Round 1; mario Kart 64(35) v PSO(94)

Discussion in 'Video Games Tournament (2009)' started by Lee, Jul 1, 2009.

?

?

1. Mario kart 64

2. Phantasy Star Online

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lee

Lee Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
    Staff Member Super Moderator E-Fed Mod

[​IMG]

v

[​IMG]

2. X

X RIP Sgt. Michael Paranzino / RIP CM

Mario Kart 64 all the way. Probably the greatest multiplayer game of that generation of systems, if not ever made. Back in the late 90's I remember all of my friends would just surround that glorious N64 box and just race and race and race for hours and hours. One time we had a birthday party for a friend of mine and we literally did nothing but play Mario Kart for like 4 hours. Definately the best in the series, hands down.

Phantasy Online...never played. Maybe I shouldn't be voting on match-ups in which I haven't played one of the games, but oh well. It'd have to be ridiculiously good to best Mario Kart 64.

So, I went with Mario Kart.

3. jmt225

jmt225 Global Moderator

Mario Kart 64, while not my favorite game of all time, is still the most fun I've ever had playing a game, ever. When I was a kid, I would spend my summers in Houston with some family members, and my cousin, his step-daddy, and I spent countless hours playing Mario Kart every night when Robert (the step-dad) would get home from work. It was so, so, soooooo much fun, and probably my favorite childhood summer memories outside of obvious things.

So, obviously, I vote Mario Kart. It holds a special place in my heart, and there's not many games in this tournament I would consider voting over it. And that especially includes games I've never even played, such as PSO.

Tenta likes this.
  4. Hyorinmaru

Hyorinmaru Sit Upon The Frozen Heavens

OK I've played MK64 and I loved it. Me and my borthers 7 sister would play eachother in this game all the time when we were younger and we would actually do it calmly which was a plus (to our mother anyway). Multiplayer was awesome as was the single player.

I've never played PSO but it looks fun even though I've never been a fan of online gaming.

By default my vote goes ot MK64 although I proabaly would have voted for it even if I had played PSO

5. Fizzy

Fizzy Mid-Card Championship Winner

Mario Kart for me revolutionized good racing games. It had more to the game then just see who can finish first. It was fucking great. Me and my cousins still play it all the time.

PSO isn't bad, but it sure isn't great or by any means better than Mario Kart. It's graphics were ok at best, and the gameplay is pretty good, but like I said Mario Kart gets my vote.

6. Ty Burna

Ty Burna Getting Noticed By Management

Tough match up for one of my favorite Dreamcast games.....

Anyway let me tell you why I'm voting for Phantasy Star Online, this was one of the very first games, if not the first game to allow online playing via console. The single player game was decent, but the online aspect of things is where it really shined. This was back in the days of Dial up internet, and surprisingly it worked well. The weapons, items, etc were diverse, and raising a MAG was always a blast. I really do miss playing that game, I know I can play the newer version for the 360, but purely on nostalgia, nothing beats the original PSO on the Dreamcast.

Mario Kart was fun for the 64, I enjoyed it personally, but Mario Kart has never been a series that I've waited impatiently to play. I counted the days until PSO came out, and I was not disappointed.

Skullz Crack'Em likes this.
  7. D-Man

D-Man Gone but never forgotten.

It is impossible for anyone to NOT have fun playing Mario Kart with multiple players. When you're involved in a racing game with your friends, things tend to get competitive. Now, take that mentality, add in some banana peels, turtle shells, and other ways to crash your friends' cars, and you have a game that is an endless amount of fun.

Phantasy Star is nothing more than a second-rate Final Fantasy and I have no respect for any of it's games.

Mario Kart gets the checkered flag.

8. HEEL Blazy

HEEL Blazy #HEEL

Mario Kart 64 all the way. I use to love playing this game back when I had it. It was really fun and I've always loved Mario Kart games series also. Plus the fact that its racing and I love racing all together it just always was something fun for me and my friends and family to do.

