• Alien

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The 1-2-3 Killam

Mid-Card Championship Winner
jydTj.jpg

Round 1 Match: Scott Pilgrim vs. Alien

The polls will close for this match on Friday, October 19 at 12:00pm.

The reigning movie tournament champion takes on the Generation Y cult classic. It's Edgar Wright vs. Ridley Scott; Nostromo vs. Sex Bomb Omb! Will "the world" be enough practice for Michael Cera and his quirky band of rejects, or will Ripley steam roll the competition once again this year?

Wow, this is a surprising first round match and one that has me at a loose end.

As a movie Scott Pilgrim vs the World is one of my favourite movies, crammed from wall to wall with great music, funny dialogue and its just a straight up awesome movie.

However, it's up against ALIEN; arguably the only great Sci-Fi Horror. The movie that made Sigourney Weaver a star and made people sit up and pay attention to Ridley Scott.

I won't deny that Alien is a technically better film, hell I won't even deny its a more IMPORTANT film, but the fact is on a Sunday afternoon with a couple of hours to kill to watch a movie, if these two were my choices I'd watch Scott Pilgrim every time.

If this was Scott Pilgrim Vs Aliens, maybe I could make an argument for the former but it's not. Scott Pilgrim was clever, funny, innovative, stylish and in years to come it'll be seen as before it's time, but even that isn't enough to be better than Alien. Alien is simply the pinnacle of horror, whether it's sci-fi, slasher or body horror. An unpleasant, vicious film with the nastiest creature ever committed to film.

I'm voting for Scott Pilgrim.

Reasons why:
- I'm not a big fan of horror and the first Alien movie is definitely a horror flick.
- I don't like Sci-Fi much, either.
- Scott Pilgrim just oozes awesomesauce.
- I like Scott Pilgrim better.

Those are good enough reasons for me.

I don't exactly remember the Scott Pilgrim movie all too well. Is that where Michael Cera plays the quirky quiet teenager who falls in love with a girl and overcomes the odds to get her? While the style, the music, and the story were all new and fresh it still followed the same old good feel formula that any movie with Michael Cera stars in. If at any point in time you had no idea how this movie was going to end, just remind yourself that Cera was starring in it so everything will turn out a okay.

Alien on the other hand went outside of the box with both horror and sci-fi. It placed the cast of survivors truly against all odds. A ruthless, savaging, acid blood spitting monster that wanted nothing more than to face fuck anything that had a heartbeat. And to top it all off they were in a dark, deserted space craft. With no way to escape and no conventional weapon to take it down, it just oozed with that good ole fashioned horror goodness.

Alien traps Michael Cera into a airlock and sends his shit into the emptiness of space.

Alien is a signature movie of the horror genre and arguably Riddley Scott's crowning achievement in motion picture making. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World was wildly popular with hipsters.

Alien is just the better movie as well as the more important in terms of motion picture history. Easy win for Alien here.

I could watch Scott Pilgrim whenever, and I probably wouldn't get bored of it. Second only to Get Him to the Greek in terms of films I put on when I'm cleaning, and have seen several dozen times. The movie is extremely clever, but as already stated it had an incredible niche appeal. If you're not a gamer, or if you really weren't influenced heavily by Gen Y culture, the movie is probably going to seem really stupid to you.

Then again, Alien is a terrifying, yet wholly thrilling piece of cinema. It still stands after all these years as one of the best sci-fi films ever, and I probably take it in once a year, if not more. Iconic, would be a good (yet over-used) word.

I guess you could say Alien is a better film to a wider audience of people. If there is such a thing as objective superiority, it has it. But do I want to vote for the movie I love once a year, or the movie that keeps me coming back once every month or two? I don't know. Convince me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back