruptly.
    Right, so is that why the titles were regularly put on main eventers and upper midcarders randomly put together for no reason rather than entrusted to the Outlaws. I'm sorry, the fact that they weren't enough to carry the division is why Kane is a 9 time tag team champion.
    All true. Probably in my top 10 wrestlers at the time, particularly Road Dogg, but I just don't see any stand out victories for them that makes me think they could hang with true main eventers. They won the titles off tag teams and Mankind on his own. Their biggest win was against Rock and Sock, who are probably the most overrated team in history, and who also lost to the Hollys, as did the Outlaws, as it happened. I loved them, I really did, but I can't see them winning over a team that consisted of the two most over people in the company at the time. They had their chance in their day, against Austin and the Undertaker, and they couldn't do it. Hogan is better than Austin, Savage is better than The Undertaker, it just doesn't make sense to me.

Those two wrestlers, in kayfabe and non-kayfabe, outweigh probably anyone the NAO ever beat, except for maybe Rock n Sock.
    Both main eventers at that time, which is more than can be said for, say, Thrasher and Mosh.

I'm sorry, but this tournament is absolutely full of shit like this, people, including myself, only bitch about it when it suits them. The Rockers will go far in this tournament, despite being completely shite as a team when they were together, but you know, Shawn Michaels was a world champion.

The PWI rankings mean nothing. Demolition are the longest reiging tag champions in the biggest company, and they are ranked 60th.
    As much as the successes of Billy and Chuck and the Smoking Gunns are incredible, they are irrelevant. As for their 5 tag team championships, power to them, and the length of the reign is something they should be proud of, but look at who they won them off: LOD in 1997, Chainsaw Charlie and Cactus Jack, who had recently beat them twice, Mankind on his own, Rock and Sock, and Mankind and Al Snow. That is hardly a who's who of tag teams, or anything, is it. The Mega Powers beat 2 teams of main eventers, the NAO were top of a crap division.
    Except Hogan and Savage spent a year on the house show circuit and they never lost a single match, Cena and Batista lasted a week and beat a team once and lost to the same team a week later.
    Being more accomplished than bodacious Bart and bombastic Bob isn't really very difficult.
    How were they more accomplished? More championships? I guess that means Jeff Hardy is more successful than Bruno Sammartino then, right?
    They never lost a match. The New Age Outlaws never beat anyone very good
    That is completely bullshit. Destroyed indeed. You realise that they are called the Outlaws because JR called them it after they stole the win in that match. That's not a decisive win at all.
    They lost at WrestleMania, and then beat them the next day when X-Pac and HHH interferted for them. That isn't a decisive win, is it?
    They beat Edge and Christian when they were still in the Brood and long before they were tag champions.
    Dominated for three years? Bollocks. They dominated for about 2 years when the only recognised teams were things like the Headbangers.
    Well, they've never lost. I think that gives them a fighting chance against a team that has lost to Crash Holly.
    They didn't make any of those people look like jokes, they fluked wins against shit teams. The Mega Powers beat everyone they ever faced, all of whom were better and more accomplished wrestlers than the New Age Outlaws.

Single criterion. And yes there is, wrestling.

"5 tag titles was unheard of", the fucking Smoking Gunns had won 3, its only two more, not that hard for a team that were never going to be singles stars. Mick Foley won 8 in the era the Outlaws were winning titles, that goes to show how quickly the titles change hands.

They embarrassed them by cheating? Really, I thought the aging LOD didn't look that bad really.
    Yep, and when it was a fair two on two they beat the Outlaws, it was only when DX cheated that the Outlaws won.

Right, except there wasn't weekly television in those days, nor was there monthly PPVs. They won on every single PPV in the era they were together and regularly won on the house show circuit. Gunn turned his back on the Road Dogg after they had been together 18 months, its hardly that different, then they returned and were absolutely put in their place by the Dudleys.

gd likes this.
  23. King Patrick Star

King Patrick Star K. O. T. R. 2007 -€“ Team Undisputed

Let’s be realistically Kayfabe here (talk about an oxymoron). If I were the booker here, and I had the New Age Outlaws vs. the Mega Powers in the first round of a Tag Team tournament, I would have Savage turn on Hogan towards the end of the match. I mean, yes, the Mega Powers are great…individually, but as far as Tag Teaming goes, Hulk and Randy would “not be able to co-exist”. The James Gang are one of the greatest Teams ever. It’ll be close, but I think the Voodoo Kin Mafia should be able to pull it off…together.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.