9. Bernkastel

Bernkastel Reaper of Miracles
    E-Fed Mod

Mario Kart 64 is easily one of the best multi player games ever made. Even a decade after its debut and prominence the game can still be enjoyed as the life of any gaming party. For example, at both of my colleges, there have been more Mario Kart 64 (not Wii) tournaments then any game. This includes a list of such greats as Halo 2, Super Smash Bros: Melee, Goldeneye, Mortal Kombat 3, Soul Caliber 3, and COD 3.

The only drawback of the game (and this will most likely be the downfall of this game in this tournament) is that its 1 player mode is incredibly lacking, however, that is not enough to hinder my vote

Mario Kart 64 FTW

10. Leeds Guy

Leeds Guy Retired Former WZCW EurAsian Champ

Im going to vote Mario Kart 64 but before I do I have to say this is one boring game. The original SNES version was much better and longer than this one even the DS version is better than the 64 version. The problem with MK 64 is that it was just too easy even on the highest cc I was finishing first all the time. It got to the point that I was deliberatly giving them a head start to make the races more entertaining for me. Another thing I didn't like about It is the fact that its too short, I could cruse through all CC's and Reverse mode in around an hour. I'm voting for it here basically for its multiplayer ability which was fantastic, I did enjoy beating my freinds and family on this, but that will can only take it so far.

Another reason why I'm voting for it is because I have no idea what PSO is. Although again I have looked it up on youtube and Google and it looks like a poor mans Final Fantasy which is probably a problem that most of us will face in this tournament, fair play to it, it seems like a game I'd enjoy playing but MK's multiplayer takes it past it.

11. Skullz Crack'Em

Skullz Crack'Em Celtic Warrior

Just as I thought, PSO is losing due to lack of knowledge. It also came out for the XBox and GameCube. I have the GameCube version and I still play it today, it is very addicting. Overall, the action does get repetitive, but finding rare weapons and armour from monsters is very rewarding and motivates you to keep playing and collect all of the cool weapons in the game.

I already voted for Mario Kart Wii, which is the superior Mario Kart game anyway, so I am not voting for Mario Kart 64. The nostalgia is pissed off at me, but I am voting for Phantasy Star.

12. Spunky

Spunky Lovable degenerate.

Mario kart 64: My favourrite game of the series, But not the best. It was my favourite game of series simply because me, And 7 friends had a league of Mario kart, Where we would race each other, And keep stats, Points won, Etc, Etc. Which meant we spent dauys, Upon days wasting our childhood, Just racing. Yet it never got old. Great memories. This gets my vote.

Phantasy star online: It was a great game for the dreamcast, It revolutionized the gaming world with it's online capababilties.

13. gd

gd Plump, Juicy User

Gotta go MK64. The game was just pure fun and I think that it should go very far in this tournament. You could play it with your friends for hours and never get bored.

PSO is ok, I've played a few of the versions on Gamecube. It's nothing special though and definetly not good enough to move past a classic game like this.

14. NSL

NSL Life's A Bitch, And Then You Mosh

This is another case of "I've heard of one, and not the other". Mario Kart 64 would get my vote anyway. This may be the best game on that system (remember, I don't like a lot of the regular games), and is still fun to play to this day. If anyone's got the balls, I challenge them to a race...I'll use Wario...Any track...

15. Hip2bsquare

Hip2bsquare Pre-Show Stalwart

Gotta go with Mario Kart 64 with this one. Many hours of fun was had playing Mario Kart, even though I didnt get many victories and had to turn to cheating for my victories.

Played some PSO. Thought it sucked to be honest.

16. Mr. Steve

Mr. Steve Everybody calls me Ruxin, Rupert.

Mario Kart 64 for me. It's the game I grew up with! I have played PSO but I wasn't all that attracted to it at first.

17. Lee

You're on.

Mario kart 64 was one of the N64 big guns that I owned, up there with mario 64, Goldeneye, Jet Force Gemini, Lylat wars and OoT. The game was immesnly fun, and a good 3D racer for the time.

Shame that PDO has mario Kart 64 in the first round, it was a great game and the first major console online game, quite enjoyable as a whole. I still vote mario kart though.

18. Lee

Mario Kart 64 Wins

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.