Round 1: Ty Burna -vs- Falkon

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-Man

Gone but never forgotten.
Which is the better Ladder match? Shawn Michaels vs. Razor Ramon (Wrestlemania X) or Chris Jericho vs. Chris Benoit (Royal Rumble 01)?

This is a first round match in the Debater's League. Ty Burna is the home debater and gets to choose which side of the debate he will be on and who debates first, but he has 24 hours to make his choice.

This thread is for DEBATERS ONLY and will end on Friday at 2pm EST.

Good luck.​

I will be debating the side that the Jericho and Benoit ladder match was better. Scotty can go first.

Listen up:

Announcement: Scotty has unfortunately backed out of the tourney. Therefore, Falkon will be replacing him. As of right now, no Punctuality points will affect Falkon unless they can post in here prior to 5pm tomorrow afternoon EST.

Good luck to you both.

Good luck, Ty. Let's have ourselves a good clean fight. You leave the Ouija board, I drop the stethoscope?

I'd also like to ask if we can both refrain from using the argument of the Chris Benoit incident. It was an unfortunate occurrence and mentioning the WWE removing him from their history is something we can't control, as well as taking the low road in terms of professional debating.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

We both cannot deny that the involvement of the Ladder match in the professional wrestling industry has been for the better. It has proven to be an exciting match that's quite simplistic in design that even the most absent-minded of fans can understand it, yet allow for some sophisticated maneuvers to be executed that have been rarely attempted in the past in a much easier fashion. However, when we compare one match from the other, a more detailed approach is needed to determine which one was the more superior bout. Today, ladies and gentlemen, I've been given the privilege of showing why the Ladder match between Shawn Michaels and Razor Ramon for the Intercontinental Championship at WrestleMania X is the better of the two options listed above.

Critically Acclaimed: It Got The Higher Ratings

I'm sure you a familiar with the Wrestling Observer featuring one of professional wrestling's greatest journalist Dave Meltzer, right? You know, that man has developed a rating system where he takes into account every single aspect of the match and aggregates his calculations to give a star out of 5, which has been regarded as one of the most accurate systems all round. For the WWE, the feat of achieving his highest rating of 5 stars is something very rare... I believe the number of around four is the amount been given to the company. Can you have a guess as to which one of the those four matches that could be and to why I have included this paragraph into my arguments? That's right... the Michaels/Ramon Ladder Match at WrestleMania X was one of those recipients. Forgive me if I am wrong, but if one of two matches has received a five star award for how great the match was and the other hasn't, which one would immediately come to mind as the better match?

I'm pretty sure that it's safe to say that Meltzer was right on the money when he gave the call. The wrestling fans appreciated what the two did that night and how they performed that they wanted to see more. It was voted as Match of the Year on numerous, reputable sources including the Wrestling Observer. On top of this, the fans wanted to see a rematch and relive all the excitement the match had to offer. So, as a smart businessman would do, the WWE gave the crowd what they wanted and offered a 2nd match (with the exact same stipulations) at the next year's SummerSlam. Now, considering that the fans didn't have as much internet access as we do today to find out all the latest information and gossip, this match was still quite fresh in their minds. Who wouldn't? I mean, the effects of how great matches are wanted by the millions... AND MILLIONS... of fans can be felt to this day. The first example that comes to mind would be the Shawn Michaels/Undertaker encounter that happened at WrestleMania 25. People absolutely adored that match and thought it was an excellent match, enough to give it the Match of the Year award... and they wanted to see more. Naturally, the company gave them exactly what they wanted at the following WrestleMania.

With the support of the fans to entice the company to re-schedule the match and the highest rating possible from a highly-regard rating system, that match at WrestleMania X must have been an instant classic. Now, what did the Chris Jericho vs. Chris Benoit match receive?

Memorable: It Was A Defining Match

It has been noted that there were quite the amount of Ladder matches before the one between Ramon and Michaels took place, happening both inside and out of the WWE. However, none have cemented a place in any of the fans hearts as something truly memorable. Because of this association and connection it had with the fans, it is considered widely as the match that put the "Ladder concept" on the map. If it wasn't for this match, there wouldn't have been any Money In The Bank matches. There wouldn't have been any Tables, Ladders & Chairs matches. There wouldn't have been the Chris Jericho vs. Chris Benoit Ladder match.

Not only did the match define itself, it also got a chance to shine out as being the match that made WrestleMania X. When someone goes back and takes a stroll down memory lane, what is the first thing they usually associated with an event? Simply, it's the best performances showcased. In preference to WrestleMania X, a lot of people would give you the answer of Ramon vs. Michaels in a Ladder match. As we run through the card, these two had a tall task ahead of them... and I am not referring to climbing the rungs of a ladder. They had to go on after such matches like Owen vs. Bret Hart, and a World Championship bout. You read that correctly... the Intercontinental Title, the second best singles championship in the WWE at the time, was featured AFTER a World Title bout, the best singles championship. Yet still, they were able to score higher ratings and remembered more by the fans than the Main attraction. When we apply the same reasoning to the Chris Benoit vs. Chris Jericho ladder match... it wasn't nearly as good enough to be remembered and was overshadowed by that year's Royal Rumble, which saw Kane's dominance and Steve Austin's victory.

Ty Burna, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Due to Ty unfortunately having to step away from the fed, I give an immediate default win to Falkon: 5 Points

Sad that Ty couldn't debate, I wanted to hear his arguments.

CH David scores this FalKon 5, Ty Burna 0.

FalKon gets the win. It looks like the sky's the limit for you in this league, hombre. I'll be as vigilant as ever, but that doesn't mean that I have complete confidence in your ability to go far in this thing.

Final Score

FalKon: 5 (Punctuality, Informative, Clarity, Persuasion)

It wins by default. It made a post. Ty did not. Therefore Ty couldn't score any points.

Falkon - 5
Ty - 0

After a complete judge's tally, Falkon is the victor with 20 points to Ty Burna's 0.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back